Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ile de Re in July?

• 22-06-2012 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi All, we are taking our hols end July/Aug for the first time this year, usually go earlier. I would really like to visit Ile de Re, but already one site I was looking at appears to be booked up. Would we be mad to go there during that period? Also we were considering avoiding the coast altogether and staying more inland to avoid the worst of the crowds, but the closer we get, the more I think I will miss the seaside! Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

We're going to this place http://en.camping-la-garangeoire.com/ got rave review from friends of ours. Its about 40 mins back from the coast so you'd be able to get to the beach as well as having the relaxing countryside bit. Not hugely far south either - a bit above La Rochelle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Very end of july and the first two weeks of august is mental in France to be avoided if you can even the french on Île de Ré give out about the descent of Frech tourists. Then again they give out about everything :D

When i was last in France in those weeks you'd get to the shop and boulangerie at 8am to find all the fresh stuff sold out tis a bit like the germans putting a towel on the deckchair at 6am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

We usually spend a few days in La Rochelle on the way south - early July. Two years ago we went to Ile de Re for one night. It wasn't very busy and we stayed at a campsite on the right just as you come off the bridge. We didn't book and just drove in and parked. We expected island to be crowded but it didn't seem to be so. Roads are quite good and not very narrow which was a surprise as well. Beach was on the end of the campsite.

If you are going to that area at all, I would recomend looking at Biscarosse Plage. It is about two hours drive south from La Rochellle on the Atlantic coast. The Aire is excellent, in the middle of the Landes Forest, 100m from the beach,( and beach bar) at the start of a cycling traill. Next door is the campsite ( washing machines, bar, kids entertainment ) and 1km is the town. We think it is one of the best aires in France and we spend a week there most years. The only downside is the antlantic weather which can't be depended on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Ildere

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    We usually spend a few days in La Rochelle on the way south - early July. Two years ago we went to Ile de Re for one night. It wasn't very busy and we stayed at a campsite on the right just as you come off the bridge. We didn't book and just drove in and parked. We expected island to be crowded but it didn't seem to be so.

That one is called Le Platin, its a Campeole if you want to search on the internet. Its a good campsite and accepts ACSI in low season. Well worth a visit and easy cycling from there. Direct access to a beach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭face2face

Thanks everyone for replying. Had absolutely no choice with dates this year due to work. I think we'll skip the main drag and seek our thrills elsewhere. Enjoy the summer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭CuchulainnCC

Advertisement