Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why cinemas can go to hell, and I will pirate [** MOD WARNING IN OP **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

It all comes down to a complete breakdown in society really, kids not being brought up to respect others and authority, a complete mollycoddling of kids instead of disciplining them. So whether it's scumbags bringing babies into the cinema, kids shoving seats with their feet, talking and using phones and just being a nuisance it all comes down to the same thing. They can do whatever they want at home so why should it be any different to them at the cinema or on the street or anywhere else?

I just want to go to the cinema to watch a movie in peace, not to have to leave and miss part of the movie to complain (to staff who really don't care) and then feel stressed. I wouldn't approach these scumbags myself, you can't reason with them and a lot of the time you just get a mouthful of abuse. A lot of them are completely feral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I see where OP is coming from

My local cinema sometimes has only 3D films so therefor I have to pay extra which is absolute rubbish in my view. I dont want to see 3D films, I hate paying for it. Top of range tvs have all 3D these days hiking the price. I watched Wimbledon in 3D there recently since it was my first 3D sports viewing and I just couldnt believe how bad it was.

What put me of torrents is the long delay in getting some decent quality, I watched Men in black 3 there recently via some ones cam and it was awful.

What is the typical wait time in getting a proper quality of the latest movies out in the cinema, few weeks, few months? Is it really worth it?
    im not so sure

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't think there's anything worse than having your seat kicked. It's not something I've experienced much as an adult, but as a child I remember having many a film ruined by it. The culprit in most cases was usually a kid not much older than myself. I always used to think they did it deliberately. My mother would get up and give out to their parents and the kicking would stop for a few minutes before starting again, eventually forcing us to move. We could never understand why the parents of these little sh*ts didn't seem to care.

Now days I usually have a problem with guys pressing their foot or knee against the back of my seat. They probably don't realise that I can feel it, but it's very annoying. My most recent experience of this was in the IFI of all places, which isn't entirely surprising given how cramped some of the cinemas are in there are. I just moved to another seat after a minute. I totally agree that films should start with some sort of code of conduct or something.

Anyway, I think the big problem with modern cinemagoing is that it has lost its sacredness. In the past going to the cinema was something special since that was often the only way to really see a film. I'm reminded of Terence Davies's The Long Day Closes where he juxtaposes cinemagoers with churchgoers, implying that there was something spiritual about the cinematic experience. That seems utterly laughable today, but in the 1950s it probably had an element of truth to it. Going to the cinema back then was more of an entertainment activity than a social activity. Where as today I think cinemagoing is a purely social activity for many people. It's just something to do with their mates, girlfriend, family, etc. I don't think they care too much about the film itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

It's sad to read the litany of issues with modern cinemas, as a boy in the 60's I used to collect and sell jam jars, glass bottles and cardboard to get the cinema ticket price and the popcorn and especially the ice lollies would be unique to each cinema.

It was always a hassle though, massive queues, and we were not always a meek and gentle as some project in this thread as to modern lack of [cinema] Etiquette ~ we'd see mass evictions with several youths being manhandled out and there was one time the movie was so boring we rioted until they changed it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Personally I feel this whole thread has been blowing an issue out of proportion. If anything is sad to read it's that so many are writing off a potentially amazing experience just because their local cinema doesn't give a crap. I think laziness and apathy is the real issue here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Agreed. Minor annoyances aside, I can't remember the last time I had a bad experience in a cinema. And I go to the cinema several times a month, sometimes a week. Choice of film, cinema and time obviously has a lot to do with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I suppose give people a forum to complain and they will, I have been going to the cinema for over fifty years in this country and what I am reading here as regards people's behaviour is just ridiculous . Sure you will get the occassional loutish carry-on but nothing on the levels indicated here.

The type of movie will also dictate the type of audience behaviour, I am bringing the grandkids to the cinema now and it is madness but hilarious , just go with the flo and don't watch the movie , just watch the faces and the transition from horror- amazement- relief to laughter is a movie in itself . You remember you were once as innocent and selfcentered and out there as that and why we loved the cinema in the first place.

On the pirating issue , - it is theft without question - and there is no point in calling it otherwise .

But I am completely in favour of it and I fully understand why people do it. Personally I could'nt be bothered as I have a massive music and movie collection aquired legitimately over a life time ,plus I still love going to the 'pictures'. But if I was in my twenties with limited resources - who knows ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Somebody said something about the decline in quality of cinemas being down to the degradation of society. No. Murder and robbery and vandalism is caused by a degradation in society, decline in quality of cinemas is down to the employees not doing their fúcking job properly, not maintaining the area, cleaning properly, kicking out people who are acting the bollocks etc.

But personally i love the cinema, i usually go to the one in pavillions in swords or the UCI in coolock, i think they're both brilliant cinemas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

One thing I've learned from this thread is never ever go to a cinema in Dublin. Actually I might stop going to Dublin altogether with it's unruly bad mannered kids and the total breakdown in society up there. I've wanted to move there from Limerick for years. The grass is always greener folks.

CL7 wrote: »
    Actually I might stop going to Dublin altogether with it's unruly bad mannered kids and the total breakdown in society up there. I've wanted to move there from Limerick for years. The grass is always greener folks.

With an attitude like that i'd stay out in the sticks if i was you, never read more bollocks talk in one post on this before. The only thing that comes out of poxy limerick is bad news lol.

• Advertisement

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    With an attitude like that i'd stay out in the sticks if i was you, never read more bollocks talk in one post on this before. The only thing that comes out of poxy limerick is bad news lol.

LOL. Have a read of my post again. Do you think I was serious? :)

LOL. Have a read of my post again. Do you think I was serious? :)

it looked completely serious, hard to pick up sarcasm from a piece of typing. Apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Uh no, it isn't my problem.
    Actually, it is.

You want to see a film. The film is produced with a loan. The loan is paid off by ticket sales. Less money from ticket sales equals less money for future films, and less money would mean that the film industry would not get a whole lot better.

End product; sh|te B-grade movies.
    GAAman wrote: »
    I snapped. "KEEP FúCKIN KICKING MY CHAIR AND MAKING NOISE AND I WILL DRAG YOU OUT OF THIS CINEMA MY FúCKIN SELF"
    This works well, but you don't need to wait until you snap; just do it after a few kicks.
    kicking out people who are acting the bollocks etc
    Cinema staff can't touch them, and they know it.

it looked completely serious, hard to pick up sarcasm from a piece of typing. Apologies.

Nah I was just poking fun at some of the doom merchants on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

So basically what you are saying is that if you have problem with a service in any way you are going to steal because you feel justified?

There's a place filled with people like you my friend.....Prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Delightfully Pessimistic

I regularly go to the Cinema in Mullingar, not a bad place. They usually have a 2D option for all the films and the ad's aren't that ridiculous.

Vue in Liffey Valley on the other hand is a royal pain in the arse.
    I was seeing a film with my gf and a couple of mates and we were amazed by how much ads there were, about 30 mins worth of them!
    And their classification rules are ridiculous. They asked for proof of age for a 15A film once!

Anyway I still love the experience of going to the cinema.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

marienbad wrote: »
    On the pirating issue , - it is theft without question - and there is no point in calling it otherwise.

Actually, it's not theft - it's copyright infringement. Still wrong, but not theft (it's a civil offence, not a criminal one.) Calling it theft is just as hyperbolic as saying cinemas are so bad you just can't ever go to one, and therefore illegally downloading is justified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I regularly go to the Cinema in Mullingar, not a bad place. They usually have a 2D option for all the films and the ad's aren't that ridiculous.

Vue in Liffey Valley on the other hand is a royal pain in the arse.
    I was seeing a film with my gf and a couple of mates and we were amazed by how much ads there were, about 30 mins worth of them!
    And their classification rules are ridiculous. They asked for proof of age for a 15A film once!

Anyway I still love the experience of going to the cinema.:)

Yeah Vue is outrageous. Around 12-15 mins of regular ads, then five trailers and then when you think the film is about to start, some Jennifer Lopez Venus shaver ad shows up!

Plus, Ted trailers at every single bloody movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Vue have an ad for themselves before every film, which confuses me. We're already in the cinema, why do we need to see an ad for the place we're in?

Also in the ad the lady says that Batman is from New York. That annoys me the most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

One thing I've learned from this thread is never ever go to a cinema in Dublin. Actually I might stop going to Dublin altogether with it's unruly bad mannered kids and the total breakdown in society up there. I've wanted to move there from Limerick for years. The grass is always greener folks.

But we have Showtime, its one of the best cinemas around at the mo :)

loads of trailers before movies doesnt bother me, I like seeing them, you just get sick of the same ones all the time if you go on a regular basis. some places take the piss with their ads though, often playing the same ad twice, that bloody lotto ad with the rainbow, its a nice ad but christ, sick of seeing it now.

Kinski wrote: »
    Actually, it's not theft - it's copyright infringement. Still wrong, but not theft (it's a civil offence, not a criminal one.) Calling it theft is just as hyperbolic as saying cinemas are so bad you just can't ever go to one, and therefore illegally downloading is justified.

Theft ,copyright infringement , just hairsplitting - the point I am making is it is illegal and people not accepting that are just lying to themselves.

I made no complaint about cinemas - in fact I defended them .

Generally speaking though I have no problem with illegal downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭AoifeCN

I know your pain, I wish more independent cinemas would open with reasonably priced tickets and snacks, a 2d option and screen some of the classic films that we younger people didn't get a chance to see in cinema !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Was anyone at The Dark Knight Rises on Sunday (specifically Screen 03, 8pm screening) at Movies@Dundrum???

Did anyone find the heat in the screen neigh on unbearable? Frankly it was ridiculous and damn near unsafe. I genuinely felt like passing out at one point.

Would some aircon have gone amiss??

Definitely will be voicing my concerns to the management.

GavMan wrote: »
    Was anyone at The Dark Knight Rises on Sunday (specifically Screen 03, 8pm screening)???.

Mahon?

My sons went Saturday midnight or so, I'll ask.

Asked: Screen 4 no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I was at the Dark Knight Rises last night in Vue and will never go back

- €25 for 2 tickets
    - no air con, way too hot
    - popcorn was stale
    - 3 trailers, all cartoons WTF
    - about 9-10 ads
    - people around me kept taking out their iphones, found glare really distracting
    - sound was poor
    - in gents all soaps were empty
    - full of knackers

I have no problem downloading for most films and will continue to do so. For good ones like the Batman films ill happily spend my money on the blu ray and watch on my home cinema system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

gbee wrote: »
    Mahon?

My sons went Saturday midnight or so, I'll ask.

Asked: Screen 4 no problem.

Silly me forgot to include my location. Movies@Dundrum

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It genuinely saddens and frustrates me to see so many people boasting about only going to see the big event movies and illegally downloading everything else. I genuinely think it's one of the most harmful, hypocritical things a film fan can do.

It genuinely saddens and frustrates me to see so many people boasting about only going to see the big event movies and illegally downloading everything else. I genuinely think it's one of the most harmful, hypocritical things a film fan can do.

Why? I don't mean to boast about downloading but to explain my reasoning. I'm happy to support great films by buying the blu ray (and not just big films but smaller films this year like The Raid), my issue is with the whole cinema experience in Ireland.

my issue is with the whole cinema experience in Ireland.
    But it's NOT about the whole cinema experience in Ireland! You're projecting one bad experience in a cinema onto everywhere else, and it's not the big event movies that need to be supported. It's the smaller, more interesting and thoughtful fare that should be seen in the cinema to stop the latest big 3D movies dominating half the screens. It is harmful for the industry (and other film lovers who want to see more) whether you refuse to acknowledge it or not.

e_e wrote: »
    But it's NOT about the whole cinema experience in Ireland! You're projecting one bad experience in a cinema onto everywhere else, and it's not the big event movies that need to be supported. It's the smaller, more interesting and thoughtful fare that should be seen in the cinema to stop the latest big 3D movies dominating half the screens. It is harmful for the industry (and other film lovers who want to see more) whether you refuse to acknowledge it or not.

The most harmful thing to the industry is the industry and that is why I take a supportive stance on downloading.

• Advertisement

GavMan wrote: »
    Was anyone at The Dark Knight Rises on Sunday (specifically Screen 03, 8pm screening) at Movies@Dundrum???

Did anyone find the heat in the screen neigh on unbearable? Frankly it was ridiculous and damn near unsafe. I genuinely felt like passing out at one point.

Would some aircon have gone amiss??

Definitely will be voicing my concerns to the management.

They probably turned off the aircon to save money and/or encourage people to buy expensive drinks. Wouldn't be the first time a venue has done it.

The way I see it is if you are going to pirate then pirate, but at least be honest with yourself rather than making up some dodgy moral justification for it. There isn't any. There's no automatic entitlement to watch a film right now this minute at a price and in a format of your choosing. Anyone who really believes that they are justified in torrenting a film because of stupid teenagers in the cinema, unskippable Blu-ray ads, the lack of a premium Netflix-type subscription service or because they want to get back at the film industry isn't convincing anyone. Chances are you'll always be pirating because you'll always be able to find some new excuse to do so.

The most harmful thing to the industry is the industry and that is why I take a supportive stance on downloading.
    So why even download in the first place if you couldn't give a toss about film? This seems to be the hypocrisy that Johnny is talking about, people complaining about the lack of worthwhile films being released when they only have themselves to blame for studios not taking enough risks and going for the easy sell.

e_e wrote: »
    So why even download in the first place if you couldn't give a toss about film? This seems to be the hypocrisy that Johnny is talking about, people complaining about the lack of worthwhile films being released when they only have themselves to blame for studios not taking enough risks and going for the easy sell.

Who says I don't give a toss about film ? I care about film more than most actually, but the film industry is killing the film industry and at the same time making profits as never before .

Is downloading illegal ? unquestionably yes ? and I don't make any fake excuses about that , it is breaking the law .

Is it unethical ? now there is the question , and the answer ( to me at least) is not so cut and dried.

As to how I square that circle - I can do it without too much difficulty if you like , but i don't want to derail the thread .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

I was at the Dark Knight Rises last night in Vue and will never go back

- €25 for 2 tickets
    - no air con, way too hot
    - popcorn was stale
    - 3 trailers, all cartoons WTF
    - about 9-10 ads
    - people around me kept taking out their iphones, found glare really distracting
    - sound was poor
    - in gents all soaps were empty
    - full of knackers

I have no problem downloading for most films and will continue to do so. For good ones like the Batman films ill happily spend my money on the blu ray and watch on my home cinema system.
    Compare to my own experience of TDKR in Omniplex
    • 18.20 for 2 tickets
    • nice and cool
    • Popcorn was nice, and no harm in the few nibbles :P
    • 3 trailers (all films i would be interested in seeing tbf -Rise of the guardians looks cool)
    • 1 oblig J-Lo ad
    • Cinema audience was stone quiet, bar one guy near the end clinking a coke can
    • Sound was good, bar just generally not fully able to understand Bane
    • Tidy gents
    • Grand mix of people watching it. One guy wearing a Riddler tie

jpcarlow wrote: »
    Compare to my own experience of TDKR in Omniplex
    • 18.20 for 2 tickets
    • nice and cool
    • Popcorn was nice, and no harm in the few nibbles :P
    • 3 trailers (all films i would be interested in seeing tbf -Rise of the guardians looks cool)
    • 1 oblig J-Lo ad
    • Cinema audience was stone quiet, bar one guy near the end clinking a coke can
    • Sound was good, bar just generally not fully able to understand Bane
    • Tidy gents
    • Grand mix of people watching it. One guy wearing a Riddler tie

What's your point? :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's 'the industry' (:mad:) and then there's 'the industry' (:))

Yes, Hollywood are putting out unimaginative dreck on a weekly basis, like they always have. Yes, some multiplexes are overpriced. And yes, someone out there is still keeping Michael Bay employed.

But then there's The Lighthouse, constantly struggling to be something admirably different and returning a bit of character to the cinema going experience. Masters of Cinema or Criterion, presenting meticulous remasterings of cinema classics both underappreciated and widely beloved at justified premiums. Third Window Films, distributing fantastic examples Asian cinema but forced to cease theatrical distribution due to audiences all but ignoring masterpieces like Himizu. Artificial Eye, Soda and others releasing the best world cinema as a whole has to offer, surely taking a plethora of risks in the process. Online retailers providing a highly competitive environment for DVDs and Blu-Ray. Upstarts on the online streaming scene like Curzon-on-demand, Volta and MUBI. Heck, even the studios pouring profits into the smaller, fascinating films through their 'indie' (giggle) offshoots like Fox Searchlight or Sony Classics.

So yes 'the industry' is evil and deserve to be punished. But 'the industry' is also enriching the cinematic landscape, and piracy / apathy is preventing them from accessing the resources to continue doing so.

and piracy is preventing them from accessing the resources to continue doing so.

I've had enough of this, if only 10% of this was actually true, the most recent Batman would not be playing to over half a cinema's capacity, ie 4 screens out of six, nationwide, if not world wide as we type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

What's your point? :P
    That its the individual cinema not cinemas as a whole that are the cause of your discomfort:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The cost & distance to travel to my nearest cinema makes it nigh on impossible for me to go as much as I'd like so it takes an 'event' movie to get me there.TDKR being the main one this summer.That's why I end up downloading most movies plus I couldn't be bothered sitting in a cinema watching a drama which looks just the same on my tv at home.

Before my local cinema closed it pretty much became a no go area on a Saturday night as it was full of travellers who thought the rules didn't apply to them as they brought in stuff from the takeaway across the road,shouted across the cinema at each other or shouted into their phones.That put off everyone else from going & the inevitable closure happened.Sad considering it used to have queues up the street.Now I have a 40 mile round trip to the cinema so it's less & less attractive to go.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    The cost & distance to travel to my nearest cinema makes it nigh on impossible for me to go as much as I'd like so it takes an 'event' movie to get me there.TDKR being the main one this summer.That's why I end up downloading most movies plus I couldn't be bothered sitting in a cinema watching a drama which looks just the same on my tv at home.

Before my local cinema closed it pretty much became a no go area on a Saturday night as it was full of travellers who thought the rules didn't apply to them as they brought in stuff from the takeaway across the road,shouted across the cinema at each other or shouted into their phones.That put off everyone else from going & the inevitable closure happened.Sad considering it used to have queues up the street.Now I have a 40 mile round trip to the cinema so it's less & less attractive to go.

Oh, it's been mentioned a few times that regional restrictions are a genuine motivation for not going, can't possibly deny that. However, various people throughout the thread have complained about cinemas from a clearly Dublin-centric viewpoint, and the available alternatives makes their argument ring much hollower, IMO.

I also think there are much more options available than a. cinema or b. download. The increasing availability of digital downloads / streaming just goes to show that even when legal alternatives are available, many will still download illegally, and that's when the arguments grow even hazier. And, honestly, it's never been cheaper or easier to buy DVDs or Blu-Ray. Easily the single most valid justification for piracy IMO is the complete lack of a film availability anywhere. That is in my experience becoming an increasingly rare phenomenon. I've had to track down quite a few very obscure films recently, and haven't had any major problems getting them legally through import sites.

There's 'the industry' (:mad:) and then there's 'the industry' (:))

Yes, Hollywood are putting out unimaginative dreck on a weekly basis, like they always have. Yes, some multiplexes are overpriced. And yes, someone out there is still keeping Michael Bay employed.

But then there's The Lighthouse, constantly struggling to be something admirably different and returning a bit of character to the cinema going experience. Masters of Cinema or Criterion, presenting meticulous remasterings of cinema classics both underappreciated and widely beloved at justified premiums. Third Window Films, distributing fantastic examples Asian cinema but forced to cease theatrical distribution due to audiences all but ignoring masterpieces like Himizu. Artificial Eye, Soda and others releasing the best world cinema as a whole has to offer, surely taking a plethora of risks in the process. Online retailers providing a highly competitive environment for DVDs and Blu-Ray. Upstarts on the online streaming scene like Curzon-on-demand, Volta and MUBI. Heck, even the studios pouring profits into the smaller, fascinating films through their 'indie' (giggle) offshoots like Fox Searchlight or Sony Classics.

So yes 'the industry' is evil and deserve to be punished. But 'the industry' is also enriching the cinematic landscape, and piracy / apathy is preventing them from accessing the resources to continue doing so.

You sounds like me 30/40 years ago jhonny - a dedicated cineaste and music lover more than willing to pay my way and to pay top dollar at that

And now after over 40 years I am a bit of a sad sack but still love movies and music more than ever , but I feel the future of cinema resides not in big bloated rebooted batman and Spiderman absolute rubbish science plugs that pass for movies ,but in all those pirate kids out there dying to create but with to chance no do so.

I will try and make a more coherent agument tomorrow- too tired just now

but in all those pirate kids out there dying to create but with to chance no do so.

As in a utopian society where all art is free, and the artists are rewarded appropriately for their contribution to society? That would be wonderful. I'd like to think everyone who downloads is a staunch advocate of borderless art and transmission, but I'm not exactly convinced having a read through this thread.

Personally, as someone starting off in the film industry (I do have a livelihood to worry about), a passionate cinephile, and an enthusiastic supporter of world and independent cinema, unfortunately that utopian ideal, while admirable, has little to no grounding in contemporary reality. Also I don't want to see the cinema as a concept disappear - perhaps not quite as militant as Germaine Greer when it comes to the ritual of the darkened theatre, but militant nonetheless :) Also as a poor student it's increasingly rare I'm able to pay top dollar, but having just watched my pristine Blu-Ray copies of Sansho Dayu / Gion Bayashi, rest assured it was worth every cent I pulled together for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

probably been mentioned already, but piracy is much more a problem for DVD sales than Movies in the cinema. The versions from Cams are generally very very poor, and the most downloaded torrents tend to be of the Blu ray / HD versions which come out once the film gets released on DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

jpcarlow wrote: »
    1 oblig J-Lo ad
    The best argument in favour of downloading in this torrent yet tbh. ;)

I can't understand why anyone would watch a cam of something, they look like they were filmed on a calculator. I saw one where the camera wasnt even directly facing the screen it was off to the side, and the focus and white balance were yo yo-ing every shot.

I def agree people in major cities like Dublin have little to complain about regarding choice, you have the Screen, the IFI and the Lighthouse showing smaller movies and loads of multiplexes, most towns in Ireland have one cinema, some have none so the chances of seeing something that isnt a blockbuster are slim. between 1997 and 2005 Limerick only had one actual cinema, now we have three, there used to be quite a few and some of them were lovely, proper old style theatre cinemas. If I ever had the money I'd open a cinema with a small number of screens, art deco styled, catering for movie fans who are sick of the multiplex experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Went to IMC Thurles sat night to see TDKR in 2d. Paid 5.80 for a student ticket with no student i.d. And 6.80 for a large popcorn and large drink. And only one ad for Superman!

On the subject of ads, it used be the case where ads were made for the cinema and only seen there. These would be theatrical productions and used be entertaining in and of themselves.

Today, however, we see these same ads on TV, any Internet News Feed, we have to kill them from our everday browsers and unfriend any youtube buddy who 'monatizies' his account.

gbee wrote: »
    On the subject of ads, it used be the case where ads were made for the cinema and only seen there. These would be theatrical productions and used be entertaining in and of themselves.

Today, however, we see these same ads on TV, any Internet News Feed, we have to kill them from our everday browsers and unfriend any youtube buddy who 'monatizies' his account.

Agreed, Orange in the UK does good cinema ads, but sweet jesus I'm sick of seeing the same reel of ads for stuff like Ben & Jerrys, that bloody J-Lo razor ad and Chicago Town pizzas. the majority of stuff you see advertised in the cinema is stuff you can't buy at the cinema! Advertise sweets, coca cola, upcoming tv shows, blu-ray releases of big movies etc etc, stuff that actually has some connection with the cinema itself. I'll sit through 20 minutes of trailers not a bother but endless ads are headwrecking. some cinemas in the States show the start time and the actual film start time so you know how much of the ads you can miss by arriving later.

• Advertisement

I went to the Lighthouse to see TDKR

10.30 showing
    16 euro for two student passes + booking fee (19 without student rate)
    Bar open (Staropramen @ 4.50 - not bad)
    Cinema absolutely stuffed
    No ads at all
    2/3 trailers
    Most of the audience aged 25+

Why? Because it's a cinema. It doesn't have toy machines or slot machines. It's clean crisp and I would say the local scummers would walk up to cineworld. As long as The Lighthouse stays open and is reasonably priced, I won't go to another cinema if I can help it. It's so nice to be treated like an adult in a cinema.

Advertisement