Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jimmy Carr tax dodger - would you do the same?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I think terrible comedy/comedians should be taxed double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

chin_grin wrote: »
    I think terrible comedy/comedians should be taxed double.

Ha! Ed Byrne would be crucified so!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

I'd avoid paying for everything if I thought I'd get away with it

Only a fool wouldn't avoid paying as much tax as possible. He was 100% right. He did nothing illegal, its a non story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Roadend wrote: »
    I'd avoid paying for everything if I thought I'd get away with it

really if you were worth the same as jimmy carr (16 million pounds)?

he'd be doing well to spend that in a lifetime and he sure is hell cant take it with him to the next life so why not just pay some tax.

i like to think that i would pay but who knows, the more money you aquire seems to make you greedier

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Comedian Jimmy Carr has apologised for using a legal tax avoidance scheme

why apologise when it's a legal scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Nobody pays more tax then they need to on purpose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

If he's not breaking the law then it's nobody's business but his own.

"Morally wrong" my f*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

I feel a sense of responsibility to pay tax. I've been educated by the state to MSc. level, at very little cost to me personally and I'd like to pay my fellow citizens back.

smash wrote: »

thats pretty much the nail on the head really, its the laws are at fault not jimmy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

He shouldn't have apologised for doing something perfectly legal. If I could do it too I would. And anybody that says different is a liar. Why pay more tax than you have to??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Bill Gates wasn't morally correct either, worked out well for him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I'd do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

davet82 wrote: »

he'd be doing well to spend that in a lifetime and he sure is hell cant take it with him to the next life so why not just pay some tax.

i like to think that i would pay but who knows, the more money you aquire seems to make you greedier

I like being greedy though

Roadend wrote: »
    I like being greedy though

well at least your honesty makes up for your greed ;)

I feel a sense of responsibility to pay tax. I've been educated by the state to MSc. level, at very little cost to me personally and I'd like to pay my fellow citizens back.

Oooooooh look at you Mr. SmartyPants...

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

I'd have no problem doing what he did, we obey the laws not make them.

That's why we need student fees means tested

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

i think its wrong though,there are hundreds of thousands who pay their tax contribute to where they live,and he doesnt thats the bottom line

davet82 wrote: »

he'd be doing well to spend that in a lifetime

Just give me 1 hour in Sant'Agata and I could have it gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

i think its wrong though,there are hundreds of thousands who pay their tax contribute to where they live,and he doesnt thats the bottom line

No the bottom line is he did nothing wrong.

• Advertisement

preddy wrote: »
    I'd have no problem doing what he did, we obey the laws not make them.

Do you have a problem with Bono moving his tax affairs abroad?
    preddy wrote:
    That's why we need student fees means tested

Maybe a good idea. Either that or a finite graduate tax which I'd be happy to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I don't pay any more tax than necessary, and I don't know why anyone would tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

As long as he agrees never to moan about government cutbacks, or government spending or use such as material in his shows then he can do what he likes...and I can regard him however I like.

I will be educated past MSc and I couldn't give a damn to be honest. I will pay what tax I absolutely have to but will use any trick or loophole possible to avoid what I can.

I also have no problem with Bono or anyone else for that matter moving their tax affairs abroad. Honestly your not well if you would to sit there and hand over millions in tax that you could easily avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

smash wrote: »

Cos he got found out! The next edition of HIGNFY (not to mention and 8 Out of 10 Cats) will be fun.

1% income tax when you are a multi-millionaire is taking the pish a bit, also makes joking at Barclays bank etc tricky on the 10 O'Clock Show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

It's morally corrupt and just because he's a comedian doesn't mean he should be looked upon easier. It's even worse when you consider he was using legal tax avoiding politicians for material in his show last year.

The system is wrong too but the scumbag should have paid his tax like everyone else, he earns enough.

Plus he's painfully unfunny

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Do you have a problem with Bono moving his tax affairs abroad?

No more then I do with having big multinationals move to Ireland to pay our lower tax rates.
    Can't have it every way!

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    It's morally corrupt and just because he's a comedian doesn't mean he should be looked upon easier. It's even worse when you consider he was using legal tax avoiding politicians for material in his show last year.

The system is wrong too but the scumbag should have paid his tax like everyone else, he earns enough.

Honestly what sort of people are posting in this thread. Only an absolute brainless clown would pay more tax then they have to. People need to forget this moral shi*e. "Oh he should pay his taxes like everyone else..." Everyone else would avoid it too if they could for fecks sake.

Calling someone a scumbag for being legally smart with their finances, I've see it all now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

he did pay his tax like everyone else, he probably paid more than the majority of people in the UK

1% of 3.3 million is around 33k tax, i'd wager that's quite a bit higher than the average

• Advertisement

preddy wrote: »
    No more then I do with having big multinationals move to Ireland to pay our lower tax rates.
    Can't have it every way!

Fair enough, your consistent. Some of my friends who are fans of Carrs have been defending him, but they bitch about Bono and his tax all the time. Blinded by love.

Advertisement