Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Czech Republic vs Portugal

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The point is though that fans of clubs defend awful people that have played for their own clubs. It's obvious and predictable. Ronaldo and suarez aren't good examples of professionals regardless of how many goals they score for your particular club. Their accolades are well known and don't need to be retread but bias shouldn't blind to that.

Drogba gets stick because of his play-acting and his diving and deservedly so. Apparently he is actually a pleasant enough person away from football and does alot more charity work than either, but that doesn't change the fact that he has a huge ego and is embarrassing at time on the pitch. It is what it is and people shouldn't be defending it because of club affiliation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

You surely can't question Ronaldos professionalism ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

So let me get this right, the Czech Rep v Portugal thread has gone from Ronaldo, Messi, Figo, Zidane, Cantona, Suarez, Drogba.

Before this descends into a cluster fcuk of abuse and cards I'll ask ye all to keep it civil.

Thanks.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

monkey9 wrote: »
    Suarez hasn't played in the Euros and hasn't played in the Champions League since he signed for Liverpool so RTE haven't had a chance to give their highlights reel about him. But the lad gets plenty of stick!

And as for the Liverpool/Utd thing, Drogba has played for neither and he still gets plenty of stick as well.

Do you enjoy watching Suarez despite his poor on-field behaviour?

Do you enjoy watching Drogba despite his on-field behaviour?

kryogen wrote: »
    You surely can't question Ronaldos professionalism ffs!

He isn't the model professional...far from it. He cheats on a regular basis by diving and simulating. He kicks out petulantly. He doesn't play for the team. He attempts to get other players sent off. He only tracks back when he feels like it. Fixing your hair while the manager gives a team talk isn't professional either. His ego is huge. Just listen to his post-match quotes. "We didn't play that well but I scored". He actually said that. It's all about him, all the time.

Seriously, take your Man Utd hat off and just see things how they are. Amazing footballer he may be, but his attitude is terrible. It doesn't become not true just because he played for United.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

It's amazing how some people continue to focus on ronaldo's faults, even when he plays brilliantly. He isn't perfect of course, he has a streak of petulance that some people obsess over to the point that they try to take away from his footballing ability. But I can't see how anyone can question his professionalism, the guy has worked incredibly hard over the years to get to the level he is at now, and no doubt is striving to reach even higher levels. It's not like he's some lazy git, he bursts his arse on the training pitch and the results are there for all to see.

I love ronaldo, he's just the complete footballer imo. Tall, strong, lightning quick, lethal in the air or on the ground, scores goals from long range or in the box, penalties and free kicks. He is so exciting to watch, the type of player that has you on the edge of your seat, there are too few of them around. I realise that some people don't like him, but it's a pity they let that colour their view of how good he is, those clowns on Rte being a prime example.

shrewdness wrote: »
    I realise that some people don't like him, but it's a pity they let that colour their view of how good he is, those clowns on Rte being a prime example.

You have that the wrong way around. People who don't like him realise he is amazing and one of the worlds best footballers and probably in the top 10 of all time. We all know what he can do. They give him credit where it's due.

What they don't do is ignore or overlook or forgive him his temper tantrums like has been linked on previous pages. Or when he won't track back because "he's too good" to do the donkey work. I mean he gave the ball away in the last minute yesterday and didn't bother his hole to try win it back. You talk about him "bursting his arse" on the training pitch. Why doesn't he do it during a game? Because when he is on the training pitch working on his dribbling or flicks or his shooting or his free kicks or in the Gym working on his abs.....it's all about him. He doesn't do all that so Man united or Real Madrid or Portugal can win.....he does it to increase the standing and legend of "cr7".

And people who have a giant mancrush on him just ignore all the negative aspects of him because he is the complete footballer? He is so far from complete it's unreal. It's just fanboys defending him. See things how they are. People do it with all of their favourites. I quite like Messi but it annoys me when people ignore his negatives too. It annoys me just as much when people compare them and say , "Oh well Messi is so honest, he never dives." Bollox. He does dive. He does it all the time.

The term fanboy is one that normally sends me out of a debate, but before I go can I just say

You do not get to where Ronaldo has gotten without extreme dedication and professionalism.

It simply does not happen. All of his former teammates and managers, current teammates and manager have spoken of how much work he puts in and how professional he is in his approach to the game, to question his professionalism is absolutely ridiculous.

You are confusing professionalism with attitude on the field, they are not they same. In your view of the game there are very few to no professional players out there.

If you wish to infer that I have said he is the complete footballer Id love to see you show me the post I said that in, absolute bollox.

gl

As you can see Kryogen, I was quoting Shrewdness. He referred to him as complete. So perhaps trying reading other peoples posts, not just your own before you accuse people of bollox.

And I think you are confusing "Talent" with "professionalism". As I have said, he works hard on himself for himself. He doesn't try a toss when the other team have the ball. Frisbeeface pointed something out which illustrates this quite well. Zonal Marking has pointed out a few time in the last 6 months that a high number of goals conceded by Real and Portugal have come down Ronaldo's side as he leaves his full back exposed in 2v1 situations.

And I don't consider a player who tries to get other people sent off professional....or a grown man having a hissy fit when something doesn't go away. You are letting your admiration for his obvious talents blind you from the fact that he is a bit of a brat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

A brat :D Oh dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

kryogen wrote: »
    Not really the issue though is it? Certainly not the type of thing I was referring to. I dont care about Rte hypocrisy as much as fan hypocrisy and faux outrage

And just for the record, I love Drogba, think he is a beast.

This is a word used a lot on Boards recently! What do you mean faux outrage? That i actually do like Ronaldo? I don't. He does my head in and the way he conducts himself and goes about the match just doesn't allow me to enjoy the undoubted brilliance he has.

I can't actually give my actual opinion on Ronaldo because i'd be banned. Suffice it to say, i love watching the likes of Messi, but Ronaldo just ruins the experience. That's just me!

I mean, if a player on your team behaved how Ronaldo did, you would be ok with it, but if Ronaldo does something his behaviour is "disgraceful" and yada yada yada.

How many more ways can I spell this out without being rude? I genuinely dont want to be rude to you, you dont like the guy, great! not going to bother me, but as was put to you already in the thread seeing Suarez carry himself the way he does does not lessen your enjoyment of watching him, yet it does with Ronaldo.

you choose to avoid it then, and for the sake of the thread I suppose its better if you avoid it now :)

To be perfectly clear, when I say Faux Outrage I mean that it does not actually outrage you, it is simply a rod to beat him with.

Advertisement