Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bullying happens at all ages.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Bull. You need to have gotten bullied to realise how severe it is. If the bullies are bullied its the perfect leson

"He who lives by the sword....."

and bear in mind...this is america :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

Typical group behaviour, because none of those brats would dare to say something to the woman's face if they were on their own. What makes it worse is that the victim is obviously working on that bus because she really needs the money. Yeah, I'd say those runts need to go through some bullying themselves to learn and maybe even a kick in their faces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

only a thread now ?? she was bullied, kids tolds off and she got a holiday.

everything went better then expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

That poor woman, my heart goes out to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

they need the shit beaten out of them. no better lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

FatherLen wrote: »
    they need the shit beaten out of them. no better lesson.

The parents are the ones at fault, IMO. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

policarp wrote: »
    Jasus, the parents were bullying her as well? But were too sneaky to get caught? You must have the inside story, spill it, spill it now.... UUGh, what the feck was that? Sh1te? You had a load of sh1te? I thought you knew somthing we didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

my wife was bullied by students and teachers in presentation college, terenure because she is blind in one eye. she was called a twit and dumb on numerous occasions by teachers because she couldnt see the blackboard and was stopped from going on school tours when her vision had no reason to stop her.
    in the end her parents removed her from the school and were considering legal action but they would have been going up against the state and could have lost their home had their case lost. its years ago now but some of them teachers are still there and could be still bullying students

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Kiera wrote: »
    That poor woman, my heart goes out to her.

likewise. my late nana was a big woman. if anyone had of bullied her like that id have gone through them for a shortcut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Serious lack of empathy shown to that lady. At first I thought it was fake but judging by the cowering nature of those "bullying" they too are under the control of some perhaps controlling sociopathic personality. Well thats my take on it anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I feel so sorry for that poor women, didn't watch all of the video, I couldn't.
    She didn't deserve that, I'm glad that she now knows that a lot of people care for her, even people she doesn't know.

It's times like this that I wish corporal punishment was ok, those kids deserve a punishment :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I Like Beer!

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

They set up a charity fund to help her retire. Last i checked she had over $260k raised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I think we should blame rap music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭derb12

So weird that that girl just droned on and on with her "you f***in fatass" crap for 10 minutes straight - possibly longer.
    I like the idea that such horrible kids are getting a taste of their own medicine, though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Poor lady. Sick that the kids mocked her saying that her whole family killed themselves cause they couldn't bear to be near her, when her young son committed suicide 10 years ago and her husband passed away not long after that.

The lack of empathy is astounding, I can't imagine ever reducing a grown woman to tears and not caring.

If she were my mother or grandmother I'd probably knock those kids out. Not a reasonable reaction by any means, but that video made me so angry. Poor woman. I hope she enjoys an early retirement with that fund, she deserves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Would love to see all those little bastards get a hiding some day and have the word ''scumbag'' tattooed to their heads. What a sick thing to do to somebody. I could only manage to watch the first two minutes of that video before getting pissed off.

Some people might not agree but I'd be very surprised if anything like that would happen in this country !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Pottler wrote: »
    Jasus, the parents were bullying her as well? But were too sneaky to get caught? You must have the inside story, spill it, spill it now.... UUGh, what the feck was that? Sh1te? You had a load of sh1te? I thought you knew somthing we didn't.
    Sorry,but my post still stands. . .
    my wife was bullied by students and teachers in presentation college, terenure because she is blind in one eye. she was called a twit and dumb on numerous occasions by teachers because she couldnt see the blackboard and was stopped from going on school tours when her vision had no reason to stop her.
    in the end her parents removed her from the school and were considering legal action but they would have been going up against the state and could have lost their home had their case lost. its years ago now but some of them teachers are still there and could be still bullying students
    Do you think bullying will stop because of one incident?
    It happens every day,everywhere, and if you lose your job, house or livelihood because of bullying , you're going to have to tell someone. . .
    Sindri wrote: »
    I think we should blame rap music.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Delighted to hear that these little sh1ts have had their identities revealed to the world. I expect the threats and abusive phone calls will continue for a couple of months at least, hopefully the twisted little fcuks will learn a lesson. Police should monitor the situation though, I wouldn't rule out some lunatic arriving up to one of their doors with a firearm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭Riddle101

My grandmother would never stand for that. If a couple of kids started mouthing off to her, she'd stand up to them, proberly give them a slap too. Poor woman nonetheless. Got to wonder what makes people act like that. Bunch of animals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Internet justice is what it is, they'll think twice before they harass anyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Real tough aren't they picking on an old woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Horrible little bastards, to firstly abuse someone like that and secondly to have the gall to record it and put it online and expect no repercussions. Thankfully they have been proven wrong although I don't think I would go so far as to condone the death threats, a bit much me thinks.

The fund was set up to raise $5,000 to send the woman on holidays, it has obviously far surpassed that and she can pretty much retire on it now, better than getting $15k a year to be abused by those little ****s.

I wonder how the parents reacted, I know that if that was my child I would have to be held back, I would go ****ing mad if my child treated another human being like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Would love to see all those little bastards get a hiding some day and have the word ''scumbag'' tattooed to their heads. What a sick thing to do to somebody. I could only manage to watch the first two minutes of that video before getting pissed off.

Some people might not agree but I'd be very surprised if anything like that would happen in this country !

Oh it definitely would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Absolute scum.

Hope they get the living **** kicked out of them.

Think that this video going viral is enough punishment for them tbh, death threats definitely not needed, these kids are 12 ffs. Likewise all these wishes for violence upon them, shows that you're no better than them. Were they bullies and do they deserve to be punished? Yes. Should they have the shiit kicked out of them? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

a neighbours kid (12ish) the other day told me he was being bullied by an older kid (in school I think) a while back, I asked him what happened and he said "I punched him and broke his jaw" I hi-fived him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

God I've seen some horrible twisted things on the Internet but this is just completely heartbreaking to watch. Imagine if that was your mother, sister or granny and you found out they had to endure that crap. They should be severely punished and a hard slap wouldn't go astray either. If one of them were my kids I'd beat the living **** out of them and get them on their hands and knees and apologise to that woman a million times.

Hope she keeps getting the money rolling in and enjoys every last cent of it.

WTF was the driver doing? Surly he heard something? No deserves that treatment.

God I hate bullying!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

The bus driver that drove me to secondary school every day had to put up with similar s**t to that. He had a nervous breakdown and had to retire early a couple of years after I finished school. Kids can be pure as*holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

We all did bad things as kids. Granted this is pretty rotten, and probably a lost worse than any of us did as kids, but kids can naturally be extremely mean. I remember our entire class making a new student teacher cry, although I don't remember anyone going to this extreme, I don't recall any personal insults, just general messing! We all grow out of it. I imagine these kids would have been horrified even if this wasn't recorded and they though about it 10 years from now.

Two things I thought of while watching is that,
    perhaps society (in America at least) has gotten too liberal and soft on kids progressively over the years. Maybe it's time to go back a little bit.
    I never appreciated being hit as a child and have even previously said so on boards. But growing up in the 90s it was fairly minimal at least. It wasn't acceptable to go overboard, but still perfectly okay to give a kid a smack in public when they were way out of line. I think this might be a good level of tolerance towards physical punishment of children. Although, I still feel that consistent parenting would be enough without having to smack the child in 99% of cases.

Another point is that in the age we live in of youtube and smart phones, we are now all judging these kids. I'm sure there are a few awful things each of us have done that perhaps we can't even recall that would get some fairly extreme negative reaction too.
    I read that these kids addresses have been leaked online, and they're receiving death threads. Two wrongs obviously don't make a right as the saying goes.
    It's up to the parents/school to deal with this, despite how uncomfortably mean it all was.

But yea, it was one of the more shocking videos I've seen on the internet, and that's saying something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

That video has pissed me off to no end :mad:

Cûnts need a smack of a belt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭Heckler

My mum is that age and if i ever heard of her getting that kind of abuse i wouldn't care about the age of the bullies, I'd slap the everloving **** out of them and gladly do the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

is the woman definitely getting the money? That would be a sweet little scam for whoever started the fund.

The kids are little fcukers and hopefully they've learned the golden rule of the internet now: don't mess with cats or old people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Little sh*ts. I shouldn't have watched the video-I'm angry now.:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Little scumbag in the video :mad: evil little ****

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

what lovely kids. what hope do we have looking at this crap? am sure there will be plenty defending them. in my eyes they are just bad, scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

massive lol at the 'parents are at fault' brigade. every time without fail.

you need to have a seriously naive viewpoint on human behaviour to automatically assume - 100% of the time - that a kid's upbringing is the reason they act like a wanker.

the parents you're accusing could be perfectly decent people, in fact they more than likely are. AH is like the Daily Mail comments section sometimes.

you need to have a seriously naive viewpoint on human behaviour to automatically assume - 100% of the time - that a kid's upbringing is the reason they act like a wanker.

the parents you're accusing could be perfectly decent people, in fact they more than likely are. AH is like the Daily Mail comments section sometimes.

Agree with you for the most part, obviously the parents can have a certain amount of influence should they choose to but yeah ultimately their peers will have a greater influence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I do blame the parents to a degree, maybe not for the bullying itself because all kids act differently when away from their parents, but I do blame them for allowing 12/13 year olds access to Youtube and Facebook. Unless its changed, you had to be older than 13 to join Facebook, and these kids videotaped this with the intention of posting it to their facebook pages just to get likes from others. That's where I blame the parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

The "parents are to blame" thing is about 50/50 in my opinion.

I remember a kid I never liked, saw the attitude of his father, it clicked into place, why he acted the way he did.

Then again, we all know that one kid who is simply angelic around their parents and is simultaneously a lovely little psychopath in school around their friends.

Moral of the story, kids are great at leading double lives.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

theres no respect for each other in society ,were all very uncaring and non chalant , values are placed in the wrong thing,having the latest nikeys or iphone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

In a video that Karen Klein was being interviewed in about this she said that they had passed remarks about her before but had never been this vicious before this incident, clearly the fuckers were just playing up for the camera trying to look deadly. I must admit that I love the fact that they uploaded the video hoping that it'd make them look cool but it backfired spectacularly. The woman deserves every cent of that money, I was close to tears the first time I saw that video. There's no way that didn't damage her in some way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

One would like to think that these are just a bunch on teenage punks. Truth is, are they really different from most people?

People are animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

The video was hard to watch and upset me a bit when I saw it earlier.

But still, the reactions here and the even more extreme ones sending death threats, show that we as society still don't understand how to handle bullying.

These are middle school kids, so anywhere between the age of 11-15. They have no idea of the consequences of what they're saying, no concept of the grand scheme of life and how what they are saying/doing to this woman will continue to affect her once she gets off that bus. That's not to excuse their behaviour, but to illustrate what is missing in their education and development that a child to be so cold and uneducated to do this.

Death threats and wishing violence upon them won't help the problem. Internet justice is an absolutely ridiculous concept that almost always ends up being hypocritical. What you'll get is they'll go one way or the other: they could commit suicide based on the backlash of this video or harden up and go the other way completely.

Either way, nobody wins. The woman will feel better for having her half million dollars, no doubt, but you can't just throw money at someone and hope emotional scars heal (though it is a lovely gesture, all the same). The kids won't learn and be rehabilitated back into society as a result. And the cycle just continues somewhere else because people think and react with their emotions, first and foremost, when they see videos like this. And that blocks any real progress from being made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

leggo wrote: »

Death threats and wishing violence upon them won't help the problem. Internet justice is an absolutely ridiculous concept that almost always ends up being hypocritical. What you'll get is they'll go one way or the other: they could commit suicide based on the backlash of this video or harden up and go the other way completely.

Either way, nobody wins. The woman will feel better for having her half million dollars, no doubt, but you can't just throw money at someone and hope emotional scars heal (though it is a lovely gesture, all the same). The kids won't learn and be rehabilitated back into society as a result.

I completely agree.
    Two wrongs do not equal one learning experience. Proper intervention and education is a harder, but more likely sucessful tactic.

Its not going to stop people advocating knocking those kids six ways til Sunday though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Bullied Bus Monitor Karen Klein Sees the Best and Worst of Humanity in 24 Hours

A shocking video of middle schoolers verbally abusing a poorly-paid, hearing-impaired grandmother of eight hired to keep them safe on the school bus went viral on Wednesday. Over 29,000 online strangers rallied to Karen's side, donating $630,000, enabling her to retire if she wants to.
    Bullied bus monitor Karen Klein has been blown away with the outpouring of support from sympathizers around the world, and RadarOnline.com can exclusively reveal how the 68-year-old grandmother plans to spend the 430,656.35€ she has so far received in donations from well wishers.

"She is definitely surprised and overwhelmed and certainly thankful for everyone's support, and it is nice knowing she is not alone," Klein's daughter, Amanda Romig, tells RadarOnline.com in an exclusive interview on Friday.

"We never thought it was going to be that much, she didn't think that much – then wow!" says Romig, who explained that she didn't think her widowed mom was going to return to her job after the verbal torture by the seventh graders from the Athena Middle School.
    "I don’t think she is going to go back, I think she is pretty much done."

As RadarOnline.com previously reported, the four boys in the Greece Central School District near Rochester, New York videoed their torment and then posted the shocking clip -- which had more than 1.2 million YouTube hits in less than two days -- showing a sobbing Klein being bombarded with insults about her weight, graphic sexual comments, threats, called poor, and then physically assaulted with a book.

The shocking video sparked the launch of a fundraising website on IndieGogo.com, which aimed to raise 3,987.56€ so she could go on a much-deserved vacation, but it was has already raked in 100 times that amount.

Along with overcoming her emotional distress, what is forefront on Karen's mind is what she is going to do with the half-a-million dollars.

"Right now, she has got to call her accountant and go from there, she’s talking about paying her bills and getting caught up and then whatever she feels she wants to do, she is going to do," Romig tells Radar.

"She has a lot of ideas including making a donation here and there. My nephew has autism and my niece has Down syndrome, and with those types of disabilities the kids are going to get picked on too, so she wants to help both causes," she explained.

As for the vacation the fundraising was originally launched for, Klein has already been bombarded with free trips!

"Anderson Cooper gave her 10 tickets to Disneyland, and Disney World is letting her take a cruise of her choice," says Amanda. "She’s going to Boston to be the honorary duck monitor next week.

"There are a few things in the works, the TODAY show wants her back - but she's not going to do a reality show yet!" she laughs.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/06/bullied-bus-monitor-karen-klein-reveals-how-she-will-spend-500000-donations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

What a disgraceful post.

Do you not understand personal responsibility?

The children bullied the woman.

Therefore it's the children's fault.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

We all did bad things as kids. Granted this is pretty rotten, and probably a lost worse than any of us did as kids, but kids can naturally be extremely mean. I remember our entire class making a new student teacher cry, although I don't remember anyone going to this extreme, I don't recall any personal insults, just general messing! We all grow out of it. I imagine these kids would have been horrified even if this wasn't recorded and they though about it 10 years from now.

But yea, it was one of the more shocking videos I've seen on the internet, and that's saying something!

I don't recall any kids doing anything anywhere near as bad as that.

Maybe it is my age, but I never saw kids carry on like that when I was their age and I grew up in a rough, troubled area.

So many kids are spoilt brats these days and get away with bl**dy murder.
    You can keep them. Not for me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

Serious lack of empathy shown to that lady. At first I thought it was fake but judging by the cowering nature of those "bullying" they too are under the control of some perhaps controlling sociopathic personality. Well thats my take on it anyhow.
    lacking empathy doesnt always equate to personality disorders,such as anti social PD [aka sociapaths,aka pyschopaths].
    am severely autistic [with mixed functioning] and completely lack empathy but have got strong morals and know that bullying,abusing,hurting etc any inocent beings is completely wrong,will not allow people to hurt insects and they get fed up when am always jumping in the way of their swinging hand at flies.

am totaly glad anon,/b/ and whoeelse has got onto those kids-it really is about time people realised they cant go around doing and saying anything without consequences.

am also glad the woman got that fund-hope she can retire or changes her job to a school with kids that respect her more,shows how much maturity she has sitting there and taking it as if they were saying something normal.

however,surely she wont be using all that money-woudnt it make sense to open a charity/fund for bullied teens and kids in america to allow those who dont have the money to pay for therapy sessions,medications [caused by the bullying],a support/social group for bullied kids/ teens to meet up with each other and teach them stuff to give them confidence ,take bullied kids/teens on activities or camping trips to help them get away from their thoughts,self defence classes to help them stand up for themselves...things like that, they coud probably get part of it funded to.
    just personaly think it doesnt seem very balanced that this ladies one experience- has earned her all that money when am always reading about so many long term brutaly bullied students in america sucessfuly atempting suicide or being left with permenant mental health issues if they survive suicide attempts-many of those who have been sucessful or have survived had videos of their bullying online;have wondered where on earth is the ganging together for them and raising money to pay for their after care or needs?

not to say her experience wasnt awful for her and is completely unaceptable, it just doesnt make sense how people can not see the imbalance in age and bullying.

and people who think it only really happens to kids or teens are simply not around it to see it,it happens to adults so often,more so those who are classed as vulnerable- this may be disabled people,pensioners,people with mental health problems, and depending on area even people with a conflicting religeon coud be classed as vulnerable to bullying from teens/kids but also adults.
    apologies for waffling on here [have put code tags around it so it doesnt take a load of the table up] am twenty eight and still get bullied now due to being vulnerable through severe disability,am actualy a strong person and last year had put a bully in hospital from fighting back.
    kids,teens and adults think theyre macho rolling off disablist abuse; even though am always with one or two support staff,they dont seem to realise woud knock their heads off if was aware of it happening at the time or wasnt being held back by staff.

a...very infamous sockpuppeting user here came very close to going through serious police action after support staff of mine found out had been badly bullied by him online for years after he first pretended to be a friend to get information for him to use as his own life experiences [was driven to suicide attempts amongst other bad stuff,had a very bad run in with police,trigger of severe major depressive disorder and violent extremely paranoid pyschosis],was told by a doctor woud have been sectioned that day if had not been living in secure residential care.

the reason was bullied by him was through such twisted toxic jealousy,but it does say a lot about a persons mental stability if they can be that jealous and resentful of someone who is severely disabled and has a lower level of quality of life.
    he was jealous of the services/support that got and said did not deserve it,he woud take the piss out of the fact have grown up being physicaly abused by parents and have been sexualy abused in residential care- apparently none of that was abuse and its an insult to people like him who went through real abuse.

he used information from the blog of mine as a way to get attention on forums,and was treated like **** by him,called retarded,told being so low IQ shoud not be posting on threads that dont concern us,over time; pretty much made to feel like was not worth the air was breathing so it; along with finding out the first friend had ever had; was the person doing this bullying campaign; it triggered severe mental illness.
    people dont realise cyber bullying does affect adults,and it isnt only weak people who are affected; was one of those strong people until all of this,now am so cynical and paranoid of people and what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

$600K+ and it isn't taxable!!

http://news.yahoo.com/internets-favorite-bus-monitor-her-600k-tax-free-155246217.html

Of course, this means that congress will call a special session and there will probably be a new tax amendment so this type of thing doesn't happen again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement