Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Garda Station - Open Day Tomorrow (Saturday) 11-3

Options
  • 22-06-2012 11:24am

Hey all,

Just got a heads up that there's to be an open day at the Garda Station tomorrow, from 11am to 3pm.

I'm not fully sure what it will entail (perhaps someone here may have more information on it) but should be a good laugh and a decent way to pass the day for anyone interested in the Gardaí/Emergency Services.

Two years ago (September 11th, 2010) they had an open day that was a massive success. It was within the car park at the station and had representatives/equipment from most units of the Gardaí at it (horses, boats, riot gear, etc. and the helicopter made an appearance towards the end of the day, too).

Last year (November 6th, 2011) they went all out with a much bigger display that incorporated practically all of the surrounding services (Garda, Fire & Rescue, River Rescue, Civil Defence, etc.) and took over the two car parks either side of the station, aswell as the car park at the Abbey, too. It was done under the guise of a Road Safety Awareness day (and as such featured the RSA logo everywhere). Despite demonstrations and games and other such novelties, it didn't seem to attract much of an audience.

I've no idea what tomorrow is about at all, but hopefully it'll be something interesting. Personally speaking, as someone who has a genuine interest in all of the emergency services, I think these kind of days are a great idea and a great way for people to interact with the services/Gardaí.

Will anyone here be heading along?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

Thanks for this KKV, might pop down with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Thanks for this. Hadn't heard anything about this till now. Defo going to head down and check it out hopefully it will be a good day. Id love to see these events and open days getting more advertising and notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Must remember not to have loose change in my pockets when I get into the demo car that rolls on the jig if it's there like last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Good to hear that such interaction between the Gardai and community is going on. Wouldnt mind a trip to the regional Garda HQ myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

Despite demonstrations and games and other such novelties, it didn't seem to attract much of an audience.

I dont know why there wasnt more people there.. it was brilliant.

i'll be sure to pop down tomorrow

• Advertisement

DYLF wrote: »
    I dont know why there wasnt more people there.. it was brilliant.

Find it strange myself. Last year was definitely a vast improvement over the first one two years ago (but drew a much smaller audience). Odd.

Lack of notice, is to blame, in my opinion.

Did anyone head up? I went up around 2pm and thought it was actually very good great chatting to the lads and seeing all the gear. Pity the weather was not great. All the kids that were there when i was there seemed to love it.

I thought it was quite good. I was there for all of it (arrived just before 11, and stayed til around 3.30 or so). Seemed that every time they were just about to get a decent crowd hanging around, the rain came and washed the people away.

That said, they did have a decent turnout throughout the day, so that's a good thing, and it was good to see people enjoying it.

Spent a fair bit of my time with the Garda that was on the Bike (when I wasn't talking to/photographing the RSU or Community Police). He was a sound chap, and was interesting to talk to. Didn't mind the camera, either (which never hurts).

I enjoyed it. That's the third time in three years they've had an open day of sorts down there, so I really hope they do it again next year and start to make it a proper annual day (should probably try to do it at the same time every year though?).

C0CB076506314970A4F72460C067FE5B-0000333410-0002907313-00800L-282D8259EDA647C389C410B2EBA007D0.jpg

It would be great to see it as a proper annual event every year even make it bigger by incorpoating the fire and ambulance service into it but I have to say I really found it very interesting.

I also think it could do with a bit more advertising. I dont think a lot of people knew about it which is a pity.

• Advertisement

Well last year it was organised by the RSA and had practically every service at it (Garda, Fire, Civil Defence, St. John Ambulance, Drogheda River Rescue, Boyne Fishermen, etc. along with a rally crowd, some F1 fan club that had an F1 car with them, a few vintage cars, etc. along with a large RSA Trailer that had a few arcade-style games and such in it).

So it was a much, much bigger event, but it drew very few people (in comparison to the Garda Open Day the year before, which was very similar to yesterday, but drew a massive audience).

It's a strange one. Definitely needs a bit more advertising and more notice, too.

Also, for anyone who may be interested, The Fire Service, River Rescue and some others will be at Scotch Hall from 1-6 doing a 'CPRathon'. Not entirely sure what it will entail, but it should be a decent photo op for anyone into the emergency services.

(That's on Saturday, by the way)

Advertisement