Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dodgy job offer

• 22-06-2012 1:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Put myself on job site and got some bloke emailing me sayin he was a attorney and needed someone to fill in for his receptionist while she was on maternity leave for 6 months and basic wage was 400 a week
    Was just gonna be scheduling meetings and sorting out payments to companies
    Anyway he said that he would send me a cheque first to be lodged into account for 2 weeks payment and bonus and for travel fee
    Week later get a cheque from a construction company for 3grand
    Noticed how dodgy it seemed brought to the Garda and told them they said its a huge scam and explained how it works
    Basically if I lodge it in take out money and then the fella will say he sent too much and will ask for money to be sent back to him like 500 quid let's say then my cheque will bounce a few days later and il owe money out to bank
    Thank god I copped it but just wondering has anyone fallin for something like this as the Garda said if ten people a week fall for it that bloke is Making easy money every week

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Only a complete and absolute idiot would fall for something so retarded as this!

Luckily for these scam artists, people are, in general, brain-dead f*ck-wits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Sounds legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

you took a payment for work you had not yet done, who was scamming who I wonder?
    But seriously nice job catching him out, not everyone is so lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Unfortunately some people do fall for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

you took a payment for work you had not yet done, who was scamming who I wonder?
    But seriously nice job catching him out, not everyone is so lucky.

Luck has nothing to do with it when people get caught out by things like this in fairness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

Thank god I copped it but just wondering has anyone fallin for something like this as the Garda said if ten people a week fall for it that bloke is Making easy money every week

So even though he tried to do this to you, the guards aren't going to do anything about it? And just let him try it again on many other people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Heard of this before, where cheque was for payment of an advertised car, to be collected at a later date - same deal, too much sent, followed by a request for the excess to be returned. Cheque bounces many days later.
    At least the car scam is more believable, cant see the job one working too often.
    Glad you didnt fall for it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

So even though he tried to do this to you, the guards aren't going to do anything about it? And just let him try it again on many other people?
    The Garda said a bloke like this would have numerous amounts of emails and can be very hard to catch but they prob don't even bother trying but I don't know if they have guards out there trying to catch them or not

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

The only job i'll take is a blowjob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

What are the gardai going to do if the scammer is more than likely operating out of Nigeria?

• Advertisement
Advertisement