Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speeding fine in Australia

Options
  • 22-06-2012 6:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I got a speeding fine in New South Wales yesterday 126 in a 100 zone. $371 aus. I'm only here for a holiday and would probably only return for holiday again so I'm considering not paying it? Is it likely to cause a problem for me down the line? Would they follow it up using my home address from my licence? Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

On who's car?
    if you rented it rental company will charge your CC
    if your mates then he might cop it

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SJG123

Yeah it was a rental car from hertz. The car was charged to my friends credit card. Can they charge him for a fine in my name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

From what I gather the fine will go to the rental company and they will simply charge to whatever credit card was used to rent the car.

Knowing how most companies operate (even the large ones) (they love their fine print) I'd expect the fine to be accompanied by some admin charges as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Well it appears a cop must have pulled you over as you have the ticket now.

IE you know its 126 exactly.

I assume the cop asked you to state your name and address and produce licence.

The ticket has been issued in this case the rental company are not part of this at all.

If you dont pay maybe we should look at the NSW options
    What happens if I fail to pay my penalty notice?
    If you do not pay your penalty notice by the due date on the penalty reminder notice, we will issue you with an enforcement order.

You then have to pay an additional $50 enforcement cost (or $25 if you are under 18 years of age) as well as the balance of your unpaid fine. If the increased amount remains unpaid, further fees will be added as RMS and other restrictions are applied.

When an enforcement order is issued, demerit points will also be applied to your licence, if applicable.

When SDRO issues an enforcement order, we will give you 28 days to pay in full, apply for time to pay by instalments or request a review of the fine.

If you fail to take action, SDRO will direct the RMS to apply RMS restrictions which include suspending your driver licence or cancelling your vehicle registration.

If you still take no action, SDRO will use a range of civil sanctions to recover the monies. These include issuing a property seizure order or garnishee order.

If civil sanctions are unsuccessful, SDRO will consider issuing you with a community service order. If you breach this, a warrant may be issued for your arrest and you may be imprisoned.

http://www.sdro.nsw.gov.au/frequent_questions/no_action.html

As you may never return or just be passing through, the RTA may revoke your right to drive in NSW then on subsequent visit a traffic stop may result in a remand or bail requesting a passport surrender.

As you have proven you wont pay a fine if issued for that offence and are likely to leave the country if summons was issued.

However that would be a huge domino effect which in all fairness would be unlikley.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SJG123

That sounds drastic enough. Il probably just see how it plays out. Il wait to see if they contact me after the 21 days. Thanks for the replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Bogwarryor

If your name is associated with the fine it will stay on the system & gain interest over the years.

What if you come back on another holiday 10 years down the line & are pulled over for speeding or something else, check your name & immediately see this - big problems.

Or if your circumstances change & you decide to migrate there....

I had the same dilema its easier just to pay it.

Advertisement