Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is there nothing happening

Options
  • 21-06-2012 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭

quiet here lately
    is there no-one in trouble at all
    hows the leg robbie
    any pics paddy
    someone post :D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

meercat wrote: »
    quiet here lately
    hows the leg robbie
    any pics paddy

Another "member" recently gave out to me for posting pictures on this fine forum.

I dont know what in gods holy name his problem was or is???:confused:

You think thats gonna stop me from posting pics then??;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

quiet here lately
    hows the leg robbie
    any pics paddy

Well I went to change the plug on my hair curling tongs today.
    After I disconected the 5 wires(its 3 phase) didnt I bloody forget to write down where each wire went.
    I used my safety diy phase tester of course to do this..

Now im totally lost,I have a plug with a brown,blue,pink,orange and green i think,
    I know the blue goes to L but i dont know about the other 4..
    Can I cut some wires out and make it 1 or even 2 phase..

So maybe if its no trouble Meercat you could write out a full step by step quide explaining what to do,

And paddy dont forget to throw in some pictures because im sure you have went through this process at some stage in your house..

That should keep you busy for atleast a few days boys,

Thanks in advance,because I couldnt be bothered to log back on here again to say thanks after you have taken the time to help me:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

quiet here lately
    Yes I noticed that myself.
    I was, but it was mistaken identity, it was some other fella with a limp they were after.
    hows the leg robbie
    Not too bad now, at last.
    any pics paddy
    Originally posted by paddy147
    Yes I put in a few LED`s in my driveway last week
    runwaylights.jpg
    Sorted:D

paddymick wrote: »

Now im totally lost,I have a plug with a brown,blue,pink,orange and green i think,
    I know the blue goes to L but i dont know about the other 4..
    Can I cut some wires out and make it 1 or even 2 phase..

So maybe if its no trouble Meercat you could write out a full step by step quide explaining what to do,

Im not sure about meercat, but I try to avoid the brown, and the pink is usualy in between the main pins, sometimes hard to get at, but once the connection is good, many cant wait to try plugging in.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Im not sure about meercat, but I try to avoid the brown, and the pink is usualy in between the main pins, sometimes hard to get at, but once the connection is good, many cant wait to try plugging in.

Cheers Rob now I see where I was always going wrong,
    So I followed your directions and now I have another annoying problem,
    Like you said I got all excited and couldnt wait to plug it in but when it was turned on and things started to get hot my fuse blew straight away,
    I think it might be too small and I dont have a bigger one try in it..
    Ah well I think Ill have to just get a competent electrician to look at it if anyone wants to volunteer:)

Love the picture of the driveway lights btw:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I had an itchy back yesterday.

It was in an area I couldn't reach and nobody was here to advise of a corrective course of action so I just put up with it.In hindsight I should have rubbed it off a wall but hey,you live and learn.

true story:D

superg wrote: »
    I had an itchy back yesterday.

It was in an area I couldn't reach and nobody was here to advise of a corrective course of action so I just put up with it.In hindsight I should have rubbed it off a wall but hey,you live and learn.

true story:D
    Thats a whole differant forum Superg,You should have posted this over in the DIY section,Im sure someone there will tell you Woodies or B+Q have an overpriced tool for your problem.:D

paddymick wrote: »
    Cheers Rob now I see where I was always going wrong,
    So I followed your directions and now I have another annoying problem,
    Like you said I got all excited and couldnt wait to plug it in but when it was turned on and things started to get hot my fuse blew straight away,
    I think it might be too small and I dont have a bigger one try in it..
    Ah well I think Ill have to just get a competent electrician to look at it if anyone wants to volunteer:)

That happened me before, when i tried a new socket, I seemed to need a bigger fuse at the start alright. After a while though, nothing was blowing.
    Love the picture of the driveway lights btw:D
    The mrs again. Said she wanted a new landing strip. Took her up wrong again:o

paddy147 wrote: »
    Another "member" recently gave out to me for posting pictures on this fine forum.

I dont know what in gods holy name his problem was or is???:confused:

You think thats gonna stop me from posting pics then??;):D

I doubt it, nothing wrong with a few pics:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I doubt it, nothing wrong with a few pics:)

A few??????:D:D

Hows the leg btw???:)

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    A few??????:D:D

Hows the leg btw???:)

Not too bad now. Still a bit sore if walking a while, but nearly there now.

Serves you right for having a ridiculously fancy thing like 'stairs' in your house:D

superg wrote: »
    Serves you right for having a ridiculously fancy thing like 'stairs' in your house:D

It was karma for me laughing at safety courses telling us how to walk up stairs. I didnt even reach the 3rd one:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

thanks lads
    just what i needed
    at least you all have a sense of humour :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cab149

Hi,

Hope I am asking this in the right place.

I have bought 100m of 3 core armoured cable, 4 lights and 1 Robus 180 motion sensor.

Looking at the connection diagram for the motion sensor I see that it does not need to be earthed as it has 2 connections for the live and the neutral from the mains supply. I will run a 2 wire cable to this from the mains.

I then see that I have to use the same neutral connection as well as a third live out connection to the lights.....i.e. a 2 wire cable will run from the sensor to the lamps. My query is this.....how do I earth the lights? My armoured cable which I had hoped to use to run from the sensor to and between the lights has 3 internal wires (live, neutral and earth) but I seem to have only 2 exit points from the sensor....i.e no connector for the earth?

Hope this is clear. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭irishkopite 2011

It would be just as handy to run a 3 core cable from your fuseboard to your sensor because you will have the earth at da sensor. Then just put the earth in its own connector going from da sensor to da lights. You can pick up connectors anywhere.

Thanks for that. The only problem is that the sensor only has 3 connectors. One for live in (from the mains), one for neutral (which holds the neutral in from the mains and the neutral out to the lights) and one for live out (to the lights). There does not seem tobe any place to connect the earthwire?

He means you can join the 2 earths together in a connector block like below

connector_block.jpg

Ahh, I get it now. That makes sense. Thanks very much to both of you for your help. It is very much appreciated.

Advertisement