Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who you know or what you know?

• 22-06-2012 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

I am on the never-ending job hunt again this year. I lost my part-time hours in my school due to cuts and guidance coming back into mainstream. I have just spent the morning ringing schools to see if they had received my application. I have only applied for jobs where I am qualified to teach both subjects. I didn't make the cut for 3 different interviews. I am not an NQT, have excellent results and a masters. I have no reason to suspect that my references aren't good and have had my CV checked by the Deputy Head. I have been involved in all sorts of extra curricular activities over the years. Who is being called for interview? What kind of experience and qualifications do they have? I am applying for RPT jobs not PWT. I am not looking to start a witch hunt here or rant. I am seriously wondering if I should give up and try something else if I cant secure work after 5 years. I know times are tough but this tough??? Is it all about haveing the qualification and knowing somebody with a bit of pull these days? There are a fair few language jobs advertised but I cant get the job without getting an interview!!!! Input or tips welcome....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

It depends. We have all had experiences of doing interviews where a job doesn't exist. Absolutely nepotism and favouritism exists but there are some jobs out there. Its similar to the civil service 20+ years ago but they now have a transparent system in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

totally who you know in my opinion :mad:

i actually pulled out of an interview this morning -- it was pwt (or whatever the correct term is these days ) and the interview was over 1.5 hrs drive away -- only put in for the interview to get back into the swing of them again but got up this morning and thought f*** it - i'm up to my eyeballs with correcting, it'd take the day and job is probably gone anyway ... no to mention the very harsh reality of having to put to petrol into the car for the return trip ... i decided against it ....

it is so disheartening ....
    best thing i did a couple of years ago when i hadn't anything lined up by sept was to drive around the schools and hand in my cv absolutely everywhere ... i did get work from it so was worth it in the end ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Vamos I could have written that..., I'm the same. Apparently an excellent cv and cover letter which a principal went over with me a few years ago- I obviously adapt it accordingly. A masters, experience, loads of extra curricular stuff and not one call. Even a job was advertised where I went to school and I didnt get a call. I reckon half the advertised posts are already gone - or maybe I'm just rubbish! It's so disheartening as there are so few few jobs out there. You need a lucky break to get an interview in this system I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Definitely in the initial stages it's whom you know, and a bit of what you know. However, I can't help noticing that plámás and generally being a likeable rogue only gets one so far; more and more, principals are asking for your qualifications in the subject you're going to teach simply because the Department of Education is making a bigger deal over it.

Generally, however, the Department of Education is far, far too lenient on schools, allowing them to employ a slew of unqualified people largely because it is, still, alas whom you know. The state is facilitating this culture, when it alone has the financial power to curb it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Has any study ever been done on the number of people teaching in schools who are unqualified to teach the subject they're teaching? There is no excuse why such people hold those teaching posts year after year when they could have gone to college at night and gained a qualification in them by now.

They should be sacked, just for being lazy bastards. Seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

vamos! wrote: »
    I am on the never-ending job hunt again this year. I lost my part-time hours in my school due to cuts and guidance coming back into mainstream. I have just spent the morning ringing schools to see if they had received my application. I have only applied for jobs where I am qualified to teach both subjects. I didn't make the cut for 3 different interviews. I am not an NQT, have excellent results and a masters. I have no reason to suspect that my references aren't good and have had my CV checked by the Deputy Head. I have been involved in all sorts of extra curricular activities over the years. Who is being called for interview? What kind of experience and qualifications do they have? I am applying for RPT jobs not PWT. I am not looking to start a witch hunt here or rant. I am seriously wondering if I should give up and try something else if I cant secure work after 5 years. I know times are tough but this tough??? Is it all about haveing the qualification and knowing somebody with a bit of pull these days? There are a fair few language jobs advertised but I cant get the job without getting an interview!!!! Input or tips welcome....

getting a teaching job is more linked to what extra curricular activities you can offer. forget academic qualifications.if you played GAA for the county- that is what counts. mention it in the letter of application. a lot of principals do not actually read the CV. you have several hundred applying o each job. maybe they just select the first ten CVs?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

From a personal standpoint, after I got my job last year, I was told it was a case of the school having 100 CVs and they literally just took the last 10 to come through and talked to those people, ignoring everyone else. I just got lucky my CV happened to land on their pile the day before they started looking.....

highly1111 wrote: »
    Vamos I could have written that..., I'm the same. Apparently an excellent cv and cover letter which a principal went over with me a few years ago- I obviously adapt it accordingly. A masters, experience, loads of extra curricular stuff and not one call. Even a job was advertised where I went to school and I didnt get a call. I reckon half the advertised posts are already gone - or maybe I'm just rubbish! It's so disheartening as there are so few few jobs out there. You need a lucky break to get an interview in this system I think.

true, luck is also a factor. At this time of year they are no pushed about getting staff. In August they will start to panic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

I've just started the job hunt today. I'm a NQT. What I find annoying is that you spend a lot of time doing up a cv and cover letter and then the school asks you to fill out an application form which contains pretty much the same information as the cv and cover letter. I'm going to find the process very time consuming and annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

The job application firms are retarded.
    It puts me off ever applying for a VEC job.

I got an interview a few weeks ago & got the job, one year contract on full hours.

Didn't want to leave the school I was in but lost my hours & was only being offered a maternity leave, and. When you're 6 years qualified & as experienced as I am at this stage (not to sound snobbish) maternity leaves just don't cut it.

It's very disheartening the way teaching is gone in this country.

I'm once again a MINIMUM of 4 years away from a job I can call my own job.

Once again I have to move on to a new school, learn the names of hundreds of students & tens of teachers.

As I get closer and closer to thirty, (13 months away now) and remain as far away from being able to get a mortgage, it really pisses me off.

• Advertisement

Do many people you know just pack it in? I like teaching but I have other skills. I spent a year waiting on phonecalls to come in for subbing. Went over to england for interviews but didn't like the system over there. Have set a personal deadline that if nothing arises by Sept I'll look for work elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

totally who you know in my opinion :mad:

i actually pulled out of an interview this morning -- it was pwt (or whatever the correct term is these days ) and the interview was over 1.5 hrs drive away -- only put in for the interview to get back into the swing of them again but got up this morning and thought f*** it - i'm up to my eyeballs with correcting, it'd take the day and job is probably gone anyway ... no to mention the very harsh reality of having to put to petrol into the car for the return trip ... i decided against it ....

it is so disheartening ....
    best thing i did a couple of years ago when i hadn't anything lined up by sept was to drive around the schools and hand in my cv absolutely everywhere ... i did get work from it so was worth it in the end ...

Did you have any knowledge that this job was going to someone else? If not it's amzing you didn't go for the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 muirthemne

I am so p***ed off once again this year......was not even on full hours this year and now I suspect they are to be taken away......on the job hunt yet again and am not sure whether I should apply for jobs where I have both subjects or chance it and apply even if I only have one of the subjects, is this a waste of time??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

My principal had two jobs advertised for our school about 150 people applied.

for one job nobody was shortlisted out of 80 because their subjects were not right. so 80 people applied for a job they were not qualified to do.

for the second job they managed to shortlisted a handful out of all who applied only some were qualified.

if a job is asking for two subjects you need to have both to lc unless it says otherwise in the ad.

I suspect that many who applied for these jobs feel hard done by as they didnt get a call.

as for unqualified teachers im not sure how much of a problem it is. from next year you can't be paid unless registered with tc and we all know how hard that is.

if i could give any advice it would be to keep applying. make your application stand out.

spell check, address the application to the right person, and dont be waiting for an interview to sell yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭therunaround

Similar situation with our place about 200 applications and none with the right combo.

Also it's important to do the interview if the location is within reason. I didn't get the job in an interview after my dip but a maternity leave in the same department came up a few months later and was called in then. That's how I got started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

to tell ye about it from the other side

Lots apply for jobs.
    We don't favour anyone in particular unless we know someone who is very good but that only puts them in contention, not guaranteed.
    Lots apply that aren't qualified, straight into the bin
    people don't read ads. I mean not a word! If you say email for a form, then please don't ring the school! And nothing worse than someone ringing saying they can't use a computer because that just says it all, any new teacher must be able to use email/word etc in this day and age and if you struggle, get someone to do it for you.
    People who send their CV when it says use an application form
    My BIG hate: people who email me back an application form even though it says post it in!

But to put it down to the bottom line, we don't have a system of who we know to be honest. And welcome everyone applying if they actually want the job. And excellent CVs, I have seen plenty and 2 seconds into the interview, bin...
    Best one I ever had was down to the waiting room for a lady in for interview, made some chit chat on the way up where she told me how she wasn't bothered about the interview and was thinking of staying in bed that day but may as well answer the old fogeys questions to see what its like. needless to say the expression on her face when she saw a very young fogey then didn't help her.....

And look at all the threads on this about "3 years and let go" or "I deserve a CID" etc, we must be so so careful to make sure we don't get stuck with a lame duck because once someone is in the door, its difficult to move them on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I always used to say it's who you know not what you know until I got my job, i was a complete outsider not from the local area and I am not the same religion as the school and only had 1 years experience. I am very much in the minority in the staff room. I got my CID last week so can't complain. But I do notice that a lot of jobs are given to past pupils who are qualified teachers but not qualified in subjects given! A lot of the snas got their jobs as they knew the teachers from the church (nearly 100% sure they haven't done the course) my biggest gripe though is giving full time teaching jobs in resource and learning support to anyone who has not done the qualification! Maybe they do it as there is a shortage of qualified people but it is so unfair if there are unemployed teachers who have paid a lot of money to do the course!

TheDriver wrote: »
    to tell ye about it from the other side

Lots apply for jobs.
    We don't favour anyone in particular unless we know someone who is very good but that only puts them in contention, not guaranteed.
    Lots apply that aren't qualified, straight into the bin
    people don't read ads. I mean not a word! If you say email for a form, then please don't ring the school! And nothing worse than someone ringing saying they can't use a computer because that just says it all, any new teacher must be able to use email/word etc in this day and age and if you struggle, get someone to do it for you.
    People who send their CV when it says use an application form
    My BIG hate: people who email me back an application form even though it says post it in!

But to put it down to the bottom line, we don't have a system of who we know to be honest. And welcome everyone applying if they actually want the job. And excellent CVs, I have seen plenty and 2 seconds into the interview, bin...
    Best one I ever had was down to the waiting room for a lady in for interview, made some chit chat on the way up where she told me how she wasn't bothered about the interview and was thinking of staying in bed that day but may as well answer the old fogeys questions to see what its like. needless to say the expression on her face when she saw a very young fogey then didn't help her.....

And look at all the threads on this about "3 years and let go" or "I deserve a CID" etc, we must be so so careful to make sure we don't get stuck with a lame duck because once someone is in the door, its difficult to move them on.

Thanks for that. always nice to hear from the other side. out of curiosity, what is it with the snail mail. Most folks use electronic mail these days?

doc - just to get to your question, even though i know the posts have moved on a bit --
    i didn't go for the interview as it would be too far to travel on a daily basis but i applied for it just to get a bit of experience in the ole interviews again ...
    and it was a permanent position so i very much assume t'was gone .

I fully understand why management need to be sure about someone & if you apply for a job, you should make sure you're applying for the job asked but it really pisses me off when you get into a place, commit to the place, do extra curricular to the point of it being 22 hours teaching & 12 hours coaching & then the dept/management moves the goal posts, your hours are cut, and you have to start all over again.

But to put it another way, I have often applied for my current "official" combo (science & biology), got an interview & flew the it only to be asked, "would you teach Maths/Chemistry as I see you have taught it before?"

What am I supposed to say here?

Sure as hell ain't gonna say no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 saffron77

I would just like to say that it has never been easy to get a job in secondary school teaching- with the recent cuts etc, it is harder. But it was never the case that you left college and walked into a job- unless we are talking back in the 60's and 70's. I left college in 1998- subbed for years literally all over the country and finally got a CID 3 years ago. It is worth calling to schools with your CV. Thats how I got called for interview for the job I have now. My principal said he always remembered the ones who called in with the CV. If you love teaching and want to stay teaching I think you have to be prepared to sub for a long time- I did it for 7 years. But its not an easy career to get into.

I know that.
    I'll be starting my 7th year of subbing & one year contracts on August 27th.

There just doesn't seem to be a proper path of progression.

I think it's good for people to spend time in the "trenches" subbing & seeing different schools, different types of kids & teaching in single sex & co-Ed schools.

Spending 30/40 years in one school & not experiencing any other school isn't how I'd like my career to have panned out.

I just hate the luck element that comes into getting a CID.

So many people I know who work in primary were made permanent on their 1st day of work 5/6 years ago & it just sticks in my craw.

There is no semblance of fairness.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    Thanks for that. always nice to hear from the other side. out of curiosity, what is it with the snail mail. Most folks use electronic mail these days?

As in why do we request people to send them in? Because they will actually go to the bother of reading what they did, I found emailing completed app forms always comtain mistakes. Also it must be signed and must have TC reg etc and if people have these scanned in, they can be massive file sizes (some people don't know how to scan a pdf and file it small) so snail mail is best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

As in why do we request people to send them in? Because they will actually go to the bother of reading what they did, I found emailing completed app forms always comtain mistakes. Also it must be signed and must have TC reg etc and if people have these scanned in, they can be massive file sizes (some people don't know how to scan a pdf and file it small) so snail mail is best.

I presume you are in management in your school. Have you been advised to ask for TC reg, transcripts, written references and all of the extra stuff that seems to be required this year? I would have imagined that a shortlist of candidates could be compiled and then you could check the TC register? I know it is no big deal to send a copy but it seems bizzare when we (like you) pay to be kept on a register. I could be missing something very simple here though.... It is also lovely to hear that not all jobs are earmarked!

I know it is no big deal to send a copy but it seems bizzare when we (like you) pay to be kept on a register. I could be missing something very simple here though.... It is also lovely to hear that not all jobs are earmarked!

This.

Why are we paying the TC and getting a shiny little card with a number on it if that number can't be referenced easily by management?

Why do you have to be Garda Vetted when moving schools although your employer, the DES, hasn't changed?

It's a massive failing

This.

Why are we paying the TC and getting a shiny little card with a number on it if that number can't be referenced easily by management?

Why do you have to be Garda Vetted when moving schools although your employer, the DES, hasn't changed?

It's a massive failing

I worked in schools and they never asked for Garda vetting or TC reg. people are getting subbing without TC reg which makes me wonder why I fork out the cash.

I notice some young teachers completely unwilling to work outside of their city or town. experience is experience though long term a year Donegal and the next year in Cork there is a head wrecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Geologyrocks

Bdoo and therunaround, if you don't mind me asking, what are the subject combos that none of the applicants had?

Fuinseog wrote: »

I notice some young teacher completely unwilling to work outside of their city or town. experience is experience though long term a year Donegal and the next year in Cork there is a head wrecker.

People with that attitude really pi$$ me off.

I've taught in Cardiff, mainland Europe, Connacht, Drogheda, the midlands & Dublin.

But at this stage, I just want a job to call my own, buy a house, have a career & have a life.

People with that attitude really pi$$ me off.

I've taught in Cardiff, mainland Europe, Connacht, Drogheda, the midlands & Dublin.

But at this stage, I just want a job to call my own, buy a house, have a career & have a life.

Me too. Europe, midlands, Dub, Kildare and more. I have always had work and been happy to have it. The happiness is wearing off and annoyance is setting in. I am also heading for 30 and have no idea where I will be in Sept. Life is on hold and no amount of hard work seems to be paying off. I earn as much in a week as I did in my college summer job due to part-time hours. It is really starting to get to me. I would love to know how many French and German teachers I am competing with!

• Advertisement

Me too. Europe, midlands, Dub, Kildare and more. I have always had work and been happy to have it. The happiness is wearing off and annoyance is setting in. I am also heading for 30 and have no idea where I will be in Sept. Life is on hold and no amount of hard work seems to be paying off. I earn as much in a week as I did in my college summer job due to part-time hours. It is really starting to get to me. I would love to know how many French and German teachers I am competing with!

its easy to get work. You just have to be willing to travel, which is a bummer if you want a life. there are no permanent jobs out there so you might as well enjoy your summer and wait for the next round in August.

the bummer with being a sub is that very often other teachers do not want to know you as they know you are just passing through. among principals even if you are qualified and experienced there seems to be a lot of disinterest. I know a French teacher who lived in France for years and is very much into her French, yet she is still subbing, subbing very often in schools where some of the French teachers have rusty French, but are permanent openly admit to never have visited France. yo need to be at the right place at the right time.

It's easy to get work.

Not easy to get a career.

And saying "you have to be in the right place at the right time" is just saying you have to get lucky in a different way.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Alqua

Do many people you know just pack it in? I like teaching but I have other skills. I spent a year waiting on phonecalls to come in for subbing. Went over to england for interviews but didn't like the system over there. Have set a personal deadline that if nothing arises by Sept I'll look for work elsewhere

(Sorry mods, don't want to derail the thread..) but am interested in this! What are people's opinions on this? I'm an NQT but have been realistic all along and the general situation and the scare stories are dragging me down a bit these days! Delta, what would you like to do if you weren't teaching? I just find from looking up (non-teaching) jobs that my qualifications are so specialised, that I'm essentially 'qualified' for nothing except teaching. Everything requires X-years experience in that area and I can't afford to work for free/re-train(?) any time soon. Do employers run a mile when they see you're a teacher? i.e. this person is going to do a runner once they find a teaching job!?

Similar situation with our place about 200 applications and none with the right combo.

That generally is the fault of the candidate but in some cases the school must shoulder the blame for looking for many illogical subject combinations. I saw one recently for Tech Graph, English and Geography. That would take approx 8 years of study to qualify for all those sujects.

I have only ever applied for my exact subjects but I spoke to many teachers who have gotten jobs with subjects they aren't qualified to teach.
    Alqua wrote: »
    (Sorry mods, don't want to derail the thread..) but am interested in this! What are people's opinions on this? I'm an NQT but have been realistic all along and the general situation and the scare stories are dragging me down a bit these days! Delta, what would you like to do if you weren't teaching? I just find from looking up (non-teaching) jobs that my qualifications are so specialised, that I'm essentially 'qualified' for nothing except teaching. Everything requires X-years experience in that area and I can't afford to work for free/re-train(?) any time soon. Do employers run a mile when they see you're a teacher? i.e. this person is going to do a runner once they find a teaching job!?

Well I'm a geography teacher but have more experience in banking and finance than teaching so its something I would consider but teaching is my preferred post. I think teachers are well able to work private sector; experienced in project management, man management, working under pressure and absolutely qualified in spotting spoofers ;). Most of our skills are transferrable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 saffron77

The whole system is so unfair-in primary teaching it seems to be a better system with panels and so on. I have worked recently with younger teachers than me( I am early 30's) and they expect a job in their local area and I try to encourage them to take subbing wherever it is as it is all experience. A principal is not going to walk up their door and say do you fancy a nice handy job just down the road. Even a few of my sixth years were interested in doing secondary teaching and i advised them that they should do it if its what they really want to do but to be prepared for a long hunt for a job. I am not a career guidance teacher just a subject teacher. I am beginning to wonder why they are training more and more teachers each year and no jobs out there.

I presume you are in management in your school. Have you been advised to ask for TC reg, transcripts, written references and all of the extra stuff that seems to be required this year? I would have imagined that a shortlist of candidates could be compiled and then you could check the TC register? I know it is no big deal to send a copy but it seems bizzare when we (like you) pay to be kept on a register. I could be missing something very simple here though.... It is also lovely to hear that not all jobs are earmarked!

you can presume correctly! We only look for TC registration which is in date and the subjects are correct. If its pending, we require the proof because we have been caught in the past. We interview everyone that applies for anything contractual and anyone without TC reg is out before shortlisting. For subbing, I require TC number straight off because everyone should have it by Sept. To be honest picking someone for subbing is based on experience, where they have been and sometimes I pick subjects that are common so that they are happy to get subbing and are more generally available unless I am looking for a specific subject.

Note: TC registration is mandatory and if you don't have it, I will not employ you unless its a very rare subject and no one else can be found. and the good thing about TC registration is that all the work has been done by the TC for us thankfully.

Lastly, hiring is not easy, we don't want to get stuck with lame ducks, useless classroom management skills or similar. And with all the union and CID lark, we have to be so so so careful to make sure we get good staff. Hence you can't blame management for taking safer routes sometimes though risk can pay off also. Times have changed unfortunately. Having Job security in a CID means a lot harder road to travel first and proving yourself.

• Advertisement

you can presume correctly! We only look for TC registration which is in date and the subjects are correct. If its pending, we require the proof because we have been caught in the past. We interview everyone that applies for anything contractual and anyone without TC reg is out before shortlisting. For subbing, I require TC number straight off because everyone should have it by Sept. To be honest picking someone for subbing is based on experience, where they have been and sometimes I pick subjects that are common so that they are happy to get subbing and are more generally available unless I am looking for a specific subject.

Note: TC registration is mandatory and if you don't have it, I will not employ you unless its a very rare subject and no one else can be found. and the good thing about TC registration is that all the work has been done by the TC for us thankfully.

Lastly, hiring is not easy, we don't want to get stuck with lame ducks, useless classroom management skills or similar. And with all the union and CID lark, we have to be so so so careful to make sure we get good staff. Hence you can't blame management for taking safer routes sometimes though risk can pay off also. Times have changed unfortunately. Having Job security in a CID means a lot harder road to travel first and proving yourself.

Thanks for the info. I hope my last post didn't read a bit narky... not intended to be rude or short, I was just wondering why applications are longer this year. Im sure hiring is not easy but on the bright side you should now have a stream of experienced teachers to interview! I hope having been in a number of schools over the years and am losing RPT hours to cutbacks. I hope that wont make my CV look like that of a lame duck

sorry to hijack but it is kinda related ...
    for the Driver ...

i have been out a few years now and have always subbed around home - in my defense of 'not travelling around' like others have suggested, i met my husband whilst in college, we married after college, built a house and now have kids in school so i am tied down but willing to travel up to an hour and half's drive -- anything outside of that is just unrealistic for me....
    but to my main point, i have subbed a lot and have a lot of schools that have asked me back for casual subbing ....
    for my cv i put places down chron' starting with the most recent ... but wondering should i give preference to putting down places where i've done say a year's mat leave (which could leave a 'gap' in my cv) or should i put down the places where i've maybe done a month here and a month there -- showing that i was good enough ( i hope) to be asked back .....

at this point in time i get embarassed i'm at the stage where i'm culling what to put on my cv -- think it makes me look bad?
    on the other hand i suppose i have very rarely ever been out of work ...
    just wondering if you (or anyone else) can advise, looking at it from the other side, what way should i proceed?

happyiwthlife: i would put down all teaching experience in Chron order but bold anything that is substantial. I also promote reasons for not being in any CID situation e.g. I travelled for 2 years in USA, I abstained from teaching to raise kids etc etc. It always looks better ans I would always get a bit suss of people who sub a lot but for no reason. A quick call to any relevant principal will tell me the story to be honest.
    You could do something abbreviated such as 2010-2011: subbing in 5 schools including:..... and put down the rough ones especially because they are the best experience.
    Don't labour non teaching info, we don't want to know. (sorry, but being blunt)

vamos: there actually isn't a lot of experienced teachers out there and the next problem is that some experienced teachers will give you a lot of "well we did it this way in my last school" etc. Bit generalised but experience must be taken properly and sometimes people feel their experience needs to be impressed on the new school. I know myself I have had teachers tell me things I should be doing 1 day into the school mainly because I am younger than them.

P.S. sorry to any posters who may see me as attacking their position but I am being blunt and honest, I am fair and I want the best for my school. If you want to ask me anything, feel free but please don't get offended

P.S. sorry to any posters who may see me as attacking their position but I am being blunt and honest, I am fair and I want the best for my school. If you want to ask me anything, feel free but please don't get offended

The whole School's sector needs more straight talking people like yourself.

I don't know why anyone would get offended.

Can you answer this:
    Why would a school ask me for my TC reg number & then get me to be Garda vetted again, aswell as ask for copies of my transcripts & parchments even though I had to submit them to the TC?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

Can you answer this:
    Why would a school ask me for my TC reg number & then get me to be Garda vetted again, aswell as ask for copies of my transcripts & parchments even though I had to submit them to the TC?

I dont know why this would be asked but it's possible that in the time since your vetting was done originally you could have become a made murderer or something.

As for the parchment the tc reg should confirm that this exists. I would imagine that the transcript is very important. If tout did a combined degree it is possible that you could have aced one subject and scraped the other not good if you are looking to teach the second subject imo

happyiwthlife: i would put down all teaching experience in Chron order but bold anything that is substantial. I also promote reasons for not being in any CID situation e.g. I travelled for 2 years in USA, I abstained from teaching to raise kids etc etc. It always looks better ans I would always get a bit suss of people who sub a lot but for no reason. A quick call to any relevant principal will tell me the story to be honest.
    You could do something abbreviated such as 2010-2011: subbing in 5 schools including:..... and put down the rough ones especially because they are the best experience.
    Don't labour non teaching info, we don't want to know. (sorry, but being blunt)

TheDriver - thanks a mill for that - nope i only ever put down teaching experience anyway so at least was getting that right .... but your simple bit of " 2010-2011 subbing in xyz " is prob a bit more clear cut than the way i was phrasing it so thanks for that !! !
    and i do take pains at interview stage to point out schools have often asked me back but i may not always have been in a position to take on the work (if i had found work elsewhere in the meantime say) ... thanks again i appreciate the feedback !

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Geologyrocks

TheDriver- how do you go about shortlisting? Do you start with TC reg, and then move onto years experience? Or is it just a general overall impression that you get of the person from their CV? I know it depends on the school but wouldn't mind knowing a general list of what the management are focusing in on exactly?

Inspector: we ask for garda vetting and transcripts because its whats on the checklist from the VEC but its only a procedure for payroll i.e. hons degree etc. TC only tell us what your qualified to teach but don't specify to us what salary level with regard allowances. Also you could have gotten a masters since your TC reg. Vetting, exactly as another poster said, you could have done stuff since your vetting.

Geology: We go through CVs and throw out/exclude anyone without TC reg or wrong quals. Then we interview after that (VEC rules) which means 5 mins to whip through a lot. Thats why you might see some strange combos, to cut down on numbers applying which you can't blame us for because it can get tedious. Then we pick the best 4-5 and call them back for proper interview (and out of 40, you could pick the best 4-5 by simply 5 seconds into the interviews. CVs: one of the best CVs was the worst personalities I have ever met. Though strange rubbish does get noticed in a CV so be careful.
    I always ask general questions and see how they handle it, there is generally no right or wrong answer but sometimes people talk ill of their last school, their principal, students etc. Give a shovel and see if they dig a hole for themselves......

Thanks, I like the plain straight approach. Though no one gets offended? Try managing a unionised education staff.................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Schools can very easily "move somebody on" after a one year contract if they are not happy with them.

Anybody who has taught for 3 years in the one school has legitimate reason to be upset about being let go. (Of course it may be unavoidable with recent cuts). Anybody teaching in their own hours in the one school/VEC for four years is entitled to a CID if those hours are still viable for the next year, so yes they do deserve it.

It is, of course, commendable that management wants the best for their school and obviously nobody wants a "lame duck". However, it should be obvious if that is the case after a year and such "lame ducks" should not be offered another contract. Not dealing with a poor teacher early on is poor management. This issue should not be arising after 3 years!

In most VECs your principal has to complete a probation report after the first year. That should be the norm in all schools.

I would also have to agree with delta bravo that, while there are certainly teachers who apply for positions they aren't qualified for, there are also schools advertising for illogical combinations. The example of Tech Graphics, English and Geography for instance.

In most VECs your principal has to complete a probation report after the first year.

Unfortunately not the case and also its very dangerous putting pen to paper about someones career because something bad and the whole grievance procedure is brought into play. Its a lot more difficult to just let people go after one year than you imagine, you generally have to change the specs of the role to avoid someone asking questions through their union.
    I agree with you in general but it sounds a lot easier than you think and I am the type of person who prefers to make sure that the person isn't wondering why they are left go after year 3 but its not the easiest of systems either. We all have our job to do and mind our own corner. I think NQTs don't realise the pressures and strains on school management and the inflexibility of the system and the immense politics that it takes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Unfortunately not the case and also its very dangerous putting pen to paper about someones career because something bad and the whole grievance procedure is brought into play. Its a lot more difficult to just let people go after one year than you imagine, you generally have to change the specs of the role to avoid someone asking questions through their union.

It happens all the time in my VEC. We seem to have no problems with letting people go due to their being unsatisfactory, and principals manage just fine with filling out a probation report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

@ TheDriver,

Can I ask you in particular about maths teachers. I taught maths for a year in a secondary school. The principal in the school told me that he got lots of cv's from "qualified" maths teachers but on interview, they hesitated at the prospect of teaching higher level maths. He said that this is a common occurance. Incidently, while I was there, one of the permanent maths teachers went on sick leave. He was replaced by a series of "qualified maths teachers" who hadn't a bloody clue. I was appalled by this.

Have you had similar experience and have you any suggestions how to highlight ones ability to teach maths to higher level?

The Body: I would concur, we get qualified maths teachers who don't have a bulls notion of senior cycle, they tend to come from courses that havedifferent maths than the leaving cert course (though this could change with PM). e.g. integration is easy to someone who did physics and maths whereas some business and maths teachers seem to struggle with it. A generalisation I know but thats the vibe we get. You will also notice problems with classroom management because maths is a bit more boring or NQTs who can't hack kids who can barely do the maths but hanging onto higher level. Lastly, its one of the subjects that good kids will fire problems at the teacher and expect answers so unless the teacher is willing to put in the work and has the knowledge, we get calls from parents and those calls come in hard and fast once they start. A good lengthy session of hanging a poster outside the teachers room can also yield good info about them.
    Regarding your own position, put it in bold in the initial bit about being prepared for HL LC maths, don't spout about being ready for PM because everyone should be at this stage. Include any info on giving tuition/grinds in HL LC maths is applicable.

Also note we look for Maths and..... because its very hard to fill timetables with maths alone. Sometimes people have bad combinations with maths.
    Again sorry if people get offended by the above but thats the way we look at these and I am sure other schools do likewise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement