Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Value of a horsebox?

Options
  • 21-06-2012 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi I'm wondering what a ifor williams 510 horsebox would be worth if the floor of it is not intact (ie a horse put its foot through the floor a few weeks ago) and also the fron unloading door is stuck shut. But everything else (lights/partitions etc)

I just dont know how much it costs to replace the floor of the horsebox so i dont know what the value of the horsebox is!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

be REALLY REALLY careful!!! Im unsure as to what the value would be, would imagine getting a new floor in and fitted properly etc would be the best part of €1000 so obviously devaluing the box by in or around that.. But from past experience, if you're going to buy a box like that be aware that if the floor was worn/ old enough for a horse to put its foot through the side panels may also be in need of repair/replacing. Get it checked by Ifor Williams themselves or another reputable dealer before you buy it, have had experience where box seemed perfect and then only to find it needed complete replacement of front ramp and side panels were completely rotten, quote of around 1500 to fix, over half the price of the box! Honestly no way it would have been spotted other than by a professional!

**sorry just reread your post and editing this now, not sure if you're buying/selling the box? either way the above probably applies anyway, save yourself the trouble of angry buyers coming back to you and make sure the rest of the box is good to go as well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

500 is really all it is worth

westwood trailers charge 900 euro + VAT for a new floor

and what silverfox said is spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

I avoided buying an Ifor Williams to restore because of the wooden sides and floors, and the problems of replacing. Even then the cost of replacing parts on any trailer is alway greater than you'd like :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ordinary star

Thanks for the advice!

My situation is that it is a box i have borrowed several times before so i know the box, (the hole in the floor even happened while i was driving it!)

The owner of the box doesnt use it and has no real intentions of replacing the floor so I was going to offer to buy the box from him and myself and dad would fix it ourselves. -Hence not knowing what to offer him!

I may offer less than 1,000 i think.. just as the front unloading door isnt working either!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

have a trawl through the ads on done deal, so you can compare prices and have an educated postion to make an offer from. I bought my old box for less than 700 euros and bar the floor I could have pressed it into service straight away (but where would be the fun in that!).:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

agree with mothoin, been having a look on donedeal and boxes needing new floors are going v cheap, i think people must be aware that while a floor is essential people may not check side panels etc - would avoid wood panels anywhere as by the time you've replaced all that you might actually have bought a box in decent shape!!

Advertisement