Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a few adult frogs, can anyone help?

Options
  • 22-06-2012 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey,

I already posted this in another section on boards, but this section may be more relevant!

I'm looking for A few adult frogs, My little brother is fascinated by frogs but even though he is 11, he has never seen one, I'd love to catch a few and let him find them in the back garden, he'd be so excited, he's out most evenings looking but no luck, He won't be allowed keep them, but I'm sure he'll do everything he can do to get them to settle in his garden pond!

Any help is greatly appreciated Thanks

Anywhere in Dublin or surrounding county's is fine and any week day morning suits me to collect

Frogs from a petshop are €10-15 but they won't survive in the wild, so I would pay that for Irish frogs!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I have a tank full of tadpoles that are nearly froglets and I have a few adult frogs which bred last spring BUT i could look all day and night and not find them and it is illegal to keep them anyway. i only put mine in the tank so the fish wouldnt eat them. i am releasing them back ina few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kevbyrne123

I have a tank full of tadpoles that are nearly froglets and I have a few adult frogs which bred last spring BUT i could look all day and night and not find them and it is illegal to keep them anyway. i only put mine in the tank so the fish wouldnt eat them. i am releasing them back ina few weeks

I understand the legal situation, thank you though
    Fairplay for looking after the tadpoles!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

It would be pointless to take adult frogs from one pond and try to introduce them to a new pond, Im afraid. Hearts in the right place though. :)

Frogs will always return to the pond/ place that they were born in, to breed in the spring, so adult frogs wont stay if moved to a new place. Best to get spawn/ tadpoles...

As mentioned before its ilegal to take frogs/ spawn as theyre protected.

I wonder if organisations- like the irish wildlife trust, have the 'power' to introduce spawn/ tadpoles to suitable ponds, as a matter of conservation/ colony establishment??

They could monitor them etc... thereby gaining useful information for an 'irish frog relocation/ re-establishment programme' or something to that effect. :D:D Hope this doesnt sound stupid. :o

Might be worth a phonecall. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

If the pond is suitable and habitat in your garden is suitable you garden will attract frogs. I have two small wildlife ponds, several bogs, wildflower meadow in my small garden. I have numerous frogs in the garden. If you want frogs in the garden that is the way to do it.
    Releasing frogs you have captured into a garden that is not suitable will most likely lead to the death of the frogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Traonach wrote: »
    I have two small wildlife ponds, several bogs, wildflower meadow in my small garden.

Jaays, Traonach, I think your definition of 'small' is way different to mine! :eek:

I have a patch of grass, a patch of patio, and a brown bin in my small garden.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

OP, I think you'll get the same answers no matter where you ask the question:
    It is illegal to move frogs from their home pond.
    A frog can die of stress induced heart failure when captured.
    Presumably your brother would want to handle the frog; which is likely to cause more stress and increase the risk of it dying.
    If your garden were suitable frog habitat you'd be likely to have frogs already.
    No one is going to help you engage in an illegal activity that is likely to wind up with dead frogs.

As I said before; find out a good frog habitat, pack a lunch, and take your brother on a nature walk to find frogs. Do not touch or interfere with the frogs; watch them and then leave them be.

People in the API forum have given you information on keeping pet frogs, if you wish to do so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Dont remove frogs from the garden or wild,and try to transplant them elsewhere.

They wont survive and also they will allways want to return to where they were born,so that they can mate and lay spawn.

Appoligies,my last post removed as I posted in the wrong thread.

D'oh...:o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Love the pic, Paddy. There's a lot of life going on in there! What are the little white things on the leaves, pond snails?

kylith wrote: »
    Love the pic, Paddy. There's a lot of life going on in there! What are the little white things on the leaves, pond snails?

My missus says they are indeed pond snails.:)

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    OP, I think you'll get the same answers no matter where you ask the question:
    It is illegal to move frogs from their home pond.
    A frog can die of stress induced heart failure when captured.
    Presumably your brother would want to handle the frog; which is likely to cause more stress and increase the risk of it dying.
    If your garden were suitable frog habitat you'd be likely to have frogs already.
    No one is going to help you engage in an illegal activity that is likely to wind up with dead frogs.

As I said before; find out a good frog habitat, pack a lunch, and take your brother on a nature walk to find frogs. Do not touch or interfere with the frogs; watch them and then leave them be.

People in the API forum have given you information on keeping pet frogs, if you wish to do so.

Indeed,
    I started this thread before the other thread finished, so I know there are a lot of duplicate replies!
    I didn't foresee this been such an issue as it has turned out,
    I just thought someone might have an abundance of frogs and might share the experience,
    And I wouldn't like to bring the forum into disrepute by encouraging anything illegal on the forum,
    so the original question is answered!
    If anyone else has any suggestions for me, then please PM me,

Thanks again to everyone

This fella gave me a bit of a surprise today,didnt expect to see him resting in the shade so far away from the pond.
    He just hopped off into the plants when I went to move myself.:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    This fella gave me a bit of a surprise today,didnt expect to see him resting in the shade so far away from the pond.
    He just hopped off into the plants when I went to move myself.:)

Very cool, look at the size of him! !
    your an awful tease,

I saw one today but it was busy road so I dare say he wouldn't have lasted long,
    I couldn't have stopped safely,
    Surely it wouldn't be considered illegal to save one from certain death on the road to bring him to a new home??
    Stupid law,
    I rang petco (big pet shop) asking of they could import frogs that could live outside in this country and they weren't much use I'm afraid,
    Who would have thought it would be so feckin difficult to find a few feckin frogs??

Any other ideas folks?

Very cool, look at the size of him! !
    your an awful tease,

I saw one today but it was busy road so I dare say he wouldn't have lasted long,
    I couldn't have stopped safely,
    Surely it wouldn't be considered illegal to save one from certain death on the road to bring him to a new home??
    Stupid law,
    I rang petco (big pet shop) asking of they could import frogs that could live outside in this country and they weren't much use I'm afraid,
    Who would have thought it would be so feckin difficult to find a few feckin frogs??

Any other ideas folks?

Bring your little brother out to the rock pools in Skerries and show him all the starfish,crabs,hermit crabs,shrimp and guppies that are swimming around in the rock pools.

Thousands upon thousands of them out there at the moment,as they are all breeding.:)

That will take his mind off the frogs.;):D

Or you could bring him shore angling/beach fishing and catch him some dogfish or smoothhound (members of the shark family).:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

I have a pond with I'd say at least 20-30 tadpoles that are getting quite mature. Am I going to be overrun with frogs in a few weeks or will they disperse once they become frogs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Since your planning on setting up the pond I'd suggest releasing them into the curraghs pools ( full of frogs) or into a bog before they fully develop into frogs . :)

Where about in the curragh are the pools with frogs??
    That just down the road from where my bro lives, we may take a walk over to have a look!!
    Thanx

Advertisement