Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany v Greece

• 22-06-2012 10:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭

Germany to take this at a canter, they will have to much around the pitch for Greece to deal with IMO.

Germany 3 - 0 Greece

The second match of the quarter-final stage of the Euro 2012 tournament takes place between Germany and Greece on Friday.

The favourites to win the competition, Germany come into the game having topped their group with a 100 percent record while Greece looked certain not to qualify after failing to win against Poland and the Czech Republic. However, a goal against Russia secured their place in the knock-out stage.

Germany are favourites to win the competition and have never lost to Greece in their eight previous clashes. They have also won every European Championship quarter-final game that they played.

Criticised for playing defensive football so far in the tournament, with many saying that it is far from the free flowing Germany from the 2010 World Cup but manager Joachim Loew denies that this is the case and is not planning on changing his tactics.

"You have got to try and keep a clean sheet, but without just building a wall," he said.

"There has been no wall-building here and we have been creating chances. Our attack remains our priority, but you have to find the right balance," he was quoted as saying on Sky Sports."

Germany have been well organised and are patient in waiting for goals to come as they showed against Portugal, Holland and Denmark.

Defender Jerome is back from serving a one match ban and will take over from Lars Bender at right-back, in what is likely to be the only change to the side that beat Denmark 2-1 on Sunday.

Greece will be hoping that they can replicate their 1-0 quarter-final win over France at Euro 2004, a game in which they were also underdogs in a tournament which they proceeded to win.

The Greeks are in a fighting mood ahead of the game with midfielder Kostas Katsouranis saying that they were not thinking about their underdog image.

"We're going to play Germany. What do you think we are thinking? That we're going to lose? That's why they are going to have a tough time. "What do they think? That we're just going to stand there and look at them? We're going to play them. We have proven that through the games so far,” he was reported as saying on France 24.

Striker Dimitris Salpingidis was in a similarly fighting mood.

"If you come to the dressing room, you will see 22 fighters, ready to fight. It doesn't matter to us what anyone says," he said.

"In 2004, we proved we can do it. What we're going to do is fight, and try to go through to the next round."

Greece will be without captain Giorgos Karagounis - who scored the goal against Russia to see his team through to the quarter-finals - and Jose Holebas, who are both suspended, while goalkeeper Kostas Chalkias is unlikely to recover from a hamstring injury in time for the game.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

A good mate of mine is Greek so will be cheering for them.. (and the hot blonde) but cant see past a German win here tonight, 3-1 Germany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

National pride is one hell of a drug lads. Greece to shock the world imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    germany to dump them out of the euro the next day :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Logically there's no way Germany can lose this.
    Logically there was no way Russia could lose this year or that Greece could win in 04...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Schweinsteiger will pull the strings here. Germany are solid at the back and can't see them giving too much away. I think it will come down to how good the German attack is tonight. This is the one area where Germany are not very strong imo, they don't have a potent striker or that killer instinct up front but when you have someone like Schweinsteiger behind them then it should be enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Wouldn't be that much of a shock tbh. Once you get to the QF stage then you can't really be discounted that easily.

Shame that Karagounis is suspended but here's hoping for a Greece win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Greece defend like madmen, and then hit a winner just before 90 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I think I'll play safe and predict a narrow 2-0 win for Greece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

jester77 wrote: »
    Schweinsteiger will pull the strings here.

was it not reported yesterday that he's out due to injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

theteal wrote: »
    was it not reported yesterday that he's out due to injury?

No greater loss for them, if he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

No greater loss for them, if he is.

i'm looking for where I read it yesterday in vain, i've seen a couple of probable team lists just there and he was included in all of them. . .i think the menopause might be kicking in :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

i say a surprise might be in store
    Greece 1-0 Germany says this scholar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

If Germany win tonight they will set a new world record of winning 15 competitive games (i.e. excluding friendlies) in a row.

Their last loss was against Spain in the WC 2010, and since then they have won every competitive game, scoring 42 and conceding only 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭drumlover22

Schweinsteiger will pull the strings here. Germany are solid at the back and can't see them giving too much away. I think it will come down to how good the German attack is tonight. This is the one area where Germany are not very strong imo, they don't have a potent striker or that killer instinct up front but when you have someone like Schweinsteiger behind them then it should be enough.

Is Mario Gomez not a potent striker? I think he's had the ball for around 1 minute and scored 3 times!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Eh Gomez is probably in the the top 3 most clinical strikers on the planet right now - joint top goalscorer at the Euros yet you say he is not potent :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

4-0 Germany I reckon, think they'll blow them away. Think germany will reach a new level in the knock outs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

Hopefully the Greeks can win this one

A good bit of Greek support on this thread it appears. It'd be an interesting poll (not who you think is gonna win, but who you'd like to win).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Hoki wrote: »
    Eh Gomez is probably in the the top 3 most clinical strikers on the planet right now - joint top goalscorer at the Euros yet you say he is not potent :confused:

I can guarantee you that Mario Gomez is far from impotent!

...wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Logically there's no way Germany can lose this.
    Logically there was no way Russia could lose this year or that Greece could win in 04...
    Big difference between Russia and this German side though.

Hoping for a German win, they are a very entertaining side and i want to see them in the final with Spain, the two best sides in Europe by a distance for me.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I can guarantee you that Mario Gomez is far from impotent!

...wait...

Gomez is both a lover and a fighter.

(sorry for the horrible "humourous" dubbing in that clip)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Klose is also a very potent striker... If Germany win here and England beat Italy, it will be a Germany v England semi final!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭tigger123

I heard Julius-Caeser-Angela-Merkel will be in attendance herself... I would love nothing more than for Greece to cause a shock and nick a 1 - 0 win :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Politically and from a story perspective, I'd love to see Greece slap the Germans one. From a football perspective Germany and by a lot. I would love to see an exhibition from the Germans tonight.

Greece to take a shock lead and Germany to wake up and steamroll them

Germany 4-1 Greece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Be very surprised if Greece can pull of an upset here without their out ball, and talisman to be honest.

Germany will find a way to score, where is the Greek goal going to come from?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

BILD have Klose starting instead of Gomez tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I'm hoping to see Germany win, I love watching them play.
    Greece won't be laying down though and it could be tough for Germany.

The fact Karagounis is missing for Greece is gonna weaken them considerably. It's a joke his suspension still stands really. A review panel should be set up to strike off decisions like his yellow card vs Russia. At the very least, Greece should be able to appeal the suspension.

Germany to win 1-0, Gomez header.

Germany XI vs. Greece: Neuer - Boateng, Hummels, Badstuber, Lahm - Khedira, Schweinsteiger - Reus, Özil, Schürrle - Klose according to BILD.

I love that front four :D

Can't see Loew dropping all 3 players (Gomez, Podolski and Muller) though.

-Ade- wrote: »
    Germany XI vs. Greece: Neuer - Boateng, Hummels, Badstuber, Lahm - Khedira, Schweinsteiger - Reus, Özil, Schürrle - Klose according to BILD.

Germany must be very confident of a win if they go with that team.

Reminiscent of 1954 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Yeah, that really doesn't look right. Unless he's greatly underestimating Greece.
    Gomez and Podolski wouldn't deserve to be dropped. Granted, Muller has been quiet but still should play. As for Reus and Schurrle, I'd imagine Kroos would start ahead of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Aenaes wrote: »
    Yeah, that really doesn't look right. Unless he's greatly underestimating Greece.
    Gomez and Podolski wouldn't deserve to be dropped. Granted, Muller has been quiet but still should play. As for Reus and Schurrle, I'd imagine Kroos would start ahead of them.

All the major German Media outlets confirm the above team. Makes complete sense to me. Podolski has been poor in all 3 matches so far, and Schuerrle brings much more creativity and danger to the game.

Klose is more of a playing striker, which should work much better against the deep standing Greeks.

Reus on the right should be able to to cut the Greeks open and get dangerous balls into the box for Klose to convert. While Mueller has not been terribly poor, he hasn't really done anything special either in the last 3 games.

Very offensive team with loads of players that have the creativity to decide a game with something special.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Gonna be a little bit of tension around this match i'd say:eek:

The borrower is playing the lender of last resort.

BILD have Klose starting instead of Gomez tonight.

Gomez carrying a knock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Müller, Poldi and Gomez' benching is tactical. Disappointed to see Gomez benched but delighted that Reus will be starting.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Müller, Poldi and Gomez' benching is tactical. Disappointed to see Gomez benched but delighted that Reus will be starting.

I would think so too, its a case of getting a few players more likely to be able to unlock a very good and stubborn defence for this game. Germany should have the lions share of possession and will need clever players to get past the Greeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Germany are the best team in Europe at the moment, and are lightyears ahead of Greece. Wouldn't be surprised by a 3 goal margin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Hope you're taking the piss?

No threat up front...pew pew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Can't wait to see how Schurrle and Reus perform on the big stage.

Greece may well give them some problems tonight, going to be hard to break down. 1-0 win for Germany, goal coming in the last 20 minutes.

Don't write off Greece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

tolosenc wrote: »
    Germany are the best team in Europe at the moment, and are lightyears ahead of Greece. Wouldn't be surprised by a 3 goal margin.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that, they've looked the best in this tournament so far, but they've not really had a tough test to be honest they came up against a VERY poor dutch team, looked good against Portugal and didn't look all the GOOD against Denmark and lets not forget if that penalty on Bendtner is given it could well be someone else in the quarter finals.

A good team? Yes, one of the best in the tournament? Yes.

Best in europe? I wouldn't say so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Germany looking for more ball retention and better passing in tight spaces?

Pity I didnt see that coming, it upsets my fantasy football team :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Germany will smash Greece to bits, 3-0 for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Can see Greece nicking it with a late goal

The tension is rising!:D

303606_479775112037845_2098287641_n.jpg

"All Greek beers 30% down in price, all German beers +30%"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Does anyone know how quickly RTE put the coverage up onto the Player? Will they do it tonight or will they wait till tomorrow?

I'm going off playing soccer at 8.30, so if I could catch the second half on the Player later that'd be great.

Does anyone know how quickly RTE put the coverage up onto the Player? Will they do it tonight or will they wait till tomorrow?

I'm going off playing soccer at 8.30, so if I could catch the second half on the Player later that'd be great.

I goes up round 11pm I am pretty certain. Last night's game was up around that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

It should be up after the game/show. Not 100% though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Perfect. I'll just have to avoid Facebook, Twitter and Boards until 11 then. Easier said than done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The set where ZDF are broadcasting from in Germany is fantastic.

http://omg.wthax.org/vlcsnap_2012_06_22_18h31m49s67.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

The set where ZDF are broadcasting from in Germany is fantastic.

http://omg.wthax.org/vlcsnap_2012_06_22_18h31m49s67.png
    You've accidentally linked to 1974.

Confirmed Germany starting XI ^

• Advertisement
Advertisement