Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this covered by GP scheme?

Options
  • 22-06-2012 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hiya ladies just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this.
    I know your check ups are free with the GP when you're pregnant but I want to go to the doctor today for pains I'm getting to check and make sure it's not a kidney infection or something so it is pregnancy related but not a check up. Is that still a free visit or will I have to pay?
    Just wanna know should I expect to bring cash with me or not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Once it's pregnancy related it's free. Hope you feel better.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends if they decide it is not pregnancy related depending on the doctor you might need to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

depends on your doctor, you might have to pay. AS far as I remember only 6 visits are covered by maternity scheme though. ( But most docs will let yu away with a few more in my experience)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭messynessie

Thanks guys :) I just mentioned to the receptionist I'm pregnant and I said to the doctor (not my usual gp) that I wasn't due a check up for another 2 weeks and explained why I was there and he said nothing about it so I'll leave it be. If I end up having to pay for a visit later I don't mind too much.
    Glad I went, protein in my urine, have to go back next week for test results but lots of resting up til then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

In my experience you get away with 1 or 2 if you have a nice GP. Sounds like you did....
    Hope you get plenty of rest and are better soon :)
    AS UTIs can be common in pregnancy they prob will cover it.. AFAIRemember it was a chest infection visit that I had to pay for which I did not mind at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

My gp charged me a reduced rate for a kidney infection and full price when I went to him when my bad was back because it was pre-existing and he said it might not be pregnancy related. I hadn't been to him with my back since the initial injury three years ago!

Advertisement