Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Back to Education Allowance worth it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

paperclip2 wrote: »
    The change to the Grant and BTEA rules whereby you get one or the other is fairly recent, about 2/3 years I think. Previously you could get both and if you had started in third level before the change was introduced you weren't affected by it for the remainder of your course. These days for people on OPFP or Disability, they are still allowed keep the DSP payment and get the grant etc.

OPFP?

I actually have a genetic disorder with my blood, and a lady at the DSP when realising I missed a signing day due to a hospital treatment suggested I have a look over the disability forms and leaflets etc. She gave them too me but I never followed it up because I was actively seeking work and I knew that I also had this September's course on the horizon.

I did not know if I was on Disability I could have both the grant and BTEA, do you think I still have time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

dusf wrote: »
    OPFP?
    One Parent Family Payment. :)
    I actually have a genetic disorder with my blood, and a lady at the DSP when realising I missed a signing day due to a hospital treatment suggested I have a look over the disability forms and leaflets etc. She gave them too me but I never followed it up because I was actively seeking work and I knew that I also had this September's course on the horizon.

I did not know if I was on Disability I could have both the grant and BTEA, do you think I still have time?

Usually you need to be on Disability for a while before getting permission from DSP to attend college and retain the payment. It might be too late for this year and once you are on BTEA it might be difficult to get Disability but honestly I'm not sure.
    DSP might be the only ones who can tell you that.

Just to clarify if you are on disability and study full time its not that you are given BTEA and the grant, its that you keep your disability payment, (and free travel etc) and the fact that you aren't on BTEA means you can apply for the grant.
    Its a small technical distinction but an important one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 fennellryan

Are you allowed to work part time whilst you are receiving the Back to Education Allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Are you allowed to work part time whilst you are receiving the Back to Education Allowance?

Yes

Yes

Will that affect rent allowance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭rob w

Im on the btea, and it's a far better option than the grant.....if you can get it, I advise you do!

As for the student contribution, that can be paid for too if your on btea once you meet the criteria, I had mine paid last year. I literally did not have to pay a penny for last year! You just have to fill out the grant application form to be considered for it first! The form is a bit of a pain but it will save you a pile of money! :)

You can also work while on btea, and not affect your payment, so you still get the full 188e. This is what I plan on doing this year and should be no problem to afford rent/bills with 2 or 3 shifts a week!

Best of luck :D

rob w wrote: »
    You can also work while on btea, and not affect your payment, so you still get the full 188e. This is what I plan on doing this year and should be no problem to afford rent/bills with 2 or 3 shifts a week!

Best of luck :D

Are you in receipt of rent allowance? Has or will working mean you can no longer receive it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭rob w

Are you in receipt of rent allowance? Has or will working mean you can no longer receive it?

No not on rent allowance, but working and btea should be enough, I'd probably have to be assessed for it I suppose!

But I do know that you need to be renting for at least 6 months in a place before you can apply for the allowance, and show that a change of income or whatever makes it difficult to cover the rent!!

OPFP?

I did not know if I was on Disability I could have both the grant and BTEA, do you think I still have time?[/QUOTE]

This is incorrect, if on disability you require written permission from DA section to attend any course. You will not receive both BTEA & DA while on disability, you may be entitled to the grant if on DA. However, you will be subject to medical assessments at the behest of DA and if you are deemed fit for work you will have to survive on the grant only.

Will that affect rent allowance?

It may do as it will be subject to means test.

• Advertisement

OPFP?

I did not know if I was on Disability I could have both the grant and BTEA, do you think I still have time?[/QUOTE]

This is incorrect, if on disability you require written permission from DA section to attend any course. You will not receive both BTEA & DA while on disability, you may be entitled to the grant if on DA. However, you will be subject to medical assessments at the behest of DA and if you are deemed fit for work you will have to survive on the grant only.

How is someone deemed unfit to work able to study full time?

How is someone deemed unfit to work able to study full time?

Lots of ways, 1 e.g, you may have a back injury which prevents you from performing your usual manual tasks. However, your ability to study will not be affected, therefore you may be able to get permission from DA to attend a full time course of study. Just one example, i'm sure you can think of many others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

I didn't know if I should start a new thread or just post here so sorry if it seems like I'm hijacking this thread.

Ok so here goes,

Just received word that my BTEA came through, happy days.

I also applied for the grant, I know you cannot receive the two payments at the same time so if my grant application is successful would I be able to choose which one I can get or the fact that my BTEA has been successful does this mean that I now cannot get the maintenance grant???

I am on OPFP and will revert to BTEA if I take this option. During the summer months will my payment revert back to OPFP??

If I don't go on the BTEA can I get my OPFP and the maintenance grant at the same time?

Sorry for all the questions, I hope yiz can help me.

Oh, and if I am able to choose, which one do people think would be better for my circumstance.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

PlainP wrote: »
    I didn't know if I should start a new thread or just post here so sorry if it seems like I'm hijacking this thread.

Ok so here goes,

I also applied for the grant, I know you cannot receive the two payments at the same time so if my grant application is successful would I be able to choose which one I can get or the fact that my BTEA has been successful does this mean that I now cannot get the maintenance grant???

I am on OPFP and will revert to BTEA if I take this option. During the summer months will my payment revert back to OPFP??

If I don't go on the BTEA can I get my OPFP and the maintenance grant at the same time?

Oh, and if I am able to choose, which one do people think would be better for my circumstance.

Thanks in advance.

If you get BTEA you can also get the grant to pay the 2000 Eur student contribution fee. Just tell SUSI you are getting BTEA and they will note this and make sure your fees are paid . I think that you keep benefits during the summer.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Ok so here goes,

Thanks in advance.

OP, as you are on OPFP if you get permission to study from DSP you can keep the OPFP and get the maintenance grant as well as the fee grant. The only downside is that it might affect your rent allowance if you are on that. It could be the case that if you go on BTEA you lose out on the Maintenance grant which could be a loss of up to €5,915 over the year.
    Talk to the DSP or Citizens infomation to see which would be the best option financially for you.

DSP?

So did I need this permission before I applied for the grant?

I also got word today that I don't qualify for the free fees (which I thought I would) so if I don't qualify for the grant I won't be able to go to college full stop.

I'm all over the place today. :(

Have you already started studying? Did you get a letter from your institution to that effect?

I have a letter saying I was accepted on the course, but when I last checked the admissions office they will not give me a letter for the BTEA until registration is complete, and it was even mentioned today by someone else 'they are looking for your student ID and number', which I'm not sure is a reference to the department or the admissions office although the former never asked me for those before...

I'm supposed to be registering online this week

But

I cannot register fully without the fees being paid and I have been told that I don't qualify for the free fees (which I am appealing) so I am now waiting on SUSI to get back to me about the grant. I'm going to ring them in the morning.

I'm not very hopeful tbh...

It'll all seems like such a waste if the grant doesn't happen for me.

I'm not very hopeful tbh...

Don't beat yourself up.
    I'm supposed to be registering online this week

But

I cannot register fully without the fees being paid and I have been told that I don't qualify for the free fees (which I am appealing) so I am now waiting on SUSI to get back to me about the grant. I'm going to ring them in the morning.
    It'll all seems like such a waste if the grant doesn't happen for me.

I'm very sorry to hear you are having problems, I hope everything works out. Appeals are there for a reason, decisions on this sort of thing ARE overturned, make sure you stress the DSP deemed you fit for the BTEA, so surely you should be fit for the fees.

I am wondering if I should tell you to get down to your local Citizen's Advice Bureau in the morning, they should be able to help you somehow, and who knows, possibly make representations on your behalf.

Thanks for all that, I just got a bit of knock today but I'm sure things will look better (clearer) tomorrow.

I'll get onto the SUSI in the AM and then down to the citizens info..

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

My appeal has not been successful, I am required to pay the full amount less the registration charge which would have been paid by SUSI.

I now have to withdraw my place in college.

Devastated doesn't even come close.....

My appeal has not been successful, I am required to pay the full amount less the registration charge which would have been paid by SUSI.

Why do you need to pay fees if you don't mind me asking? Do you already have a third level qualification?

Why do you need to pay fees if you don't mind me asking? Do you already have a third level qualification?

Yes I have a Diploma in Electronic engineering. The course I wanted to do is digital media engineering (degree).

The way I understood it was if I was progressing in the same field (engineering) that I wouldn't have to pay the fees. The college tell me that because I'm starting from year 1 that I am actually not progressing.

Had I known this when I applied I would have tried to get into 2nd or even 3rd year.

It states on the site that if you hold a diploma and are progressing to a degree you may qualify.

I applied based on this information, put all my eggs in one basket.

I feel like such a fool. Sorry if I sound like I'm feeling sorry for myself but as I said earlier I'm just devastated.

Yes I have a Diploma in Electronic engineering. The course I wanted to do is digital media engineering (degree).

The way I understood it was if I was progressing in the same field (engineering) that I wouldn't have to pay the fees. The college tell me that because I'm starting from year 1 that I am actually not progressing.

Had I known this when I applied I would have tried to get into 2nd or even 3rd year.

It states on the site that if you hold a diploma and are progressing to a degree you may qualify.

I feel like such a fool. Sorry if I sound like I'm feeling sorry for myself but as I said earlier I'm just devastated.

You're entitled to be very disappointed and p***ed off so no you aren't coming across like you're feeling sorry for yourself. :(

The rule that caught you out is a bit of a sod. When they say that you can receive free fees when progressing from a diploma to a degree they don't mean a brand new degree. What they are referring to is the one year top-up course that brings the existing level 7 to a level 8.

If your existing level 7 has a significant degree of overlap with the new level 8 is there any chance that you could get advanced entry to the level 8 course at this stage? Have you spoke to the college about this option now?

Take care PP.

Is there anyway they will let you start from second year? Explain your situation and enquire today! And if not, and if the worst comes to the worst and you really cannot, please enquire if it would be possible to do so next year, that way as disappointed as you may be over this year you will at least have the knowledge next year you will be able to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭antkeane

When did you get your engineering diploma? if it was 6 years ago or more you are entitled to free fees.

:rolleyes:
    antkeane wrote: »
    When did you get your engineering diploma? if it was 6 years ago or more you are entitled to free fees.

I got my diploma back in 1999 - 2000 term.

I received the maintenance grant for the three years (96-99). This is why I am not eligible for the free fees. They said I am eligible for the free fees for the fourth year of my degree just not the first three.

You're entitled to be very disappointed and p***ed off so no you aren't coming across like you're feeling sorry for yourself. :(

The rule that caught you out is a bit of a sod. When they say that you can receive free fees when progressing from a diploma to a degree they don't mean a brand new degree. What they are referring to is the one year top-up course that brings the existing level 7 to a level 8.

If your existing level 7 has a significant degree of overlap with the new level 8 is there any chance that you could get advanced entry to the level 8 course at this stage? Have you spoke to the college about this option now?

Take care PP.

I have written to the registry about my predicament and I'm awaiting a response.
    Is there anyway they will let you start from second year? Explain your situation and enquire today! And if not, and if the worst comes to the worst and you really cannot, please enquire if it would be possible to do so next year, that way as disappointed as you may be over this year you will at least have the knowledge next year you will be able to start.

I'm going to write to the engineering department and the person in charge of the course now and see if I get any response.

antkeane wrote: »

Have just checked this with Dept of Ed and they said no, that you only get free fees if you left the original course without any qualification at least five years ago.

• Advertisement

I have written to the registry about my predicament and I'm awaiting a response.

I'm going to write to the engineering department and the person in charge of the course now and see if I get any response.

If it was me I would ring them as well. Letters/ emails can get 'lost' especially at this time of the year.

Advertisement