Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COMPUTER SCIENCE COURSES POINTS

Options
  • 22-06-2012 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Decided i'll make this thread. It will become very topical in the near future.
    Im hoping to do CS in UCD which is 410 atm with a 455 pts average and i think a 60 student intake. That is a jump of 40pts from last year. I feel that with the bonus points for H maths and the 44percent rise in first preferences in march, that the course should reach 480-490pts.

Any views on this matter? Sure lets discuss about other colleges too! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭shane7218

I think all computer science courses are going to dramatically rise and im really worried i wont get enough points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 thedice

yes, same here. I feel people are just putting it down because there is jobs to be got with it. Therefore the people who really want to do are out shun by the money seekers who will end up dropping out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

thedice wrote: »
    yes, same here. I feel people are just putting it down because there is jobs to be got with it. Therefore the people who really want to do are out shun by the money seekers who will end up dropping out. :(

i was one of those people, was 1-4 on my CAO until middle of may. when i actually researched it i found out how much id actually hate it.

i think the points will go up by a lot, it will be near 500 for both UCD and TCD

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Want to feckin kill those people who just put it down for the laugh without research. Muppets

it just makes no sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

if a person gets 500 points to do computer science whether they have an interest or not in computers they have a right to do whatever course they want. They may not have a huge interest in computers now, but these people are bright enough to learn about computers just like they had to learn for the Leaving Cert.

Stop moaning about high-achieving students wanting to do computer science.They are smart,they know where the jobs will be for them in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Bear in mind the level 6/7 entry route...you can then climb up and do a Level 8 in 4 years if you're good enough (ask the course-provider, probably an IT, first...) and you'll be where you would've been even if you got straight into the level 8 course anyway. Except getting in will depend on how good you are at computer science, and not on how well you can learn Shakespeare quotes...

yes you make a very good point, but anyone who will get 500+ points, i would reckon, have done their research as they most be putting in a huge effort, therefore it is unlikely that these such people should make a blind choice. It is the people who enjoy maths and computers but might not be the brightest at irish or english who will suffer because of the average all round student, who are going to be making this blind choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

thedice wrote: »
    yes you make a very good point, but anyone who will get 500+ points, i would reckon, have done their research as they most be putting in a huge effort, therefore it is unlikely that these such people should make a blind choice. It is the people who enjoy maths and computers but might not be the brightest at irish or english who will suffer because of the average all round student, who are going to be making this blind choice.

I'm hoping to do computer and electronic engineering in NUIG. Interestingly enough, numbers for engineering courses across the country have dropped by half a percent this year.

Points were around 400 last year. I'm expecting them to rise by 25 but who knows, they could shoot up all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 markbb1994

i put down ucd cs first but if its gonna go up in points i dont think i got enough points for it :/....i have dcu down 2nd though and i reckon i should have the points for that......will i be offered dcu in the 1st round then or?? :/ ( dont understand points system well )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I'm expecting a big rise for UCD, 470 or higher.

markbb1994 wrote: »
    i put down ucd cs first but if its gonna go up in points i dont think i got enough points for it :/....i have dcu down 2nd though and i reckon i should have the points for that......will i be offered dcu in the 1st round then or?? :/ ( dont understand points system well )

Yes, you will be offered the first course that you are qualified for.

470 at least

• Registered Users Posts: 15 StephenCahill

Anyone apply for CS in UCC? What do people expect the points to be? I'm getting scared now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 markbb1994

Anyone apply for CS in UCC? What do people expect the points to be? I'm getting scared now.
    I applied for that too.....scared isnt the word for it ha....one day!....best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bacon and Cabbage

Any one care to offer a guess for computer science in ucd points?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dcbeast

markbb1994 wrote: »
    I applied for that too.....scared isnt the word for it ha....one day!....best of luck

Same here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

I think the points will be around 360-380.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 themagichobo

Yeah, I'm hoping to do that too. I'd say it'll probably jump to about 360 or maybe a bit higher. As long as it stays under 410 though, I'll be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chomps_x

Anyone on here apply for Computer Science and Software Engineering (Arts) in NUIM? It's a new course and I've no idea what the points will be like. There's another cs course in maynooth which does science subjects instead of arts subjects alongside cs. That course is 355... Can anyone hazard a guess as to what the points will be like for for the cs course through arts? :cool:

Advertisement