Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a recommendation for gastroenterologist please

• 21-06-2012 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Prob need an endoscope done so can anyone give me a recommendation as well as an idea of price for first consultation and scope/bloods etc. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭manna452121

You could give these a ring http://www.barringtonshospital.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Ask your GP to recommend one.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

I'd like a recommendation from someone that's actually had a tube shoved down their throat by one of them...it makes me a bit nervous thinking of it and would like someone v experienced, thanks though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My missus has visited Dr Maeve Skelly in the regional numerous times for a camera down and up, amongst other things, and is a frequent visitor to her clinic. The first result on Google for her name is a little off putting but when demand for Gastro Consultants is so damn high don't let one case out of 1000's upon 1000's put you off.

Go to Barringstons and pay considerably more or go to the Galway Clinic and pay for plush hospitals and what not but we haven't been to any of those clinics(don't have the money) so Skelly is the only suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Dr Paul O'Byrne in Barrington's Hospital.

Used him a few years ago and according to my GP at the time was the best in the city. Had no issues with the proceedure and there was nothing to worry about as you will most likely go in early in the morning. You will be put under general anesthetic, finished by afternoon and given a cup of tea & slice of toast, he will then come around and discuse they results with you. No soreness or discomfort afterwards except you will be a bit groggy from the anesthetic.

One thing to note though is that he is a private constultant/surgen so ring your health insurance company to make sure that he is on their list of covered surgens otherwise you will be paying the bill. Also afaik you need a referral from your GP who should contact his secretary to arrange a date for the surgery.

• Advertisement

Thank you beer baron and bazz,that's what i was looking for. Don't have health insurance unfortnately so will be paying for everything myself. Will look them both up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

angelll wrote: »
    I'd like a recommendation from someone that's actually had a tube shoved down their throat by one of them...it makes me a bit nervous thinking of it and would like someone v experienced, thanks though.

I can't remember the consultat's name, but I went to the regional as a medical card holder (i.e. i was in the public system) and had an upper endoscopy done a couple of years back. Couldn't fault the prefessionalism of all involved.

It's only slightly uncomfortable. They'll drug you up nicely. There's really no need to be concerned.

I'd imagine that anyone who gets to consultant level is very experienced and knows what they are doing, so I wouldn't worry about getting the best one. They're all very good, I suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭his_dudeness

There's quite a number of docs in the region doing endoscopy. Upper GI and Lower GI endoscopy are done by both general and colorectal surgeons and gastroenterologists.

At last check:
    Limerick Regional - public and private
    Mr David Waldron; Mr Eoghan Condon; Professor Calvin Coffey; Mr Eamonn Kavanagh; Mr Paul Burke; Mr Syed Naqvi; Mr Mahmoud
    Dr Manus Maloney; Dr Carol Goulding; Dr Maeve Skelly;

St Johns Hospital - Public and Private
    Mr David Waldron; Professor Calvin Coffey; Mr Eamonn Kavanagh; Mr Paul Burke; Dr Heather Holloway

Ennis General Hospital - Public and Private
    Mr Eoghan Condon; Mr Eamonn Kavanagh - think there may be a few others too that I cant remember

Nenagh General Hospital - Public and Private
    Mr Mahmoud; Dr Manus Maloney; Mr Chaudry - there's also some scopes being done by NTPF there

Barringtons - Private
    Mr Paul O' Byrne; Mr David Waldron; Mr Eoghan Condon; Mr Raphael Keane (i think); Dr Jane English; Dr Heather Holloway.

That's probably not a complete list but definitely a substantial amount of them.

In the public hospitals, it isn't routine to give a general anaesthetic. A combination of a sedative and painrelief is given, which convinently has also an amnesiac effect, so you don't really remember the procedure. It is also possible to have an upper GI study done without any sedation, it usually only takes 8-10 minutes, and means you can drive yourself home. ( you will need someone to pick you up if you're given any sedation or anaesthetic)

This is a diagnostic procedure so to a certain extent, it doesn't matter who does it, as if there is anything on it that needs further management, you'll be referred onward to whoever that can manage it best in the longrun

And a finally, if you do go to one of the public hospitals as a public patient, it is likely that you will have the procedure done by one of the consultants trainees. These guys actually usually end up doing more scopes per week than the consultant and in a lot of cases, can be better skilled than the consultant themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

bazz26 wrote: »
    Dr Paul O'Byrne in Barrington's Hospital.

Used him a few years ago and according to my GP at the time was the best in the city.

Highly second Paul O' Byrne. I was with him a couple of years ago and he was fantastic. As well as being a good doctor, he's an absolute and utter gentleman. You just couldn't meet nicer.

Just to update this,had the endoscope today in the regional after a public referral from my gp,not a bad waiting time at all! Dr Goulding did it,it was great,had sedative and woke up and it was done :D Throat feels v sore now but that's to be expected and there was nothing major found either tg. I had priced doing it privately without insurance and it was just way too much unfortunately :( Thanks for replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GenuineFan

I would highly recommend Dr. Heather Holloway. She picked up on something very early with my sister in law and my sister in law was able to get sorted out before it was too late. My husband then had an endoscopy and colonoscopy done by Dr. Heather Holloway and thank god everything was ok, but she was extremely efficient and down to earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

angelll wrote: »
    Just to update this,had the endoscope today in the regional after a public referral from my gp,not a bad waiting time at all! Dr Goulding did it,it was great,had sedative and woke up and it was done :D Throat feels v sore now but that's to be expected and there was nothing major found either tg. I had priced doing it privately without insurance and it was just way too much unfortunately :( Thanks for replies.

Good stuff!!

Advertisement