Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stupid people are alot happier in life than smart people.

• 21-06-2012 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Discuss.

You must be the happiest person on earth!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

RealistSpy wrote: »
    You must be the happiest person on earth!!

Im so sad :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Toothpaste89

Discuss.

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Poor effort, must try harder.

D-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Could be on to something here OP,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

What if the dumb person is depressed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

You're supposed to give your opinion too OP, but I think you might be right on some basis. You see a lot of people who are happy all the times that tend to be a little, well, slow.
    I don't agree though that that's a fair statement to make.
    So many lazy people who are unhappy.
    Out of my friends, the smarter ones tend to be happier.

Their ya go, to opinions. I cant loose :D

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭BoDiddly

If that's true I'm on a par with Stephen Hawking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I do think you're right op.
    On a completely different note, I suffer from quite severe bouts of depression more often than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

Id say its more to do with over thinking everything than being smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

keithb93 wrote: »
    Id say its more to do with over thinking everything than being smart.

Em you mean Over analysing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Resign yourself to the fact that you're going to be dead within 100 years and nothing you can do will change that. Most of what you do will be forgotten as well, so you are left with two choices:

Give up or be happy.

Then again, there's always Atari Jaguar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Its true. I'm pretty happy in my knowledge that 2 + 2 = 5

Also, ever hear of “ignorance is bliss”? Well, that was me, ignorant and blissful. Now, thanks to you I am aware of my stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

There has been a noted relation between intelligence and mental illness or creativity and mental illness.

Possibly, intellectualization, as noted by Anna Freud, as a defense mechanism in the development of the personality is more common in those who are actually more intelligent.

But then again most people suffer from depression or some sort of mental illness during their life so it would be hard to qualify what the OP is suggesting.

Possibly a greater predilection to suppress negative feelings and thoughts in the less intelligent and a greater predilection to intellectual solutions to the problem in the more intelligent, therefore a predilection for intellectual pursuits as well as a greater focus or attention with their issues, as these people would be inclined to try and resolve their issues by thinking through them.

But then again I have no idea. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭whendovescry

Smarter people generally put more emphasis on tomorrow and are always in pursuit of something greater. They have elevated levels of dopamine in the expectation of happiness rather than happiness itself. They work hard in school to get into the university of their choice, they rigorously apply themselves there to impress their professors to get into a prestigious graduate school and to obtain a Phd. They then land the job of their dreams that is paying handsomely, but is never quite enough, so they continue striving for endless promotions, fellowship grants, tenure and a litany of awards. Before they know it, 70 years have passed and they can finally spent their remaining days in the most distinguished nursing home.

While others, you can call them less intelligent if you like, live in the moment, making the most of what they have and ultimately live a happier life.

I'm pretty smart. And I'm always happy.

So you must be wrong.

Sorry OP :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Smarter people generally put more emphasis on tomorrow and are always in pursuit of something greater. They have elevated levels of dopamine in the expectation of happiness rather than happiness itself. They work hard in school to get into the university of their choice, they rigorously apply themselves there to impress their professors to get into a prestigious graduate school and to obtain a Phd. They then land the job of their dreams that is paying handsomely, but is never quite enough, so they continue striving for endless promotions, fellowship grants, tenure and a litany of awards. Before they know it, 70 years have passed and they can finally spent their remaining days in the most distinguished nursing home.

While others, you can call them less intelligent if you like, live in the moment, making the most of what they have and ultimately live a happier life.

I wish I were stupid. :(
    I genuinely think your second scenario sounds way more appealing, yet, it just does not/would not make me happy.
    So instead I will live my days in the pursuit of something that only truly comes from stopping the pursuit and just 'being'.
    Must do one of those 'mindfulness' courses - they teach how to be in the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

I've often wondered do stupid people know they're stupid...?

• Advertisement

shar01 wrote: »
    I've often wondered do stupid people know they're stupid...?

Do you think you're stupid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Yes because they don't realise how fúcked they are

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

It's true to an extent, but it's not the good kind of happiness.

A pig rolling around in his own filth is very happy, but I wouldn't want to swap places with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Do you think you're stupid?

Naw... yes... wait! Should I be? Would that help me win friends and influence enemies.

shar01 wrote: »
    Naw... yes... wait! Should I be? .

Hmmm. This does not help with a definitive answer to your first question.

Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

I do agree with this in some ways OP, stupid people do seem to be happier than most others, although there are one or two exceptions, either way I hate them just as much, we all know at least one person that walks around smiling all day. God I hate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Ignorance is bliss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Those who who endlessly have thoughts going through their mind are more prone to depression. Conceptualising everything loses its essence. A sunset is awe inspiring when you look at it with no thought, when you think, label, conceptualise the sunset, it loses that ability to inspire awe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

People with lower expectations are likely to be happier, being more easily contented with what they have. Not sure lower expectations equal stupidity though, as it seems like a pretty smart way to live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Dunno about the stupid vs clever happiness factor, but definitly those who lack self awareness are more happy. You can meet some awful gobsh1tes who are convinced they are the dogs danglies and are very happy about themselves altogether and seem to do very well in life with an almost "blindness" to any negativity. Personally, I spend far too much time self-analysing and self-criticising to every be truly happy. I kinda expect too much off me and do a good job of beating myself up mentally if I feel I've fallen short of what I expected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Pottler wrote: »
    Dunno about the stupid vs clever happiness factor, but definitly those who lack self awareness are more happy. You can meet some awful gobsh1tes who are convinced they are the dogs danglies and are very happy about themselves altogether and seem to do very well in life with an almost "blindness" to any negativity. Personally, I spend far too much time self-analysing and self-criticising to every be truly happy. I kinda expect too much off me and do a good job of beating myself up mentally if I feel I've fallen short of what I expected.

Why not do your best and accept whatever you did as good enough. How far your best takes you is merely a genetic lottery so why make yourself miserable over which side up the dice landed.

Also how do you know people think they are the dog's bollix. Maybe they are smart enough to realise to not care about comparing themselves to other people and just enjoy themselves carefree.

Advertisement