Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New ipad or Surface?

• 22-06-2012 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I am just about to buy a my first ipad.....I have just read about Microsoft's Surface and think it sounds and looks the business.

Should I wait until it's realeased instead of the ipad.....??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I am just about to buy a my first ipad.....I have just read about Microsoft's Surface and think it sounds and looks the business.

Should I wait until it's realeased instead of the ipad.....??

Have a look at your horoscope, probably your best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

The ipad is on its 3rd generation of tablet, while the surface is only just released, i'd say go with the ipad as the surface could have unforeseen problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Go for an iPad. As kenno90 said, there will unforeseen problems with the surface.

Even look at this video, it should sway your decision:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

What answer did you expect posting in a 'Apple Media Devices' forum about a M$ tablet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

thewing wrote: »
    What answer did you expect posting in a 'Apple Media Devices' forum about a M$ tablet?

Was waiting for someone to say that.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

surface looks like it needs another 1 year of work.

at the surface event, no one got to use one, we're all looking at this 10inch screen (not projected up to a bigger one), journalists weren't allow to touch them or even type on the keyboard.

the product is no where near ready to even launch let alone compete with an ipad.

since microsoft had told their OEM customers of their plans, they had to announce the surface before it leaked from somewhere.

the surface has one thing going for it and it is the smart cover (nice to see where they stole that idea) with the integrated keyboard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No price, no battery life, no release date. The Surface is a joke. It's one step away from being vaporware. Microsoft really have no shame.

The most important thing about the Surface announcement is that MS have basically given the finger to third party tablet manufactures. Google will probably follow suit shortly. They have both realised, albeit belatedly, that they only way to compete with Apple is to play their game and that means making the hardware and the software. The problem is Apple have being doing this a lot longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I wouldn't call it vaporware, the thing is real , they will be releasing it , but its gonna be a real struggle for people who buy it.

There are no apps at all, its the same with windows phone 7

When Google release their tablet it will be a different story, they have apps already and the nexus brand is strong

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JohnnyNoxville

thewing wrote: »

I expected an objective answer based on the Surface's potential merits in comparison against an Apple Media Device, the iPad. Which I got. Seems to me the most logical forum to post it on....

Thanks for your replies. I'll go for the ipad so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If you want something dependable, and anytime soon, that would be the best bet.

Make sure you get the new iPad and don't be seduced by the lower price tag of the iPad 2.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Kenno90 wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it vaporware, the thing is real , they will be releasing it , but its gonna be a real struggle for people who buy it.

There are no apps at all, its the same with windows phone 7

When Google release their tablet it will be a different story, they have apps already and the nexus brand is strong

One version of the surface will be running Windows 8 Pro, FULL Windows, not a mobile OS like the ipad uses. Any app that runs on windows will run on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

The Surface sounds like the tablet I've been waiting for.

I use my iPad for email and web browsing all the time, but when I want to do something more advanced such as programming, photo editing or even simply downloading I have to bring a laptop with me.

Surface is the one device I've been waiting for replace both my laptop and tablet. It runs full windows 8 Pro and transforms from a Metro UI touchsreen on the go, to a keyboard/trackpad with traditional desktop for when needed. I think it has loads of potential.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The keyboard looks cool, but would MS be including it unless they had to? Can I operate the device fully using just the touch screen? I strongly suspect the answer (certainly in the case of the x86 version) is no, hence the keyboard. Which basically means that the Surface is a laptop that you can't use on your lap.

It'll be interesting to see what the finished device is like, but I still don't think MS really gets tablets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I think the surface looks good but as pointed out there are a lot of unanswered questions about it. Ultimately it will depend on what you are using it for. If you need to use word or Excel type programs on the go but dont want to bring a laptop, Surface would appear to be the better choice. I dont think iPad have bridged the gap between consuming content and creating content

Dades wrote: »
    If you want something dependable, and anytime soon, that would be the best bet.

Make sure you get the new iPad and don't be seduced by the lower price tag of the iPad 2.

Agree... I am going for 16gb new one.

The keyboard looks cool, but would MS be including it unless they had to? Can I operate the device fully using just the touch screen? I strongly suspect the answer (certainly in the case of the x86 version) is no, hence the keyboard. Which basically means that the Surface is a laptop that you can't use on your lap.

It'll be interesting to see what the finished device is like, but I still don't think MS really gets tablets.
    Really? I imagine they could figure out a way to have an on-screen keyboard on the device if they really put the effort in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

No, they're including it because you might want to. Touch interfaces have their limitations.

I used a Demo of Windows 8 last night and the Metro interface looks slick, fast and colourful.

Touch one button and you're back to Desktop land where a keyboard and mouse can be used.

As others have said, it has lots of potential but it's extremely important that M$ get it right on release. They should delay as much as they have to to get it perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

No price, no battery life, no release date. The Surface is a joke. It's one step away from being vaporware. Microsoft really have no shame.

The most important thing about the Surface announcement is that MS have basically given the finger to third party tablet manufactures. Google will probably follow suit shortly. They have both realised, albeit belatedly, that they only way to compete with Apple is to play their game and that means making the hardware and the software. The problem is Apple have being doing this a lot longer.

....and apple devices come with all of the above :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

T-K-O wrote: »

....and apple devices come with all of the above :rolleyes:
    When Apple announce products they are usually ready, so yes. They thankfully don't do this hand wavey business of saying "here's pictures of our new product. We don't know how much it will cost or what the battery life is or when it will be released, but it's great." Remember the HP Slate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

When Apple announce products they are usually ready, so yes. They thankfully don't do this hand wavey business of saying "here's pictures of our new product. We don't know how much it will cost or what the battery life is or when it will be released, but it's great." Remember the HP Slate?

Spot on. I think this will be another HP slate.

One of the great things about Apple is that they tell you about a new product, it's spec is thrown online straight away, they tell you the price and usually have it available for shipping the same or next day. On some occassions within the next 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Another Xbox vs Playstation.

Wait 3 or 4 years and Surface will beat iPad, would not advise a first gen surface over 3rd gen ipad now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

When Apple announce products they are usually ready, so yes. They thankfully don't do this hand wavey business of saying "here's pictures of our new product. We don't know how much it will cost or what the battery life is or when it will be released, but it's great."

Yeah, that's Gizmodo's job:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

People need to remember tablets are not designed to replace laptops and they probably never will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm holding out on making a decision on either product until we see a lot more of both, and after the actual releases.

No doubt the iPads revolutionized Tablets and really brought them into the mainstream, but I do have faith that Microsoft can really pull it out of the bag when they need to.

I'm mostly a PC user, was never comfortable with the Macs, even back in 80's and 90's, and still remember the Windows ME and Vista problems, as well as the original Tablets back at the start of the century, but I admit the Surface has peaked my interest.

My laptop is only really used for watching movies, skype and all that, and never for gaming anymore as I have an insanely good PC, so the connectivity and chance for insane networking with the Surface is really appealing to me.

I'm not counting out Microsoft just yet, just like people shouldn't have counted out Apple all those years ago, before Steve Jobs returned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Dades wrote: »
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 2nd edition model. It's a fantastic piece of kit, and a great introduction to the tablet world. In addition, having an extra €100+ in your sky rocket might be a real consideration for some.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

dodzy wrote: »
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 2nd edition model. It's a fantastic piece of kit, and a great introduction to the tablet world. In addition, having an extra €100+ in your sky rocket might be a real consideration for some.
    Never said there was anything wrong with iPad 2.

But the OP was deciding between an iPad and an as yet unpriced Surface, so it doesn't seem like price is a big consideration. And if price isn't a big consideration, then you'd be nuts not to opt for the retina display iPad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

My gf wants the new iPad for her birthday in six weeks
    The 32gb one
    How much should I expect to be paying for it was told bout 600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

To be honest, 500 quid isn't exactly massive money and the ipad holds it value quite well.

Buy what suits your needs and is available to buy now. If, in 6 months time, you realise that you have made a mistake, sell the iPad for 350 and by the Surface.

Advertisement