Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting bodyfat, think I may have reached a plateau.

Options
  • 22-06-2012 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I do rowing and I'm looking for some way to cut down on body fat. I've progressed well strength-wise but can't seem to drop body fat.

So my main question is (and I know this has been discussed time and again over the internet but I'm still unsure as to what advice to follow; free weights? HIIT?) how do I drop my body fat %? I specifically want to lose fat around the abdominal area. I have a "sixpack", what's bothering me is this particular area:

http://need-health.com/images/201011140934051678.jpg

But I would also like to lose bodyfat in my stomach.

This is my routine at the moment:

The gym I go to doesn't have free weights other than dumbells so I use machines only unfortunately.

Stretch for about 10 minutes.
    Warm up by cycling 5k or running 2k.

Do 3 sets of 13 reps on each of the following machines:

- Chest press
    - Shoulder press
    - Lat pulldown
    - Leg press
    - Leg extension

All at level 8 (8 weights, unsure as to how much each one of them weights exactly)

- Seated ab machine (max weights) also 3 sets of 13.

3 sets of 13 bicep curls with 12.5 kg dumbells.

2 minute plank.

Stretch again.

As a separate question for those who will recommend weight lifting to lose body fat:

Why are free weights better than machines? I've read this many times but never found an explanation to it. Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The specifics of your training is largely irrelevant. What do you eat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 patch20

Hanley wrote: »
    The specifics of your training is largely irrelevant. What do you eat?

Breakfast: bowl of whole grain cereal/weetabix with skimmed milk
    A banana midway through the morning
    Lunch: 2 tuna sandwiches made with wholemeal bread (half a can each, 10.3g of protein per slice of bread according to pack, 13.5g of protein in the tuna on each sandwich according to tin) and low fat margarine.
    Another fruit/vegetable
    Dinner = Lunch

Drink about 2-3 litres of water a day. Protein shake after gym sessions (one scoop of protein powder, 400ml milk, 1 raw egg, 200 ml water).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

patch20 wrote: »
    Breakfast: bowl of whole grain cereal/weetabix with skimmed milk
    A banana midway through the morning
    Lunch: 2 tuna sandwiches made with wholemeal bread (half a can each, 10.3g of protein per slice of bread according to pack, 13.5g of protein in the tuna on each sandwich according to tin) and low fat margarine.
    Another fruit/vegetable
    Dinner = Lunch

Drink about 2-3 litres of water a day. Protein shake after gym sessions (one scoop of protein powder, 400ml milk, 1 raw egg, 200 ml water).

:pac:

I reckon that's per every 100g of bread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Vulture

Just two things
    One
    Please cut out the margarine that stuff is terrible for you even real butter would be ten times better than that. Look up how they make margarine and if you make it as far as the bleaching process without vowing never to eat it again I'd be very suprised.
    Two
    A six pack is made in the kitchen, low fat diet, slightly less calories than you need every day apply for as long as necessary. You may unfortunatly have one of thoose body types that tend to keep it around the middle. Look at your uncles and grandparents if they got the "belly" odds are you will find it hard to melt the middle. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Vulture wrote: »
    Two
    A six pack is made in the kitchen, low fat diet, slightly less calories than you need every day apply for as long as necessary.

Not true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭SorGan

Frogdog wrote: »
    Not true.

why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

SorGan wrote: »
    Frogdog wrote: »
    Not true.

why not?
    Cause proteins builds the muscle and burns fat,while carbohydrates and fat is needed to keep up the energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

SorGan wrote: »
    why not?
    Because you don't need to eat a low fat diet to ensure a calorie deficit.
    I've eating a deficit when taking in 60% of my calories from fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Vulture

Hummm good point. Should have really said a diet with no High Glycemic index foods (Excluding post workout). Was a wee bit lazy writing that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 finni S

hi, why dont you get some fat burners, zero stims are very good from discount supplements.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Because you don't need to eat a low fat diet to ensure a calorie deficit.
    I've eating a deficit when taking in 60% of my calories from fat.

cheers, i agree... but thought frogy was arguing with "A six pack is made in the kitchen"

:)

finni S wrote: »
    hi, why dont you get some fat burners, zero stims are very good from discount supplements.

cheating!...now yer talking:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 finni S

Oh i dont think of it as cheating, but as a woman i find them great,also craze and cellular c4 are great fat burners, i know they are expensive but then anything cheap is no good, also craze is now available in lemonade flavor it should be easier to take!

Advertisement