Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT010 Electrical Services Engineering

Options
  • 21-06-2012 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭

Hi. I was sent an email from DIT stating that they will be offering me a place in DT010 for the Fall 2012/2013 school year. Is there anyone on here presently taking this course? I was wondering what the course was like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭00MARTZ00

I just finished it mate what exactly do you want to know?
    I'll actually be jumping off this now but post up any particular questions you've got and ill do my best to answer them tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

00MARTZ00 wrote: »
    I just finished it mate what exactly do you want to know?
    I'll actually be jumping off this now but post up any particular questions you've got and ill do my best to answer them tomorrow!

Hi 00MARTZ00. I'm looking for a general idea of what the course was like. Was it really difficult, What's the schedule like? What were the classes like and how will we be graded?

The course was not that hard to be honest. I think the hardest part of it is the amount of work that is thrown at you. some subjects are more difficult than others but if you put the work in you'll get through it no bother.
    As far as grading goes it depends on the subject. some are graded 50/50: as in 50% exam and 50% assignments, however most subjects are 70/30
    The course is changing though we were the test subjects this year on a few matters which effected us alot but they should have it all ironed out by the time you start pal.
    Any more questions mate ask away!
    Oh by the way are you CAO or going for advanced entry?

The course was not that hard to be honest. I think the hardest part of it is the amount of work that is thrown at you. some subjects are more difficult than others but if you put the work in you'll get through it no bother.
    As far as grading goes it depends on the subject. some are graded 50/50: as in 50% exam and 50% assignments, however most subjects are 70/30
    The course is changing though we were the test subjects this year on a few matters which effected us alot but they should have it all ironed out by the time you start pal.
    Any more questions mate ask away!
    Oh by the way are you CAO or going for advanced entry?

Thanks again 00MARTZ00. I like to get a general feel for a course. I applied through CAO as a Mature student. I got an email on Wed stating that DIT is accepting me and I will be receiving an official Offer via CAO in early July.

Because you're entering as CAO im assuming that you are not a qualified electrician and you will be entering first year of the course. in second year your class will expand as alot of electricians will enter the course in second year through advanced entry (i went this route myself). My advice would be to get to know the electrician lads and get talking to them dont be afraid to ask any advice off them. the site experience electricians have helps an awfull lot when it comes to some subjects and particularly the project. alot of these things wouldnt be considered by most CAO students which is nothing bad on their part but more down to experience.
    Well hope that helps anyway best of luck mate.

• Advertisement

Because you're entering as CAO im assuming that you are not a qualified electrician and you will be entering first year of the course. in second year your class will expand as alot of electricians will enter the course in second year through advanced entry (i went this route myself). My advice would be to get to know the electrician lads and get talking to them dont be afraid to ask any advice off them. the site experience electricians have helps an awfull lot when it comes to some subjects and particularly the project. alot of these things wouldnt be considered by most CAO students which is nothing bad on their part but more down to experience.
    Well hope that helps anyway best of luck mate.

Thanks again 00MARTZ00. I'm not a qualified Electrician. Will this hinder me in the program? Or will I be learning everything from scratch?

It won't hinder you and you will be learning everything from scratch but I would advise when you go into year 2 to ask the electricians a few questions. From their experience they will know a few things that someone might otherwise overlook. Then again because you're starting from year 1 you will have the upper hand on all the software and assignment formats etc. And don't be afraid to ask them either if your class is anything like mine was then most of them will be willing to help!

Advertisement