Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If we had the technology, would you change our weather?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

nope, because we have a great climate here, not too hot, not too cold and contrary to everyones belief it doesn't rain every day either. I'm not a sun lover though.

Actually, according to Met Eireann, it rains between 150 (east coast)- 225 (west) days a year in Ireland.

Not too hot? It's not hot at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I'd make it rain constantly and kill most of you in a flood while I sail off on my ark laughing like a manic.
    You're a bad Panda. Your bamboo would rot, that'd soften your cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Yes, probably!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Pottler wrote: »
    You basterd, I can live with your cool wetness, but your unsettled is just unsettling. Knock it off.

Watch it! Just for that, I'm sending snow your way next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TheUshMan

I would make it hotter than the middle eastern climate
    It wont be the emerald isle no more, it would be the desert isle!!! :eek:
    evaporrattttiooonnnn :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Watch it! Just for that, I'm sending snow your way next week.
    woohoo, I love snow, fooled ya. I've even got a snow plough, a real live one, one that cost a bomb, yannow, to plough all that snow we were supposed to get LAST FECKIN WINTER, JUST LIKE THE SNOWY ONE BEFORE, ..when I had no plough. I'm feckin sick of your unsettledness.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

No more than a lack of control over the passage of time, the weather is another one of those things that comes in equal measure to all classes of society. Once control is obtained, that would be lost & chaos would no doubt ensue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

If I had the technology? Probably. Not out of any real desire to change the weather per se, but if you have technology that will do something out of the ordinary, what are you going to do? Look at it?

I have a tan anyway, well a builders tan - face and neck, arms as far as my t-shirt. What more could you ask for?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Oh, no. If I could muck around with the weather, the Law of Unintended Consequences would come in to full effect. We already have Chaos Theory, the idea that a butterfly flapping its wings here could potentally lead to a typhoon in the Pacific. Replace the butterfly with me and my fat fingers. Or imagine trying to keep a bunch of rabid puppies safely inside a flimsy box - and the box is the size of Wales.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement

No more than a lack of control over the passage of time, the weather is another one of those things that comes in equal measure to all classes of society. Once control is obtained, that would be lost & chaos would no doubt ensue.
    Velly true, glasshopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Yes, but if we had the controls, we would fcuk up our entire ecosystem.

We need to outsource the controls to a german company who would ensure the farmers get enough rain to keep the crops in check, ensure sun shines on all major events and enough overcast to keep everything in check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

CIA intelligence suggests that Ireland is overcast about half the time.
    Climate:

temperate maritime; modified by North Atlantic Current; mild winters, cool summers; consistently humid; overcast about half the time

I'd like to change the monotonous grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

What would you talk to strangers about? "It's a very planned summer we've been having, isn't it?" :confused:

Feathers wrote: »
    What would you talk to strangers about? "It's a very planned summer we've been having, isn't it?" :confused:
    This being Ireland, we could whinge to each other about how badly we feel they are running the weather, whilst doing nothing whatsoever to pursuade them to change. Passive non-resistance. Ghandi had feckin nothing on us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

They have the technology to change the weather in this country. :D

http://i46.tinypic.com/ajow12.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bb1234567

There is ways of controlling the weather already, it was used during the 2008 beijing olympics, they managed to prevent it from raining during the opening ceremony when it was forecast to rain.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_modification

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Yes I would in fact I have often thought of this, it would only be a small change....6 weeks of sunny warm weather in the summer ( not hot weather ) and it would be mostly dry...we would still have the same rain fall, its just we would have a dry season, my husband alway says what about the law of unintentional consequences, but I am sure the weather changing machine would be able to fix that pulse I would be the only one with the power to change the weather that should cover everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭whendovescry

changing Irish weather by caprice would have a major impact on our biodiversity, so no I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'd split the country into 4 different weather zones.

Tropical, snowy tundra, bland overcast, monsoon. No more feckin moaning about the weather.

• Advertisement
Advertisement