Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving Holiday: All around Europe

• 22-06-2012 2:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

The wife and I are coming over from the US next summer to do a driving holiday around Europe.

The very rough plan so far is to fly into Ireland, ferry to France, down the Atlantic coast to Spain, possibly dip into Portugal, spend a bit of time down the south of Spain and up the Mediterranean coast, across into Italy and down the boot...

After that we are undecided about using public transport in northern Europe (Austria, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway) vs the car when it comes to cost.

I've had a read of the Belfast to Porto and Dublin to Madrid posts that have been on here over the last couple of years and they were great reads and very informative.

It'll cost a fortune but it's a once in a lifetime trip before we settle down and the chizzlers come along.

So anyway, if people have advice or experience of the following I'd be very grateful:

Driving holidays in Italy
    Public transport vs Driving in northern Europe based on cost
    Type of second hand car to buy in Ireland for reliability, fuel efficiency, carrying a bit of a load (I know feck all about cars!)
    Insurance
    Directions, lack of local language etc..
    Six weeks, is that enough?
    What I should have in the car for repairs, spare parts, oil etc..

Thanks so much in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

if 90% of your driving is in Europe you prob dont want to buy a car in ireland (RHD V LHD)

I am not sure how you would insure it anyway, only Irish residents can insure cars in Ireland afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

if 90% of your driving is in Europe you prob dont want to buy a car in ireland (RHD V LHD)

Buying a car? I thought they would be renting one? In terms of rail travel in northern Europe - I always believed that once two people get involved, the cost is substantially cheaper with a car. Take the train from Düsseldorf to Hamburg for example - that costs about €86 per person one way. With a car, you can do that trip return for about €75-€85 so makes sense if its you and your wife. You're much more flexible with a car as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I am not sure how you would insure it anyway, only Irish residents can insure cars in Ireland afaik

As for point one, good point, if you are buying here and are driving in Europe most of the time, buy a left hand drive, plenty of Polish cars around the place, which are LHD with the added bonus of being mostly better cared for and better equipped.

As for the second point, just stick down a friends address as residence, problem solved.

One thing though:
    If you are driving to Europe from here and you are doing it before September, you should check out the ferry prices.
    Ireland to France before September is nearly a thousand Euro, while after the 2nd of September, it comes down to €99.

And if you want to see all of Europe, I'd recommend the car anytime. Trains are nice, but it makes it more difficult to get to all those nice, out of the way places that you usually find on holidays when completely lost.
    I found some of the nicest places I've ever been to whilst driving around not knowing where I was. It's part of the holiday experience, my number one rule on holiday is: No Sat Nav!
    Why not rent a car? Insurance problem will be sorted and if you ask nicely, maybe they can even supply you with a LHD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

http://www.eurail.com/eurail-passes

EU Rail pass sounds perfect for you (Available to non European Residents only)

With regard to seeing the 'out of the way places' all the big rental companies have rental pickup/drop offs in the main stations.

I usually pay 60 euros for a weekend in Germany using:
    www.autoeurope.com

Driving a car across europe can be a bit of a nightmare if you want to stop off in Cities etc. Parking and so on, plus you have to worry about break downs which could put a bit of a downer on the whole thing.

Train for long distance is great, you sit back, relax, enjoy your holiday and then have the flexibility of a car when you need it :)

Most of the lads I work with, including me usually take the option of an ICE Train if it's longer than 500km and then pickup a small rental at the destination, thats if you book in advance of course since the ICE goes up in the price the closer to the date you get :)

Plus if you bought a car as a US Resident I don't know how you'd sort out your insurance.

in re reading dunno why i thought they were buying (that's Top Gear giving me ideas, like when they bought to tour USA)

As regards renting to take in europe, I guess you can just pay extra to take it out of country from ireland but as mentioned already if you want one for whole trip better get in mainland Europe than Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

Type of second hand car to buy in Ireland for reliability, fuel efficiency, carrying a bit of a load (I know feck all about cars!)
    in re reading dunno why i thought they were buying (that's Top Gear giving me ideas, like when they bought to tour USA)
    They are though aren't they??? :confused:

I give up..i read it right first time and wrong second time.....Anyway point i will leave with is better to buy an LHD in Europe if that's where most of driving gonna be..back to sleep now for me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

The wife and I are coming over from the US next summer to do a driving holiday around Europe.

The very rough plan so far is to fly into Ireland, ferry to France, down the Atlantic coast to Spain, possibly dip into Portugal, spend a bit of time down the south of Spain and up the Mediterranean coast, across into Italy and down the boot...

After that we are undecided about using public transport in northern Europe (Austria, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway) vs the car when it comes to cost.

I've had a read of the Belfast to Porto and Dublin to Madrid posts that have been on here over the last couple of years and they were great reads and very informative.

It'll cost a fortune but it's a once in a lifetime trip before we settle down and the chizzlers come along.

So anyway, if people have advice or experience of the following I'd be very grateful:

Driving holidays in Italy
    Public transport vs Driving in northern Europe based on cost
    Insurance
    Directions, lack of local language etc..
    Six weeks, is that enough?
    What I should have in the car for repairs, spare parts, oil etc..

Thanks so much in advance!

...well as some wiseacre once said.......if I was going there, I wouldn't be starting from here............

Tbh, for 6 weeks, it might - might - be better to just rent. Insured, breakdown etc, all covered, no hassle. Finding a co that would let you tour all of Europe though.......mmm.....

Either way, I'd be doing the buying/renting on the Continent, unless you find a cheap LHD car here. How about this ? http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3368579 Taxed, tested, ready to go. But you'll have to sort insurance, and that might kill it.......

I'd say it would be easier to buy and insure on the continent, but again, you'll have probably passed the price of renting one, for such a short period.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Bigus

Personally i'd take this option and stick two Hybrid bicycles in the back and a cheap tent for when you get stuck.

I go the whole hog too and do a full circle flying back out of Ireland.

What are yourself and the missus interested in so we can get more suggestions on where to visit.

The other alternative is go to greece buy a car there for nothing with dollars and work your way back to Ireland For christmas ?

Good Suggestion from Galwaytt if you got this for 1000

Full-11717972.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Thanks for all the replies!

The whole trip is still in the early stages of planning and really have to look at the whole costs of buying a car and driving it vs public transport and renting cars in different places.

As a few posters pointed out having a car all the time gives great flexibility.

Whomitconcerns, never even though about LHD v RHD, sound!

Bigus, the lads who did the Belfast to Porto drive had a Volvo too and that could be a good option, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Thanks for all the replies!

The whole trip is still in the early stages of planning and really have to look at the whole costs of buying a car and driving it vs public transport and renting cars in different places.

As a few posters pointed out having a car all the time gives great flexibility.

Whomitconcerns, never even though about LHD v RHD, sound!

Bigus, the lads who did the Belfast to Porto drive had a Volvo too and that could be a good option, thanks.

Don't forget that with public transport you're stuck on their routes and their timetables..........

Of course, what you should really do is do it on a motorbike. No LHD/RHD issues there !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I wouldn't buy a Irish car as they are more expensive, But a UK car and you can buy car insurance over there for short periods like 28 days.

I know of people who buy campers and head off maybe that would be better? you could pick up a cheap one and you wouldn't have to pay for hotels then. Ive also done the inter rail ticket and its good but tbh having a car is sooo much freedom. If you just want to visit a country's capital its good but if you want to see other parts get a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

have you considered the total milage involved, 6 weeks sound short to me a trip as described is massive, i would think it would need 3 months at least, unless you want to drive constantly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

galwaytt wrote: »
    Don't forget that with public transport you're stuck on their routes and their timetables..........

Of course, what you should really do is do it on a motorbike. No LHD/RHD issues there !

The rail network on the continent is very extensive and frequent, not like Ireland at all.

http://www.eurail.com/sites/all/files/eurail.com/downloads/2012/eurail-railwaymap-2012.pdf

Generally the rule is the further you Travel the more beneficial the train is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Here's a check-list a bunch of us put together for a trip a few ears ago. Feel free to use / amend as required.

**Insurance certificate (remember to inform your insurance if req'd)
    **Passport
    **Log book (V5c) for car if purchased in UK/IRL
    **Driving Licence
    ** Travel insurance (people)
    **Euro Breakdown cover (car)

** Would also recommend taking photocopies of these items

Ferry tickets
    Headlight convertors (if car purchased in UK/IRL)
    GB / IRL sticker (EU number plates don’t count in Switzerland)
    spare spectacles (if required)
    First aid Kit
    Fluorescent Jackets for all occupants
    Spare bulb kit
    Warning Triangles
    Fire extinguisher (compulsory in Germany / France but advised everywhere)
    Top-up containers of Oil / Coolant / Screen-wash & brake-fluid
    Sponge / squeegee / scraper
    Windscreen washer fluid/ glass cleaner and cloths
    currency, GBP, Euro, CHF, etc
    remove any radar equipment or speed-camera warning databases from sat navs
    sat nav
    Paper Route instructions
    Large-scale maps
    Euro mains-plug converters
    Chargers for electrical equipment (phones/cameras/lap-top/sat-nav etc)
    Spare batteries for everything
    Medications & copy prescriptions
    List of emergency numbers for countries travelled through (Embassies, etc.): Eu international emergency no. 112 (it is NOT 911) Program phones with it
    Breathalyser kit for France

Also consider: Spare car keys or key / immobilizer number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mathepac wrote: »
    Here's a check-list a bunch of us put together for a trip a few ears ago. Feel free to use / amend as required.

**Insurance certificate (remember to inform your insurance if req'd)
    **Passport
    **Log book (V5c) for car if purchased in UK/IRL
    **Driving Licence
    ** Travel insurance (people)
    **Euro Breakdown cover (car)

** Would also recommend taking photocopies of these items as well

Ferry tickets
    Headlight convertors (if car purchased in UK/IRL)
    GB / IRL sticker (EU number plates don’t count in Switzerland)
    spare spectacles (if required)
    First aid Kit
    Fluorescent Jackets for all occupants
    Spare bulb kit
    Warning Triangles
    Fire extinguisher (compulsory in Germany / France but advised everywhere)
    Top-up containers of Oil / Coolant / Screen-wash & brake-fluid
    Sponge / squeegee / scraper
    Windscreen washer fluid/ glass cleaner and cloths
    currency, GBP, Euro, CHF, etc
    remove any radar equipment or speed-camera warning databases from sat navs
    sat nav
    Paper Route instructions
    Large-scale maps
    Euro mains-plug converters
    Chargers for electrical equipment (phones/cameras/lap-top/sat-nav etc)
    Spare batteries for everything
    Medications & copy prescriptions
    List of emergency numbers for countries travelled through (Embassies, etc.): Eu international emergency no. 112 (it is NOT 911) Program phones with it

Also consider: Spare car keys or key / immobilizer number
    And a breathalyser kit for France.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

If you can't edit my post, I will and add stuff others spot that I have forgotten.

OP, strong recommendation for a LHD auto-box yoke (if that's what you're used to) from me as well. For some reason Spain sticks in my mind as having "looser" insurance requirements than the rest of Europe (apart from Poland which due to distance might be off you initial itinerary) so car-shopping there might be an idea.

Advertisement