Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst disease you can have?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Yeah I know of it. Its very unlike all the other ones mentioned on here, with motor neuron and locked in...anyone can suffer from them, but Huntington's is quiet rare in comparison

No less horrible though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

steddyeddy wrote: »
    No less horrible though.

Was never implying that mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Was never implying that mate

Sorry man I apologise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

A monumentally massive heart attack is the way i want to go. Something very quick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

i had cellulitis a while ago. its horrible and i wouldnt wish it on anyone, its not the worst but its bad. (it has nothing to do with cellulite btw)
    Just recovered from it recently too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

cena wrote: »
    I would go with alzheimer's and dementia.
    Parkinsons is horrible.
    KKkitty wrote: »
    Motor neuron disease.
    Locked in syndrome?
    There is a case before the high court over here of a guy looking to get permission for a doctor to do an assisted suicide on him.
    I don't know how anybody could live like that, just sitting there only able to move your eyes. :(

:( This is depressing, so many awful illnesses.

policarp wrote: »
    Mad Cow Disease.
    The wife gets it once a month every month.
    Shocking bad disease that. . .

I suffer from this, it's a dreadful affliction.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Sorry man I apologise.

No need mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

woodoo wrote: »
    A monumentally massive heart attack is the way i want to go. Something very quick.
    Usain Bolt shooting you. That'd be quick. Fcuk yeah, that's the way I want to go!

Usain Bolt shooting you. That'd be quick. Fcuk yeah, that's the way I want to go!

Pretty certain it would make the news too...you'd be famous

• Advertisement

Variant CJD is one that would strike terror in me.

Variant CJD is one that would strike terror in me.
    Meat is full of it. I hear a symptom of it is staying up late at night on the internet.

Meat is full of it. I hear a symptom of it is staying up late at night on the internet.

I thought i had it once back in 1999. I was smoking alot of weed back then though. I became a hypochondriac and i'm still the same today. Even though i don't smoke anymore.

I thought i had it once back in 1999. I was smoking alot of weed back then though. I became a hypochondriac and i'm still the same today. Even though i don't smoke anymore.
    Oh yeah, if you ate bad meat in the nineties, it's probably only going to manifest itself now. You're definitely fecked.

Oh yeah, if you ate bad meat in the nineties, it's probably only going to manifest itself now. You're definitely fecked.

No i don't still think i have v cjd now. I mean i'm still as bad a hypochondriac today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Is that the dose that lies dormant for like 20 years?

• Advertisement

Sauve wrote: »
    Is that the dose that lies dormant for like 20 years?

Thats what they feared at the time they thought there would an epidemic years later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Fear of Sex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Muscle atrophy.

Imagine your muscles wasting away until you can hardly swallow and then you more or less suffocate to death from your lungs/windpipe collapsing.
    Worst thing of all it takes months for you to die and you're getting worse and worse with nothing to help you.
    People that sit that one through and grit their teeth to the very end have some strength. I'd probably OD and be done with it if it got so bad that I couldn't take care of myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Thats what they feared at the time they thought there would an epidemic years later.

I think they were right back then. I'm seeing a lot of odd behaviour around the place that would explain those theories that have so obviously been swept under the carpet.

1ZRed wrote: »
    Muscle atrophy.

Imagine your muscles wasting away until you can hardly swallow and then you more or less suffocate to death from your lungs/windpipe collapsing.
    Worst thing of all it takes months for you to die and you're getting worse and worse with nothing to help you.
    People that sit that one through and grit their teeth to the very end have some strength. I'd probably OD and be done with it if it got so bad that I couldn't take care of myself.

There should come a time when the doctors start loading you up with drugs to finish you off once your quality of life is that low and you are suffering. Its unfair to leave people months at the end like that.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Necrotizing fasciitis /thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Cancer of the prick.

Cancer of the gee.

Wattle wrote: »
    Cancer of the gee.

^
    Cancer of the sense of humour. Sorry it's terminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

:(

Deeply unsettling. My uncle has Motor Neurone, the pain he, his wife and my cousins must be going through, I think about it every night. My mum has to watch her brother live through it, its so sad. Why does it have to be like this? There is only one good thing about diseases such as this, your able to say your goodbyes, in contrast to a heart attack which is just so sudden and empty.

EdenHazard wrote: »
    :(

Deeply unsettling. My uncle has Motor Neurone, the pain he, his wife and my cousins must be going through, I think about it every night. My mum has to watch her brother live through it, its so sad. Why does it have to be like this? There is only one good thing about diseases such as this, your able to say your goodbyes, in contrast to a heart attack which is just so sudden and empty.

Yeah I get that point of it and that is the brighter side of it, but I couldn't deal with my condition deteriorating and me becoming less and less capable and more and more helpless with death creeping up on me. I think the strain that would put on someone is huge.
    I'd take the heart attack I think.

1ZRed wrote: »
    ^
    Cancer of the sense of humour. Sorry it's terminal.

And last but not least: Cancer of the asshole.

Don't worry I'm on chemo for that at the minute bud. The only side effect is that it's got me allergic to BS though. For my sake you should stay clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

As a nurse, I've seen nearly all of these diseases.

Worst in my opinion? MS, stroke and quadriplegia.

Each severly debilitating with no hope of improving and ,in most cases, the mind is perfect.

You are a serious bollox

• Advertisement

Rasheed wrote: »
    You are a serious bollox

Why? I'm just listing horrible diseases like everyone else in this thread :confused:

Well actually I'm sorry that was a bit harsh in fairness, but people here have seen family members suffering horrendously with the worst imaginable diseases known to man.

I've tried to comfort people that are in the blackest hole of depression because they know they are dying and can't do anything about it so please stop the messing, it's really not that funny and God forbid, any of your family get sick, you'll realise it. So sorry again for calling you a bollox, point made now, hope you understand!

Maybe I should have read the whole thread but I wasn't having a go at anybody who has a serious condition. I have a juvenile sense of humor sometimes that's all. No offence intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

I forget the name of it but I reckon that disease of the skin where you've no protective layer, just the deeper layers and even touching your surroundings i.e. your clothing can tear and rip your skin to shreds would be horrific.

Also severe arthritis is horrible. My aunt has two different types and she is crippled. She is in constant pain.

Any kind of paralysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    I forget the name of it but I reckon that disease of the skin where you've no protective layer, just the deeper layers and even touching your surroundings i.e. your clothing can tear and rip your skin to shreds would be horrific.
    EB, or Epidermolysis Bullosa I think is the condition you are referring to.

Channel 4 did a documentary about a guy suffering from it. "The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off". Definitely worth watching - funny/sad/uplifting/tragic all rolled into one.

The one that stops your muscles moving... My Dutch housemate just went back to Holland after her father visited here and told her he had it. In the space of his 2 weeks here, his talking went from normal to pretty bad.

Horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Begrudgery !!

KKkitty wrote: »
    Motor neuron disease.

My poor beautiful aunt died from this last year.

Mostly you end up either starving to death or suffocating :(
    Absolutely horrendous. I work in a healthcare setting (though I'm not clinical), and most of the medical staff agree that it's probably the worst disease :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Elephantiasis has to be the worst disease I have personally seen. I'm still a bit traumatised by the memory of a young Tamil woman, 18 or so, who was sitting on a pavement in Madras (now Chennai) feeding sawdust to her small baby around 30 years ago. She had one of the most beautiful faces I have ever seen, and then I noticed her feet and legs --- :eek::eek::eek:

Another case I saw in Kolkata was a man with a scrotum the size of a Lidl bag.

Warning: Do not click on these links, especially the first one, if you are at all squeamish:

http://www.sierraexpressmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Elephantiasis-of-the-scrotum.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephantiasis

As an aside, I suppose it is having seen sights like these in so many parts of the world that make me so impatient with those in Ireland who whine and moan about their misfortune, real or imagined, and begrudge any help we give to unfortunate people like the poorest in other parts of the world.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

marriage!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Mr. White

I saw a documentary a while back regarding cluster headaches. Not sure if this would fall under the disease category.

After seeing that doc though I would rather have aids, siphilis & genital worts before I would want a cluster headache.

Link from Wiki on Cluster Headaches :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_headache

Quick Quote on Pain Scale from Wiki :

I've underlined & bolded the important bits below

Pain

The pain of cluster headaches is remarkably greater than in other headache conditions, including severe migraines; experts have suggested that it may be the most painful condition known to medical science. Female patients have reported it as being more severe than childbirth.[5] Dr. Peter Goadsby, Professor of Clinical Neurology at University College London (now University of California, San Francisco), a leading researcher on the condition has commented:

The Doc I watched on this had people in wheelchairs sucking on oxegen tanks / masks. Patches of hair only on the head as they were tearing out there own hair to relieve their brain momentarily

Vid on uTube :

If you've never heard of this before look it up as it's interesting, not many people are aware of it

Big Quote for wiki for me though was - experts have suggested that it may be the most painful condition known to medical science.

Have I won the thread ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I would hate to go blind or get some disease that would make me go blind,My grandmother went blind in her forties,hope its not genetic even though I am well past 40 now ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Boneitis
    A horrible way to go :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

OMG!! Have just watched part of Mr W's Cluster Headache. No one should have to suffer pain like that. I only got as far as 3minutes 12secs and the stress of watching it gave me... a headache.

Shouldn't those people be given 'knock-out' drops or something? It's barbaric to think of anyone going through that....

:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 real_irishken

cancer of the gee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Men

You're so Samantha.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Isis20

Pregnancy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Motor Neuron Disease. Its basically a living death where a perfect mind is trapped in a crippled body. An illness where death is really a blessing

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement