Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

skype versus real world!

• 22-06-2012 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

So..can you form a proper relationship with someone you have met online and have only skyped with?
    I am going to meet them but is it doomed from the start?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yeah, the internet is for losers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭whatsup?

Then you are a loser if you are on here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I went out with a girl for about 8 months from Skyping.

On where? I'm on my sofa!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Nah! you must get bladdered drunk, talk sh1te and try dropping the hand. Now thats how "real men" do it.

• Advertisement

a loser on a sofa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I just dont see way anyone would bother, i'd rather be alone than start a relationship over skype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

whatsup? wrote: »
    then ur a loser if ur on here..

what that in english?

Senna wrote: »
    I just dont see way anyone would bother, i'd rather be alone than start a relationship over skype.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

so..can u form a proper relationship with someone uv met online and have only skyped with?..im guna meet them but is it doomed from the start?

If this means "I'm going to meet them,"* then what does it matter how the relationship began if you're going to meet them in real life?

*I don't mean to be a Spelling Nazi: I'm honestly not completely sure what it's supposed to mean.

• Advertisement

If this means "I'm going to meet them,"* then what does it matter how the relationship began if you're going to meet them in real life?

*I don't mean to be a Spelling Nazi: I'm honestly not completely sure what it's supposed to mean.

yea i'm going to meet em so i suppose you're right...i'm just worrying about nothing I think!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

yea i'm going to meet em so i suppose you're right...i'm just worrying about nothing I think!!

I met my ex online, and we went out for three years. It was never an issue. I'd recommend not thinking about it at all. Just try to enjoy yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

so..can u form a proper relationship with someone uv met online and have only skyped with?..im guna meet them but is it doomed from the start?

Good luck trying to form a relationship thru Skype in Ethiopia.
    Its banned! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I started talking to my girlfriend through a Facebook group, and then moved on to skype after a little bit.

We do meet up once a month for a week or so now as we both live in different countries, but with Skype we can talk everyday and it's working out very well, and we do plan on moving in together in the coming months.

I always say give it a shot OP, it can be a bit lonely at times, but if there is a good spark between you face to face then hopefully it will all work out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you use skype in Ethiopia you will have up to 15 years to develop a relationship, with your cell mates :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What is it with people and being terrified of online dating?
    Sure beats trying to score in nightclubs week after week.

I think it be a great way to meet a partner, you get to chat for ages and suss each other out before you meet IRL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Just make sure you use protection when skyping with someone new and that you don't catch a nasty virus.

Make sure you have good virus protection and that you have no open ports that someone could enter behind your back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Let us know how you get on, I'm meeting a 22 year old woman from Thailand in 2 weeks, she's gorgeous, although she won't have cam sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Its always been my understanding that you cannot form a proper relationship with someone until you meet in real life.

Skype is one thing, and its very useful for breaking the ice , but physically meeting him/her is another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

At least you've Skyped her so you know what she really looks like and you're not working off a photograph of a gorgeous looking girl who turns out to be a 58 year old farmer called Benny from Thurles.

:( True Story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Don't even consider it to be an issue, its more common these days than people think.

According to this link 1 in 5 relationships start out online;

http://ilookbothways.com/2010/06/03/1-in-5-new-relationships-begin-on-an-online-dating-site/

I think it makes no difference and if anything it puts less pressure on the early stages of meeting someone since you are both comfortable in your own environment when chatting to each other. I presume you'd get to know each other quite well and then once you meet up there won't be as many nerves etc.

Saying that I've never started a relationship online or through a dating site but my friend has recently joined one for the younger age group, her being 25 and she's enjoying it she met someone she really gets on with and it all started from an online dating site.

So I would just carry on as you have been and don't give it a second thought! Anyone who sniggers at online relationships is probably just a bit misinformed and may not have the courage to look into it

thanks for the responses!! hopefully it all works out

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Skype is great because it is free

Instead of ringing friends abroad We can Skype each other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

In my day we dial

21/25

Advertisement