Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new branch layout

Options
  • 22-06-2012 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭

I was in the newly re-modeled Bray branch the other day.
    What is Bank of Ireland doing??
    Customer care desk as you entered has now gone.
    The cash desks are hidden down the back.

Whilst this branch was never a great branch, I always found it a bit unfriendly lacking the personal touch. Now the personal touch has all been but removed.

As one elderly lady beside me said, " I walked in to the bank across the road to lodge something for my son, They noticed I was a little unsure of where to go and a young lady was at my side to assist me within seconds. Here where I banked for all my life I am asked to deal with a machine. I am 81 and have no time for such crap"

Sentiments I have to agree with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nicholastown

I was in the Bank of Ireland branch in Bray yesterday, and though it has changed I thought it was good, different but good - it will avoid the long queus on a friday that we had to deal with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi all.

I am sorry to hear you do not like our new branch layout.

We want to offer our customers the opportunity for more efficient day-to-day banking and from time to time we pilot and implement new technology, service changes and enhancements.

We always aim to work closely with our customers when any changes are made and although the physical customer service desk is removed, the customer service officials remain available.
    I was in the Bank of Ireland branch in Bray yesterday, and though it has changed I thought it was good, different but good - it will avoid the long queus on a friday that we had to deal with

Thanks to you both for your feedback, it is much appreciated.

Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

although the physical customer service desk is removed, the customer service officials remain available.

Maybe but where are they? You have to look for them. Today I went to do a lodgement and ended up walking out. long queues and a lot of lost looking people.

Hi bernard0368.

I understand your frustration. Apologies you didn't have a good experience with us on this occasion.
    I will pass your feedback on to Bank of Ireland Bray.

Thank you.

Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 25,434 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I understand your frustration. Apologies you didn't have a good experience with us on this occasion.
    I will pass your feedback on to Bank of Ireland Bray.

Isn't the branch layout determined by faceless architects in head office? You're not seriously suggesting that the officials in the Bray office have any say on the branch layout, that would be a first in Irish banking surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Tripzy

Hi
    While I haven't been in the new Bray branch I was in more local to me and found it soul-less ...not a customer friendly place that I would be rushing back to...
    I've also heard from staff (informally) that they have to "sell" the benefits of the machinery to the customers...the same machinery that may be putting their own jobs at risk.. Dont like it at all.. give me a long slow queue with a bit of interaction with staff any day, its not as if we dont have the time to pass these days, unfortunately!!
    t

Hi all,

As always we appreciate your feedback with any new changes and enhancements we implement.

Your comments have been forwarded on to the relevant department.

Thank you.
    Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

Whilst this branch was never a great branch, I always found it a bit unfriendly lacking the personal touch. Now the personal touch has all been but removed.

As one elderly lady beside me said, " I walked in to the bank across the road to lodge something for my son, They noticed I was a little unsure of where to go and a young lady was at my side to assist me within seconds. Here where I banked for all my life I am asked to deal with a machine. I am 81 and have no time for such crap"

Sentiments I have to agree with.
    Bank of Ireland here in Kilkenny is the same op really annoying,
    They had quick lodge (where you put money in envelope and then into box) it suited me fine I was in and out in 5 min max (the machines now wont allow me to pay into my savings a/c) so so head wrecking :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Same in Mullingar, its a disaster since they got rid of quick lodge. More often than not there is only one lodgement machine working where people only put in one cheque at a time and then start the whole process again, but then again I dont blame them as if you put in more than one the machine gets jammed. The whole privacy is gone.
    Bank of Ireland:Laura Are you one of the new recruitments in BOI- Your responses seem somewhat automated quite patronising actually.
    BOI had the best system with quick lodge and then come out with this automated crap. Are these re-developed E-Voting machines??

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I visited the Bray branch today, and seriously, I wasn't the better of it for a couple of hours afterwards!

My last visit was a few months ago - and I would like to point out that while I have had horrendous difficulties with Bank of Ireland PLC (because of the way the Deceased Customer Unit operated), I have found the staff in the Branch to be pleasant and helpful.

But today - I went in - no Customer Service desk, and - it seemed - no cashiers! No-one to ask about what I should do, or where I should go. After a minute or so, I asked an elderly lady who was sitting on a chair if that was the queue to 'see someone'. She was just about to point out where the cashiers were hidden, when I spotted them. So I joined the queue, which thankfully wasn't long. But there was a delay, as when one person was finished, the cashiers began waving and smiling/laughing, rather than calling the next customer - a man in front of me. It turned out that the cashiers were waving because they were trying to attract the attention of someone who'd obviously been looking for them. That lady came up and went to the counter in front of the man before me. Understandable, and all that, but unfortunately the lady didn't just end up collecting something - she had to spend a few minutes clarifying something. Still, these things happen and I didn't mind.

When it was my turn, I had a query - there was €250 in an executor's account which I opened jointly with a relative. The relative had signed a withdrawal slip, (and I had with me the original Grant of Probate which would verify the signature), but I didn't know if I was permitted to withdraw all the money, and consequently close the account, or would this action require another letter/form of authorisation from my relative. When I asked the cashier, she said she didn't know, and I'd have to 'see A or B (names witheld for obvious reasons) who were 'walking the floor'. The cashier did say that I wouldn't have to re-join the queue when I found out the answer, but come straight to the counter.

I went off to look for A or B - I hadn't seen sight of either of them when I first came into the Branch. But thankfully, I found A - who was dealing with a customer, and went off to enquire about something, and she kindly told me that she'd see me when she got back. As it turned out, it was B who came along and spoke to me. She went off to enquire, and told me that C would speak to me. C was helpful, and explained that yes, I would need to get an additional signed authorisation to close the account, but I could now withdraw €245. I signed the withdrawal slip and C left it in behind the cashier's counter and told me to tell the cashier about it.

There were people ahead of me in the queue, and I could hardly push them out of the way and go marching up to the counter, so I waited in line again until it was my turn.

But what's the idea of having people 'walking the floor' - walking the floor without being in uniform, or wearing some sort of identification, so that a customer would know to approach them? And why is there not even a sign indicating that a customer should 'wait here to speak to a representative' if they don't know where to go? It's daft, and it took me about 25 mins to withdraw the €245 and have my question answered.

Why are the cashiers seemingly deliberately hidden?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi gerbilgranny,

I have passed on your feedback for the branch to have a look into the issues your encounter while in there.
    And why is there not even a sign indicating that a customer should 'wait here to speak to a representative' if they don't know where to go?

When you go into the branch there should be a "welcome" sign where you can wait for assistance if needed. There should also be a seated waiting area.

Thanks
    Linda

Advertisement