Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Draft Match 10: Andy Carroll vs Blatter

• 22-06-2012 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭

This match is Andy Carroll vs Blatter. The match will last for 48 hours, in which time the participants will need to outline their team, basic strategy, and strategy against their opponent.

Also, the voting will take place during this 48 hour period. There will be a poll but only votes with answers developed in a post will be taken into consideration. This development doesn't have to be paragraphs long, even a single sentance is fine. But don't vote until the competitors have had a chance to outline their teams.

Guys, whenever you are ready, begin

Who wins? (Remember only Developed Answers will be Counted) 15 votes

Andy Carroll
    0%
    Blatter
    100%
    super_furrymachiavellianmeDeadParrotNukaColaLeivakeane2097101001acalmenvoyRekop dogniallo27SirDelboy18YawnsTerryTibbs!anirishladCopper_pipe 15 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

First of all, best of luck to Andy Carroll.

My team:

abCQdLxaeZ.jpg

Forwards: Balotelli, van Persie and Pedro have 64 goals between themselves last season.

There are questions marks over Balotelli's temperament but he scored 17 goals from only 22 starts for City last season. The man delivers more often than not.

Pedro didn't have the best of seasons overall but is still a class act and came bang into form towards the end culminating with 2 goals and a magnificent performance in the Copa del Rey final v Bilbao. He has scored 58 goals over the last 3 seasons.

I don't need to say a whole lot about RVP, but he has 59 goals and 22 assists over his last 81 appearances for Arsenal and has carried the side relentlessly over the last couple of seasons.

Midfield: Toni Kroos has become one of Bayern's most important players over the last 18 months or so. He's a midfield player that is very good at just about everything. He has mostly played in a free role behind the strikers for Bayern (although has played deeper quite a bit) and has an amazing pass accuracy of 90% over the last season. And these aren't just sideway passes, many are defense splitting. He was outstanding for Bayern at the Bernabeu a couple of months ago. 14 assists and 6 goals for Bayern last season. Just a really high quality player, unlucky to have Ozil ahead of him in the pecking order for Germany although many in Germany feel a place should be found for him in the team.

Montolivo is Milan's new signing and is a fine midfield player. Extremely comfortable on the ball, has great vision and is well able to dictate a game. Often referred to as Pirlo's natural successor, he possesses defensive qualities too, particularly in terms of positioning.

Javi Martinez is nearly only 24, but already has 251 senior appearances for Bilbao. A very experienced player who is extremely comfortable on the ball, can pass it well, can tackle well, has good positioning, is good in the air and can also dictate a game. Many of the top clubs are keeping an eye on him as most people are aware of.

Defense: Marcel Schmelzer is Borussia Dortmund's first choice left back and has played a key role in the club's back to back championship wins. He possesses great pace and stamina, has a good left foot on him, and is solid defensively. He will offer great width down the left hand side. Unlucky to have Lahm ahead of him in the pecking order for the national side.

Paolo Maldini does not need to be justified. Just the perfect defender. In his prime, he had pace, strength, aerial ability, skill and just unbelievable intelligence. The man was so far ahead of anybody else he hardly ever had to make a tackle.

Gary Cahill has proven himself to be a very good player over the last few months with Chelsea, where he played a key role in their CL win. Outstanding in the semi final v Barca at Stamford Bridge and unlucky to miss most of the game at the Nou Camp with injury. But was back for the final and was fantastic again. Very pacey.

Carles Puyol will bring even more leadership to my backline and has plenty of experience at right back. He will be very hard to get the better of, especially with the hard working Pedro helping out and Martinez covering on front of him. Cahill's pace beside him will also come in useful, although it has to be noted that Puyol is not actually slow, despite his age. Not as quick as he once was, but quick enough.

Goalkeeper: Szczesny is a very good keeper. Still only young and bound to get better but he can currently be relied upon. The fact that the old cliche of 'Arsenal need a new goalkeeper' has disappeared, is a testament as to how well he has done.

I'll be gone for most of the day so might as well post up why I think my team would beat Andy Carroll's.

Szczesny v Hart - Hart wins out here, although I do think Hart is over hyped somewhat.

Schmelzer v Zhirkov - Schmelzer without doubt.

Maldini v Terry - Maldini all day long.

Cahill v Rolando - I would have Cahill over him but granted I haven't seen a whole lot of Rolando, who looks a decent player.

Puyol v Selassie - Selassie is probably better going forward but Puyol is far more reliable defensively. Given a choice between the two, I'd always opt for Puyol.

Martinez v Moutinho - Martinez fairly comfortably imo.

Montolivo v Modric - Both quite similar players actually but Modric wins out here. Montolivo would be well able to put it up to him though.

Kroos v Cruyff - Clearly Cruyff wins out here.

Pedro v Goetze - Pedro is far more proven with 58 goals over the last 3 seasons. Goetze has only 15 over that same time period and was only able to make 25 appearances last season, missed out a lot through injury.

Balotelli v Jovetic - Not much to separate these two imo.

van Persie v Carroll - no real comparison between the two.

Overall I can see possession being fairly close as both teams have midfielders that are very comfortable on the ball and rarely lose it.

I think the major difference between the two teams is my front three of Pedro, Balotelli and RVP are very likely to score against Andy Carroll's defense more than once. His front three of Goetze, Jovetic and Carroll would simply score less against my defense.

Maldini v Carroll is a total mismatch and Carroll simply won't get a sniff. I think if a far better striker than him was selected in round 1 this match would be much tighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Just an observation and this is not just directed at you but most people seem to spend more time saying my right back is better than your right back, i have a better defensive midfielder etc. Ye you may well do but the fact that he has ronaldo running at your right back is surely more pertinent. How often in football do analysts compare like for like players and then decide who is going to win because of it. We need to look at a team as exactly that, a team, a fluid unit. An overall set gameplan, with tactics, counter tactics and a philosophy would be more beneficial than just well my keeper is better thn your keeper so clearly I am ahead despite the fact you have rvp, ronaldo and messi up front to make a dramatic point

Yeah, I agree it's a bit over simplistic comparing player for player or looking at defense/midfield/attack in isolation but it seems to be the biggest factor as to how the majority of people cast their votes.

The tactics/gameplan for my team aren't that complicated. First of all the pace and skill in my backline allows for a relatively high line. Cahill and Maldini will usually play the ball into feet of the nearest midfielder, Martinez more often than not, who will then usually supply it to Montolivo or Kroos. Those two are fantastic on the ball and have great vision, and will look for runs from Balotelli/RVP/Pedro, whom will all interchange somewhat. Schmelzer will also play a key role, and will be given license to bomb forward and provide width on the left. Puyol less so, but he'll venture forward at select times but Pedro offers good width down the right anyway. Kroos will be the more advanced midfielder of the three, but if at any stage the midfield is getting overrun (which I think is unlikely), he'd drop in a bit deeper. I think a defense of Zhirkov, Terry, Rolando and Selassie would have a real difficult time coping with the fluidity of Balotelli, RVP and Pedro being supplied by the quality of Kroos and Montolivo.

Defensively, I'll have a back 4. I think Maldini and Cahill would work very well together and the pace that both possess would allow them to cover for the fullbacks more easily. I don't think they would have much work to do in containing Carroll. Schmelzer and Puyol are both very sound defensively in the fullback positions and won't be beaten on their own easily anyway. Javi Martinez will play the holding role in midfield and do his best to stifle the threat of Cruyff. Montolivo and Kroos will put their fair share of effort into tracking runners off the ball. Pedro will make Puyol's job a hell of a lot easier with his great work rate and tracking back. Balotelli will help out less so on the other side, but his work rate is often underrated. He often puts in a real shift, however I'm confident with Schmelzer's pace and Maldini beside him, Balotelli's defensive role will become far less important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'd pay to see Andy Carroll fight Sepp Blatter...

Anyway.. carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Blatter wrote: »
    Defensively, I'll have a back 4. I think Maldini and Cahill would work very well together and the pace that both possess would allow them to cover for the fullbacks more easily. I don't think they would have much work to do in containing Carroll.

All credit to the unplayable Andrew Carroll, but your team haven't a hope of containing the attacking threats that my team possess.

Here are my team of winners:

abCRiVeanf.jpg
    Anyhow, to break it down somewhat:

Midfield and Attack: They are all top quality players who will wreak absolute havoc, there are goals in all of them so the opposition will be getting it from all angles. Expect that 5/6 of my front 6 to be capable of exchanging positions when they want to and generally destroying the opposition. Cruyff will play the opposition like a fiddle and my team will score more easily than Rooney on Bingo Night.

Defence: Terry and Rolando are both winners at their respective clubs. Rolando has been a mainstay at the heart of the Porto defense for the last 4 seasons, he is built like an ox and not unlike John Terry: he has a few goals in him also. They will both be a danger for the opposition from set pieces of which I expect we will get many.

Zhirkov formally of Chelsea (him and Terry familiar with one another) is a very sold left back who has also played as a left winger in his time with an excellent goal scoring record.

Selassie is a player on the up who has being very impressive at the Euros.
    He is very quick, a former long distance marathon runner and he has a leg like a whip. Capable of pinging in great crosses where permitted.

Some of the player v player breakdowns you gave were reasonable, some were not.
    All credit to the legend that is Maldini, but Maldini aside: your back 5 whilest reasonable, isn't one I would write home about. I preferred whatawaster's team whom my team beat easily in the last round.

My team will outscore yours in this match up. Tell Szczesny to wear some huggies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I love how much a dick Andy is in the Draft. Its brilliant. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Blatter has more quality all across the pitch. Blatter for me by the odd goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Blatter
    I love he has Goatse in the team

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Blatter has more quality all across the pitch. Blatter for me by the odd goal.

No he doesn't. You voted for the losing team in 50% of the last match ups. It seems your poor record continues.

• Advertisement

Andy Carroll is another one of the Harry Rednapp school of management I see. pck 11 guys and put them out on the field and hope for the best. You are playing the best wide player in the entire draft in the centre and then surrounding him with 4 central players in the hope of having some width. All those players are going to look to come inside and will limit the space. If you set up the team properly you would have a chance but I just cannot see you getting through Blatters central spine.

Blatter has RVP which I think will tear Terry and Rolando apart, they wont be able to live with his pace. BLatter for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The fact that all the apples have been placed in the basket of attack for Andy leads me to believe that his team would in the end lose this game.

There is no protection for the back four which includes an ageing and embarassing Terry and an un proven at a high level Rolando

Carroll is taken out of the game by the cb's, Javi Martinez sits on Cryuff etc, I see this as being a bad match up for Andy. Blatter is well balanced and he has a defence capable of handling Andy's team well imo, and an attack that is full of pace and fluidity which will cause havoc for Andy's defence. No natrual width either really concentrating attacks down the middle which plays into Blatters hands.

I can only see one outcome for this game, Blatter victory.

kryogen wrote: »
    The fact that all the apples have been placed in the basket of attack for Andy leads me to believe that his team would in the end lose this game.

There is no protection for the back four which includes an ageing and embarassing Terry and an un proven at a high level Rolando

Carroll is taken out of the game by the cb's, Javi Martinez sits on Cryuff etc, I see this as being a bad match up for Andy. Blatter is well balanced and he has a defence capable of handling Andy's team well imo, and an attack that is full of pace and fluidity which will cause havoc for Andy's defence. No natrual width either really concentrating attacks down the middle which plays into Blatters hands.

I can only see one outcome for this game, Blatter victory.

All the apples are not placed on my attack. My attack just happens to be superb and uncontainable.

My defense is good, they are all strong players. His defense is reasonable also. My team will outscore his all day long. Simples.
    Trippie wrote: »
    Andy Carroll is another one of the Harry Rednapp school of management I see. pck 11 guys and put them out on the field and hope for the best. You are playing the best wide player in the entire draft in the centre and then surrounding him with 4 central players in the hope of having some width. All those players are going to look to come inside and will limit the space. If you set up the team properly you would have a chance but I just cannot see you getting through Blatters central spine.

Blatter has RVP which I think will tear Terry and Rolando apart, they wont be able to live with his pace. BLatter for me

If you think Cryuff is anchored to the position listed then you don't understand Cryuff and haven't read what I posted about my team. I don't agree with your analysis on my players.

I have to rush out for a bus. You're wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

No he doesn't. You voted for the losing team in 50% of the last match ups. It seems your poor record continues.

RVP > Carroll

Pedro > Gotze

Jovetic is unproven at CL level.

Kroos, Martinez > Modric, Moutinho

His defence is better too. You're just relying on Cryuff.

Not even going to dignify the attempt at trolling with a response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Blatter for me. I can see RVP, Pedro and Balo outscoring big Andy and co.

All the apples are not placed on my attack. My attack just happens to be superb and uncontainable.

My defense is good, they are all strong players. His defense is reasonable also. My team will outscore his all day long. Simples.

If you think Cryuff is anchored to the position listed then you don't understand Cryuff and haven't read what I posted about my team. I don't agree with your analysis on my players.

Unfortunately for you, you're wrong is not a particularly strong argument.

His defence is better then yours imo, and better able to deal with what you have to offer in attack, you are ignoring how good his attack is also for some reason?

Football isnt as simple as my attack is totally super cool and will outscore everybody for sure!

But you know this.

Why do you seem sure your team will outscore his all day anyway? You have Andy Carroll up front, not a goal machine, Cryuff, will find it tricky to run the game with the constant attention of Martinez, Goetze is not a goal machine, Jovetic has managed 27 goals in two years (including international matches) so not a goal machine either and with the cb combination that Blatter has he is very well equipped to take away the front man and make the attacks very one dimensional.

But hey, rather then argue this out with you properly, shall I just say, no your wrong? easier that way yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

Blatter
    But whos better to rely on then Cruyff :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Blatter
    Going with Andy Carroll to win this one. Blatter may have all round consistency but I think Andy Carrolls strategy of all out attack could pay dividend here. I especially didnt like Blatters player vs player breakdown since RvP may well be better than Andrew Thomas but the latter has been awesome in his appearances whereas Robin van didnt look like he cared or wasnt capable of meeting the challenge? Internationals are different beasts to EPL, Liga etc.

Anyways, I like Andy Carrolls attack. I also prefer his defence, mainly because I dont like Puyol. He is a spanish JT (who I notice Andy has) but hasnt the same presence as JT going forward or defending imo (he is rarely tested for Spain/Barca and concedes too many when he is). I also think Hart is a great shot stopper whereas Szchesny has a long way to go. Hence, I think Andy will beat Blatter 3-2 on account of goalkeeping heroics.

Midfield and Attack: They are all top quality players who will wreak absolute havoc, there are goals in all of them so the opposition will be getting it from all angles. Expect that 5/6 of my front 6 to be capable of exchanging positions when they want to and generally destroying the opposition. Cruyff will play the opposition like a fiddle and my team will score more easily than Rooney on Bingo Night.

From what I have seen this is the only tactical analysis of your attacking players. This really is the Harry Redknapp school of Tactics today. Ye i know about Cryuff, so he drifts wide, except Jovetic is there, does he fill in in the centre, come deeper or push on ahead, does Modric push up, does gotze come across. It seems to be just a 5 a side game you are playing where the team converge around the ball and hope for the best. Is Andy Carroll leading the line or are you pinging balls into him for the knock downs for onrushing players, is he holding the ball up hoping to slip Jovetic in behind the defence or does he just turn and smash it in the bottom corner.

I may be wrong but at least I am trying to analyse it as opposed to yeah your ma type answer

Also reminds me of the all out galactico attack of madrid from after when they won things. No real shape or organisation and as we have seen in recent years a team with shape where everyone knows their role can nulify and beat even the greatest team of all time apparently

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Blatter to win in the highest scoring game ever! 14-6.

Seriously his midfield has more balance and his defence is much stronger. Especially at CB where Andy Caroll is especially weak as that midfield will give him no cover. Like with the wingers for his FB's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Andy's defense is the weakest in the competition imo. Cryuff is magnificent mind, but everywhere else on the pitch he'll lose the individual battles.

Blatter to progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Blatter
    I think people are underestimating how perfect Andys Midfield is. You'd win any game with a midfield like that. Fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Blatter
    As was said earlier, I can see Hart performing goalkeeping heroics. I actually think Carroll will be an awful nuisance for Maldini and Cahill, he might not score but he'll occupy them. I can see that team scoring two or three on Szczesny (yes, I did have to google how to spell that). Its a team made to out score the opposition. A High scoring draw, Andy to take it on penalties

NukaCola wrote: »
    I think people are underestimating how perfect Andys Midfield is. You'd win any game with a midfield like that. Fact.

You do understand the word fact right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Blatter
    You do understand the word fact right?

LOL...added that for dramatic effect :D

All joking aside, magnificent midfield......an average enough back four would not be as exposed as some may think with that midfield ahead of them

The tactics offered by Blatter are that his team have pace and skill, will play a high line and his full backs will bomb forward. That's about it. Fair enough.

My defense are professionals who play at a high level and are more than capable of doing the job, a pile of titles between them.

My midfield is class.

Beyond the obvious that is Paulo Maldini, his defense are no great shakes, apart from his keeper who can be a bit shaky.
    I do love Super Mario but I wouldn't want to rely on the guy.

My team have a vast array of attacking options, far more so than his
    We will also be a huge threat from set pieces also, his team will be under siege for the entire game and not even the great Paulo Maldini will be able to save the rest of the defense and Chesneys blushes.

@Trippie, the first thing you did was to compare me to Harry Rednapp. Fack off.
    Jovetic is unproven at CL level.

Champions League? Who is talking about 'Champions League level'?

Like the prowess of Gary Cahill at 'Champions league level'? - Five appearances
    Schmelzer? 5 champions league appearances.
    John T has 90 European appearances.
    Zhirkov has 58.

That was pure pub talk tbf.
    Kroos, Martinez > Modric, Moutinho

Modric > the rest.

@Lloyd, it's utter nonsense to suggest that my team will lose every individual battle. Get some rest.

NukaCola wrote: »
    LOL...added that for dramatic effect :D

All joking aside, magnificent midfield......an average enough back four would not be as exposed as some may think with that midfield ahead of them

It's funny how a select few have managed to discount not just my defense, but my midfield, the mind boggles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's funny how a select few have managed to discount not just my defense, but my midfield, the mind boggles!

Your D sucks bud.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Your D sucks bud.

^ron-manager.jpg

Nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Blatter
    Think Andy Carroll has this again. People who are questioning the likes of Gotze and Jovetic really need to broaden their horizons, they are terrific.

I wouldn't have the defenses leagues apart in quality as some are suggesting, but it remains that Blatter's team simply doesn't create enough from the evidence of the past season. Balotelli in particular had 2 assists for example, which is a shocking return.

Yeah Javi Martinez is a good player. He was nothing exceptional this season though. Coming up against arguably the best player of all time is an entirely different proposition for him, and I think that while Carroll stands out as a weak link, he is a willing worker/runner and does have the ability to ruffle some defenders.

Still not convinced about Cahill/Puyol out wide at his age.

Saying that, Selassie hasn't done enough at club level, only just moving to a mid-table club.

Again very even, but I think that the Cryuff factor is very important. The likes of Moutinho and Modric have proven themselves capable of sitting deep if needed, and there won't be an obvious amount of directness coming from Blatter's midfield to trouble them.

Andy Carroll by 1 goal this time.

Nobody discounts your midfield, I raise the issue of having no cover for your defence, which sucks.

Blatter
    Nobody discounts your midfield, I raise the issue of having no cover for your defence, which sucks.

Modric and Moutinho are perfectly capable of sitting deep. We have seen this with Moutinho plenty over the past few weeks, who is able to get a tackle in also.

Modric and Moutinho are perfectly capable of sitting deep. We have seen this with Moutinho plenty over the past few weeks, who is able to get a tackle in also.

Carrick is also perfectly capable of sitting deep, he is also perfectly capable of getting found out in that role when he comes up against quality opposition.

Veloso is providing the screen to the Portugeese defence, Modric does his bet work in an advanced role.

Blatter
    Carrick is also perfectly capable of sitting deep, he is also perfectly capable of getting found out in that role when he comes up against quality opposition.

Veloso is providing the screen to the Portugeese defence, Modric does his bet work in an advanced role.

I would strongly argue that Carrick gets "found out" due to his partner 9 times out of 10. V Man City this year he was United's best player, let down by others, V Barca in the CL final in 11, he was let down by Giggs who was shocking.

Moutinho is still perfectly capable of sitting deep, Veloso has not been the only one providing defensive cover in the midfield, the way they are set up all 3 contribute.

Under AVB for Porto, Fernando did sit deepest, but Moutinho wasn't too far away from him. I'd again debate the Modric line that you have used. He is excellent in retaining possession and distributing the ball cleanly and effectively. I don't thin Modric is going to be expected to screen the defense, but he and Moutinho are more than capable of keeping possession and acting as a screen to allow Cruyff, Jovetic and Gotze to attempt use their attacking talents.

Theres a stat about there somewhere that shows Modric made more interceptions than the likes of Barry, Arteta, Toure, Song etc, actually among the highest in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Blatter
    AC nicks this for me. Cruyff will be the difference.

Blatters midfield trio is also very capable of retaining possession though and I don't see them breaking up play as much as you may think.

The attacking options of Andys team can only be utilised if the win the midfield battle, I am not convinced that they would. The tactic of, your brilliant on the ball, go and play will not work against good teams.

* What a goal Philip Lahm!

For the record, I am not saying this would be a blow out, but I would be putting my money on Blatter 8 times out of 10

You hate money.

You hate money.

i_love_money_281x211.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Andy's defense is the weakest in the competition imo.
    Its not even close to the weakest.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Its not even close to the weakest.

Don't mind Lloyd. He is fearful of having to play my team in the next round, ditto moneymaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Blatter for me, there's not much in AC's midf from a defensive POV, which I think will be his downfall. Also, Carroll leading the line in a team full of technically brilliant players?? He'd get found out within 5 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Have to go for Blatter although I think he is very lucky. His defense is all over the shop with a top class centreback at right back and the best full back to ever play the game is his lesser position of centre half. He says Maldini all day in Maldini vs Terry which I don't agree with at all. Put them at full back and I'll obviously agree, put them in their best positions and I'll agree wholeheartedly too but not as CB vs CB. I think Terry is better in that position if there is anything between them.

Still he has Javi Martinez(another exceptional CB) sitting in front of them and he is an outstanding defensive midfielder. After that the battle gets more interesting though but I just feel that Pedro will eat Zhirkov alive and with Balotelli and Van Persie to finish off moves I think Blatter wins it. Picking Andy Carroll up front is where Andy Carroll's team ultimately falls down for me.

Thanks for your thoughts EE.

Puyol at right back is a curious one, he is listed as a center back, left back and lastly at right back. He's also 34, his days of bombing around as suggested are gone. Square peg.
    I toyed with the idea of chosing Kuyt at right back as our Cryuff said he would play him there but I saw sense.

Zhirkov is being underrated here, he is a quality player.

Also, I just found this on his wiki:
    Wiki wrote:
    Many American fans who watched the tournament found pleasure in the English pronunciation of his name: Jerk Off, a common USA slang phrase translating roughly to mean "the action a man uses to sexually stimulate himself or with the help of a woman".

Moutinho can fall back to add protection to the back four if required, Blatter's team will have to get the ball first though.

THFC wrote: »
    Blatter for me, there's not much in AC's midf from a defensive POV, which I think will be his downfall. Also, Carroll leading the line in a team full of technically brilliant players?? He'd get found out within 5 minutes.

He'd thrive, tyvm.
    Think Andy Carroll has this again. People who are questioning the likes of Gotze and Jovetic really need to broaden their horizons, they are terrific.

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Blatter
    I cannot vote against a team with Cryuff in it, sorry.:)

AC to win, close at 16-15.

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    I cannot vote against a team with Cryuff in it, sorry.:)

AC to win, close at 16-15.

Who scores the winner?

Blatter
    Who scores the winner?

Andy Carroll obviously?

Andy+Carroll+scores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Blatter
    Andy Carroll will be the new Drogba in 2 years.

I look forward to Andy Carroll linking us to this thread then.

?

• Advertisement
Advertisement