Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Sword of Islam" - strategy game featuring historical Muslim scenarios

• 22-06-2012 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Thought that some readers might be interested in this!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/21/consultan-the-creator-ckii-sword-of-islam-interview

Crusader Kings 2 is a strategy game that involves more family intrigue that the usual fighting, and Sword of Islam is an add-on DLC for it modelling the rise of Muslim dynasties. They seemt to have done it in an objective way and Muslim gamers in the comments have approved:
    RPS: What new challenges can rulers of Islamic dynasties expect to be faced with?
    Fåhraeus: There are two main challenges for Muslims; dynastic decadence and “open” or Turkish succession. Basically, there is a stronger incentive to land your (many) sons in the Muslim world, because if you don’t, your dynasty will grow decadent. Landed sons, of course, are dangerous; when your ruler dies, they will be your landed brothers, and will be quite likely to launch succession wars.

RPS: Is there any mechanic similar to excommunication for Islamic leaders?
    Fåhraeus: There is a somewhat similar mechanic. Muslims rulers can ask their Court Imam or Mullah to issue a fatwa against one of their vassals, allowing them to revoke a title. However, this is not a diplomatic action – like asking the Pope to excommunicate someone – but a decision like holding a tournament

RPS: In a broad sense, how does the relationship with the Islamic faith manifest itself in the game?
    Fåhraeus: In a myriad of ways, I would say. Muslims have many different events from Christians, often referencing Islam. There is a different set of minor titles, such as the Chief Qadi, who will get special events concerning Sharia Law. Muslims can go on the Hajj to Mecca, which triggers a little adventure with various branching events, and they have some unique traits, like Faqih (schooled in Sharia Law), Hafiz (has memorized the Koran) and Sayyid (descendent of Muhammad or his uncles).

RPS: The rules surrounding marriage seem like they’d be one of the bigger changes. How will that work?
    Fåhraeus: Muslims are allowed to marry up to four wives. For gameplay reasons, they are expected to marry a number of wives corresponding to their rank (we want Muslim rulers to have many children, as they historically did.) So, for example, an Emir is expected to have at least three wives, or he will lose a bit of Prestige every month. Also for gameplay reasons, the first wife is a bit special; only her skills are added to yours, but all wives can give you alliances. Lastly, Muslims do not gain any Prestige for marrying, and there is no royal wedding event granting you money or Prestige.

More at the link.

P.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

interesting, i thought islamisicsts werent allowed this sort of thing, progression perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Stuck Cone wrote: »
    interesting, i thought islamisicsts werent allowed this sort of thing, progression perhaps?

I'm pretty sure Muslims like video games (and bishops love scifi).

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

oceanclub wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Muslims like video games (and bishops love scifi).

P.

Dont bash bishops :) any info on here about converting from catholisism?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭HamletOrHecuba

What is this doing in this section? Isnt there a gaming section?

What is this doing in this section? Isnt there a gaming section?

Er, yes there is, but this is the first game with historical Muslim scenarios I recall, hence I thought readers of an Islam group would be interested.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Er, yes there is, but this is the first game with historical Muslim scenarios I recall, hence I thought readers of an Islam group would be interested.

P.
    I found it interesting anyway (I never read the gaming boards so I wouldn't have seen it had it been posted there)! I think they could have come up with a slightly less cliched name for it, but it looks good all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭HamletOrHecuba

P.

Why?

One of the things I have always liked about the Muslims that I have come into contact with is that the adults are actually adults and not overgrown teenagers. There is something sick about adults playing these games. Even for children it is very damaging. I have a good pamphlet somewhere on the subject written by a Russian monk, maybe I will translate it and post it in the Gaming or Conspiracy section.

Why?

One of the things I have always liked about the Muslims that I have come into contact with is that the adults are actually adults and not overgrown teenagers. There is something sick about adults playing these games. Even for children it is very damaging. I have a good pamphlet somewhere on the subject written by a Russian monk, maybe I will translate it and post it in the Gaming or Conspiracy section.

A anti-gaming pamphlet by a Russian Monk? Please send it onto me. Address it to "Couldn't Give a **** ****".

P.

Why?

:rolleyes:
    there is nothing sick about it
    if you don't like it don't do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Why?

Muslims play video games too. I really don't think the post is as off topic as you seem to be suggesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Why?

There's no reason why adults should not play games. They aren't even necessarily mindless fun depending on what you're playing. Anyway, some people come home and lay off steam by watching tv, films or reading a book. Others choose to play games which is just as a legitimate medium as any other. I really don't think that you possess evidence that refutes this besides some hyperbole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Age of empires 2 was a strategy game back in the day. You could play as Turks, Saracens and Persians and it featured many battles from the crusades.

One of the best things about it was that it included a very detailed log about who the many people in the battles were (such as Saladin for example) and provided a lot of historical context and background. I was maybe 12 at the time and I learned stuff from reading through those logs, that I didn't see again till about 2 year of secondary school, and even then it wasn't in nearly as much detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Sounds interesting

Advertisement