Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst disease you can have?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

SWINE FLU!! Werent we all supposed to die from that or something ? well the media made it appear that way..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Ignorance. Horrible illness of the mind that afflicts a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Huntingtons disease. If your parents have it theres a 50/50 chance that you will have it. Its basically a death sentence.

There's a history of Huntingtons , Alzheimers and vascular dementia in my family.
    All three are particularly nasty and I've experienced close family suffer from them.

If one parent has Huntingtons , you have a 50 / 50 chance of getting it, it manifests normally around the age of 40.Some in my family have had counselling.

I'm cool with them and live and enjoy life at the moment, regular check ups etc

Mrs Mattjack regularly loses her reason with me for various daft behaviour over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I think that Motor Neuron disease sounds pretty horrible, and locked-in syndrome, anything involving paralysis, I wouldn't want any of those. Then again, I have Cystic Fibrosis so I'll say that's the worst one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

M.S its a horrible condition to have, also Crones disease is horrible, both of them run in my OH family :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Yeah like Medusa22 I want to nominate what I have which is Crohn's... doubt it's the worst ever, as I said earlier I think the skin disorder is possibly the worst. But kudos to lil'bug for including it. It is fairly horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

The common cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Death.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

Creating a thread like this one....... Seriously sad disease

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭peewee_44

I would say its Cancer and dementia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

Narcolepsy would be awful, I think. So sad about those children who developed it from the swine flu vaccine :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

I once knew a guy who was probably one of the fittest people I have ever come across. He ran marathons and liked to look after himself, always brought a packed lunch into work with salads, pastas and the like. Never seen him smoke or drink and often came across him doing pull-ups if he had a spare moment in work.

Unfortunately, he was diagnosed with Motor Neuron Disease and in the space of a few months his voice was gone and he was a shell of the person he once was.

I like to look after myself in the same was this guy did. I don't drink or smoke, eat any **** food and I'm starting to train for my third marathon. I haven't had so much as a cold in 2+ years.

But it always makes me think how anybody is vulnerable to diseases and such... It's a very strange world we live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_familial_insomnia

I had insomia bad for i use to go days and days without sleep, imagine going months and months without sleep and then dying from lack of sleep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Yeah like Medusa22 I want to nominate what I have which is Crohn's... doubt it's the worst ever, as I said earlier I think the skin disorder is possibly the worst. But kudos to lil'bug for including it. It is fairly horrendous.
    At least with crohns you can have surgery to improve your quality of life. Its not a nice thing to have though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    EB, or Epidermolysis Bullosa I think is the condition you are referring to.

Channel 4 did a documentary about a guy suffering from it. "The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off". Definitely worth watching - funny/sad/uplifting/tragic all rolled into one.

Jonny Kennedy. Amazing guy.

Won't let me post the link here, but search "The boy whose skin fell off" on YouTube. Only documentary that has ever made me cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Duiske wrote: »
    Motor Neurone Disease ?

Locked in Syndrome it's called

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Freind of mine has muscular dstrophy.So sad and terible disease

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

So many awful illnesses out there. I've heard that Lung Cancer is particularly brutal towards the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

MND. My uncle died of it earlier this year, six months after being diagnosed. It strips you of absolutely everything. It's a horrific disease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Kuru , 100% fatal

Back in 1976 Blumberg and Gajdusek got Noble prizes for showing that a really nasty disease was transmitted by cannibalism, well actually that the body had few defences against it.

A simple feedback loop caused by recycling brains.

It's mad cow disease for humans, 100% fatal and you need to break a few social taboos to catch it.

And if anyone in the food industry had paid attention then mad cow disease and CJD would not have happened.

vCJD can happen idiopathically though, not just from eating infected meat, so we'd still probably see cases here even if the whole BSE scare hadn't happened.
    Necrotizing fasciitis /thread

I see you that and raise you Fournier's Gangrene "Fournier gangrene is a necrotizing infection that involves the soft tissues of the male genitalia."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lazyitis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

ryanf1 wrote: »
    At least with crohns you can have surgery to improve your quality of life. Its not a nice thing to have though

Well... it isn't quite that easy. Surgery can also worsen Crohn's and then you can end up with other serious complications from the surgery itself, as well as the horrendous reality of living with a colostomy. These days surgery isn't recommended unless it's an absolute last resort and even then I would be very very very slow to agree to have it, unless I was literally dying. :eek:

Anyway, I digress!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I have MS, no fun. Again, wouldn't wish it on anyone, every muscle in your body, down to your scalp muscles constantly sore.Burning sensations in the limbs,spacticity,and to look forward to: possible incontinence of bowel /bladder blindness and wheel chair full time.

The treatment I am on has 1,000 to 1 chance of killing me ,yes ,I did say 1,000 to 1. This lovely side effect is a disease called PML,usually fatal and no known treatment.

http://www.tysabri.com/tysabri-side-effects.xml

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Piste wrote: »
    vCJD can happen idiopathically though, not just from eating infected meat, so we'd still probably see cases here even if the whole BSE scare hadn't happened.
    My point was that Kuru showed an new infectious agent and that creating a feedback loop is not a good thing.

How many cases would we have had if cattle hadn't been fed with cattle remains ? Or even if those remains had been treated sufficiently to remove all traces of prions ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Cancer has to be one of the worst I think. It reduced my father to a shell of a man in about 2 months.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Syphillis herpes or HIV..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I've changed my mind about HIV, I used to think it was an absolute death sentence, but getting HIV at say age 30 and starting on anti-retroviral therapy, you can live to a perfectly normal age and never develop AIDS. It's just living with the stigma and the difficulty of pursuing a sexual relationship that's the biggest problem, as opposed to the actual impact on your health.

That being said, this only really holds true for people in developed countries who can afford the treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

mattjack wrote: »
    There's a history of Huntingtons , Alzheimers and vascular dementia in my family.
    All three are particularly nasty and I've experienced close family suffer from them.

If one parent has Huntingtons , you have a 50 / 50 chance of getting it, it manifests normally around the age of 40.Some in my family have had counselling.

I'm cool with them and live and enjoy life at the moment, regular check ups etc

Mrs Mattjack regularly loses her reason with me for various daft behaviour over the years.

I think this has to be one of the worst, if you have it and you are a parent then you also suffer the pain of knowing that you could have passed this on to your children, its a double blow. As for the 50/50 chance of getting it thats true each at risk individual has a 50% chance of getting it, but its not as simple as saying that if there are 4 children in a family only 2 will get it, its possible that a whole family will be wiped by this terrible disease.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Biggins wrote: »
    Don't know the official name for it but the one that takes away your ability to speak and move completely.
    You would be a mind trapped in a endless body cell, unable to communicate.
    You could be screaming internally and no one would ever hear you.
    Horrendous.

I think its called locked in syndrome. Yes I can't think of anything worse than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Piste wrote: »
    That being said, this only really holds true for people in developed countries who can afford the treatment.
    Things are improving relatively rapidly there though.

I'd have to agree with luckyfrank and say Fatal Familial Insomnia myself, motor-neuron is also pretty shíte. Pretty much any disease that is slow, progressive and you're fully aware of the horrors that await you is a really bad disease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Anything flesh eating would be horrible.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Heart disease 100% fatal at least I know what will see me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Daisy M wrote: »
    I think this has to be one of the worst, if you have it and you are a parent then you also suffer the pain of knowing that you could have passed this on to your children, its a double blow. As for the 50/50 chance of getting it thats true each at risk individual has a 50% chance of getting it, but its not as simple as saying that if there are 4 children in a family only 2 will get it, its possible that a whole family will be wiped by this terrible disease.:(

With regard to Huntingtons , I,ve cousins who were born before it was diagnosed in their parent.Ultimately they probally will never have children of their own.
    Some members of my family have had counselling.

On a lighter note , you should see us and our spouses/partners on a pss up.

MJ :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Panphobia:

A lot of people have one form of fear (phobia) to something. People with panphobia have fears of everything. It's the mother of all fears. They have a persistent fear something very bad will happen and to be caused by anything or anyone around them.

Androgen insensitivity syndrome:

If you think you may have some difficulty determining the gender of a person, wait until you hear about this.
    People affected with this syndrome are girls who are really beautiful, too feminine-looking, but once they reach puberty they do not have periods.

Externally they are women, they have breasts, a soft voice and no body hair. However they have XY gene, that's the male gene! So genetically they are males but their appearance is that of a female. What happens is that while they were developing in the uterus their body was not responsive to testosterone, and they remained that way. so their testicles shrunk and no penis developed because testosterone is necessary their development. They have no female genital tract (because they are males). Obviously they cannot have children (again, because they are males). This can cause some serious psychological issues!

Ondine's Curse:

These patients have to voluntarily breathe, and if they forget to they will die. Again, they have to remember to breathe in order to survive. A lot of infants who have the disease just die when they fall asleep.

200 people in the world are currently alive with it, and many of them are adults. They breathe using a breathing machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Most awful diseases have been covered here, but losing my sight would be up there.

I was walking along one day really p*ssed off about something really trivial. I saw a man with a walking stick walking along the street while I was waiting to cross the lights. I just closed my eyes for a few second and took in all the sounds around me - the beeping horns, people screaming out to friends, etc... it was quite terrifying.

Blind people are incredibly brave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

mattjack wrote: »
    With regard to Huntingtons , I,ve cousins who were born before it was diagnosed in their parent.Ultimately they probally will never have children of their own.
    Some members of my family have had counselling.

On a lighter note , you should see us and our spouses/partners on a pss up.

MJ :)

My husbands mother was not diagnoised until her early 60s, this was after all her children had gone on to have children us inculded. My husbands sister was diagnoised before her mother. Its amazing because my mother in laws siblings all dies really young from complications arising from this illness but she was lucky enough to have a much later onset.

Somehow we found a way of compartmentalising the fear and enjoy great pi**ups too.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement