Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ty vs 5th year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

paddyzk wrote: »
    EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I also hate the majority of my year bar 2 or 3 people. They are doing ty so I happy however. Why do people pick on the swots :(

You'll have the last laugh :D
    Exactly. It will be really sweet to meet that "I'm going to be a professional soccer/rugby player" when they serve you in Centra. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Exactly. It will be really sweet to meet that "I'm going to be a professional soccer/rugby player" when they serve you in Centra. :)

Even seemingly not very nice people are entitled to their dreams, just as you are to yours >.> :p

Didn't do TY myself, no regrets. That said, if there was a decent program in my school I would've at least considered it, but there wasn't so the thought of doing it never crossed my mind. I'm not the biggest fan of school tbh, it was grand for a while but at some stage in the last year or so I got really tired of every day being almost the same (although it wouldn't be quite like that in TY I guess). I'm really craving the change that college will bring and the long-awaited freedom, and thanks to not doing TY I just have this LC to get over with, rather than two years. So I'm happy in that respect, and if anyone is similar-minded then y'know, skipping would probably be a good choice. If the program is decent/you're willing to get the best out of the year regardless/you're really young then full steam ahead with TY I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Slow Show wrote: »

Even seemingly not very nice people are entitled to their dreams, just as you are to yours >.> :p

Didn't do TY myself, no regrets. That said, if there was a decent program in my school I would've at least considered it, but there wasn't so the thought of doing it never crossed my mind. I'm not the biggest fan of school tbh, it was grand for a while but at some stage in the last year or so I got really tired of every day being almost the same (although it wouldn't be quite like that in TY I guess). I'm really craving the change that college will bring and the long-awaited freedom, and thanks to not doing TY I just have this LC to get over with, rather than two years. So I'm happy in that respect, and if anyone is similar-minded then y'know, skipping would probably be a good choice. If the program is decent/you're willing to get the best out of the year regardless/you're really young then full steam ahead with TY I say.
    I will be 16 doing some Of the LC. Even thought I will be young I have always preferred the academic side of school. I think One good thing about ty is you can take on a science project.i am a huge science fan but I won't be allowed take on another project. I loved the btys, sci fest, representing ireland at isef in Pittsburgh and at I sweep in Texas. But I just won't have the time next year. I think that is one advantage of ty. I feel that a lot of people thqat do ty need the year because they are immature. You d be surprised by the amount of people who left 30 mins after every exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭paddzdaman

Why is everyone on this forum anti-sport practically? I play a serious amount of sport, yet I'm expecting at least 6 or more A's in the junior cert. People just need to relax :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

paddzdaman wrote: »
    Why is everyone on this forum anti-sport practically? I play a serious amount of sport, yet I'm expecting at least 6 or more A's in the junior cert. People just need to relax :D

We're not anti-sport, I enjoy sport but I don't like teachers favouring students because that student plays sports, it's not fair.

• Advertisement

paddzdaman wrote: »

Not anti-sport. I play two.

Just don't like academia and sport intertwining hand in hand, certain students getting off homework because a teacher is a rugby coach and there's a match soon etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

^^ agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Oh you guys are still here?

Okay well here's my €0.02,

My school's TY program is optional & supposed to be pretty good,
    but I'm a more academic sort of person, so I think it would be good for me to spend some time on the other side of school, (sports & extra-curricular)

I would have loved to do more, but I felt like I just didn't have time during the JC.

I do agree however that it's mostly a dos, so that's why I'm going to be using it to focus on some *side projects* of mine..

But if I do get bored, I'll probably end up covering LC material myself lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

I did TY this year and it was probably the best decision I made. Its made me much more independent and you do some really worthwhile things during it like Enterprise and Work experience.

Our school ran a great a Ty program though for the more business oriented like myself I got to do enterprise,for those who wanted to act and sing there was the musical,for the sporty people there was coaching and for the people who were into computers there was programming.

If your school has a decent and well run Ty program go for it because you will feel much better going into 5th year after a break from exam pressures.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Yer_Wan

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    School motto is committed to quality education. More like committed to quality hurling.

How is Denis Ring keeping in my absence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

lee3155 wrote: »
    100 :eek: There's only like 26 in my school doing it, that's all we could fit in the year :D

Honestly, I think it's down to the school and the group of TY's.

This years TY's got to go to France, had a ball! Got to help the community, take reqular trips and relax, they were a very very good year and they said they enjoyed it.

Last years TY'S were a bunch of ****holes and they did **** all! Went on maybe one trip and did nothing all year, it was a complete doss of a year and their opinions of it were horrible.

I'm doing it this year mainly because my friends are and it's a bit of a break. Also the rest of my group are the rather mature type and not a pack of idiots. I know it's an extra year, but hey, it'll only happen once in your life!

Yep theres 100 of us :D And 169 in my whole year the rest are doing LCA/5th yr. My years TY are going to carlingford, alton towers (imnot going to alton towers its too much money and im scared of heights :L ) and then we go on trips all through the year like ploughing championshiops, extreme sports etc We do 6 weeks at the local gym and we do swimming too and spinning classes etc :L We have projects all through the year! We have 2 weeks work experience and we have journals where you write about what youve done and learned every day for the year :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Yep theres 100 of us :D And 169 in my whole year the rest are doing LCA/5th yr. My years TY are going to carlingford, alton towers (imnot going to alton towers its too much money and im scared of heights :L ) and then we go on trips all through the year like ploughing championshiops, extreme sports etc We do 6 weeks at the local gym and we do swimming too and spinning classes etc :L We have projects all through the year! We have 2 weeks work experience and we have journals where you write about what youve done and learned every day for the year :P

Jesus!! Haha, Hopefully some schools will attend events my school will and I'll get to meet a few Boardsies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭xfabgalx

My school just goes up to 5th year and in 4th year we do 2 weeks of work xp. There's only like 180-200 in our school.
    I wouldn't have done it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Undecided95

I just finished 5th year this year, I did not do TY. I applied for TY but there wasn't enough space. At the time, I thought I wouldnt be able to cope with going straight from JC to LC. However, it turned out to be the best possible thing that could of happened. I met aload of new friends, have excellent teachers and everyone that did TY turned out hating it. I'll be starting 6th year in September and I can't wait to begin my last year in school.

Fifth year is alot of work but if you put your head down from the beginning, it really stands to you. I strangely enough, quite enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Sucette!

I did TY last year and to be honest im not sure if it was worth it or not. It got very mixed reactions in my school, it was a year where i got like 15 new close friends which no, I cant deney on that part it was a waste of time. However, academically we did nothing and most of the things we learnt in JC I have forgotten and will have to re-learn them again in Septemeber which wont be too easy. Activities wise it depends on the school, in mine we hardly did any and most of the time spent every class watching some sort of dvd or just going on the internet, the teachers just didnt care towards the end of the year!

So yes if its known that your school has a good ty programme i would advise doing it, you mature and make lots of new friends considering classes are all different from JUnior Cert, but if you no what you want to do, and have a good study rhythm i'd say go onto 5th year as TY does mess up everything!

Sucette! wrote: »
    I did TY last year and to be honest im not sure if it was worth it or not. It got very mixed reactions in my school, it was a year where i got like 15 new close friends which no, I cant deney on that part it was a waste of time. However, academically we did nothing and most of the things we learnt in JC I have forgotten and will have to re-learn them again in Septemeber which wont be too easy. Activities wise it depends on the school, in mine we hardly did any and most of the time spent every class watching some sort of dvd or just going on the internet, the teachers just didnt care towards the end of the year!

So yes if its known that your school has a good ty programme i would advise doing it, you mature and make lots of new friends considering classes are all different from JUnior Cert, but if you no what you want to do, and have a good study rhythm i'd say go onto 5th year as TY does mess up everything!

Pretty much sums up TY. Some of my friends loved it, others hated it. Depends on the people in your year and if you sign up for activities. If you don't it could get boring. I'm going into TY and have applied for an Immersion Project to Zambia. If your school offers exchanges, apply for them. Anyway, I think the only person who decides what you're ready for is yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Sucette!

Troxck wrote: »
    Pretty much sums up TY. Some of my friends loved it, others hated it. Depends on the people in your year and if you sign up for activities. If you don't it could get boring. I'm going into TY and have applied for an Immersion Project to Zambia. If your school offers exchanges, apply for them. Anyway, I think the only person who decides what you're ready for is yourself.

Couldnt have said it better myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

I'm doing TY and I am furious. I hate most of the year doing it.
    My school is not strict at all regarding the people that get into TY and the amount of lazy gobshites doing it is unbelievable. I'd say me and a couple of other people will be left with all the work to do while they sit back and take the mickey out of us.
    Any friends that I had are all gone off to "the cool kids" and all they do is drink and smoke now and they're gone into TY aswell.
    I've a feeling this is going to be a horrible year, I thought 4th year would change everything but now I'm not so sure :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

AulBiddy wrote: »
    My school is not strict at all regarding the people that get into TY and the amount of lazy gobshites doing it is unbelievable. I'd say me and a couple of other people will be left with all the work to do while they sit back and take the mickey out of us.
    Any friends that I had are all gone off to "the cool kids" and all they do is drink and smoke now and they're gone into TY aswell.
    I've a feeling this is going to be a horrible year, I thought 4th year would change everything but now I'm not so sure :(

Listen theres no point going into a year feeling like that, if you've convinced yourself before the year has even started that its going to be **** well then there's no hope is there? :pac: At least give it a chance and your coming across awful bitter tbh, cheer up :P

AulBiddy wrote: »

I kind of regret picking TY now but we'll have to make the best of it. If there any trips abroad, you'd be picked over those who laze back and don't give a toss.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

TY, like life, is what YOU make of it.
    There will be lazy dossers in your LC class, in college, where you work.
    Live your life by your standards, not theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

anirishlad wrote: »
    Listen theres no point going into a year feeling like that, if you've convinced yourself before the year has even started that its going to be **** well then there's no hope is there? :pac: At least give it a chance and your coming across awful bitter tbh, cheer up :P

I've turned into a depressive hermit over summer, can't help it :rolleyes: i'm happy out otherwise :p

I'm doing TY pretty much because I was running out of steam towards the end of third year. I was full of energy for work in first year, but I feel like I've slowly been burning out.

A year out to do stuff I want to would probably enable me to build up energy, or desire to work, for the LC.

Also, it's been ~2 months since the JC and I'm still a bit of a mental wreck, and one mention of the LC on day one of 5th year would probably have me running out the door screaming.

If you're academic like me, there's a chance your confidence isn't too great. Had a w.e. interview the other day and forced myself to make eye contact. :( I still can't talk while looking someone in the eyes, it creeps me out, so I'm hoping TY helps me improve that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

If you're academic like me, there's a chance your confidence isn't too great. Had a w.e. interview the other day and forced myself to make eye contact. :( I still can't talk while looking someone in the eyes, it creeps me out, so I'm hoping TY helps me improve that.

Trust me, it does help :D I was the same as you at the beginning of ty, but now I've done a lot of interviews and work experience and it definately helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Anybody here have any mini business ideas for TY? hehe I have nothing.. Selling games..no... Selling iphone accessories... maybe?

Was thinking custom t-shirt printing, cost around €500 to start. A little tight for my budget heh..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Anybody here have any mini business ideas for TY? hehe I have nothing.. Selling games..no... Selling iphone accessories... maybe?

Was thinking custom t-shirt printing, cost around €500 to start. A little tight for my budget heh..

Anything food related is more or less a banker to make money.
    Especially soup - it's cheap to make and you can make big profits selling it cheaply. Don't have it too hot though.

Two years ago, some TYs in my school made smoothies, they made a deal with a local shop who would make them and get some of the profit. They made quite a bit of money out of it.

Two years ago, some TYs in my school made smoothies, they made a deal with a local shop who would make them and get some of the profit. They made quite a bit of money out of it.

Heh. Person I know ran a sweet shop at competitive prices to the vending machines/cafeteria. The cafeteria got him shut down quickly. :( The cupboards in his kitchen were filled with wholesale bulk containers of sweets. /yum :p

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

Because of the opportunities you might get doing it. I have a chance of going to Germany and Zambia as well as the possibility of work experience in Dell! Tbh, I hate all my year bar a few and have more friends going into 5th but I wouldn't be able to handle 5th.
    I would love to get the chance to go to Zambia next year but our school has no such plans :( Is your school church ran or something?

• Advertisement

SdoowSirhc wrote: »
    I would love to get the chance to go to Zambia next year but our school has no such plans :( Is your school church ran or something?

Well, it's a catholic school anyway. There is a small chance of me going but I wouldn't have a chance again so I applied. We go out for two weeks and help Christian Brothers, it looks amazing but there is so much work involved.

Advertisement