Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Draft Match 10: Andy Carroll vs Blatter

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Andy Carroll will be the new Drogba in 2 years.

I look forward to Andy Carroll linking us to this thread then.

The thing is, what you think Andy Carroll will be in two years time is completely irrelevant to this thread. (and he won't be the new Drogba)

At the moment he's not up to scratch, and will probably just get in the way/break down the moves that the vastly technically superior players around him will create.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

You been away all night, serious amount of campaigning to catch up on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Blatter
    Blatter wrote: »
    The thing is, what you think Andy Carroll will be in two years time is completely irrelevant to this thread. (and he won't be the new Drogba)

At the moment he's not up to scratch, and will probably just get in the way/break down the moves that the vastly technically superior players around him will create.
    Not in this match though, he could have the best game of his life. Who knows?

kryogen wrote: »
    You been away all night, serious amount of campaigning to catch up on :D

I'll be away all day again today, so we'll just have to leave it to the powers that be! :p

I must thank you and everybody else that campaigned on my behalf tough.

And AC, where on earth is it listed that Puyol is a left back over being a right back? It's pretty well known that he can play both roles, but is more comfortable at right back, a position he has played more times than the amount of career goals Andy Carroll has to his name.

Not in this match though, he could have the best game of his life. Who knows?

And Terry might fall flat on his face again with RVP bagging another hat trick.

terryrux4.gif

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

How is this even level?

lordgoat wrote: »
    How is this even level?

Andy has been doing better pr and campaiging cause Blatter not around maybe :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Blatter
    lordgoat wrote: »
    How is this even level?

You're right. Andy should be way in front.
    He's got Cruyff and Andy Carroll ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Not surprised its level, or at least was. 2 very good sides. I honestly can't pick a winner.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Think this is closer than a lot of people are making out.

If he had gone for a different striker, and perhaps a proper DM as I feel Rolando and Terry would be exposed massively when his team would be in attack, I'd have given AC Slater the edge here. One minor issue with the players selected is the positions, I'd have Modric playing the deeper midfield role over Moutinho. Moutinho's game is very Scholes-esque. Not saying he's in the same caliber as Scholes just his game is similar, and that includes defensively. Other than that, maybe on current form, Terry is a poor choice. Love the choices for AM and full backs especially it must be said.

Sorry Sir Carroll of Geordie Shore. Gone for Blatter.

Couple of picks, and you'd have had a really great chance of winning this outright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

First of all, best of luck to Andy Carroll.

My team:

abCQdLxaeZ.jpg

abCRiVeanf.jpg

Andy Carroll
    I think Terry vs Van Persie is a big mistake, he gets caught flat footed a bit sometimes. I also see Moutinho and Modric as being a bit slight to be playing holding and central midfield. Attack wise your team is good but Andy Carroll as your striker is strange.

Blatter
    I think this team is stronger but I would not have picked Szechney in Goals or Puyol on as a right back. Van Persie and Balotelli as strike partners would be fantastic.

Overall its a tight call but I have to go with Blatter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

gh.

And AC, where on earth is it listed that Puyol is a left back over being a right back? I

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/carles-puyol/profil/spieler_7594.html
    1_302.jpg

Regardless, he is 34. Your assertion that he will be 'bombing forward' is a bit off. He'll probably cough up a lung 20 minutes in to the game.

Also, and as much as I love him, if anyone is looking for somewhere to put their spare tenner, stick it on Super Mario to get himself sent off.

And Terry might fall flat on his face again with RVP bagging another hat trick.

article-2156641-13878A91000005DC-195_634x358.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Blatter
    Mr Carroll gets my vote

it remains that Blatter's team simply doesn't create enough from the evidence of the past season. Balotelli in particular had 2 assists for example, which is a shocking return.

Of all the criticisms of my team I've seen this has to be the most bizarre. Lack of creativity, are you actually serious?

Goal/assists taken from ESPN for last season (club and country):

Balotelli - 2 assists & 20 goals; 80% PA (passing accuracy)

van Persie - 10 assists & 43 goals; 80% PA

Pedro - 8 assists & 14 goals; 90% PA

Kroos - 16 assists & 7 goals; 90% PA

Montolivo - 4 assists & 5 goals; 80% PA

Martinez - 1 assists & 4 goals; 90% PA (played CB for most of the season)

Schmelzer - 4 assists & 1 goal; 68% PA

Cahill - 5 goals; 83% PA

Puyol - 5 goals 91% PA

Yet, there's somehow a lack of creativity in my team.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/carles-puyol/profil/spieler_7594.html
    1_302.jpg

Regardless, he is 34. Your assertion that he will be 'bombing forward' is a bit off. He'll probably cough up a lung 20 minutes in to the game.

Well transfermarket is wrong. But most people would know that so it's cool.

Puyol is 34 but he's still fit and is well able to get up and down the line. But I had already made it pretty clear that he'd be the more conservative fullback anyway.

Also, and as much as I love him, if anyone is looking for somewhere to put their spare tenner, stick it on Super Mario to get himself sent off.

Balotelli has 2 red cards last season from 42 appearances for club and country. Keep your tenner in your pocket, it's highly unlikely he'll get sent off.

• Advertisement

Schmelzer - 4 assists & 1 goal; 68% PA

That Schmelzer lad couldn't pass wind!
    Might be best to tell him to hoof it into touch if gets the ball. My attacking unit are licking their chops.

That Schmelzer lad couldn't pass wind. Might be best to tell him to hoof it into touch if gets the ball. My attacking unit are licking their chops.

Your left back, Zhirkov, only has a few % more in PA, so pretty much the same for him ya?

Well transfermarket is wrong. But most people would know that so it's cool.

Puyol is 34 but he's still fit and is well able to get up and down the line. But I had already made it pretty clear that he'd be the more conservative fullback anyway.

Said he'd be bombing. :p

Balotelli has 2 red cards last season from 42 appearances for club and country. Keep your tenner in your pocket, it's highly unlikely he'll get sent off.

2 red cards from 14 starts in the league. He is a striker, has no business getting sent off.

He is usually subbed off after the first pointless yellow anyhow.
    He won't get that opportunity in this game.

Said he'd be bombing. :p

This is actually what I said:
    Schmelzer will also play a key role, and will be given license to bomb forward and provide width on the left. Puyol less so, but he'll venture forward at select times but Pedro offers good width down the right anyway.

Note the words ''less so'' and ''select times'' :p
    2 red cards from 14 starts in the league. He is a striker, has no business getting sent off.

He is usually subbed off after the first pointless yellow anyhow.
    He won't get that opportunity in this game.

The second yellow he got against Liverpool was harsh (Skrtel exaggerating got him sent off) and getting sent off against Arsenal didn't really matter because it was so late on.

Did it not matter in that he got suspended then?
    Ah no, I love Mario. I'm delighted to have him involved even for 40 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Blatter for me. Andy Carroll up front for Andy Carroll is a big black mark.

Well he didn't get sent off in the last game so I can confirm he will be available for this match. Currently, that's all that matters :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Blatters defence and attack has it for me. Although I prefer the look of the Modric and Moutinho pairing in the middle of the park, I think the Blatters attack would do far better against Andy's defence than the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Blatter
    Puyol isn't a right back, Cahill is lolbad, Maldini is OOP, why are people saying Blatters defence is good?

Carrolls team owns the ball, exposes the RHS of blatters defence and gets the win pretty easily here.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Puyol isn't a right back, Cahill is lolbad, Maldini is OOP, why are people saying Blatters defence is good?

Carrolls team owns the ball, exposes the RHS of blatters defence and gets the win pretty easily here.

Puyol has played right back several times for Barca and has been fine.

Cahill isn't lolbad.

Maldini played centre back plenty of times and was great. Man of the match there in the CL final '03.

And Carroll's team doesn't own the ball either. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Blatter
    Two very strong sides and on paper Blatter looks toughest, but Andy has pulled off a sneaky trick here and when you think about it could win in a number of positions.

Andy win for me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I hope I draw you in the Semis Andy. ;)

You've turned your hand face up already Lloyd, your tactical voting was lolbad. Much like your precious Greece last night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Blatter
    Puyol has played right back several times for Barca and has been fine.

Cahill isn't lolbad.

Maldini played centre back plenty of times and was great. Man of the match there in the CL final '03.

And Carroll's team doesn't own the ball either. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

When exactly? I watch Barca plenty and Alves owns that position. I've seen him at left back a lot (when not CB) and he didnt exactly bomb forward, unless going up front for corners counts? He is well and truly past it. Only that Barca and Spain have such high possession, he isnt exposed as often as he would in say the EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You've turned your hand face up already Lloyd, your tactical voting was lolbad. Much like your precious Greece last night!

Nothing tactical, genuinely surprised at this result. You play hard though it must be said

• Advertisement

Only realised that Puyol was picked in the 9th 'Not at the Euros' round.
    You could have had Sagna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Blatter
    When exactly? I watch Barca plenty and Alves owns that position. I've seen him at left back a lot (when not CB) and he didnt exactly bomb forward, unless going up front for corners counts? He is well and truly past it. Only that Barca and Spain have such high possession, he isnt exposed as often as he would in say the EPL.

This, have seen him play on the left a lot on the right not so much,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Given he'd not picked Cahill until Round 10, I assume he picked Puyol as a CB, and then decided the RB options were not good enough and put Puyol there?

Also Puyol is a RB before a LB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

The votes are in, and I believe that Blatter has beaten Andy Carroll by a score of 12-9.

Congrats and good luck to Blatter.

Commiserations to AC, great competitor.

Unlucky there, few actual thoughts from some of the voters for Andy would have made a huge difference going by the overall poll results :)

Good luck Blatter.

keane2097 wrote: »
    This, have seen him play on the left a lot on the right not so much,

Yeah, well obviously Puyol isn't going to be playing on the right at Barca a whole lot recently because Alves is so great and is nearly always fit.

But that doesn't equate to him not being able to play there, he has filled in there a few times over the last few seasons and was fine. As I said before he spent a large portion of his career at right back and is very experienced there.
    Good luck Blatter.

Unlucky, fair play on getting so far and coming so close here considering Andy Carroll was your first pick. It was a great achievement.

Advertisement