Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Placing in a course

• 21-06-2012 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Ok so I know if I get the points for a course I am not guaranteed a spot. But my question is if I get a hypothetical 600 points, and the course is 400 points, do I have a better chance than someone who got 500 points?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

You always have a better chance than everyone with less points than you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Ok so I know if I get the points for a course I am not guaranteed a spot. But my question is if I get a hypothetical 600 points, and the course is 400 points, do I have a better chance than someone who got 500 points?

Yes, because if everyone applying to the course had in the high 500's, the points will rise, and the person with 500 may not be offered it at all. The CAO offers the courses starting with the person with the highest points, and continues on down until it has filled its places.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Darth Frodo

No, ignore the points fluctuation assume the points are stationary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Unless it's medicine or another course which specifically says random selection is used, if you get the points for a course then you're guaranteed a place.

No, ignore the points fluctuation assume the points are stationary.

Well, if the course is 400 points, and 2 people had 500 and 600 points, then both will get the course. There is no "better chance" to it in that case, if you have the points you will both be offered it.

• Advertisement

Anita Blow wrote: »
    Unless it's medicine or another course which specifically says random selection is used, if you get the points for a course then you're guaranteed a place.

Well random selection, for example 500*, means that the places are given out randomly to those on 500 points. The person on 500 would be competing against others on 500, not the person on 600.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Darth Frodo

Oh now I see, so if you get your points you are guaranteed the course....

Thanks for the clarification

Oh now I see, so if you get your points you are guaranteed the course....

Thanks for the clarification

Yes, with the only exceptions being if the points rise, or if it ends up as random selection on your points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

If a course is 400 points, everyone with 405+ who applied for it will get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭celtic10000

Quick question, sorry if this is off topic but if i apply for a course (LM074) and get the points requirements but dont get the maths requriement is it still possible to get the course? im only doing ordinary level maths and a C3 is required in higher level maths but would even an A2 or B1 in ordinary level suffice? or is there even a chance that i could even be called in to take the "special maths examination for those who did not achieve the maths requirement" ? even if i do not do higher level?

• Advertisement

Just had a look on the UL Course page and by the looks of it you have to sit the special examination. They won't take a an ordinary level grade in maths.

Just had a look on the UL Course page and by the looks of it you have to sit the special examination. They won't take a an ordinary level grade in maths.

I was thinking that.. so as far as their concerned i have just fallen into the "did not achieve the maths requirement" category? I suppose i might aswell leave the course down because i dont think theres anything to lose is there? like if i was to sit and fail that special maths exam would that mean i cant get into my second choice in UL which does NOT require honours maths? Thanks in advance

I was thinking that.. so as far as their concerned i have just fallen into the "did not achieve the maths requirement" category? I suppose i might aswell leave the course down because i dont think theres anything to lose is there? like if i was to sit and fail that special maths exam would that mean i cant get into my second choice in UL which does NOT require honours maths? Thanks in advance
    I actually don't know how it works! That special maths exam is UL specific.

It's held on the 23rd August but you'd want to get studying as it is to Higher Level standard. IE- You need to cover the Maths Higher Level syllabus.

I actually don't know how it works! That special maths exam is UL specific.

It's held on the 23rd August but you'd want to get studying as it is to Higher Level standard. IE- You need to cover the Maths Higher Level syllabus.

S**T. i guess im not going to get that course anyway but i can try. thanks for the replies:P if anyone can give me info on this id really appreciate it :)

I can't really answer the maths requirements question, I would email or ring the admissions office of the college as soon as possible before the CAO closing date.

If you were offered your number 1, you can NEVER be offered anything below that on your form. So if you did get offered the course, and failed their maths exam, unless they have some other arrangements for people who fail it, you would be left without a course. So make sure you don't just leave the course there for the craic, find out if you can sit the entrance exam after doing OL for the LC.

If they don't allow people with OL in at all, then you will just be offered your second choice. You won't get the choice between these though, so be careful with how you order your form!

I can't really answer the maths requirements question, I would email or ring the admissions office of the college as soon as possible before the CAO closing date.

If you were offered your number 1, you can NEVER be offered anything below that on your form. So if you did get offered the course, and failed their maths exam, unless they have some other arrangements for people who fail it, you would be left without a course. So make sure you don't just leave the course there for the craic, find out if you can sit the entrance exam after doing OL for the LC.

If they don't allow people with OL in at all, then you will just be offered your second choice. You won't get the choice between these though, so be careful with how you order your form!

Thats what i was thinking :/ Il try give them an email but if i get no reply it could be best to leave my safer choice down first :/ cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭bren2001

What usually happens (I do Engineering in DCU and we have a mathematics requirement) is that the CAO issue the courses out, each University does not know who they are getting. Since you did not (we are assuming) get the mathematic requirements the CAO will not offer you that course. You will get offered something lower down on your choices.

What you can do however, is once you get your points, is contact the university and say you are interested in doing the course and would like to try the extra math exam. In the meantime you pay the registration fee for the course the CAO offered you.

If you fail the math, hard luck, stay with the CAO offered one.

If you pass the math, you drop out of University and get your money back (this is only true for the first 6 weeks of your course, it changes from University to University obviously) and use the money to re-register on the different course.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

if wouldn't worry about getting 600 points if i were you...

bren2001 wrote: »
    What usually happens (I do Engineering in DCU and we have a mathematics requirement) is that the CAO issue the courses out, each University does not know who they are getting. Since you did not (we are assuming) get the mathematic requirements the CAO will not offer you that course. You will get offered something lower down on your choices.

What you can do however, is once you get your points, is contact the university and say you are interested in doing the course and would like to try the extra math exam. In the meantime you pay the registration fee for the course the CAO offered you.

If you fail the math, hard luck, stay with the CAO offered one.

If you pass the math, you drop out of University and get your money back (this is only true for the first 6 weeks of your course, it changes from University to University obviously) and use the money to re-register on the different course.

Ive tried emailing 2 or 3 of the UL staff but im just getting "out of office" auto replies.
    So you think it would be a safe bet to leave the choice first? I get get your saying and i suppose the CAO computers will just throw me out of that category if i do do achieve the maths requirement. I just really hope that if i do happen to sit the special maths exam , that it doesnt deny me entry to my next choice course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭bren2001

Ive tried emailing 2 or 3 of the UL staff but im just getting "out of office" auto replies.
    So you think it would be a safe bet to leave the choice first? I get get your saying and i suppose the CAO computers will just throw me out of that category if i do do achieve the maths requirement. I just really hope that if i do happen to sit the special maths exam , that it doesnt deny me entry to my next choice course

If its the course you want to get then leave it at first choice. If the CAO offer it to you then thats brilliant. If they dont you will get offered the next thing on your list (assuming you get the points for it). You've nothing to lose!

The University must be closed for a few weeks, they will have re opened by the time the CAO offers come out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement