Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Czech Republic vs Portugal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,082 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Good to see the best team win out.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

people got a bit carried away with messi display again brazil IMO.

This is for the Messi vs Ronaldo thread

But suffice to say that if I could be arsed to find the **** this thread, I'm outta of here gif, I'd have posted it after reading the above.

If Ronaldo had scored a hat trick vs Brazil friendly or not, there'd be a change of tune for sure from you undoubtedly.

Anyway, I'm just happy because I just won a ****load thanks to him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

did ronaldo say "messi" into the camera when he scored??

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

No. He said 'para ti'. People are obsessed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

paulieeye wrote: »
    did ronaldo say "messi" into the camera when he scored??

Just why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

rarnes1 wrote: »
    What a player ronaldo is, always catches a bit of flak when he doesn't score while messi pretty much gets away it. Should be on a hat trick again.

Big difference in doing it in frendilys and on a competitive international stage, people got a bit carried away with messi display again brazil IMO.

Why do people need to criticise one of Ronaldo and Messi when praising one of them ? Pathetic

I never criticised messi at all buddy , I'm just saying my opinion which i think is clearly evident that messi seems to get away with having a bad game where as ronaldo doesn't !.

I also said people looked to much into his performance in a frendily game which IMO they did, never once bashed his game. I'm a fan of both of them, they are head and shoulders above everyone in football ATM.

If you would of watched rte tonight you'd know what I'm taking about, giles and dunphy were still critical of ronaldo even though he's put in a great display, they just can't imithe he's either as good as or not far behind messi.

The bottom line is ronaldo deserves so much more credit than he gets, he's done it all in England and Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Whatever you wanna say about Ronaldo, you have to admit the guy is an amazing athlete, reminds me of Tiger Woods, LeBron James, Floyd Mayweather etc in this context.

Enjoyed that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

kryogen wrote: »
    Just why?

In fairness, the fact he emphasised the importance of himself scoring the goal before acknowledging the relevance of his country going through to the next round says it all about the young man!

monkey9 wrote: »
    Just why?

In fairness, the fact he emphasised the importance of himself scoring the goal before acknowledging the relevance of his country going through to the next round says it all about the young man!

You got to love that though, he's an entertainer , his personality on the pitch can be very humerous at times.

How is that any way related to what I asked? :confused:

(btw, it does not "say it all about the man")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    Whatever you wanna say about Ronaldo, you have to admit the guy is an amazing athlete, reminds me of Tiger Woods, LeBron James, Floyd Mayweather etc in this context.

Enjoyed that game.

He's an absolute phenom in that respect. The perfect athlete. Tall, strong as an ox, lightening quick and can out jump everyone else on the pitch. The only other player that I could compare him to would be a younger Brazilian Ronaldo. He was a physical beast, possibly even more so than Cristiano. He had no luck with injuries. Cristiano has had a lot of luck, thankfully, and long may it continue.

I'm not a fan of his petulant side but he's a magical player to watch. He won't be around forever. I'd love to see him play live at the moment. I saw him 5/6 years ago with United. He was great then, and scored a spectacular goal that day, but he's gone to a different level now.

Exactly, he will not be around forever and rather then constantly trying to find fault with these amazing players we should actually just be enjoying watching them do what they do best.

Seeing them in the flesh (Ronaldo, Messi, Vidic, Kompany etc) is a joy to behold and it is not something that will always be an option.

Messi v ronaldo aside pele thinks neymar is the best so who are we to doubt the great pele !

What Iv seen of neymar is pretty breath taking though, I must say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

What Iv seen of neymar is pretty breath taking though, I must say.

He's not on the same level as Ronaldo and Messi and I don't think he ever will be, as much as I like the kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Neymar still has a bit to do until he can be put in the same respect as ronaldo, even messi but especially pele, whether pele is a football critic to be repected , the jury is still out, but a good footballer he definitely was, maybe one of the best, but Neymar still gots a good bit to do!

Pele talks an awful lot of **** to be perfectly honest.

Neymar is excellent, certainly something special already, but not in the same league as the other two yet, will he get there? my bet would be no, but who knows

I agree I don't think he's anywhere near the 2 boys level , I think if he moved to Europe we'd see what he's really about.

Is he not meant to be going to Madrid this summer ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

I agree I don't think he's anywhere near the 2 boys level , I think if he moved to Europe we'd see what he's really about.

Is he not meant to be going to Madrid this summer ?

Pretty sure he has always maintained that he will stay with Santos until the 2014 World Cup.

BKC wrote: »
    Pretty sure he has always maintained that he will stay with Santos until the 2014 World Cup.

He keeps saying he is not moving till after the WC alright, both Barca and Madrid will be the two at the head of the queue, one week its Madrid the next its Barca, my guess is Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I only caught the end up the analysis on Rte but it was embarrassing what they were saying out Ronaldo .

• Advertisement

Just why?

Just why he said it?? not sure if he did say it but it looked like it. He had a cnutish look on his face too but maybe he just looks like that...you decide:

ibpfulTvRiS6nE.gif

paulieeye wrote: »
    Just why he said it?? not sure if he did say it but it looked like it. He had a cnutish look on his face too but maybe he just looks like that...you decide:

ibpfulTvRiS6nE.gif

So there are people out there who don't actually know what he said?

Wow!

Yeah he said, "para ti" which means for you.

people are actually obsessed to the point where it is possibly a problem

Wow!

yeah looks more like "para ti" alright. Suppose people are obsessed cus its a classic battle of good vs evil. Everybody loves to hate an asshole and this guy plays the role perfectly

lol

Certain players just have that arrogance about them on the field, and imho it goes a long way to making them what they are, Cantona had it, Maradona had it, Zidane, Figo, Ibra etc. Ronaldo has it too.

His desire to be the best and to win spills out on the pitch in his emotions at times, and for me, it is a reason I would not have him as my captain just yet, but it is part of what makes him brilliant.

btw, the just why question I asked was in refernece to why someone was bringing Messi into it when this was nothing to do with him and there is now only one direction this thread will be headed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Wow!

The celebrations are aimed at his son, no?

How is that any way related to what I asked? :confused:

(btw, it does not "say it all about the man")

Says it all about the footballer so.

Exactly, he will not be around forever and rather then constantly trying to find fault with these amazing players we should actually just be enjoying watching them do what they do best.

Seeing them in the flesh (Ronaldo, Messi, Vidic, Kompany etc) is a joy to behold and it is not something that will always be an option.

I can't enjoy watching Ronaldo though because of the way he conducts himself on the pitch and of what he comes across as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I can't enjoy watching Ronaldo though because of the way he conducts himself on the pitch and of what he comes across as.

The holier than thou attitude that magically surfaces when Ronaldo's involved is astonishingly pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

To be fair to Paulie, a lot of people did think he said Messi to all the fans that have been winding him up lately. He has thrown the toys out of the pram a few times already, but I doubt he could ever take it that badly.

• Advertisement

Bad Panda wrote: »
    The holier than thou attitude that magically surfaces when Ronaldo's involved is astonishingly pathetic.

Holier than thou, hey? I can't stand the bloke. Don't worry yourself about it.

lol

Certain players just have that arrogance about them on the field, and imho it goes a long way to making them what they are, Cantona had it, Maradona had it, Zidane, Figo, Ibra etc. Ronaldo has it too.

His desire to be the best and to win spills out on the pitch in his emotions at times, and for me, it is a reason I would not have him as my captain just yet, but it is part of what makes him brilliant.

btw, the just why question I asked was in refernece to why someone was bringing Messi into it when this was nothing to do with him and there is now only one direction this thread will be headed

i asked it in this thread cus it happened in the match so people would of seen it.

I love the rivalry between the 2 lads...its great having two players like that content for the title!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

There is a difference between being arrogant & being a petulant brat tbh. Ronaldo's attitude totally stinks at times, I don't get what the issue with people being able to admit that is? :confused:

Fans of his & clubs he plays for accept that because he is so good & that is totally fair enough, no issue whatsoever. But don't try pretend he behaves in the exact same way as other former greats. That's just not true. And don't constantly moan at people for pointing out how poor his attitude is at times. The way Ronaldo regularly behaves on the pitch, I've never seen from the likes of Cantona, Zidane or Figo. There is a difference between the way Ronaldo behaves & being somewhat arrogant.

The hypocrisy when it comes to Ronaldo is what gets under my skin more so, if Messi has a petulant moment, its not focused on one bit, Ronaldo does, it gets shown on a highlight reel, I dont want to continue with this, all I want to say is the level of hypocrisy irritates me.

You will see fans defending their own players actions all they way, even when it is clear the actions are wrong, yet they get offended by the antics of Ronaldo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Mr Alan wrote: »
    There is a difference between being arrogant & being a petulant brat tbh. Ronaldo's attitude totally stinks at times, I don't get what the issue with people being able to admit that is? :confused:

Fans of his & clubs he plays for accept that because he is so good & that is totally fair enough, no issue whatsoever. But don't try pretend he behaves in the exact same way as other former greats. That's just not true. And don't constantly moan at people for pointing out how poor his attitude is at times. The way Ronaldo regularly behaves on the pitch, I've never seen from the likes of Cantona, Zidane or Figo. There is a difference between the way Ronaldo behaves & being somewhat arrogant.

Yeah, Cantona and Zidane just physically assaulted other people. Not petulant at all. And Figo joined his club's fiercest rivals.

Yeah, Cantona and Zidane just physically assaulted other people. Not petulant at all. And Figo joined his club's fiercest rivals.

Garrincha would have rode a sick hen. Fathered the population of Bolivia.

Cryuff - wore two stripes instead of three the brazen pup!

Maradona snorted enough coke to keep a Santa's Kingdom white.

Pele - Shilled his life away

Zidane - Did not use his head/ used his head

Cantona - Cantonaesque

Messi....eeeeeem... He got a girl pregnant and they're NOT married:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

None of them are perfect.

• Advertisement

And had dandruff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I'm a united fan, I'd have to say that Messi is unreal, but they're two very different player, in every aspect of their game bar the goals they rack up.

I don't see why people can't just appreciate that we have two of the greatest players on the earth pushing each other week in week out , something that's not happened in a very long time.

It is annoying to hear pundits bash Ronnie and turn a blind eye to Messi when he has a bad game (Chelsea in the semi final) springs to mind but, Ronaldo is who he is and acting this way seems to have worked for him thus far as with Messi, I wouldn't want them to change what would be the point, football is full of dull people churning in solid performances week in week out, I for one love a bit of flamboyancy :)

The hypocrisy when it comes to Ronaldo is what gets under my skin more so, if Messi has a petulant moment, its not focused on one bit, Ronaldo does, it gets shown on a highlight reel, I dont want to continue with this, all I want to say is the level of hypocrisy irritates me.

You will see fans defending their own players actions all they way, even when it is clear the actions are wrong, yet they get offended by the antics of Ronaldo?

Look, yourself like other Utd fans will defend him, fair enough. But he's completely unlikeable and everything has to be about him!

He's not liked! As i said before, don't worry about it. You can continue to enjoy him all you like.

Look, yourself like other Utd fans will defend him, fair enough. But he's completely unlikeable and everything has to be about him!

He's not liked! As i said before, don't worry about it. You can continue to enjoy him all you like.

I don't worry, it is just the hypocrisy that bugs me, whether I suport United or not has no bearing on this, I dont want to get into all this stuff becasue it will just drag up stuff from the past that I have no desire to drag up again.

Lots of players are completely unlikeable but dont get as much stick, its the success breeds contempt thing I guess

I don't worry, it is just the hypocrisy that bugs me, whether I suport United or not has no bearing on this, I dont want to get into all this stuff becasue it will just drag up stuff from the past that I have no desire to drag up again.

Lots of players are completely unlikeable but dont get as much stick, its the success breeds contempt thing I guess

The hypocrisy of what?

• Advertisement

The hypocrisy of what?

Read my other posts, I really will struggle against dragging up old off topic stuff :)

Some day when Im in bad form maybe ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Didn't Ronaldo play for United? Oh I see

nuxxx wrote: »
    Didn't Ronaldo play for United? Oh I see

Yeah he did! :confused:

Every player has petulent moments. But the reasons Ronaldo is hated happens in pretty much every game he plays in.

His mother has come out in the Portuguese papers saying she does like him. A lot.

Every player has petulent moments. But the reasons Ronaldo is hated happens in pretty much every game he plays in.

Its your opinion and its fair enouugh, Im not trying to change your opinion bud :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Yet I'm sure you can enjoy Suarez, despite him conducting himself much worse?

Yet I'm sure you can enjoy Suarez, despite him conducting himself much worse?

You having a pop at me or monkey?

If me, then you misread my post maybe?

If monkey, then thats a perfect example of the hypcrisy I was talking about and a great example of some of the stuff I wouldnt want to drag up now :)

Suarez hasn't played in the Euros and hasn't played in the Champions League since he signed for Liverpool so RTE haven't had a chance to give their highlights reel about him. But the lad gets plenty of stick!

And as for the Liverpool/Utd thing, Drogba has played for neither and he still gets plenty of stick as well.

Suarez hasn't played in the Euros and hasn't played in the Champions League since he signed for Liverpool so RTE haven't had a chance to give their highlights reel about him. But the lad gets plenty of stick!

And as for the Liverpool/Utd thing, Drogba has played for neither and he still gets plenty of stick as well.

Not really the issue though is it? Certainly not the type of thing I was referring to. I dont care about Rte hypocrisy as much as fan hypocrisy and faux outrage

And just for the record, I love Drogba, think he is a beast.

• Advertisement
Advertisement