Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cupcakes freshness

Options
  • 22-06-2012 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Its my nephews birthday on Sunday and I'm planning on doing some cupcakes with some icing and marshmallows to make them look like pigs and sheep.

Do you think I could make them Saturday and they'd be fresh enough for the party? Or should I put the icing and marshmallow on Sunday before the party? I think I'll defo bake them Saturday night as time wise I couldn't get it all done on Sunday.

Also should I put them in the fridge to keep fresh?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

They'll be fine from Saturday to Sunday, don't put them in the fridge, this will dry them out. Put them in a plastic container with the lid off/sitting on top but not closed or into a card box, a cake box etc, as they cases will pop off if they are in a sealed container. Leave them in a cool room overnight and they'll be fine. You could decorate them Saturday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Acoshla wrote: »
    don't put them in the fridge, this will dry them out.
    This came up in another thread. The air in a fridge will dry stuff out, but if it is in an airtight container it will not. Think about packs of mince meat, stays fine until its opened and then begins to dry out where the pack was opened.

In supermarkets you will often see cakes in the fridge section, but they are in proper containers/packaging, and these have best before dates a fair while away.

I am not recommending to store in the fridge, nor saying its bad.It would be interesting if somebody did a test and compared cakes a few days old from the same batch.

I don't bake cakes, just eat them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

But if you put them in an airtight container the cases pop off when done outside the fridge, so would they do the same in the fridge?

Advertisement