Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3DS XL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I sure do. Playing through it at the moment. Very similar to PS3/360 versions, so if you have those, you're not getting much new. Still a long way off finishing it, so I'll hold on to it for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I was gonna buy it till I remembered I have it on PS3 and vita. Great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

If anyone is looking for mario tennis 25 and it's yours and I'll put the remainder towards rayman myself??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Ok, so my plan of not getting the XL until at least after xmas is killing me today.
    Thinking of getting the red one tomorrow (Friday) but what is the best price in Dublin for it? Gamestop? HMV? Smyths?

I plan to get one, do the transfer myself at home and bring the reg 3ds in on sat to trade in for cash somewhere.

Any advice would be super!

I think HMV has the best deal to buy. Symths for trade in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

I'd say you should just wait. and not just cause I'm a sadist, but because I might be waiting the entire generation to get a white XL! Yes I am that vain:pac:

Haha ok Jaydoxx I shall wait until you get one.

Nah, going to trade in a few cheap games to CEX tomorrow too, get the price down as much as I can.

But how much would I get for trading in the org 3DS in smyths/HMV/GS?

Haha ok Jaydoxx I shall wait until you get one.

Nah, going to trade in a few cheap games to CEX tomorrow too, get the price down as much as I can.

But how much would I get for trading in the org 3DS in smyths/HMV/GS?

Dunno how longer this deal goes for, but 115 against the 3DS XL in symths.

got my red xl in gamestop its lovely :)

rayman demo is on the e-shop try before you buy :)

• Advertisement

got my red xl in gamestop its lovely :)

How much did you pay? Did you do a trade in or pay the full price?

What is the full price without trade in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I hear some stories about some XL screens showing a yellowish tint, and Nintendo claiming it's not a fault. Any experienced this?

How much did you pay? Did you do a trade in or pay the full price?

What is the full price without trade in?

i payed 99 euro when i traded in my 3ds and one game and they let me take home my old 3ds for system transfer i have to leave 135 euro with them

when i did transfer at home and went back to gamestop i got my 135 euro back

on its own the 3ds xl is 215 in gamestop

Kinski wrote: »
    I hear some stories about some XL screens showing a yellowish tint, and Nintendo claiming it's not a fault. Any experienced this?

well there bound to me one or two faults if there makin millions of 3ds xl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

If they're claiming it's not a fault then it's a "feature", ie. they have had numerous reports of the same issue but the tint is within their accepted tolerances. It'll be a batch issue or a result of the manufacturing process/materials from a specific supplier/factory, probably one they were aware of in advance and probably one that does not create a contrast issue that would drop them out of compliance with the relevant ISO standard.

Might suggest it's more likely to be seen on a specific colour of handset... are people reporting what colour 3DS they have when the report the issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

well there bound to me one or two faults if there makin millions of 3ds xl

Theres a difference between a fault & design flaw. In the case of a tint in the screen, lets hope its the former

bought a dsi xl case for my 3ds today only one they had it was 15 euro for my little brother to protect xl its horrible but will do him until christmas

im sure they have some 3dsxl mario ones them then ill pick up one for me then

Kinski wrote: »

thats an inherent problem with all lcds AFAIK, akin to dead pixels. I know Nintendo say they won't cover the repair under the warranty, but if it was me, I would dig in my heels and make sure they would fix the problem. At their expense, no less:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I have no idea how prevalent the problem is - probably just a small fraction of the models out there - but Nintendo seem to be claiming it's within spec (which means tough if you get it, no chance of a replacement.) Maybe they'll release a yellow model so to compensate...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I played around with it today in GameStop and I really loved it. It feels a lot better in hands and that huge screen is just sexy. 220eu though...

They got that 99eu + 1 game trade in deal. Tempted.

For anyone interested in that gamestop trade in deal, I just got the dinoasaur 3D game on that list from xtravision for a fiver :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

i used my pokemon white dsi as trade in at games-stop and they accept fair trade, i didnt have to submit my pokemon white game. so ive cough up was €159.99 for 3ds xl and got free 3ds charger with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

cloud493 wrote: »
    For anyone interested in that gamestop trade in deal, I just got the dinoasaur 3D game on that list from xtravision for a fiver :D

New or preowned.

New.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

cloud493 wrote: »
    New.

Thanks for the info, I have been wanting to try this for ages but it is not worth more than €5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭R.F.

Ok, so I got the new 3ds. Had never played the previous version. The 3d seems a bit rubbish.

Like I am seeing double and very off putting. I adjust the slider but it really does not improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

R.F. wrote: »
    Ok, so I got the new 3ds. Had never played the previous version. The 3d seems a bit rubbish.

Like I am seeing double and very off putting. I adjust the slider but it really does not improve.

Some games have better 3d graphics than others. But you shouldn't be seeing double, you just need to find the "sweet spot" for the 3d effect, by holding it at the correct distance from your face. And if you twist and turn it too much when you're playing games, watching videos etc., you'll lose the effect, so you need to keep it pretty still. A little patience and you should get the hang of it, and grow to love it. :)

The 3d seems a bit rubbish.

Like I am seeing double and very off putting.

It seems rubbish 'coz your doing it wrong :)

3ds xl is great love it a great improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭R.F.

EnterNow wrote: »
    It seems rubbish 'coz your doing it wrong :)

Indeed. It looks like it is the end of steering my hands in the direction i am turning when playing mario kart :(

• Advertisement

Indeed. It looks like it is the end of steering my hands in the direction i am turning when playing mario kart :(

If your using the gyro's to steer Mario Kart, you havn't a hope of preserving the 3d effect. It only works if your holding it the right distance from your eyes, you've fine tuned it using the slider & your not moving :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

That's why I haven't turned on 3D on MK7 for more than 2 minutes in total.

gyro off or on, the 3D just doesn't keep in focus for me.
    I just get too excited I guess.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    That's why I haven't turned on 3D on MK7 for more than 2 minutes in total.

gyro off or on, the 3D just doesn't keep in focus for me.
    I just get too excited I guess.

Are you one of those people who tilts their head to make a sharper turn?:D

I wonder could they start bundling Mariokart and Ridge Racer with a small hypodermic of horse tranquiliser so you can freeze your neck in place when playing?

i got a fantastic case for a 3ds xl as marvin would say it lovely

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0079GIVAO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

i got a fantastic case for a 3ds xl as marvin would say it lovely

any chance of pictures of the 3ds xl in it?

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    any chance of pictures of the 3ds xl in it?

i mean i bought it , one guy on amazon bought and his review was positive saying its fits the 3dsxl perfectly . and there spaces to put games for on the go

when mine comes they wont be in stock for another two weeks when it comes ill take pictures

this is what he said

This officially licenced case can hold either 2 smaller handhelds (DS Lite, DSi, 3DS) or 1 larger handheld (3DS XL, DSi XL) as well as a spare regular or XL stylus and a total of 12 games.

The case is well padded, easy to open with a single zip and nothing moves around inside when the case is closed. It neatly keeps most if my 3DS XL stuff all together nearly in the house.

Some negative points are that there is no room to store a charger in this pack or any other small items as there s no pocketforgeneral storage. Infuriatingly the slots that hold the game cards are black elastic so they over thena,e ofthegame meaning I havetopulleach one,outin turn until urine the game I want to play.

All in all I am very happy with my case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Some negative points are that there is no room to store a charger in this pack or any other small items as there s no pocketforgeneral storage. Infuriatingly the slots that hold the game cards are black elastic so they over thena,e ofthegame meaning I havetopulleach one,outin turn until urine the game I want to play.
    He really said that?? :eek: that's one hell of a negative point (I don't even know what it means exactly, nor do I want to know...).

He really said that?? :eek: that's one hell of a negative point (I don't even know what it means exactly, nor do I want to know...).

he was only negative becuase there is storage for a charger no bigge how big does we want the case

Got my XL over the weekend! In fire truck red!

Wow, that screen! So much better than the original screen, love that the 3d slider thingy at the side has a click when you have it off.
    It feels so much more comfortable and my hands don't cramp up anymore. 3D Land looks amazing! Havent put it down all weekend, excpet to drink of course.

I traded in a load of rubbish games to CEX and got €114 in cash, went up to Gamestop and bought the XL out right for €220 with new charger. Agreed with the sales guy that I could do the trade in tomorrow with my old system.

Must say, gamestop have no idea what has to be done with the transfer, he showed me the instructions they were sent from their head office, seems like Xbox transfer details, they havent a clue, they didnt know you needed a WIFI connection in store to do the transfer, even the 'System Settings' were named wrong in the instructions, they called it 'Console Settings' and the guy was looking for ages for that and I had to say to him I think they mean 'System settings' there. He rang around a few stores to make sure the instructions were right and no one on the other end of the phone calls seemed to know either, lol, just silly.

Anyway did the transfer at home. Needed to update the XL first, took about 30 mins, then did transfer which took another 30 mins or so, then had to RE-DOWNLOAD everything I had bought from the eshop and all the Ambassador games too, that took a while.

Brought the original 3ds back into gamestop the next day and traded that in and got €120 back, so I (in a way) got my XL for free!!!!

Really happy with it now, just need to find a nice slim case for it.

• Advertisement

Got my XL over the weekend! In fire truck red!

Wow, that screen! So much better than the original screen, love that the 3d slider thingy at the side has a click when you have it off.
    It feels so much more comfortable and my hands don't cramp up anymore. 3D Land looks amazing! Havent put it down all weekend, excpet to drink of course.

I traded in a load of rubbish games to CEX and got €114 in cash, went up to Gamestop and bought the XL out right for €220 with new charger. Agreed with the sales guy that I could do the trade in tomorrow with my old system.

Must say, gamestop have no idea what has to be done with the transfer, he showed me the instructions they were sent from their head office, seems like Xbox transfer details, they havent a clue, they didnt know you needed a WIFI connection in store to do the transfer, even the 'System Settings' were named wrong in the instructions, they called it 'Console Settings' and the guy was looking for ages for that and I had to say to him I think they mean 'System settings' there. He rang around a few stores to make sure the instructions were right and no one on the other end of the phone calls seemed to know either, lol, just silly.

Anyway did the transfer at home. Needed to update the XL first, took about 30 mins, then did transfer which took another 30 mins or so, then had to RE-DOWNLOAD everything I had bought from the eshop and all the Ambassador games too, that took a while.

Brought the original 3ds back into gamestop the next day and traded that in and got €120 back, so I (in a way) got my XL for free!!!!

Really happy with it now, just need to find a nice slim case for it.

buy this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Im going on holidays soon till the 25th so I'll grab the hori case and 3dsxl + new mario bros 2 when I get back :) hopefully there will be deals with the game

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Careful now, Mr.E will give you a warning for 'attacking another poster' if you point things like this out! At least that's what happened to me when I commented on this users spelling and punctuation (or lack thereof).
    Oh wait no, sorry, forgot; mods are the complete opposite of impartial on this site, so you'll probably be fine :pac:

I must say I am extremely jealous of you lot; not only do you guys get it earlier than we do here in Asia (I've yet to see one instore) but you actually pay much less. Electronics are so expensive here! :(

Anybody going back through Ocarina just to play it on the big screen? Are game saves transferrable? Will I be able to take a game save off the net and use it on my 3DS XL?

Can anybody tell me what DS games, especially 2D ones like Phoenix Wright, look like on the XL? They looked cack on the 3DS' screen!

Most game carts save their data on the cart, using the SD for DLC, Streetpass and that sort of thing. I can confirm that Zelda definitely stores it on the cart. Naturally, if it's stored on the cart it's NOT tied to your handset, there's no encryption or conbobulation. Mario 3DS, Mariokart, Sonic Generations, Ghost Recon, DOA Dimensions and Resi Revelations are the same, but you lose your mk ghost/sp races and DOA costumes and photos as they're stored on the sd card and are encrypted to your handset. Presumably if you do a system transfer you can transfer them across. I've also heard they can be streetpassed over.

You can download saves off the web and write them to the cart if you have the hardware to do it. The one we were using for Pokemon HS/SS and B/W works for 3DS carts as well I think (haven't tried it yet but apparently it'll work, based on issues people had with the undeletable save on ResEvil Mercs.)

Wolvie made a joke about the incongruous use of the word "Urine", which would seem to me to be acceptable jibing where you were just being - in my opinion of course, and I'm not the arbiter of taste by any stretch - a complete tool. Also you used a serial comma in a manner that I felt was unsuitable, though not incorrect. Apples and oranges, my friend, and I don't think you're doing yourself any service by bringing it back up.
    Oh, and it would be "user's" not "users" :)
    But kudos for your use of the semicolon, it upsets me how seldom it gets a run-out these days.

Am I missing something? I can't see what's wrong with DS games on the 3DS but everyone complains about it! On second thoughts, don't tell me - once seen I might not be able to un-see it :)

Edit : That list of carts is not an exhaustive list of games you can move from one handset to another, they're just the ones I have personally tested. I presume it's the same for all games.

Oh, and interestingly MK and SM3DW will keep your old Mii from the original handset.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

"Dear Andy!!,

You have been infracted for posting Backseat Moderation."

Yeah AS IF I was actually backseat moderating and not making a joke. :rolleyes: Have the cahones to actually say why you are issuing infractions (i.e. non-valid personally motivated reasons).

Keep the infractions coming lads, it's only yourselves your showing up in the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Two infractions on the same thread and multiple others on other forums. See you in a few weeks.

And the word is "Cajones"!

....I'll get me coat.

I've noticed I'm getting serious Conquest Hand cramps the last couple of days using a bog standard 3DS. Am I just too old to be playing a console aimed at supple children or does the 3DS XL really make that much of a difference to the playability? Anyone tried the Mariokart 7 grip, and does it make much of a difference to old-man-claw-hand? It's a whole lot cheaper and less hassle than buying a new handset.

Andy!! wrote: »
    "Dear Andy!!,

You have been infracted for posting Backseat Moderation."

Yeah AS IF I was actually backseat moderating and not making a joke. :rolleyes: Have the cahones to actually say why you are issuing infractions (i.e. non-valid personally motivated reasons).

Keep the infractions coming lads, it's only yourselves your showing up in the end.

infairness andy you picked on me over spelling mistake so .......

oh got a email saying my 3ds xl case will be hear on monday for me and brother awesome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

What are the chances of nintendo releasing a limited edition console/bundle for nsmb2 ? Really want to buy an xl this week but dont want a price drop happening in 2 weeks.

Advertisement