Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jimmy Carr tax dodger - would you do the same?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Dean09 wrote: »
    He shouldn't have apologised for doing something perfectly legal. If I could do it too I would. And anybody that says different is a liar. Why pay more tax than you have to??

Because that's what his PR agent probably told him to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Pedant wrote: »
    It's not morally wrong to avoid paying tax [...]

It is when you still avail of public infrastructure and services.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

twinQuins wrote: »

As was pointed out, even with his 1% contribution he still paid substantially more towards these things than the average Joe. So if we operate by your concept that you are only allowed to avail of these services if you've made a 'contribution' up to a certain point, then you'll find he is more entitled to these services than the average joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Taxes are percentage based for a reason - to achieve some kind of fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think the vast majority would do the same. Im sure there are prominent news readers and newspaper editors that are reporting about Jimmy Carr that are doing the exact same :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I think the vast majority would do the same. Im sure there are prominent news readers and newspaper editors that are reporting about Jimmy Carr that are doing the exact same :rolleyes:

I certainly would, hell I'd even do it illegally if I thought I'd get away with it.

I am however, fully tax compliant:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

As was pointed out, even with his 1% contribution he still paid substantially more towards these things than the average Joe. So if we operate by your concept that you are only allowed to avail of these services if you've made a 'contribution' up to a certain point, then you'll find he is more entitled to these services than the average joe.

I never said that. I said you've no expectation to avail of public services/infrastructure if you don't pay taxes.

You don't decide what rate you pay, the government does.
    Cue rolleyes and numerous posters trotting out 'do-gooder' or some other ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Kess73 wrote: »
    David Cameron showed his own double standards last night. He was very quick to single out Carr and pass comment on him in public, but last night it turned out that Gary Barlow, a friend of Cameron and a very public backer of David Cameron's political party, has been quite creative with his own finances and David Cameron when asked said he would not comment on another person's business in public.

Guess it was wrong in Cameron's eyes for Carr to do it, but it was fine when Gary Barlow did it, and it was fine when David Cameron's father did it.

Barlow is a public supporter of the conservative party and has just been given an OBE.
    The double standards from Cameron will come back and bite him in the arse, he's looking like a complete tít over this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I never said that. I said you've no expectation to avail of public services/infrastructure if you don't pay taxes.

Cue rolleyes and numerous posters trotting out 'do-gooder' or some other ****e.

He does pay.
    And it seems the government decided more than one rate, he simply decided to avail of one over the other.

And that's just keeping things simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

Would I?
    Yes, in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Scriptiee

ruthloss wrote: »
    Would I?
    Yes, in a heartbeat.

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Just because someone structures their affairs around bad laws does not mean they are right to structure their affairs that way.

I am sick to death of paying my tax at source only to see these rich feckers deciding how much they would like to pay. These loopholes need to be closed down pronto

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Jimmy Carr seems to have made a silk purse out of a sow's ear through this whole business - 8 Out Of 10 Cats drew much higher viewing figures last week, and it's raised his profile yet further. He's gone for the "mea maxima culpa" strategy, deflating criticism by criticising himself first:
    I’ve been dishing it out for years, it’s about time I got some.
    I hate to sound like I’m passing the buck, but I’ll tell you who I blame for this whole mess – me. It’s entirely my fault.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

Anyone know what loophole he used ? Just asking :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Yep, pay £600k to a firm of accountants to set up the following

- UK earners 'quit' their job
    - They then sign new employment contracts with offshore shell companies
    - The offshore companies 'rehire' their new employee to the UK but take their earnings
    - The offshore company pays the employee a much lower salary each month, but 'loans' them several thousand pounds
    - These loans can be written down as tax liabilities, thus substantially reducing tax payable to the Government

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2012-06-20/how-the-k2-tax-avoidance-scheme-works/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I certainly would, hell I'd even do it illegally if I thought I'd get away with it.

I am however, fully tax compliant:(.
    For some reason I don't believe you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

ScumLord wrote: »
    For some reason I don't believe you.

Mods never do .............

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Just a question, assuming you're old enough to remember the lady in question, if I called you a "Thatcherite" would you regard it as an insult or a compliment?

Just curious.

Advertisement