Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fake Rolex

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Are u sure u weren't singing Frankie goes to Hollywood. Relax, don't do it, when u want to go do it, when u want to come.

Actually looking at the lyrics that's a filthy song!!

Ever seen the music video? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Ficheall wrote: »
    We seem to be trying to make different points here. I was trying to make the point that someone spending silly money on a brand name watch didn't make a whole pile more sense than someone spending money that might be almost comparably silly on a replica. I have no issue with people buying watches - it's good to be able to tell the time, sometimes. It's just that, assuming Rolexes don't have some functionality benefit of which I am unaware (aside from the potential to impress and lure oneself some honeyed bitches, yo), then they're not really any better as timepieces than an ordinary, cheaper watch.
    You seem to be trying to suggest that I was implying that spending any money at all on a hobby was frivolous...
    Yes, but some people - like me - like watches per se and regard it as a bit of a hobby. I have about a couple of dozen at the moment. I enjoy them the way others enjoy paintings, music or books - but I enjoy music and books too. :) I haven't bought a Rolex yet, but a couple of them appeal to me a lot. If I get one, I won't be buying it to win the admiration (or more likely, contempt) of strangers - it will be because I like it.
    Ficheall wrote: »
    I suppose the common ground for the two points is that we can agree that there are people who are really into their watches who might want to spend an exorbitant amount on a Rolex for their collection.
    I would suspect, though, that a large proportion of people who go for "Rolex" or similar "brand names" do so solely to be seen to have the brand, and may not know a tourbillon from a pendulum...
    Yes, 100% correct. This is the triumph of Rolex marketing. In reality, in prestige and quality terms, there dozens of makers above them - and their days of innovation (outside of marketing) are well in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Rolex watches are so 80's :rolleyes:

Rolex watches are so 80's :rolleyes:
    Yeah, but aren't the 80s cool again? Like the 60s used to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

gpf101 wrote: »
    Not true tbh. Whatever your opinion on fakes you can get a Rolex sub with a genuine ETA movement for around €200. 99% of people wouldn't tell the difference.

What has that got to do with what i said?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

bluewolf wrote: »
    I don't like wearing a watch
    Banned from the watches & timepieces forum
    I have a few little designer luxuries that I love, Prada & Bvlgari sunglasses, an Anya Hindmarch bag etc. I absolutely love nice things but not fake things just for the sake of having a name on it.
    I agree. I look at quality first, fashionable name second. Quite often one does not follow the other and you can get higher quality, sometimes much higher with lesser names. This goes for the subject of the topic in a big way.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Banned from the watches & timepieces forum

:pac:
    pocket watches are seriously cool

can't stand bracelets or watches on me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The only reason I wear a watch is so I can tell at the time. I don't wear it as a fashion statement. Therefore my €30 Adidas digital watch is adequate and has lasted me longer than a fake Rolex would have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I disagree. Some people like cars, some people like watches, some people like horse racing. Some people spend a 10 grand a year on booze and fags.

Do you have any hobby or interest?

I can understand somebody spending a lot of money to buy and item related to a hobby/interest, and to spend a lot of time looking for the item if it is not readily available.

If you have a passion for watches etc by all means indulge - it's something you will treasure, and not just for it's monetary value.

I think the problem with designer brands/labels is that they represent a lot of the Celtic tiger snobbery. I know a lot of people who bought clothes, cars etc. based on the logo as opposed to quality or actual need.

• Advertisement

I can understand somebody spending a lot of money to buy and item related to a hobby/interest, and to spend a lot of time looking for the item if it is not readily available.

If you have a passion for watches etc by all means indulge - it's something you will treasure, and not just for it's monetary value.

I think the problem with designer brands/labels is that they represent a lot of the Celtic tiger snobbery. I know a lot of people who bought clothes, cars etc. based on the logo as opposed to quality or actual need.

I find that as a general rule branded clothes and other products are far superior to cheaper ones.

Now watches are a bad example of this as you can get a cheap reliable digital watch that does a job but it will obviously not be as nice an item to own as a proper watch.

But when it comes to clothes etc more expensive branded clothes look better, fit much better and stand up to washing much better than cheap clothes. Another example is sunglasses there is no comparison between a cheap pair of sunglasses you buy and a pair of Ray Bans for instance. I bought a pair recently and just holding them in your hand compared to most unbranded sunglasses and you will instantly feel the difference in quality, the lenses are far superior and of course they look much better too.

I find that as a general rule branded clothes and other products are far superior to cheaper ones.

Now watches are a bad example of this as you can get a cheap reliable digital watch that does a job but it will obviously not be as nice an item to own as a proper watch.

But when it comes to clothes etc more expensive branded clothes look better, fit much better and stand up to washing much better than cheap clothes. Another example is sunglasses there is no comparison between a cheap pair of sunglasses you buy and a pair of Ray Bans. I bought a pair in the US recently and they were not cheap but just hold them in your had compared to most sunglasses and you will instantly feel the difference in quality and also the lenses are far superior.

Fair enough, you're buying things for quality and know they will last. My issue is with people who just want to be seen with a label without any consideration for quality or value for money. There is a massive difference.

Fair enough, you're buying things for quality and know they will last. My issue is with people who just want to be seen with a label without any consideration for quality or value for money. There is a massive difference.

Well quality is definitely a consideration but with clothes a nice fit and design is important too and I find that difficult to achieve with cheap clothes. Btw I'm not talking about buying massively expensive things either, far from it. Just spending that bit more to get something which is, imo, better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I've a fake rolex, its actually quite a nice watch, had the pleasant sweep instead of ticking and its one of those kinetic/self winding ones.

I'd wear it more often only I seldom watches at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I had a fake rolex years ago...battery died. Brought it into weirs to get battery changed. Girl takes watch says come back in an hour and gives me a receipt.

I go back in hour later, girl not there, very angry man takes my receipt, tears it up, hands me watch and tells me to get out and not to come back with it again...

Now the receipt was for a 25k watch :P I always wondered what would have happened if i had gone back and said thats not my watch, thats a fake! I mean I had a receipt for a real one!!!

But when it comes to clothes etc more expensive branded clothes look better, fit much better and stand up to washing much better than cheap clothes. Another example is sunglasses there is no comparison between a cheap pair of sunglasses you buy and a pair of Ray Bans for instance. I bought a pair recently and just holding them in your hand compared to most unbranded sunglasses and you will instantly feel the difference in quality, the lenses are far superior and of course they look much better too.

actually tests were done on brainiac and on myth busters... branded jeans didn't last any longer than the cheaper jeans. in some cases the branded ones wore out quicker

• Advertisement

I have a few little designer luxuries that I love, Prada & Bvlgari sunglasses, an Anya Hindmarch bag etc. I absolutely love nice things but not fake things just for the sake of having a name on it.

I hope you've discovered the Killare Village designer outlet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I just use my phone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

ColHol wrote: »
    I just use my phone :)

what is it? A samsong, nukia, snapple?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Never understood this whole thing of buying counterfeit versions of high end products.
    Its just like costume jewellery really, I understand it.
    I'm sure there are also high end fakes, no doubt they still come at a price.
    It is feasible that a fake factory could set up the same quality of equipment and manufacturing processes & materials, but have none of the massive marketing costs involved, they take advantage of the other peoples good name.

There was a program on discovery looking at watch making in China, so high end brands were told the factory could produce say 1000 a week, the company would send out inspectors to check this. But once gone they stayed open all night & weekend using the exact same equipment & tools to churn out more, getting materials from the same suppliers, so in effect making the same quality watches.

Some fakes would be very dangerous, I am a product designer and had one of my products copied which was now electrically hazardous and uses high currents, externally it was a very good copy, It took me a minute or so to cop it was fake when I first saw one. The sole might fall off a fake ugg boot, a fake GHD could burn the house down.

rubadub wrote: »
    The sole might fall off a fake ugg boot, a fake GHD could burn the house down.
    But the sole might fall off just as you run to switch off a Doomsday device, killing us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Roadend wrote: »
    what is it? A samsong, nukia, snapple?

A blueberry

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Flaker

I bought one about 5-6 years ago for about $100 cos I liked the look of the watch - it's a man's sliver watch with a silver face, I think it's the Daytona model if I remember correctly. Even though it says Rolex (the writing is tiny by the way) I always tell everyone who admires it, and that's loads of people, that it's a Folex. I didn't buy it cos it was a fake Rolex but cos it's a lovely watch. It's keeps time brilliantly, I've only changed the battery once and it's so big and sturdy. I've banged it around the place and the face has never even been scratched. I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

What would you do?
    Usually drink, usually dance, usually babble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

bluewolf wrote: »
    I don't like wearing a watch

Awww you're a sundial man like myself!

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Awww you're a sundial man like myself!

bluewolf is a lady if i recall ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

People still wear watches? :eek:

Yakult wrote: »
    People still wear watches? :eek:

I had stopped for years but bought a cheap casio watch for doing some timing and once you get back into wearing one you start missing it if you dont wear it.

Something like this is just class though:

http://www.tagheuer.com/int-en/home#/int-en-thecollections-menswatches-watches-carrera-products-carreracalibre16daydatea-productsheet-cv2a10-fc6235

Want!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I got one in China about five years ago. It was about ten euros and is indistinguishable from real except to an expert. It even has the micro laser etching on the crystal. Of course once you open it and look at the movement its obviously not real.

I used to wear it once in awhile. Now it just sits in a drawer. It feels just as ostentatious wearing a fake five thousand euro watch as it does wearing a real one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Never saw a nice looking Rolex. If anybody has post a link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

Ray Palmer wrote: »

Why don't you google it yourself ya lazy b$5t&r3::mad:

• Advertisement

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Your mileage may vary, but how about one of these guys, or perhaps this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

I like nice watches, once bought a watch when I was on hoildays, for €20. It was silver with a dark electric blue face, and chunky, it looked really cool. I really liked it, and it kept great time happy days :D It wasn't until I came home I realised it was a forgery looked a bit like this one.

http://www.jomashop.com/tag-heuer-waj1112ba0870.html?ref3=nxtg

except the colour of the face was as described above, after all the slagging I got in the pubs (mind you it was a good talking point), I think I eventually sold it for €30 one drunken night. I had a cheap night out, and your man had his talking point. Everyone was happy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Wearing fake clothes / jewellery is a bit sad. If you need to be seen wearing a fake Rolex to make others think better of you or whatever reason then there's something wrong (with you). You're only fooling yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

When it comes to counterfit I think Ireland leaves China in the dust.
    Fake accents,tans,tits,teeth,uggs,hair,handbags,watches,flowers,nails,Cds,
    Army(FCA),Guarda(reserve),musicians(to many to mention)and last but not least A whole fake economy. Beat that China.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

I bought one in Lanzarote a few years ago for €10, lasted about 3 years. The stainless steel band was worth €10 alone

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

rubadub wrote: »
    Some fakes would be very dangerous, I am a product designer and had one of my products copied which was now electrically hazardous and uses high currents, externally it was a very good copy, It took me a minute or so to cop it was fake when I first saw one. The sole might fall off a fake ugg boot, a fake GHD could burn the house down.
    The big problem for a lot of brands is that they let stuff be made in places like China where piracy is rampant and dodgy stuff like melamine in milk happen.

Cicso distributors have been caught by fake goods in their supply chain. The implications of this regarding privacy and security go way past the consequences of buying ropey Ugg boots.

If you get stuff made in China you have to expect there will be brand dilution. How many sucides have there been in a certain factory that makes kit for everyone including Apple ?

But genuine stuff can be dangerous too, look at all the Sony batteries that explode, look at the genuine hologrammed Nokia batteries that explode too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

weiland79 wrote: »
    I'm a Jeweller i have a shop. I see them every week without fail. Please do not buy one. When something goes wrong, which it invariably will, you have zero come back and zero chance of getting a watchmaker to repair it.

Had a woman in the shop a few years ago that had bought one online for 800 euro. When it arrived it wasn't working and to make a long story short it was basically tough sh!t, throw it in the bin.

What makes it worse was that she knew she was buying a fake, so no sympathy.
    gpf101 wrote: »
    Not true tbh. Whatever your opinion on fakes you can get a Rolex sub with a genuine ETA movement for around €200. 99% of people wouldn't tell the difference.
    weiland79 wrote: »
    What has that got to do with what i said?

First of all spending €800 on a fake is extreme. She may have been scammed and god a dodgey Rolex with a cheap Asian movement. Fair enough. That's different.

But... I could spend €800 on a fake tonight, it would have a genuine Valjoux 7750 movement and possible a gen dial and superlumed hands. Every part of the watch would be interchangeable with gen parts. I bet you a pint you'd really really struggle to tell if it was real or fake. If anything went wrong with it parts for a 7750 are easy to come by to fix it. Tough **** throw it in the bin? Not a chance. Any watchmaker who's worth their salt can service a 7750 and if not there are plenty of people online who can service them. Ya you don't go to an authorised dealer with it but I've had a watchmaker repair the keyless works on an ETA 2824 for me before absolutely no problem.

I've since gotten rid of any fake I've had because the idea of them doesn't sit right with me but you comment is incorrect. You may see them every week but you more than likely see crap that people were ripped off with. There is a whole other side to it that's actually quite scary and extremely extremely accurate. They would only be detected by an expert familiar with the brand.

I'm not condoning them but they do exist. So a sweeping statement saying not to buy one because you'll be left with an €800 paperweight is just not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

My bro-in-law has a very, very wealthy uncle and his wife is mad about designer stuff to the point of tacky. When she visits Ireland, she always pops off to Brown Thomas to stock up.

My step mam likes to shop in charity shops and got an imitation Luis Viutton bag for a fiver. She doesn't normally like fakes but it was a nice bag.

The rich wife saw my step mam carrying this fake bag while visiting and was telling my family how gorgeous her Luis Viutton was and was begging her husband to get her something similar, so the husband asks my step mam where she got it from and my step mam told him, he told the wife and wife was horrified. Couldn't believe she couldn't spot a real from a fake and the fact that she bought it in a charity shop!! Twas gold. Poor woman was disgusted with herself.

Sure if the rich can't even tell the difference, what's the point? It's a total farce...The Real Deal or fakes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A friend of mine is very proud of his watch. There's nothing wrong with having a nice watch, but if you ask him the time he takes out his phone.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

I have a phone, and my phone has a clock on it.
    Why the F**K would I wear a piece of jewellery

Women wear jewellery

this is the 21st century, buy a phone, loose the lady watch

Stiffler2 wrote: »

Women wear jewellery
    Women also wear clothes. This is not a good argument for not wearing clothes.

Women also wear clothes. This is not a good argument for not wearing clothes.

excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Stiffler2 wrote: »

Women wear jewellery

this is the 21st century, buy a phone, loose the lady watch

This thread is not for you, friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭flutered

When it comes to counterfit I think Ireland leaves China in the dust.
    Fake accents,tans,tits,teeth,uggs,hair,handbags,watches,flowers,nails,Cds,
    Army(FCA),Guarda(reserve),musicians(to many to mention)and last but not least A whole fake economy. Beat that China.
    the best post that i have read in all my years watching this site

markesmith wrote: »
    This thread is not for you, friend

You're not my friend guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Gaz

He's not your guy, buddy

Advertisement