Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo's 5 time Irish Heavyweight champion Stephen Reynolds turns pro at 39

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Best of luck to him, he's a nice fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭coolegrain

yes...very best to him...there'll be a lot of people behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

coolegrain wrote: »
    yes...very best to him...there'll be a lot of people behind him.

I'd hate to be the one in front of him. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

Can success still be achieved?

No, it's way too late to be turning Pro at 39.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I think his last irish title at amateur level was more than ten years ago. That suggests his best days are behind him, but I wish him every success.

He has already proven himself to be one of all the time great sporting competitors this country has produced, and easily the best Sligo has ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

I think his last irish title at amateur level was more than ten years ago. That suggests his best days are behind him, but I wish him every success.

He has already proven himself to be one of all the time great sporting competitors this country has produced, and easily the best Sligo has ever seen.

Well him or his brother are certainly in with a shout as Sligo's best ever but lets not forget Maugheraboy's Vinny Feeney either.

If you remember him you will probably enjoy this! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Well him or his brother are certainly in with a shout as Sligo's best ever but lets not forget Maugheraboy's Vinny Feeney either.

If you remember him you will probably enjoy this! :D

I remember seeing him in town a couple of years ago, was a great prospect but his career was cut short too early unfortunately.

I remember seeing him in town a couple of years ago, was a great prospect but his career was cut short too early unfortunately.

yeah, Vinny was a classy boxer. Won a British southern area title and was due to fight for a IBO world title but an irregularity showed up on the yearly brain scan that boxers have to do and that was that.

Really nice fella as well.

Stephen Reynolds was interviewed on national radio on the Mooney Live Show on RTE Radio 1 today about his work as a parking warden and his pro debut Belfast on July 21st with Emerald Promotions.

You can listen back to the show on the link below. Skip 38mins in for the 6 minute long interview.

Did anyone listen to the show? Seems to be a lot of radio shows in Sligo at the moment.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A3330783%3A82%3A28%2D06%2D2012%3A

303493_383089648419058_919869154_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Stephen Reynolds talks to Steve Bunce on BoxNation TV about his professional boxing debut in Belfast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

I agree, Reynolds is a nice guy, but one wonders if this fight in Belfast is all about glory or money, win or lose he will come home with a nice few bob. Vinnie Feeney was not too bad back in the day, wasn’t the best either, I think he was wise to hang up his gloves medical condition or no medical condition, again like Reynolds he’s a nice guy too. :)

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    I agree, Reynolds is a nice guy, but one wonders if this fight in Belfast is all about glory or money, win or lose he will come home with a nice few bob. Vinnie Feeney was not too bad back in the day, wasn’t the best either, I think he was wise to hang up his gloves medical condition or no medical condition, again like Reynolds he’s a nice guy too. :)

I costs a lot of money to set yourself up as a professional boxer, a lot of money. I can assure you that until you get to title fights its a loss making exercise, especially in Ireland where there is no backing from TV.

I hope its for the glory because if its for the money then he's in for a rude awakening.

Back in the day Stephen Reynolds was the best, I think at 39yrs old he is taking on a lot, at least when he semi-retired some years back he retired while on top.

Stephen Reynolds and Moses Matovu weigh-in for their fight in Belfast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtbMs5My00U&feature=channel&list=UL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

He won 39-38 I hear

Stephen Reynolds debut fight with Moses Matovu in Belfast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dziM4_OgqSI

557192_10150923848700807_727597422_n.jpg

553564_396270480434308_307331611_n.jpg

• Advertisement

309312_396270503767639_1809363087_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Well done Block, looked like he was bossing things in the above clip.

Matovu was backing away into his own corner before the bell even sounded to begin the round. Didn't look very eager at all!:)

Stephen Reynolds second fight confirmed on Dublin bill on November the 3rd!

BLOCK’N'ROLL : REYNOLDS RETURN ON ‘RUMBLE IN DUBLIN’ BILL

Details of the bill are here - http://www.boxing-ireland.com/news/blocknroll-reynolds-return-on-rumble-in-dublin-bill/

150530_4469620414280_1453031946_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

Do you know who stephens opponent is for his fight? I cant find a name.

Ghost. wrote: »
    Do you know who stephens opponent is for his fight? I cant find a name.

His name is Ruslan Bitarov.

Here is a picture of the pair at the weigh in and a bit of video as well.

46530_4554822184271_1171094394_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭coolegrain

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

well done stephen hes keeeping the sligo sporting winning bandwagon going

Jasus, Reynolds is a scary looking whore just looking at him, pity the other guy!!

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    Jasus, Reynolds is a scary looking whore just looking at him, pity the other guy!!

He's mean looking alright. Those body shots in that second fight had my wincing from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

He's mean looking alright. Those body shots in that second fight had my wincing from here.

I would have said more like mincing:D

Advertisement