Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3DS XL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    What are the chances of nintendo releasing a limited edition console/bundle for nsmb2 ? Really want to buy an xl this week but dont want a price drop happening in 2 weeks.
    :rolleyes:

I would say the chances of a bundle for NSMB2 with an XL on the 17th is unlikely but maybe a few weeks after that there most likely will be a bundle, just like the Ice White Mario bundle that came out a month or two after the release of SM3DL.

As for a price drop? Not going to happen with the XL, the standard one is around €169(?), the XL is the luxury/adult one, so I dont see a price drop happening anytime in the next year or two at least for that, its not like this time last year, where sales were in the toilet for Ninty, its selling well now, and they are starting to see a profit from the sales.

If I was you I'd just wait a few weeks and see what bundles come out for it.

But since I am not you I got mine last week and I love my red one!:D

who cares about 3dsxl ive got mine now time to save for wii u lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Got Rayman Origins twice, one bought by me, one bought for me. Anyone interested in a swap for either Mario Kart 7, Mario Tennis, Heroes of Ruin or Mario 3D Land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

just had a 3ds xl arrive, unexpectedly, from nintendo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Got Rayman Origins twice, one bought by me, one bought for me. Anyone interested in a swap for either Mario Kart 7, Mario Tennis, Heroes of Ruin or Mario 3D Land.

Buy it off you??

• Advertisement

Or swap for metal gear solid 3d??

Helix wrote: »

Jammy @&€t

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'll swap for Mario Kart 7 if you still have it.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'll swap for Mario Kart 7 if you still have it.

We have agreed a swap Oisin sorry ;)

• Advertisement

We have agreed a swap Oisin sorry ;)

As I said I have 2 and can swap to both of you.

Anyone heading to Belfast or the UK? GAME are giving a free Mario Kart with a 3DSXL,****ers for closing up shop here.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

I just bought my 3ds xl from amazon france in the end 200 euro with shipping, weird how all of europe is around 200 euro yet ireland is 215 cheapest.

so i made a video of my 3ds xl unboxing if anyone is remotely interested in taking a look. be kind though, it's my first video ever and i've not quite nailed the lighting, nor the talking for 5 minutes without saying "eh"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Helix after watching your video I decided to treat myself to a blue 3DS XL today and its awesome :D

The bigger screen makes so much difference and the 3d looks so much better on the XL as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

so i made a video of my 3ds xl unboxing if anyone is remotely interested in taking a look. be kind though, it's my first video ever and i've not quite nailed the lighting, nor the talking for 5 minutes without saying "eh"

I thought they didnt come with a charger?

I thought they didnt come with a charger?

Helix is based in north America , Canada to be exact

correct. we get a charger, but japan and europe didnt, for some odd reason relating to cost cutting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Wow! I didnt realise it was location specific whether you get one or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Its only 7 Euro for the charger so not that bad.

Loving the bigger screen on the XL makes such a big difference and I have been playing it all day I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Amazon now offering the XL bundled with a free game - choice of Mario 3D Land, Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy, OoT or RE Revelations- for £169. Probably the best deal if you don't have a 3DS to trade-in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

great video Helix, like always.

i am such a gadget whore and i already want the 3ds XL, but ffs i know i wount play with it. my current 3ds has only 1 3ds game... i still cant get over 40-50eu price tag for 3ds games... i will be picking up them later on on sales.

DSi XL case I bought in game before they shut for €.50 fits my 3DS XL great, even comes with a spare stylus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

great video Helix, like always.

i am such a gadget whore and i already want the 3ds XL, but ffs i know i wount play with it. my current 3ds has only 1 3ds game... i still cant get over 40-50eu price tag for 3ds games... i will be picking up them later on on sales.

That's generally only new releases. As others have said Currys have a two for €30 offer on great games like MK7 and SM3DL.

Big differences in prices so it's worth shopping around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

Here's my video unboxing of the 3DS XL.

Only played with it for a few mins, I love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OXS3FxznF8&list=UUeNE0jYgVNWoL1PpGs2lkQw&index=1&feature=plcp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

jayjay2010 wrote: »
    Here's my video unboxing of the 3DS XL.

Only played with it for a few mins, I love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OXS3FxznF8&list=UUeNE0jYgVNWoL1PpGs2lkQw&index=1&feature=plcp

you are fecking dangerous looking with that knife! :eek:

Unboxing videos are so matter-of-fact, you guys need to unbox things slower...and also add this to the soundtrack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

Got mine today, absolutely love it, haven't been so into a handheld since my GBC and Pokémon Yellow.

Went with HMV. €230 including a charger and New Super Mario Bros 2. Gamestop want €240 for the System and Mario Kart 7, Mario 3D Land or something else, don't know if that includes a charger. Didn't check Symths.

Anyone able to tell me a bit more about streetpass? What kind of notifications do you get from it? Do you get many hits around Dublin?

Anyone able to tell me a bit more about streetpass? What kind of notifications do you get from it? Do you get many hits around Dublin?

StreetPass allows you to exchange game data with other users you meet while out and about.

Here's two examples:
    In Mario Kart, for example, you'll be able to challenge other users ghost data, and see their personal records.

In Mario Tennis Open (which in my opinion boasts the best StreetPass capability of any game so far), you'll receive a computer generated representation of the person's mii to challenge.

Finally there's StreetPass Mii Plaza, which comes pre-installed on all systems. It allows you to exchange mii characters with other players which you can then use for the two in built games, Streetpass Quest and puzzle swap.

Notifications: If the green light is lit on the top right corner of the console while in sleep mode, you've received some StreetPass data. Also on the home screen the green speech bubble thing on the bottom screen notifies you of any new StreetPass or Spotpass data.

I've only been in Dublin a couple of times with my 3DS, got about three hits each day, so it's pretty good. Also, seeing as you just got the system make sure you enable StreetPass on all your games and in StreetPass Mii Plaza before you do anything, and make sure you have wireless on (should have a flickering yellow light on the side of the console).

If there's one thing I could tell any new 3DS ownere it's to use StreetPass. It's the best thing about the console in my opinion, so definitely make use of it!

I think that covers everything, let me know if you need any more info!

• Advertisement

robman60 wrote: »
    I've only been in Dublin a couple of times with my 3DS, got about three hits each day, so it's pretty good. Also, seeing as you just got the system make sure you enable StreetPass on all your games and in StreetPass Mii Plaza before you do anything, and make sure you have wireless on (should have a flickering yellow light on the side of the console).

Streetpass Quest plays like a mobile phone game from five years ago...can't believe they didn't come up with something better. LAZY.

Kinski wrote: »
    Streetpass Quest plays like a mobile phone game from five years ago...can't believe they didn't come up with something better. LAZY.

It's a pretty simple RPG, I agree with you on that. Still a very fun game, I think.

What StreetPass is begging for is a Pokemon game, where you could have automatic trades and automatic battles which take place with passers-by. But Pokemon is coming out on the DS. Again. Someone involved with that franchise must have a serious aversion to anything that feels even remotely like a risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

Would ya relax, the 3DS hasn't even been out 2 years, and you can rest assured the next generation Pokemon games will come out on 3DS. Just have a little patience:p

It's not because I'm itching to play Pokemon 3D; it's concern for the format. The 3DS is doing better than the DS had done at the comparative point in its life-cycle, but is still being outsold by its predecessor in the US. Releasing the latest installment in probably biggest handheld franchise there is on the older system makes sense insofar as there is a much, much larger userbase already, but it risks turning the DS into an undead console that eats up potential sales of the 3DS. If Little Johnny wants Pokemon you don't have to buy him a 3DS...that's just reinforcing the DS sales, potentially creating a vicious cycle. It would be like releasing Pokemon on the GBA 18 months into the DS's (disappointing at first, saleswise) lifespan. It's totally contrary to the whole idea of a hardware generation.

Kinski wrote: »
    It's not because I'm itching to play Pokemon 3D; it's concern for the format. The 3DS is doing better than the DS had done at the comparative point in its life-cycle, but is still being outsold by its predecessor in the US. Releasing the latest installment in probably biggest handheld franchise there is on the older system makes sense insofar as there is a much, much larger userbase already, but it risks turning the DS into an undead console that eats up potential sales of the 3DS. If Little Johnny wants Pokemon you don't have to buy him a 3DS...that's just reinforcing the DS sales, potentially creating a vicious cycle. It would be like releasing Pokemon on the GBA 18 months into the DS's (disappointing at first, saleswise) lifespan. It's totally contrary to the whole idea of a hardware generation.

At this point in time what is the actual price difference between a dsi and a 3DS? I'm not sure there's that great a difference, I could be wrong ofc. If you look at the 2 as separate consoles (which of course, they are) you can see their appeal to different markets. You could argue they both cater to the casual market but I would say to you that the 3DS has yet to reach the accessibility of it's predecessor. Now, to me, this suggests that anybody who just waltzes into a game store without any inkling of what the hell the DS and co is, might just go ahead and pick up the cheaper console with a massive catalogue of games under it's belt. Someone who took 5 minutes to research the DS family however, will know that for the extra (maybe 50 euro?) cash, they'll have a console that will be supported for longer and with access to all games between the two generations combined. This, combined with the fact that B2W2's target market will be the gamers who picked up BW means that the amount of people who will buy their first ds because of B2 and W2 won't really be that significant a factor in the DS's cannibalisation of 3DS sales.

The RubySapphire remakes will probably be out next year and exclusive to 3DS, it'll utilise the features of the 3DS and will be allowed the bonus development time that wasn't used as a result of re-using the BW game engine. It'll target the 3DS owner's who are hungry for a real pokemon game, the BW and B2W2 ds owners who have yet to move onto the 3DS and it'll target the people who played R/S/E a decade ago.

Ultimately, any 3DS sales lost(which btw still means a sale for Nintendo anyway) will be made up for with the inevitable 3DS exclusive Pokemon games released in the future. With the added bonus of an install base made up of current 3DS owners and Pokemon fans who hadn't been convinced to upgrade and even some old school Pokemon fans:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Worth noting as well that there's already one eShop app that works with the content of your pokemon cart (well, if it's B/W 2) on the cards. So there's no reason there can't be more, specifically leveraging the features of the 3DS - like having a Streetpass trade system, or a pokéwalker-style game, or a trade shop that uses Play coins, a Battle Revolution/Colosseum style 3D battling game etc etc.

Bet there won't be. But there could, if they'd only get the finger out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Tomorrow is at last the day I have been waiting for, 3DSXL will be purchased and am very excited for it. Thinking I'm going to go for the current HMV deal of 3dsXL, charger and MK7 for €210, will get Mario 3D land as well as thats the game I really want to play.

Anyone know of any better offers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

As far as I can see HMV seem to be the best for deals. Unless you are doing a trade in of another 3ds, gamestop for that.

A mate of mine got the XL NSMB2 and a Charger for €220 a few weeks back in there.

Oh I'm excited for you!

Love my red XL!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Went a bit mad the past month, picked up a purple 3DS in the states (for Atlus RPGs etc that rarely see release here) and then a white 3DSLL in Tokyo, which is just a thing of beauty. Can't believe they didn't release it in other territories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

ghostchant wrote: »
    Went a bit mad the past month, picked up a purple 3DS in the states (for Atlus RPGs etc that rarely see release here) and then a white 3DSLL in Tokyo, which is just a thing of beauty. Can't believe they didn't release it in other territories.

Class, I'm so envious!! I love the look of the white XL, would love to have one, if I was in Japan I would have done the same, it's irresistible! :)

• Advertisement

Argh I'm so jealous, I'm not buying a 3DSXL until the white edition comes out here. Its taking serious willpower :P And even though I can get by with my Japanese I'm not buying a japanese system because I despise Nintendo's decision to region lock a handheld, a home console shouldn't even be region locked in this day and age ffs!

Sounds like you have a really beautiful collection of 3DSs there ghostchant:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Finally got my Silver XL on Saturday, pretty stoked about it so far. Bought it in HMV dundrum, Console, charger and Mario 3D Land for €229.99 it was cheaper last month but I missed that deal. 3D Land wasn't originally in the deal but the guy there let me get that instead of NSMB2 which was pretty sound of him.

The game is excellent, the use of 3D varies from subtle use with great results to spectacular moments that look excellent.

The console itself is very solid, the screens are properly massive and look fantastic. The online store works well, although its not entirely clear where to find everything at first. Having Demos available is great as well.

Some of the other stuff is good to, Face raiders is actually good fun and I'm looking forward to fiddling about with the AR cards too.

Overall I'm very pleased and delighted that I decided to wait al this time for the inevitable second iteration of the console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Some of the other stuff is good to, Face raiders is actually good fun and I'm looking forward to fiddling about with the AR cards too.

With regard to the inbuilt games, make sure you turn on Streetpass too, for Puzzle Swap and Streetpass Quest! Damn things keep me coming back again and again! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Thinking of getting the 3D DS large one for son. Does it come with any games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

mozattack wrote: »

It doesn't even come with a charger, let alone a game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Was flying through Heathrow and was going to pick up New Super Mario Bros 2 for my 3DS but it was only an extra £130 to get a 3DSXL with a charger as well ... so now I own a 3DSXL, no wireless network here to do the transfer so will have to wait till I'm home on Friday but have had a go on it, it's very pretty ...

Irish Halo wrote: »
    Was flying through Heathrow and was going to pick up New Super Mario Bros 2 for my 3DS but it was only an extra £130 to get a 3DSXL with a charger as well ... so now I own a 3DSXL, no wireless network here to do the transfer so will have to wait till I'm home on Friday but have had a go on it, it's very pretty ...

you don't need a wifi network to do the transfer, you do it via bluetooth or some similar near field communication protocol between the 2 devices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

So I own a PAL 3DS and a North American 3DS XL as I'm living in Vancouver now

Nintendo's region locking is an absolute pain

My ambassador games can't be transferred from pal machine to North American one

Local multiplayer is also region locked. Tried to play Mario Kart against a few buddies here and I couldn't join the game

had to go out and buy a North American copy of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

mozattack wrote: »

The 3ds itself doesn't come with any games inside the box but different stores have different deals where you can buy the console and a game or two together for a special discounted price. You should check Smyths, GameStop or HMV in particular, they often have good in-store offers that change from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

you don't need a wifi network to do the transfer, you do it via bluetooth or some similar near field communication protocol between the 2 devices

Well they both keep asking for the internet and Nintendo say it needs the internet:
    Both Internet communication and local wireless communication are used during the transfer process. Please ensure that you perform this process in a location where both Nintendo 3DS systems can be placed near to each other and where they may both access the Internet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement