Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jimmy Carr tax dodger - would you do the same?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Honestly what sort of people are posting in this thread. Only an absolute brainless clown would pay more tax then they have to. People need to forget this moral shi*e. "Oh he should pay his taxes like everyone else..." Everyone else would avoid it too if they could for fecks sake.

Calling someone a scumbag for being legally smart with their finances, I've see it all now.

It's people like you, with this attitude, that has our country ****ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

"Morally wrong,"... Aye, those wars and trident missiles won't pay for themselves :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Honestly what sort of people are posting in this thread. Only an absolute brainless clown would pay more tax then they have to. People need to forget this moral shi*e. "Oh he should pay his taxes like everyone else..." Everyone else would avoid it too if they could for fecks sake.

Calling someone a scumbag for being legally smart with their finances, I've see it all now.

What about Warren Buffet and the other billionaires who've been lobbying for higher taxes on the rich for quite some time now. I guess they're brainless clowns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Fishooks12 wrote: »

he said legally smart, not 100% mortgage retarded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

mike65 wrote: »
    Cos he got found out! The next edition of HIGNFY (not to mention and 8 Out of 10 Cats) will be fun.

1% income tax when you are a multi-millionaire is taking the pish a bit, also makes joking at Barclays bank etc tricky on the 10 O'Clock Show.

1% tax on that much money is probably more than what most people pay anyway!

• Advertisement

What about Warren Buffet and the other billionaires who've been lobbying for higher taxes on the rich for quite some time now. I guess they're brainless clowns.

no, they're just populist twats. there is absolutely nothing stopping them from paying more tax voluntarily. they just want to soapbox and have everyone tell them how amazing they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

People need to forget this moral shi*e. "Oh he should pay his taxes like everyone else..." Everyone else would avoid it too if they could for fecks sake..

...and before you know it we'd be an economic powerhouse like Greece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

If a FF politician did this in Ireland he'd be strung up, and rightly so

It amazes me that more people aren't more annoyed at that other scumbag Bono paying his companies taxes in Holland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

davet82 wrote: »
    He hasn't actually broken any laws

Then its nothing but sensationalist sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

smash wrote: »

But if you earn £30 k a year what percentage of your earnings are you paying?

• Advertisement

Before everyone dies, they should move their families to Gibraltar. There's no inheritance tax there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Non-story.

He's a stand-up comedian not an elected official of any sort, who on earth cares what he earns or what tax he pays (all legal).

In general, people have the principles they can afford. It's all well and good saying millionaires should pay higher tax rates than most people, let's see your opinion if you become a millionaire yourself. It mightn't seem so fair to you then.

It's like the eco hippies complaining about wealthy people driving Range Rovers in suburbia. It's easy to complain about something you'll never be able to afford anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

smash wrote: »

Maybe we should all adopt a pro-rata payment based on Jimmy Carrs tax liability and then close the country down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

no, they're just populist twats. there is absolutely nothing stopping them from paying more tax voluntarily.

Of course him doing that doesn't actually address the underlying issue at all.
    But hey, why go to the bother of thinking things through when you can just take the other populist side of the argument and then in all seriousness play the "hurrr populism" card.

Maybe we should all adopt a pro-rata payment based on Jimmy Carrs tax liability and then close the country down.

Good plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Why isn't everyone giving out to the British government over this. How many nameless bankers and such are doing the exact same, and it will never make the headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭banquet

This is a total joke. If anything, this has done society a service because it has raised the profile of something that politicians need to legislate for. It is their duty to make sure the law requires people to pay tax.

And to all the people criticising Carr, what's the difference between this and the hundreds of thousands of Irish crossing the border every year to avoid paying their tax in the form of excise duties and VAT, thus depriving both local business and the revenue of money.

And what about the forty odd percent who haven't paid the household charge which is just plain tax evasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

I think this highlights the difference between Ireland and the UK. Here it's always a case of get away with what you can-
    We have had a succession of leading politicians who should all have resigned on moral grounds not to mention the ones that should actually have been put in jailed, and yet all have kept their jobs and perks.
    In the UK if somebody is found out they are generally held to account and forced to do the 'honorable' thing. Weather that be a public apology or resignation.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

Of course him doing that doesn't actually address the underlying issue at all.
    But hey, why go to the bother of thinking things through when you can just take the other populist side of the argument and then in all seriousness play the "hurrr populism" card.

the underlying issue of people being entitled to keep money they earned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

I wouldnt do it Carr style, id move to a much much lower tax country.

somewhere sunny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I have to laugh at the high horse brigade in here. Fair enough if he did something illegal to avoid paying tax then he's in the wrong and should be punished. But he didn't. He was well within his rights to do what he did so its not his fault, it's the systems fault.
    I guarantee if anyone of the posters in here became a millionaire tomorrow NONE of them would say "You know what? I don't think I pay enough tax. I think I'll pay more out of the goodness of my heart"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I think there is something of an ethical* argument in favour of paying your way. Carr attended state-funded Grammar Schools as a kid, then Cambridge University, so he and his Irish parents enjoyed the benefits of living in the UK.

The thing is: he also worked for years before finding success as a comedian, and only joined the K2 scheme relatively recently. Up to that point, he did pay his share of tax; I don't know how much, exactly, but I doubt that he still owes the UK government anything by now, no matter how you reckon it. Past a certain point, taxation switches from "pay your way" to "take advantage of your success".

* not "moral", David - learn the difference. "Morals" are imposed by authority, while Ethics are a voluntary agreement between you and your peers.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Fishooks12 wrote: »

People availing of legal tax reliefs have our county f***ed? That's absolute nonsense and you know that well.

Are you telling me that you don't/wouldn't avail of any tax relief/loophole which is/became available which allowed you to pay less tax?

Sure why don't you give up your tax credits and bow to the almighty tax man.

prinz wrote: »
    ...and before you know it we'd be an economic powerhouse like Greece.

You cant compare a country where nobody paid any tax mostly illegally to people availing of legal tax relief/avoidance opportunities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

banquet wrote: »
    This is a total joke. If anything, this has done society a service because it has raised the profile of something that politicians need to legislate for. It is their duty to make sure the law requires people to pay tax.

As it happens thee dodgy off-shore accounting practices are under the microscope right now and HMCR have got something called GAAR on the way

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/news/news-211111.htm
    http://sbnca.wordpress.com/2012/06/19/jimmy-carr-tax-avoider-would-the-gaar-catch-the-k2-tax-scheme/

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

he was right to do it, he shouldnt have to apologise

Real Life wrote: »
    he was right to do it, he shouldnt have to apologise

To be honest I'd have given to fingers to anyone asking me to apologise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

the underlying issue of people being entitled to keep money they earned?

Or the one where, in america at least, the rate of tax on the very wealthy is at the lowest it's been in decades and the country has a large deficit?

You know, the not retarded conclusion a person could draw by paying attention for more than half a second?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Isn't that what the Shinners have been trying to do with claiming all the Westminster benefits etc.?

The New Phase of the Struggle - Screw John Bull for every penny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

To be honest I'd have given to fingers to anyone asking me to apologise.

he may aswel give the fingers to his career while he's at then

• Advertisement

davet82 wrote: »
    he may aswel give the fingers to his career while he's at then

Do you really think enough people actually care to end his career. Its only a hand full (relatively speaking) of fools who even batted an eye lid once they saw it was legal.

Advertisement