Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spain v France

• 22-06-2012 10:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭

Spain v France.

I think Spain will have to much for the French who looked a different side against Sweden then one that took 4 points from England & Ukraine.

Spain 3 - 1 France

World and European champions Spain take on France at the Donbass Arena in Donetsk this Saturday in the third quarter final match of Euro 2012.

Group C winners Spain won their group in fine style with wins over Ireland and Croatia and a draw against Italy, scoring six goals and conceding only one. France on the other hand made their fans sweat somewhat, having drawn their opening match with England before beating Ukraine and then performing poorly and suffering an unexpected defeat to Sweden.

The two sides meet in a competitive affair for the first time since the last 16 of World Cup 2006 when the French came out 1-3 winners over the Spaniards.

Since 2006, the French squad has undergone a massive overhaul, with Frank Ribery and Florent Molouda the only survivors. The Spain squad has retained seven of its players from that period and they look to be peaking at the right time. Spain are widely expected to reach the final of Euro 2012 and France’s Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye knows that his team will have to improve dramatically on their performance against Sweden if they are to have any chance.

“They’re the best team in the world, so we’re going to have to play like it’s the final. If we play like we did against Sweden, we haven’t any chance of beating Spain. We know this,” Cabaye was quoted as saying on the Mirror’s football website.

“It was as if Sweden weren’t already out of the competition and we played like we were already on our holidays.

“I don’t know what happened. We’ve always played like a team, but not this time. We’ve qualified and that’s the main thing. We have to forget this.”

Against Sweden, France appeared to be overly relaxed and seemed to play with a sense that this match was a foregone conclusion. The concentration levels were absent and in fact, only four of France’s twenty four shots on goal were on target. A repeat of this performance is likely to be punished by Spain.

“Our mentality wasn’t right,” said Cabaye. “We’ve four days to prepare for our next game. It’s going to be difficult. We have to be better but the most ­important thing is we have to have a better mentality.”

Meanwhile, the Spanish are not without their own issues. The Spanish media have accused the team of failing to live up to its star billing and coach Vincent del Bosque is under pressure to change is tactics and playing style ahead of Saturday’s big match. Grilled over his decision to play with a recognised striker in the opening match against Italy, and then questioned about whether Fernando Torres is good enough, Del Bosque has been quoted in the Daily Telegraph of complaining of Spain "not appreciating what we have".

“I don’t understand the criticisms, I don’t share the criticisms.” claimed goalkeeper Victor Valdés. “At the moment, our rivals know us better than they used to but having said that, results speak for themselves.

“We just need to concentrate on our quarter-final against France. Del Bosque has got it right so far, so we need to all pull together to win the match.

France do not have any major injury concerns ahead of the game despite Ribery and Nasri sitting out training on Wednesday while Spain have no injury concerns.

Spain should win this. France, who were considered dark horses by many would be forgiven for drawing their opener against England, but their loss to Sweden have serious question marks hanging over them.

Benzema has struggled to hit top form as of yet, but it's a match like this that he could come to life.

Spain are no great shakes at the back and I expect France to score, but I also expect Spain to score 2. They will probably start with a striker unlike their first game where the no frontman approach didn't work.

The last time Spain lost in a major tournament knockout round was against France in the 2006 World Cup, when France won 3-1.

France might go with 2 defense minded midfielders to get stuck into Silva and Iniesta and/or Fabregas.

francevspain.jpg

Verdict: 3-1 Spain

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I think France are going to shock Spain in this. I don't think Spain have played particularly well except for Trappatoni letting them beat us up in Gdansk.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Spain to win 1-0 in extra time in the most dreary encounter of the tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Hard to tell really about Spain yet. Ireland result hardly counts. 1-1 with Italy and 1-0 against Croatia wasnt overly impressive. You would expect them to beat Croatia with a bit more ease. Saying that I wouldnt write them off and they could quite easily win the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Spain to win 1-0 in extra time in the most dreary encounter of the tournament.

You mean even worse then the game last night? Oh dear..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Don't think it's that hard to tell about Spain yet - they've shown loads in all three games to be considered favourites. Even though Italy put it up to them in game 1, Spain still played extremely well - and if anything, finished the stronger of the two sides.

Goals scored: 6
    Goals conceded: 1
    Shots: 58 (38 on target)
    Through balls per game: 18

Not too shabby IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭bren2001

I have never been blown away by a team before but sitting in the Gdansk stadium watching Spain effortlessly move the ball around the pitch. Their movement is brilliant and every pass is inch perfect, I only saw one or two stray passes. I fully expect them to get fully going now and push past France. The French have been poor again this tournament, it would take something huge to upset Spain, cant see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

On paper Spain are the obvious choice, but then again they have been the obvious on paper winners against France a number of times in the past and come out second best.

Think Spain have never won a game against France in a major tournament, so will be interesting to see if Spain can get that monkey off of their collective backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Wasent there a supposed bust up in the French dressing room after the Sweden game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Hard to call tbh. As time goes on I'm beginning to sway more and more towards France. Just feel they've a lot more to give.

I know it's 6 years ago but I keep thinking back to WC 06 when France were awful in the groups then went out and beat a highly fancied Spanish team in the last 16.
    Think it could well be an E/T pens job this time around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

France have been really narrow. Their play at times was tidy but my god they sure know how to get bogged down in the final third. In fact ridiculously easily bogged down. There is a distinct lack of pace and zip to their play. The intensity is pedestrian at times and I think the service into Benzema has been only middling.

I think they will get punished for this against Spain. I am going to say 2-0 to Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I can't see either team keeping a clean sheet in this one. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the French performance against Sweden. But as has been pointed out, France are a bit of a bogey team for Spain.

I think Spain will win 2-1 and despite the previous record, I would be hugely shocked if France win this game. Shutting up shop and taking it to penalties may be their best chance. Maybe if they can score first, they might get lucly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

As a fan of Spain I'm hoping for a Spain win but they have been less than convincing so far.In saying that I thought they were less than convincing at the World Cup but they still managed to win that. Euro 2008 is where they really shined for me.

France are playing a similar style to Spain at the moment and I think that this could work to Spain's advantage i.e. don't think France will play an ultra defensive game. I'll go with a 2-1 to Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

I think Spain are playing well actually, and that they will probably win 1-0 as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

I'd be inclined to agree with CongoPowers. While they might not be at their brilliant best I still think they will have too much for this French side. Silva and Iniesta are f'n amazing together btw and I just think Spain have too much quality all over the pitch and bench to be beaten by this rather "new" France team.

I'd love to see Torres score again, it has been a really rough past 2/3 seasons for him and I actually think what many say, he has good character. He will come good again, form is temporary, class is permanent and Del Bosque knows this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

France have been really narrow. Their play at times was tidy but my god they sure know how to get bogged down in the final third. In fact ridiculously easily bogged down. There is a distinct lack of pace and zip to their play. The intensity is pedestrian at times and I think the service into Benzema has been only middling.

I think they will get punished for this against Spain. I am going to say 2-0 to Spain.

This current French team seems to hate to get into the opposition penalty area. They just seem to play with the ball 25 - 30 yards out and then Benzema will try his luck with a shot. They really need to gamble on getting balls and players into the box or they'll be going home. They won't have as much possession as they are used to against Spain so when they do get it hopefully they'll be prepared to gamble a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

0-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Spain haven't conceded a goal in the knockout stages of the last two major tournaments.

Impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Really, really, really looking forward to this game.
    Would love to see France go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Think (and hope) France will nick this 1-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

France have adopted a "defence first" starting 11, details to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

France to have three obvious penalties not given, and Spain to grab a late winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Apparently...

Lloris, Reveillere, Rami, Koscielny, Clichy, Debuchy, Mvila, Cabaye, Malouda, Ribery, Bezema

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Apparently...

Lloris, Reveillere, Rami, Koscielny, Clichy, Debuchy, Mvila, Cabaye, Malouda, Ribery, Bezema

Seems like 5 at the back or whats going on?

France to have three obvious penalties not given, and Spain to grab a late winner.

This sounds likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

double GG wrote: »

I think if they go 5 at the back they'll be too far off the midfield dangermen of Spain. If they went man on man in the midfield it would be better imo.

If it's 5 at the back they'll just have some players standing off while Spain have the ball in the middle of the France half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

double GG wrote: »

Looking like a 5-2-2-1 to me, or something like that.

Doocey wrote: »
    Really, really, really looking forward to this game.
    Would love to see France go through.

We need more enthusiasm, here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

When have France ever successfully parked a bus against anyone? Does this French team have the togetherness and work ethic to pull off such a defensive gameplan? I think not. With some luck and hard work they could counterattack and get a goal but I think Spain will easily penetrate their defence repeatedly within the 90 mins. Spain, by 1 or 2 goals in 90 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I reckon France are going to go 4-1-4-1 or 4-2-3-1 with Debuchy as the defensive 1 in the first formation or sitting alongside M'Vila as part of a deep two in the second formation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Can't see any other than a Spain win in this one. France have been very unimpressive so far and don't play in the right way to get their forward players into the game, and as much as I like Benzema, I'm not sure he's the best player to have up there when they wont have a whole lot of possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Easy win for Spain 2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I reckon France will win this. Should be a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

I reckon France will win this. Should be a good game.

How do you reckon they can overcome Spain and in what way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

SPAIN - Casillas; Arbeloa, Ramos, Piqué, Alba; Busquets, Xabi Alonso, Xavi; Iniesta, Silva, Fabregas.

Looks like they really want to outpass and tire out France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

craggles wrote: »

Spain can be beat. Coming into the the tournament I fancied France to do very well. It'll be by no means easy, but I can just see France doing it. Looking at the Spain team, is that the same team they played against Italy? That was a close game, and this France side is better than the Italy side IMO.

• Advertisement

craggles wrote: »

Spain aren't that unbeatable. france are a lot better than they showed in the group. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they got through tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Apparently...

Corholio wrote: »
    SPAIN - Casillas; Arbeloa, Ramos, Piqué, Alba; Busquets, Xabi Alonso, Xavi; Iniesta, Silva, Fabregas.

This is either going to be utterly fascinating or merde sur un stick!

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Spain aren't that unbeatable. france are a lot better than they showed in the group. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they got through tonight.

I get the feeling that some here did not watch the Croatia match. They are definitely there for the taking.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I hate Del Bosque's Spain.

mike65 wrote: »
    This is either going to be utterly fascinating or merde sur un stick!

How come. Is the french team ultra defensive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I hate Del Bosque's Spain.

They're taking the piss with the passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Samich wrote: »
    They're taking the piss with the passing.

They should let the other team pass it more?

Aragones Spain were exciting to watch. I have never warmed to the Del Bosque style.

I get the feeling that some here did not watch the Croatia match. They are definitely there for the taking.

Remember I watched the Irl Italy game heard the Spanish result and just assumed Spain dominated and just wasn't their night in front of goal.

However after watching the Spain Croatia game it really showed that Spain can be vulnerable. There were times when Croatia attacked and they genuinely had Spain on the rack. Remember one particular incident were Modric gave a class outside of the boot cross into the box and his teammate (for the life of me can't remember who it was) had a glorious chance with a header however his effort was disappointing. Would have put them one nil up at a crucial stage and Spain gained confidence from then.

I can see it going to E/T tonight tbh!

I hope Spain smash them

Croatia had their chance to knock spain out. Whathisname should have buried that header and then Croatia were through and Spain were gone. Perhaps they will push on, but thus far they drew with Italy and the Spain v Croatia match could have gone either way.

They did EIRE well to their credit. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bookie basher

leaving out nasri is a mistake, dont think france have the mentality or spirit to do a greece/chelsea on spain, spain have way too much experience for france, 2-0 to spain would be my tip for a scoreline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I had the Croatia game going on the laptop and was flicking between in it and the Ireland match. Croatia could well have won it. Modric's cross for the other lad was perfect. It was a terrible header though. Straight at Casillas. They could well have gone out of the competition there. Croatia ripped straight through them for that chance. Deserved a goal.

I wouldn't be surprised if France won. Spain have an aura of invincibility about them that isn't really true in my opinion. They could well be there for the taking.

If Benzema plays primarily in the box then I think France have a very good chance of winning. He has dropped way too deep in the last few games and they have suffered. Ribery beats a man, crosses the ball and there's no one there to finish it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

leaving out nasri is a mistake, dont think france have the mentality or spirit to do a greece/chelsea on spain, spain have way too much experience for france, 2-0 to spain would be my tip for a scoreline

There are a lot of players who should be playing ahead of Nasri in my mind, especially considering the performances thus far. He was relatively okay against Eng/Ukr, but still was content to loiter around the 25 yard line playing simple passes. He isn't capable of playing the central role and has to play out wider, and even then he lacks directness. Menez or Valbuena would have been a better option, with even Marvin Martin in the centre, but as it stands neither of the aforementioned four play.

Don't think France will have to do a "Chelsea" on Spain, they have proven themselves to be easily troubled by Italy and Croatia, 2 games that they could easily have lost. We may as well rule out the Ireland performance for what it is worth, and recognise that Spain were infact quite lucky to emerge from that group.

With France, they have Koscielny coming in, a plus which can't be emphasised enough. I personally think that this game could go either way, and I'll stick my neck out and go for France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

There are a lot of players who should be playing ahead of Nasri in my mind, especially considering the performances thus far. He was relatively okay against Eng/Ukr, but still was content to loiter around the 25 yard line playing simple passes. He isn't capable of playing the central role and has to play out wider, and even then he lacks directness. Menez or Valbuena would have been a better option, with even Marvin Martin in the centre, but as it stands neither of the aforementioned four play.

Don't think France will have to do a "Chelsea" on Spain, they have proven themselves to be easily troubled by Italy and Croatia, 2 games that they could easily have lost. We may as well rule out the Ireland performance for what it is worth, and recognise that Spain were infact quite lucky to emerge from that group.

With France, they have Koscielny coming in, a plus which can't be emphasised enough. I personally think that this game could go either way, and I'll stick my neck out and go for France.

One of my favourite names in football. He sounds like a cartoon character.

• Advertisement
Advertisement