Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westport , pubs and grub

Options
  • 21-06-2012 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Hey people's, the missus and me are heading to Westport next Monday and Tuesday. Can you recommend and good pubs and restaurants.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Have you read any of the other threads on recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Yawn, I read the one listed below but the answers are from a couple of years ago. A lot of Pubs and Resteurants have closed/changed hands lately you might have noticed

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Yawn, I read the one listed below but the answers are from a couple of years ago. A lot of Pubs and Resteurants have closed/changed hands lately you might have noticed

Benny it was a suggestion that you will find on any of the forum, don't need to be smart with the comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Within the first two pages of this forum there are several threads with RECENT and RELEVANT recommendations.

Although if reading one thread made you yawn then maybe a lively town like Westport is going to be a bit much for you. Have an enjoyable visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Trust us, read the threads.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the great replys, very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Benny, this question comes up at least once a week here, many other users of the forum have gone to the trouble of putting up information in the past, so it shouldn't be that difficult to run a simple search rather than expecting a personal itinerary for every poster.

But to be helpful, here are my top picks. Most are within short walk of the town centre, but some of the evening restaurants small and will be booked out at weekends this time of year so worth calling earlier in the day.

Breakfast:
    - Ring for Coffee, (Good Fry-up, hot sambos, Market Lane)
    - Mocha (Large modern coffee shop, good for kids, sambos/salads/cake, next to Tesco Altmont St)
    - Nicolas Cafe (Sambos/hot bistro style dishes, Bridge St Carpark)

Coffee / Cake:
    - Sol Rio Cafe (fancy sambos/cake, try the custard tarts, Bridge St)
    - Willow Tea Room (Teas / Cake, High St)
    - Moose (Waffles, Ice-cream, Kids, Bridge St)
    - Christies Cafe (Small friendly stop off, try the Truffles, Shop St)
    - Marlenas Chocolate Cafe (if you're into chocolate, Bridge St Carpark)

Lunch:
    - The Tavern (Great menu of Irish/European meat and seafood dishes, in Murrisk)
    - The West Bar (Good modern European/meat dishes, Bridge St)
    - The Whyatt (Hotel restaurant, modern European, on the Octagon)
    - Mocha (Large modern coffee shop, good for kids, sambos/salads/cake, next to Tesco Altmont St)
    - Castlecourt Hotel (Hot carvery meats, Castlebar St)
    - Sol Rio (modern European specials, Bridge St)
    - The Creel (Homecooking style, Cafe / Bistro, great desserts, on The Quay)
    - The Clew Bay (Hotel restaurant, sambas and modern European dishes, James St)

Dinner
    - Port Mór (Modern Irish meat and local seafood, cosy but top quality, Market Lane)
    - Sage (Modern Irish/Italian pasta, local seafood, fresh decor, High St)
    - The Helm Bar (Great Irish meat dishes and atmosphere, on The Quay)
    - Merlot (Fine dining style, modern Irish/European, in Plaza Hotel, Castlebar St)
    - Knockranny House (Fine dining style, award winning taster menu, off Castlebar Rd)
    - Il Volcano (Traditional stye Italian, best pizza for miles, High St)
    - Enotecha (Authentic/rustic Italian food and wine, Market Lane)
    - Bella Vita (Cosy Italian and seafood, High St)
    - Everest (Good Indian/Nepalese classics, South Mall)
    - Fishworks (Good Fish n Chips, Carlton Hotel, on The Quay)
    - Quay Cottage (Good European and fish, in nice old cottage but slightly pricey, on the Quay)
    - Mangos (Good Seafood, but slightly pricey, Bridge St)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Can some of these threads be made in to a sticky, very frequently asked and Westport is a good place for grub. May be helpful for the tourist trade and perhaps not confined to Westport, extended to Ballina & Castlebar?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Very good list Neworder. I must get out more.

Agree this and similar lists should be posted as stickies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

wheres

- Moose (Waffles, Ice-cream, Kids, Bridge St)
    - Christies Cafe (Small friendly stop off, try the Truffles, Shop St)

:o:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sticky now created.

@neworder79, great reply exatly what I was looking for, fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Has the Shebeen out on the road towards Murrisk lost favour or is it still running ? I haven't been to eat in Westport for about 2 years but it was cosy and I remember it being quite nice to eat in (and nice pints).

-ifc

Advertisement