Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity shop carry on

Options
  • 21-06-2012 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭

Went into a local charity shop today enquiring about the price of the Guitar books in the window. A rather snooty sales assistant informed me that they are not on sale till Saturday morning!! Did you ever here such nonsense in your life? Always wondering what goes on behind the scenes in these places anyway , especially when the designer clothes are dropped in ?? Maybe cynical in my old age lol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Happens the whole time with cameras. They don't go on sale to give everyone a fair chance..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

decies wrote: »
    Went into a local charity shop today enquiring about the price of the Guitar books in the window. A rather snooty sales assistant informed me that they are not on sale till Saturday morning!! Did you ever here such nonsense in your life? Always wondering what goes on behind the scenes in these places anyway , especially when the designer clothes are dropped in ?? Maybe cynical in my old age lol.

Ive worked in a charity shop,mind you i was no snooty sales assitant,sometimes the shops will have set dates for sales,etc,but i can tell you if you want to know what goes on in charity shops,ive seen people nick things for themselves hold things back that come in for themselves and it wouldnt be out on the shop floor first for the customer to have first choice..

there all fas job bridge ce free labour schemes so basically its a bit of a pisstake,its a three day week,they staff go on three day cycles from monday to wednesday and wednesday to friday..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

well its disgustin init

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

It's only human nature. If I was working in there and something I liked came in, I'd probably do the same. However I would expect whoever is in charge to stop me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Haha funny enough I went into the same shop enquiring about the trivial pursuit cd games. In the window the last week and a half. Not on sale til Saturday. Load of ****z

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

some load of sites on Ebay selling retro GAA and soccer jerseys... Shops are usually based in Portugal and Eastern Europe.. Jerseys are usually salvaged from them bags you leave outside your front door that are supposed to go to tafrica

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Apparently its common for charity shops to put the good stuff in the window display to entice people in (makes sense), but not to actually sell the stuff in the window display until a certain day.

In many ways it makes perfect sense and it saves them having to re-do the window display each day

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Cabaal wrote: »
    Apparently its common for charity shops to put the good stuff in the window display to entice people in (makes sense), but not to actually sell the stuff in the window display until a certain day.

In many ways it makes perfect sense and it saves them having to re-do the window display each day

it makes sense TBF but i can see why it would annoy a customer walking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Well if i went in looking for something that was in the window and they told me it wasn't for sale until a few days later i wouldn't ever go back there. So that's one customer gone. Surely they can't be turning people away like that who want to spend their hard earned few bob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

cococoady wrote: »
    Well if i went in looking for something that was in the window and they told me it wasn't for sale until a few days later i wouldn't ever go back there. So that's one customer gone. Surely they can't be turning people away like that who want to spend their hard earned few bob.

Exactly. It doesn't make one bit of sense. I won't set foot in the place again either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

I wouldn't go back either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

Cabaal wrote: »

I think they lose more potential customers than they entice in who will actually buy something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭decies

Yep somebody told me they reckon it's because they don't want to upset the window display . How taking out a guitar book would cause Armageddon to the window display is beyond me lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Exactly. It doesn't make one bit of sense. I won't set foot in the place again either.

Agreed. On a somewhat unrelated note I have a policy when shopping (for food or clothes or whatever) - if something doesn't have a price tag or price on the shelf I won't buy it. I won't ask for a price, I just won't buy it.

If the shop pulls **** like this then they don't want your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

If the aim is to make money for charity, you wouldn't think the day they sell it makes a difference, that's ridiculous! Wouldn't go back there either!

Advertisement