Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin port careers

• 21-06-2012 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi

Any Dublin port workers, could you tell me what sort of jobs you are likely to come across in the port that would involve the turnaround of ships etc, is there a person responsible for co-ordinating activities from arrival to departure, or any other positions you would come aross around the port. Are these positions likely to pop up now and then?

New to all things Maritime!!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Dublin Port themselves employ very few people directly nowadays all of their ship handling, security ect. is outsourced. Your best bet would be to get in with one of the shipping agents/handlers like Hamilton Shipping, Conway Shipping, Burkes, NQA and others.

My experience with working with any company in Dublin Port is that their employment policies are very incestuous i.e you need to know someone in there or be related to somebody to get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

seanmac has pretty much nailed this,i'm working down the port the last 8 years on contract,very little chance of ever getting made permanent.and like seanmac said anyone working down there is probably through a agency nowadays.NQA would be your best bet.but like every where it's who you know not what you know.best of luck

Advertisement