Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One day adventure race -August 18th 2012

Options
  • 22-06-2012 11:57am
    Site Banned Posts: 1

This is not a triathlon, a marathon or a fun run it is an adventure race!

The course of approximately 67km stretches from the stunning Glassilaun beach to Westport. En route there are some significant obstacles to cross, including Killary Harbour and the famous holy mountain of Croagh Patrick.
    It is important to note that you will get wet and dirty; you are running through bogs, along mountain paths and up Croagh Patrick! You are cycling along small country roads, a dirt track and on a small section of the N59.

Gaelforce.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

and we could argue about whether or not it counts as "adventure race" :pac:

anyway, moved to the correct forum, where the mod can decide if this is useful or just advertising...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Given the open invitation...

Gael Force West is definitely NOT an adventure race. No better proof than that from their own original marketing material. When it first started out this race was known as Gael Force 6. It was the very baby brother of the real adventure race called Gael Force 12. See this link for an idea of what they were about.

The interesting point is how the original organisers themselves descibe what is now Gael Force West:
    Two separate competitions will run in tandem as part of the festival. ‘Gaelforce 6’ will be for the novice racer or ‘armchair adventurer’ and will be completed over a six-hour course involving mountain biking, trekking and kayaking. ‘Gaelforce 12’, meanwhile, will see mixed teams of four embarking on an adventure-style course which includes four 12-hour stages covering 250km, set over 72 hours. Activities will include mountain biking, climbing, abseiling, canoeing and navigation.

So there you have it. In their own words GFW is for armchair athletes who don't want to compete on an actual adventure-style course! Likewise for all the copycat races that followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

is the interesting thing not that the support event went on to become massively popular and the main event died a death?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

In the context of the first sentence of the OP, I think it's the constrast between the original marketing and the new-revised marketing that is interesting. But I agree, it's definitely interesting the way things turned out compared to the original plan.

I hear you're targeting it this year. Good luck! I'll be rooting for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

For marketing revision look no further than the VW Beetle, a masterclass..

Some adventure races could do with more realistic advertising and then they might find they would be more popular. If you have mandatory sleep/rest periods you should tell folk about them, it makes the events more achievable and therefore more approachable.

Of course I'm doing Gaelforce, I like my armchair racing :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement