Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why cinemas can go to hell, and I will pirate [** MOD WARNING IN OP **]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

asinine rubbish?

my local cinema is filty. toilets blocked up, not checked regularly, stink to high heavens!

sticky floor in the screen rooms, some of the seats smell, many are broken and have never been fixed.

i know there are deals out there these days, but for most people you still have to spend the guts of 15 euros, if not more, to go to the cinema

most of the time i go, there are large groups of teens who seem to prefer to disrput the enjoyment of the film for others rather than watch the bloody thing.

just because your experience of your local cinema is amazing, doesnt mean everyones is.

give me a nice fire, a blu ray/dvd, a few mates, some beers and a take away anyday over a trip to my local cinema!
    Well I own dozens of blu-rays but still find the cinema to be an infinitely more desirable place to watch a movie. There are about 3 suburban cinemas within a few miles of me but I still prefer to travel into the city to see a movie in a place like the IFI, Lighthouse or Savoy, and not once in any of these places have I experienced the same issues as you. I genuinely think that more film fans should go out of their way to get a better experience. I had to make time in a relatively busy week to see Himizu (plus I'll be buying the blu-ray) because I knew it would be the kind of film that would be ideal in such a setting and would need such support so that similar movies could be shown in the future. I'm not sure how far away from Dublin city you are, but I really don't think people in Dublin county have any right to complain about the quality of the cinema experience given how a far superior cinema may be a simple bus trip away. I read this thread and so many of the posts (not necessarily yours) seem like a shallow excuse for piracy and generalizations of the cinema experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I like the cinema, but why does it take so long to get a popcorn and coke???

This is why i pirate my own popcorn and smuggle them into the cinema.

Link please:D I use Lidl,big bag of jellies for 65c,same size bag is over €3 in the cinema.

I'll go see TDKR on the big screen,I'm tempted by the new Spiderman movie but it won't be the end of the world if I don't go see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Thankfully my local cinema is a pleasure to visit. Have not had a bad experience there yet and long may it continue. Most of the issue posted about bad experiences appear to revolve around the actions of other cinema goers. I think in general society in this country is broken. Parents don't want to take responsibility for their children and a large portion of kids have simply no respect for anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Not living in the capital means you don't get hit quite as bad the OP's post. I usually go to the Omniplexes in Wexford, Carlow or Kilkenny or Storm in Waterford.
    While I have found that the annoying "3d only after 6pm" situation is getting more and and more common, the ridiculous ticket prices, the requirement to become a collector of 3d glasses and the endless ads before the show isnt really an issue in these cinemas. At some films, there can be one or two ads and a trailer before the off, for others there might be 10 minutes of it at most. But it isnt at a stage where Im considering going into every film late.
    I fully agree about 3d though. With every film I see, Im becoming more and more convinced it will be a fad. The experience is almost always worse than seeing the film in 2d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

When i went to see Amazing Spider-man the other night, there was two trailers and one ad.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

jpcarlow wrote: »
    When i went to see Amazing Spider-man the other night, there was two trailers and one ad.

Been hearing stuff like that from a lot of people. Got maybe 3 trailers and no ads at all at the screening I was at. Very surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Going to the cinema in Ireland is becoming a horrendous experience.

I was at Mahon Point cinema on Sunday night to see Spiderman, we were in Screen 1 which I would think is one of the larger screen in the complex but the place was stinking. The smell was only aweful in there.

We eventually moved towards the back of the room but thats not really solving the issue of the smell of puke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I was at Mahon Point cinema on Sunday night to see Spiderman, we were in Screen 1 which I would think is one of the larger screen in the complex but the place was stinking. The smell was only aweful in there.

We eventually moved towards the back of the room but thats not really solving the issue of the smell of puke.

Funny enough I actually like Mahon Point's cinema a lot. The Omniplex in Clonmel at home is fine, but anytime I'm shopping or with friends in Cork we usually go there to watch something. (or to watch sexy mammies with their babies during the week) ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

The Cinemas in Ireland are far better than they were 20 years ago.
    Yes,they overcharge on snacks but that has built into their price structure due to the monopoly of the big distributors.
    In the early weeks of a new release the studio might be taking 80% of the box office, this is why big opening weekends are so important to them.

So with the Cinema only making €2 on your ass in the seat, you can see why popcorn & Coke sales are so important to the business model.
    So someone who sneaks in snacks or just doesn't buy any is almost as harmful to the Cinema's bottom as line as those of us who pirate.

I believe the most harm is done when we share our pirate material with friends who may have been potential paying customers.
    In my experience less than 1 out of every 10 people posses the skills to pirate, the industry can probably suck this up, it's when people share their wares for free is when significant losses occur.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Been hearing stuff like that from a lot of people. Got maybe 3 trailers and no ads at all at the screening I was at. Very surprising.
    yeah i was pleasantly suprised as when i went to see Avengers in Liffey Valley there was 4 trailers and a good few ads.

I was hoping to see something for Wreck it Ralph though, figured there was a good chance of seeing it with Spider-man seeing as Marvel are owned by disney (granted it was a sony, not a marvel, film but still)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Mahon Point is a decent, albeit expensive enough cinema. I bet if you had politely complained they would have sorted something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Buy the movie; forced to watch 5 minuntes of "piracy is bad" warnings.
    Pirate the movie; watch it straight away.

=-=

Went to see Spiderman3 in Cineworld there recently. It wasn't bad, but I found the seats to be not comfortable.
    The seats in Vue, Liffey Valley are comfy, but there is a higher amount of scumbags there, most of whom like to annoy the other people in the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

the_syco wrote: »
    Buy the movie; forced to watch 5 minuntes of "piracy is bad" warnings.
    Pirate the movie; watch it straight away.

=-=

Went to see Spiderman3 in Cineworld there recently. It wasn't bad, but I found the seats to be not comfortable.
    The seats in Vue, Liffey Valley are comfy, but there is a higher amount of scumbags there, most of whom like to annoy the other people in the room.

Tell me of a movie - not a rental copy, the version you buy - which has 5 minute of unskippable anti-piracy content please. I'd say it was one minute max.

The only time I ever experienced unskippable content was on a rental copy of a film in which I had to watch some Unicef clip with Gwyneth Paltrow. Torture obviously, but that was the only occasion.

Either way, watching a few minutes of unskippable anti-piracy content - which doesn't happen as far as I can see - is hardly a reasonable justification for illegal downloading. MP3s don't have any such issues but people just conjure different excuses for their illegal downloading there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Feckin woman in the Cinema today let her kids run around the cinema for the 2nd half of the movie. It wasn't too annoying for me as it was around an area that didn't intrude with my view-line, was in the Savoy screen 2 if anyone's familiar with it. Not the type of person to do it but it was the closest I've come to giving out to someone in the cinema, especially when one of them stood directly in front of the screen and the woman just sat there. When does school start back again? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Liam O wrote: »
    Feckin woman in the Cinema today let her kids run around the cinema for the 2nd half of the movie. It wasn't too annoying for me as it was around an area that didn't intrude with my view-line, was in the Savoy screen 2 if anyone's familiar with it. Not the type of person to do it but it was the closest I've come to giving out to someone in the cinema, especially when one of them stood directly in front of the screen and the woman just sat there. When does school start back again? :(

so why not complain to staff and get her chucked? I cant understand why people complain about others ruining the cinema experience then wont step up and do something about it, all you have to do it go out and say it to someone and they'll have someone come in and look, have a word and then chuck em if it continues. I worked in a cinema years ago and you'd be amazed how quickly people will stfu when they have a flashlight shined in their face and all attention is on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

I've never experienced anything like that but I usually go to late night shows so I avoid younger kids and teenagers. I wouldn't confront her either but I would complain her and get a lot of satisfaction when management threw herself and her kids out. I can't stand people that have no consideration for others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

When I was seeing Spiderman in Vue the other day some fella had brought his young sons. I'd say they were about 3 and 5. Well clearly the 3 year old felt the same way I did about the film because after about 45 minutes he couldn't stand it anymore and started balling his eyes out. Good Guy Dad brought him outside until he calmed down. If you're reading this, thank you.

Why can't all parents be this considerate?

I second going to get staff though. I'd never suffer silently through some inconsiderate idiot ruining the film for everyone, I dunno how others do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

It's a vicious circle, really.

A cinema is a business and the more people that pirate stuff, like I and a lot of others do, then they're obviously going to have to look to other means to raise money.....

Yes, the movie industry makes billions each year, but that's worldwide. The more you pirate, the more you damage the actual cinema industry. The more it's damaged, the more it'll have to raise it's prices.

I pirate sometimes, but I still love going to see a movie in a cinema.

I don't think thats really the situation. In fact, the movie and cinema industry is about greed, on a massive scale. Do you think if everybody stopped pirating movies tomorrow the cinema experience would suddenly improve? or cinema admission prices would drop? or they'd show fewer adverts? or the price of cinema drinks and food would fall? No none of this would happen because they want to continue making a lot of money. They battle against piracy because the movie industry want to protect and increase their massive profits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

cinemas should set up some kind of text alert system for their patrons, have a number at the counter so you can just text the staff that someone is acting the maget in a screen, some people are just assholes and will confront some one if they suspect they ratted them out, their few and far between but it only takes one,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

don ramo wrote: »
    cinemas should set up some kind of text alert system for their patrons, have a number at the counter so you can just text the staff that someone is acting the maget in a screen, some people are just assholes and will confront some one if they suspect they ratted them out, their few and far between but it only takes one,

Yeah but the last thing you want is people taking out their bright phones in a dark cinema, that drives me nuts....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Yeah but the last thing you want is people taking out their bright phones in a dark cinema, that drives me nuts....
    well itll only happen when their disturbed, save them having to annoy the 10 people beside them while the scoot out and complain,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

well itll only happen when their disturbed, save them having to annoy the 10 people beside them while the scoot out and complain,

Nah no need for this texting plan, ushers ideally should be assigned 5-6 screens each and walk around each one. After 5 or 6 runs, they should identify the screens that need no supervision and concentrate on the 2-3 screens that may require their presence and split their time between each one. The presence of the cinema's authority should deter horseplay.

Sadly though most ushers get lazy/bored and are usually out flirting with the girls at the till when i go to complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

yeah but what if people are texting complaining that people are texting complaining? who watches the texters :pac:

krudler wrote: »
    yeah but what if people are texting complaining that people are texting complaining? who watches the texters :pac:
    "This cinema is afraid of me. I have seen its true face (through the light from the screen) . The aisles are extended gutters and the gutters are full of Coca-Cola and when the butter finally pours over, all the popcorn will drown. The accumulated filth of all their texts and murmurs will foam up about their waists and all the tweens and scumbags will look up and shout "ANTO!"... and I'll whisper "Quiet, this is a cinema".

I'm all for phones being taken off people as they enter a screening. Give 'em a ticket so that they can pick it up afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

If cinemas just keep one usher in each screening a lot of bad behaviour would be nipped in the bud. But they don't care. I can't understand why people pay to see a movie but just spend their time tweeting and texting and why there are no warnings anymore (well not in Odeon or Vue anyway) on screen to switch off phones. It wouldn't bother me too much but with smartphones it's so distracting but again we live in a mé féin society and a lot of the time you just just get a mouthful of verbal abuse if you say anything to them!
    I love going to the cinema but now avoid weekends, avoid peak times, avoid the opening weeks of a popular movie, try to avoid cinemas in shopping centres or places where teenagers congregate, try to avoid cinemas around areas which are populated with scum bags - I shouldn't have to do this but there's so much anti-social behaviour and a complete lack of respect for other people and for authority now that it's the only way I can find where I can watch a movie in peace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

"This cinema is afraid of me. I have seen its true face (through the light from the screen) . The aisles are extended gutters and the gutters are full of Coca-Cola and when the butter finally pours over, all the popcorn will drown. The accumulated filth of all their texts and murmurs will foam up about their waists and all the tweens and scumbags will look up and shout "ANTO!"... and I'll whisper "Quiet, this is a cinema".

This post deserves more love imo. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Tell me of a movie - not a rental copy, the version you buy - which has 5 minute of unskippable anti-piracy content please. I'd say it was one minute max.
    Sorry, I meant rent the movie. Most of the movies which I bought were VHS, which luckliy I could fast forward.
    people just conjure different excuses for their illegal downloading there.
    I don't get people who give excuses for this.

=-=

Work in a cinema four or five years ago, and used to hunt for travellers from the local halting site in the cinema. Would usually catch a few of them. They'd either run by security, or sneak though the back yard.

As for ticket prices, for the most part cinemas get only 10% or 15% of the ticket price, and thus make their money from the snacks and popcorn. I think I stopped going to the cinema regularly when they stopped putting butter on my popcorn, and only go now to see films that I can't wait to come out on DVD and/or Bluray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Either way, watching a few minutes of unskippable anti-piracy content

Unskippable ... you sure about that? ;)

CL7 wrote: »
    This post deserves more love imo. :)
    Thank you :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Loving the rorshach quote :pac: I still like the cinema. Long as I go early enough, not too much of a rip off, bring my own snacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

d@rk l0rd wrote: »
    If cinemas just keep one usher in each screening a lot of bad behaviour would be nipped in the bud. But they don't care.

They would need to employ extra staff in that case! Sure they have got rid of the box office staff in many cinemas with just a a machine and the concession stand to purchase tickets.

I know, so I can't see it happening anytime soon. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Just on the food and drink thing, has anyone noticed that Movies-At are trying to enforce a no external food and drink policy these days.

**** like this really pisses me off. **** you if you don't like that I wont spend 20 quid on popcorn 2 drinks and a bag of sweets.

nofood.jpg

Any one seen it being enforced on the ground? I for one will continue to bring my own popcorn and drink and to hell with them. They are not a cafe or a restaurant where it would be understandable that one cannot bring their own grub on to the premises, as it is a cafe/restaurants primary purpose to sell food and drink. It's a cinemas primary purpose to screen movies....

I've never seen any sign like that at any cinema and have never had any issues bringing in my own drink (usually just a bottle of water) or snacks.
    Was in Movies@ Swords last week and I didn't notice them stopping anyone bringing in their own snacks.
    I rarely eat anything when I go to the cinema anyway, I go to watch a movie, not stuff my face with crap! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

One thing that ticks me off about the cinema is people kick the back of my seat.

Price would be another

If you go at peak times then it is very expensive. I try to go at off peak times, can often get in for around €6/€7 and it's much quieter too.
    Also Cineworld does the unlimited card for around €20 a month. The other cinemas should be doing this but when I ask them it's always the same reply that they value their customers' opinions and will consider it in the future (which never happens).

As for kicking seats, making excessing noise, talking and using phones - I would gladly pay a bit extra to any cinema that addressed these issues in a speedy manner.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

GavMan wrote: »
    Just on the food and drink thing, has anyone noticed that Movies-At are trying to enforce a no external food and drink policy these days.

**** like this really pisses me off. **** you if you don't like that I wont spend 20 quid on popcorn 2 drinks and a bag of sweets.

nofood.jpg

Any one seen it being enforced on the ground? I for one will continue to bring my own popcorn and drink and to hell with them. They are not a cafe or a restaurant where it would be understandable that one cannot bring their own grub on to the premises, as it is a cafe/restaurants primary purpose to sell food and drink. It's a cinemas primary purpose to screen movies....

I understand your frustration with this, as it's something I share, but the fault for this lies in the economic model that applies to money gained from screening films, where something like 90% of the ticket price for a film that's just been released goes to the film distributor, not the exhibiting venue. So to really get the value out of big hit films, cinemas have to keep showing them (and hope people still turn up to watch them!) for around 6 weeks.

Knowing this doesn't make it better, obviously, but it's always good to understand the root cause of a problem.

My biggest bugbear with cinemas is actually not the price but the terrible selection of food generally offered. If I'm going to be sitting down for two hours watching a screen, I don't need 1-2 litres of caffeinated beverage - because if I buy and drink that I'll spend half the film dying for a piss, and trying to decide whether I dash out (annoying people and missing bits of the film) or hold it in and hope I don't wet myself (annoying people and probably getting barred from the cinema). Similarly, I don't want feckin' cardboard nachoes and let's-pretend-it's-cheese-but-it's-more-like-rubber, or some gammy reject hotdog.

A few Odeon cinemas in the UK are copped on in this regard; their concession stands include stuff like dried fruit and nuts as well as sweets. The one in Swiss Cottage is particularly good, in that they have a coffee shop as part of the complex where you can collect pre-booked tickets, as well as a bar on the first floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Fysh wrote: »
    I understand your frustration with this, as it's something I share, but the fault for this lies in the economic model that applies to money gained from screening films, where something like 90% of the ticket price for a film that's just been released goes to the film distributor, not the exhibiting venue. So to really get the value out of big hit films, cinemas have to keep showing them (and hope people still turn up to watch them!) for around 6 weeks.

Knowing this doesn't make it better, obviously, but it's always good to understand the root cause of a problem.

I hear what your saying. You make some good points. So if the cinema charges more for tickets then the movie makes more money?
    Also, who gets the money from the adverts before the feature, cinema?
    As for the grub and drinks, well I can watching a movie without eating so it doesnt bother me, but I agree that the prices are outragous.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Kolido wrote: »
    I hear what your saying. You make some good points. So if the cinema charges more for tickets then the movie makes more money?
    Also, who gets the money from the adverts before the feature, cinema?
    As for the grub and drinks, well I can watching a movie without eating so it doesnt bother me, but I agree that the prices are outragous.

Advert money goes to the cinema AFAIK. The increased ticket price for 3d screenings (and additional cost of 3d glasses for cinemas that don't provide them free of charge) means the cinema gets a greater amount of money for their share, hence multiplexes in particular being so keen to push 3D screenings.

The whole sliding-scale split is why you sometimes get small cinemas that sell cheap tickets but only show films 6-8 weeks after they go on general release.

Am I the only one who really can't be bothered about food & drink in the cinema?

I like bringing in a soft drink and some sweets from time to time. But it'd be no great loss to me if I couldn't, either from them banning outside food or the prices being too high in the cinema. Besides the people who scoff like pigs can be an annoyance in itself.

If cinemas arent getting a big enough cut from the ticket sales that's not my problem. It wasn't me who made the deal to give distributors 90% of ticket price.

At the end of the day their fates are tied, if cinemas go out of business then the distributor will too. So if there's a problem with the revenue divvy then it's up to the cinema and the distributor to sit down and work out a better deal. Overpriced food and 30 minutes of ads arent the solution.

If cinemas arent getting a big enough cut from the ticket sales that's not my problem. It wasn't me who made the deal to give distributors 90% of ticket price.

At the end of the day their fates are tied, if cinemas go out of business then the distributor will too. So if there's a problem with the revenue divvy then it's up to the cinema and the distributor to sit down and work out a better deal. Overpriced food and 30 minutes of ads arent the solution.

Actually, if you want to go to a cinema screening of a film, it is your problem. If you're happy not going to the cinema that's one thing, but if you enjoy seeing films at the cinema and want to talk about what they are doing wrong it helps to understand the basis of their business rather than just trying to rely on the "I am consumer, hear me roar!" approach.

Uh no, it isn't my problem.

Its like a shopkeeper doubling his prices because he lost ten grand last night on the horses. Boo hoo, sell your sob story somewhere else. Not my problem. Work it out yourself.

If im paying a tenner for a ticket and the cinema is only getting 1 or 2 quid out of it, that's not my problem. That's his problem for agreeing to such a bad deal. Sit down with the distributor and work out a better deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Uh no, it isn't for agreeing to such a bad deal. Sit down with the distributor and work out a better deal.

That may be so, but not too many people like a severed horse's head at the foot of their bed, and of course we have to support Scientology, whether we like it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

e_e wrote: »
    Am I the only one who really can't be bothered about food & drink in the cinema?

I like bringing in a soft drink and some sweets from time to time. But it'd be no great loss to me if I couldn't, either from them banning outside food or the prices being too high in the cinema. Besides the people who scoff like pigs can be an annoyance in itself.

I don't understand eating during a film, especially the kinds of food that cinemas sell. Popcorn is salty and makes you thirsty, so you need a litre's worth of coke to make it through the screening, making you to piss like racehorse. It annoys me when I see the same people running up and down the aisle during a film, disturbing everyone because they can't sit and watch a film for 2 hours without stuffing their face.

Buying food also adds enormously to the cost of cinemagoing. I mean I went to see three films this week, costing me about a little over 15 euro in total. If I was buying food as well I'd easily have spent twice as much. The only thing I bring in is a bottle water usually filled from the tap at home. :D

I understand that popcorn is how cinemas make their money, but it's also contributed to making the cinemagoing experience into this big, expensive drama for many people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Lately my cinema experience is being ruined by the annoying people attending screenings whom always seem to be sitting behind me.

Come in late, disturb everyone making loads of noise and then chat for the next 90mins 2 hours swap seats because they need to be closer to chat to their other friend.
    Thus kicking and shaking the seats of the people in front of them!

Careful if you turn around and say anything!

Uh no, it isn't my problem.

Its like a shopkeeper doubling his prices because he lost ten grand last night on the horses. Boo hoo, sell your sob story somewhere else. Not my problem. Work it out yourself.

If im paying a tenner for a ticket and the cinema is only getting 1 or 2 quid out of it, that's not my problem. That's his problem for agreeing to such a bad deal. Sit down with the distributor and work out a better deal.

If you want cinemas to continue to exist, it is your problem that their business model depends on bringing in money from ancillary services like advertising before films and selling (crap) food at the concession stand - because if your contention is that most people don't want those things, then by extension the cinema has limited days left, meaning you don't get to watch films at the big screen.

I don't mean it in a "it's your problem and you must spend money on popcorn even if you don't want it", I mean it in a "as a part of the target audience for this service, a problem that threatens the viability of the service as a profit-making endeavour affects you" :) I do agree that cinemas should probably be looking for a better deal from distributors, though I have no idea whether that's feasible at a time when VOD is more popular than ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

In my experience, suburban cinemas are just terrible these days. Despite having better equipment than those of yesteryear, they're just horrible places to watch films, often full of knackery teenagers intent on disrupting the screening - the local cinema I grew up with was crap, but at least I could actually watch the film in peace.

Cinemas in town are fine, and we're fortunate to have such good independent cinemas like the IFI and The Lighthouse.

As for food/drink, I think the multiplex popcorn and cola experience is totally unnecessary, but I do like how you can bring a beer with you into some screenings in the IFI (though, the service in CafeBar in there has gone downhill in the past couple of years.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

That is a thing of beauty :D

My own additions to the topic, and I was going to start a thread on at the time. I went to The Avengers having purposely waited a few weeks after release so as to avoid any tossers. I did not take into account that a scummer family might also go to the cinema bringing their seven hundred kids, one of whom was a NINE MONTH OLD BABY!

Yep, that's right, a nine month old baby to The Avengers, that 7,546,982 decibel movie!

The second is Prometheus, the cinema was packed we were lucky to get seats when I noticed the seat was kind of warm. Then I heard the two tossers behind me talking and put 2+2 together. Obviously people had sat here and moved when they copped the lads behind. After what seemed like an age of their waffling on and Ringo Starr playing the drums with his feet on the back of my chair I snapped. "KEEP FúCKIN KICKING MY CHAIR AND MAKING NOISE AND I WILL DRAG YOU OUT OF THIS CINEMA MY FúCKIN SELF"

Not a peep from them the rest of the movie and they were the first to leave :pac:

Lastly given how expensive the cinema is and how conniving they are I have no time for them. One cinema here in derry had the run of it for years as they were the only one in town. I am sure it probably happened elsewhere but they used to give you alcohol wipes to wipe 3d glasses that numerous other people would have used which was disgusting and I only went to one 3d screening there as a result of it.

So yeah, I will go to the cinema the very odd time now for a big movie but would not bother generally

• Advertisement
Advertisement