Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3DS XL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

megaten wrote: »
    The one thing I'm going to have to get used to is how far away I hold the system. I can't hold it close up like I did with the ds and 3DS because there's physical gaps between the pixels. Tried a few game and theres a good bit of difference between them. Zelda looks incredible while Mario land 3DS looks only alright. Tales of the Abyss looks rough but it was an aliased mess to begin with.:mad:
    The system itself is really nice apart from the speakers which sound as bad as a mobile phones speakers.

****, I was looking forward to playing Tales on my XL, does it really look that bad.

Silly question time, is the XL region locked too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭megaten

****, I was looking forward to playing Tales on my XL, does it really look that bad.

Depends. It's certainly playable but from the games I tried Tales of the Abyss suffered from the lower ppi the most. The game has bad aliasing so the XL is only going to make it worse. It's still worth playing in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

If anyone's got a one of these + aren't using their Club Nintendo code..-cough cough-

Also, is there demo models available in stores here yet or?

Silly question time, is the XL region locked too?

more islly question

cases for 3ds xl i have mine on my shelf dont dare move it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Saw that HMV deal yesterday, very tempted at that price nearly broke down and bought it there and then. Hopefully they will keep it going for a few weeks yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

Hey
    Anyone know is Gamestop the only one that lets you buy back your old 3DS to do the transfer, or do HMV or Smyths have something similar? Would much much rather do transfer at home in my own time.

more islly question

cases for 3ds xl i have mine on my shelf dont dare move it :(

Gamestop have accessories kits for €12.99.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

elWizard wrote: »
    Hey
    Anyone know is Gamestop the only one that lets you buy back your old 3DS to do the transfer, or do HMV or Smyths have something similar? Would much much rather do transfer at home in my own time.

What the hell is this RUBBISH of Gamestop etc LETTING you do a file transfer?
    I would be under the impression that there is no doubt you can do this if you are trading in your system to get the new one.

If not then I would expect at least €200 for my old system with all my games on it, actually I wouldnt trade it in at all in that case.

On topic, saw the XL at the weekend, its super sweet! But I am holding off for 6 months or so for some better colours or ltd editions. I dont really see a rush or need for a new one just yet, but that screen is AMAZING looking!

And I heard the Circle/slide pad is stronger and better rubber is used. Thats kinda cool.

Gamestop and Smyths FORMAT:eek: the systems upon receiving them or at least that is their story policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Gamestop and Smyths FORMAT:eek: the systems upon receiving them or at least that is their story policy.

Lol your joking right? :eek:

Looks like I wont be trading in for a long while so.
    All sound a little ridiculas for store policy to me, buyin system back before they FORMAT your system, that has downloaded/& Ambassador games that you own.
    Makes me see red for some reason.

Lol your joking right? :eek:

Looks like I wont be trading in for a long while so.
    All sound a little ridiculas for store policy to me, buyin system back before they FORMAT your system, that has downloaded/& Ambassador games that you own.
    Makes me see red for some reason.

Sorry I should make my point clearer, after you have traded in the console the staff have been told to format the system to make it ready for resale. If the store have Wifi surely they can provide the transfer service, however I am only a customer like you or many others on here maybe someone who works for either Smyths or Gamestop can give a clear view on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know it won't be of much use to a lot of ones here, but I asked in Derry what they do for system transfer. They said you buy the XL outright, take it home, transfer all the stuff yourself, then bring the 3DS back to get your money back. So basically it's not so much a deal as just selling your system to them for cash.

...after you have traded in the console the staff have been told to format the system to make it ready for resale.
    Um - am I missing something or isnt this a good thing? I dont want a 3DS with my data, credit card details etc, out there.

Anyway, from reading this thread it sounds like most stores let you do the transfer in-store provided they have wifi, but it can take a couple of hours (e.g. you have to update the 3DS XL to latest firmware as step one) so I want to do it at home. Gamestop let you leave a deposit to 'buy-back' your old 3DS to do this, I'm wondering has anyone found that Smyth's or HMV let you do this - as their overall deals sound better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Just for the nose i have no reasons to buy a 3DS XL as i am looking to sell all my 3DS stuff

But what is the HMV trade in deal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

What the hell is this RUBBISH of Gamestop etc LETTING you do a file transfer?
    I would be under the impression that there is no doubt you can do this if you are trading in your system to get the new one.

Whilst I agree, I'm more inclined to blame Nintendo than the shops (I have pretty much zero expectations as far as shops are concerned, and prefer just using Amazon etc.)

Software you download for the 3DS should be tied to an account which lets us use it on multiple systems, and download it again if your system gets lost, broken, or if you choose to trade it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Gamestop are fairly lax on the formatting of console, from my experience.

elWizard wrote: »
    Hey

they let you buy it back only if manager is there

he is away for 3 weeks :mad::mad::mad::mad: so i have to wait

i am so annoyed looking online to find a dsi xl case a decent one

• Advertisement

I don't know if it's an option for you, but you can buy back your 3DS for €135 (it'll only be for as long as it takes to do the transfer). Then bring it back and get your €135 back. If you do it in the morning, you can have your money back by the afternoon. I did this last night -- took both machines home, did the transfer, brought it back at lunchtime today and got my money back - no problem.

If you don't have a deposit down in the Crescent, go to the Parkway. The guys there know the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

This is not the shops' issue. It's Nintendo's. It's a combination of cash-hungry evilness, r4-induced paranoia, laziness and apathy from what I can tell. If it bothers you, wait for the WiiU release, there's some sort of move from handset-tied to account-tied eShop in the works for the 3DS around then.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

Yeah I totally agree, it's Nintendo's lack of an account system that's causing this issue.

They should have done this with the Wii and allow the VC games be copied over from the Wii as well from day 1! I don't mind buying anything that isn't available on the Wii on my 3DS but to ask for more money for NES games again is ridiculous!

The worst thing is that you hear stories about the Scientologists for example, and you think "how can people be that stupid" and yet here I am, just another Mario Moonie with Ocarina of Time on 4 different formats (N64,Cube,VC,3DS)... They milk us dry because they can. We let them!

i give up cannot find any decenr cases online

Banjo wrote: »
    The worst thing is that you hear stories about the Scientologists for example, and you think "how can people be that stupid" and yet here I am, just another Mario Moonie with Ocarina of Time on 4 different formats (N64,Cube,VC,3DS)... They milk us dry because they can. We let them!
    Yeah but I'm telling you this is absolutely the last time I'm letting them do this to me!
    (Disclaimer: This probably isnt the last time I'll let them do this to me).

so so mad cannot find a decent 3ds case only gamestop have some cheap one for 15 euro its no good

It's out in the States in 3 weeks, so a better selection should start to show up then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

so so mad cannot find a decent 3ds case only gamestop have some cheap one for 15 euro its no good

HMV have a few nice cases for the XL. I found HMV to be outstanding when it came to trading in my 3ds, they were extremely helpful and were very happy to do the system transfer for me, they knew exactly what to do.

Not gonna buy a 3DS XL, not gonna buy a 3DS XL...

20120728_120032.jpg

Oops :o

• Advertisement

HMV have a few nice cases for the XL. I found HMV to be outstanding when it came to trading in my 3ds, they were extremely helpful and were very happy to do the system transfer for me, they knew exactly what to do.
    Edit: the cases I saw were actually for the Dsi XL. I think they might still fit okay, but I'm sure there'll be a better selection soon anyway. I used to use a DS case for my old 3ds, the Pokemon black/white one. ;)
    Edit 2: I thought I was editing my original message but I accidentally reposted everything, oops! :)

Edit: the cases I saw were actually for the Dsi XL. I think they might still fit okay, but I'm sure there'll be a better selection soon anyway. I used to use a DS case for my old 3ds, the Pokemon black/white one. ;)
    Edit 2: I thought I was editing my original message but I accidentally reposted everything, oops! :)

and did you buy a dsi xl case for your 3ds xl any good which one

and did you buy a dsi xl case for your 3ds xl any good which one

didn't get any case yet, i think i'm gonna wait for a purpose-built case, i just keep it in the packaging wrap that it came in while I'm out and about, protects it from scratches, and it fits perfectly. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

didn't get any case yet, i think i'm gonna wait for a purpose-built case, i just keep it in the packaging wrap that it came in while I'm out and about, protects it from scratches, and it fits perfectly. :)

Actually I've found that a 3DSXL fits perfectly inside one of those PS Vita cases, not the plastic ones, the cloth cases with zipper....fits in perfectly without a problem...I might use it

I have a spare Kindle case (soft with zipper), might try that tonight and see what the fit is like.

Pfftttt, women. What's wrong with an old fashioned sock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Mr E wrote: »
    I have a spare Kindle case (soft with zipper), might try that tonight and see what the fit is like.

I sincerely hope you mean on your 3DS...:eek:

Edit: haha, cloud beat me to it!

I found HMV to be outstanding when it came to trading in my 3ds, they were extremely helpful and were very happy to do the system transfer for me, they knew exactly what to do.

Yeah they treated me pretty well too. Bought one there last night incl charger and Kid Icarus for 230. Went home did bloody transfer took old 3DS into them this morning and they refunded me 97 euro, not too bad.

Console is good. Nice size, nice to hold. Plastic used in the build makes it seem more 'toy-like' but then, it is I suppose a toy. Screen is lovely - yeah a bit more pixel-y (only had time to try Mario Land) but I think the size more than compensates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Where is the best place to pick up a 3ds xl now,is there anywhere doing good deals?

• Advertisement

Clouds house - it looks like he's left it near a window, so if you can afford bus fare and a brick, it's yours!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

i give up cannot find any decenr cases online

Can you learn to spell, punctuate, and not flood threads please.

Andy!! wrote: »
    Can you learn to spell, punctuate, and not flood threads please.

i did not knoq you are the grammer police :mad:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

i did not knoq you are the grammer police :mad:

* I did not know you were the grammar police.

Well now you do. (Yes, it's spelt 'grammar'.)

Stop flooding the thread asking for people to do your work for you. Use google and the usual suspects (ebay, amazon) to find your own case.

For God's sake, Andy.... after a yellow card a few hours ago? DROP IT PLEASE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Anyone looking for mario tennis as a swap?? I'm looking for rayman origins? I'll pay cash with mario tennis as I have lost the box!!!

• Advertisement

Anyone looking for mario tennis as a swap?? I'm looking for rayman origins? I'll pay cash with mario tennis as I have lost the box!!!

dear god do not play rayman on the 3ds its awful i have it for my ps3 its a exellent game

the 3ds version is awful if you want handheld rayman get it for vita

cannot wait for rayman legends on wii u

Well this is a nice console isn't it :pac:

dear god do not play rayman on the 3ds its awful i have it for my ps3 its a exellent game

the 3ds version is awful if you want handheld rayman get it for vita

cannot wait for rayman legends on wii u

Really that bad?? I heard it was very good on
    Xl screen??

It's much better on the XL....

Mr E wrote: »
    It's much better on the XL....

Hey mr e do you have the game? Just looking for first hand advice as in is it worth 40 euro for origins on 3ds? Also would you be interested in swapping yours for mario tennis?

• Advertisement
Advertisement