Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Back to Education Allowance worth it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭computer44

I recieve disability allowance and I can still retain it while in college. I also got the choice of RA OR the full special grant of 2,480. I choose the RA. Just did the sums in my head in 2 minutes. I cannot work because of my disability but with OPFA and DA you can work 19 hours a week once approved by your GP which he would encourage if you wished. If the disaster of last year happens with SUSI, I would know what I would wish to recieve. The RA can be got even in college because it is a means tested payment. No CWO is going to tell you to leave college to claim the RA especially if your in the middle of your undergrad. It would be tomorrows front page news and him/her moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MaireadC89

Does anyone know if you can get the Susi grant if you are receiving Rent Allowance? I am n one parent family payment,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

MaireadC89 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can get the Susi grant if you are receiving Rent Allowance? I am n one parent family payment,

Yes you can receive it. However any increase in your income will affect your rate of rent allowance or you may lose it altogether. That's what the rules say although the implementation of them is patchy and can depend on the area you are in and your CWO. In the past the CWO's were HSE staff. Now they are DSP so there's more scrutiny of the payments they make.

Also if you elect to keep one parent family payment and get the grant your medical card will probably be means tested after 3 years.

I've attached some info I got from Citizens Information on the guidelines around education funding. I'd suggest talking to CIC to work out exactly how much money/ support you will get on the grant and opfp versus what you would get if you switch to BTEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gemmag75899

Can anyone help me please i have been recently accepted into college and i am on JSA but my baby boy was added onto my claim because i still want to work. if i was to apply for BTEA would i still be paid for my baby ? he is only 4 months old i wouldnt be able to attend collage if my money is cut ?

Can anyone help me please i have been recently accepted into college and i am on JSA but my baby boy was added onto my claim because i still want to work. if i was to apply for BTEA would i still be paid for my baby ? he is only 4 months old i wouldnt be able to attend collage if my money is cut ?

Yes OP, BTEA will include any increases your JSA has for qualified dependants. Also if you are under 26 and on a reduced rate of JSA your payments may be increased to a max of €160 per week. If you are over 26 your BTEA will stay at the same amount as it is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Gemmag75899

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Yes OP, BTEA will include any increases your JSA has for qualified dependants. Also if you are under 26 and on a reduced rate of JSA your payments may be increased to a max of €160 per week. If you are over 26 your BTEA will stay at the same amount as it is now.

thanks ill be going down to them today see what they say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CBDexia

Hey guys just wondering if anyone can help. At the moment im working in a dead end job and i want to quit. The plan was to work and save and go to college in 2015 but hours have been slashed (not as little for me to claim). Now im considering going on jobseekers so i can claim btea. Im wondering am i better off? Do you have to pay the soon going to be €3000 contribution fee? Ive been to college before and got the grant the first two years so im not eligible to get it until my third year. Will that have an effect on my btea? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nobodyknows

CBDexia wrote: »
    Hey guys just wondering if anyone can help. At the moment im working in a dead end job and i want to quit. The plan was to work and save and go to college in 2015 but hours have been slashed (not as little for me to claim). Now im considering going on jobseekers so i can claim btea. Im wondering am i better off? Do you have to pay the soon going to be €3000 contribution fee? Ive been to college before and got the grant the first two years so im not eligible to get it until my third year. Will that have an effect on my btea? Thanks in advance.

when you say "first two years" do you mean that you were on a course but dropped out ? because if your over 23 and there has been a gap of 5 years between dropping out and the time you plan to start the new course then you could be classed as a second chance student which mean you can apply for a grant again to cover the fees and contribution charge.
    if not then you will need to pay the €3000 plus the fees for the course which depending on the course could be an extra few hundred or thousand euro

whether or not you've got to pay the €3000 + fees does not effect your claim for BTEA.

when you say "first two years" do you mean that you were on a course but dropped out ? because if your over 23 and there has been a gap of 5 years between dropping out and the time you plan to start the new course then you could be classed as a second chance student which mean you can apply for a grant again to cover the fees and contribution charge.
    if not then you will need to pay the €3000 plus the fees for the course which depending on the course could be an extra few hundred or thousand euro

whether or not you've got to pay the €3000 + fees does not effect your claim for BTEA.

I have dropped out yes. That was back in 2009. I've rang SUSI and they told me that I had to wait the 5 years but wouldn't get a grant until my third year because I got one the 2 years I was in college. As for fees I'm sure I don't have to pay them as I'm an EU citizen and I haven't completed my level 8...if I'm wrong I will have a heart attack :l

I have dropped out yes. That was back in 2009. I've rang SUSI and they told me that I had to wait the 5 years but wouldn't get a grant until my third year because I got one the 2 years I was in college.
    I'd check that again with SUSI, I know a few people who returned to college after the 5 year gap and got the grant from the first year of the new course, there was no need to way the 2 or 3 years.
    I'm also planing to return to college this september after a 5 year gap and SUSI have told be directly that they will cover me from the start of the new course.
    As for fees I'm sure I don't have to pay them as I'm an EU citizen and I haven't completed my level 8...if I'm wrong I will have a heart attack :l
    with the "Free Fees Initiative" there is also a 5 year rule where after a 5 year gap there is like a do over but if you don't qualify for this then you've got to pay the full fees for equivalent period of time spent on the first course, the fact that you didn't complete your level 8 doesn't mean you'll get free fees again.

So basically you should get free fees because it been 5 years NOT because you didn't complete your degree (e.g. if you had of tried to return to college in 2013 when the gap was just 4 years, you would of had to pay full fees)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

What nobodyknows says is correct - if there has been a five year between your previous course and your next one you should qualify as a second chance student adn have your fees etc paid. You will not receive a grant, but this is more than made up for by BTEA.

One thing I would suggest though is to make sure you will qualify for SUSI/BTEA before you quit your job, as they are quite strict about number of days on JS etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Looking for some advice. I was on jsa for 2 years, started a Tús position in January 2014 and I'm starting a full time college course in September 2014. I'm looking to apply for the Back to Education Allowance so when should I finish the Tús position and when should I put forward the application for the Back to Education Allowance? Should I anticipate Amy problems with the application.

What nobodyknows says is correct - if there has been a five year between your previous course and your next one you should qualify as a second chance student adn have your fees etc paid. You will not receive a grant, but this is more than made up for by BTEA.

One thing I would suggest though is to make sure you will qualify for SUSI/BTEA before you quit your job, as they are quite strict about number of days on JS etc.

Thanks for that. I didn't realise you'd have to pay for fees, that's insane.

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Looking for some advice. I was on jsa for 2 years, started a Tús position in January 2014 and I'm starting a full time college course in September 2014. I'm looking to apply for the Back to Education Allowance so when should I finish the Tús position and when should I put forward the application for the Back to Education Allowance? Should I anticipate Amy problems with the application.

If you came off the jsa I don't think you'll qualify for btea. That's the problem I'm having. You have to be on jsa for 9 months before you can get the btea and even if you are unemployed while during your course you won't be able to get btea throughout your degree.

I'd check that again with SUSI, I know a few people who returned to college after the 5 year gap and got the grant from the first year of the new course, there was no need to way the 2 or 3 years.
    I'm also planing to return to college this september after a 5 year gap and SUSI have told be directly that they will cover me from the start of the new course.

with the "Free Fees Initiative" there is also a 5 year rule where after a 5 year gap there is like a do over but if you don't qualify for this then you've got to pay the full fees for equivalent period of time spent on the first course, the fact that you didn't complete your level 8 doesn't mean you'll get free fees again.

So basically you should get free fees because it been 5 years NOT because you didn't complete your degree (e.g. if you had of tried to return to college in 2013 when the gap was just 4 years, you would of had to pay full fees)

Wow that's insane. Anywhere I read up about fees never said anything like that. Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

lads my local obair told me last year that BTEA now only pays you your weekly dole and that's it. When I asked for help with things like books, grants ect. Obair said i'd be wasting my time..

I want to get a level 6 hetac course this year but no way i'd be able to afford it on 144 a week..

carzony wrote: »
    lads my local obair told me last year that BTEA now only pays you your weekly dole and that's it. When I asked for help with things like books, grants ect. Obair said i'd be wasting my time..

I want to get a level 6 hetac course this year but no way i'd be able to afford it on 144 a week..

if you are under 26 you can be brought up to a max of €160 per week on BTEA.

If you are over that age that's when you stay on the same rate of payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭Guffy

How can I check when I was last registered in college?

gufc21 wrote: »
    How can I check when I was last registered in college?

Contact the college would be your best bet I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭Guffy

Ha ya guess that would have been the smart move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

I on a casual work payment, I work three days a week, and I have been accepted for a degree in UCD. I know I qualify for BTEA and I have been on it before while on a casual work payment. It was a course lower than level 8 and once you are progressing in level you are covered.

What I want to know is if there is something else I should also be applying for regarding fees or any other supports? I had understood there was no point applying for SUSI if going the BTEA route, is this correct? Is there anything else I should apply for?

dusf wrote: »
    What I want to know is if there is something else I should also be applying for regarding fees or any other supports? I had understood there was no point applying for SUSI if going the BTEA route, is this correct? Is there anything else I should apply for?

BTEA will just give you your SW entitlements each week. SUSI cover may cover your tuition fees etc. If you are not sure if you qualify I would apply either way, worst case you don't qualify and you are exactly where you are now.

BTEA will just give you your SW entitlements each week. SUSI cover may cover your tuition fees etc. If you are not sure if you qualify I would apply either way, worst case you don't qualify and you are exactly where you are now.

Thanks, I will apply before the July 1st deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

There's no SUSI deadline that I'm aware of.

There's no SUSI deadline that I'm aware of.

The deadline is 1st of August.
    They will take applications after this date but they wont even be looked at until the first lot are fully sorted so late application will have a longer wait time until you get approved or denied.

As advised I am still going to apply no matter what but I thought I had heard it was one or the other, BTEA or SUSI.

I know a few years ago students were able to get BTEA, the entire grant, study, and work part time without any reductions to any payment.

The grant is divided into a number of sections
    • Fee grant for Student Contribution, (€2750 in Sept 2014)
    • Maintenance Grant
    • Tuition Fee grant
    • Field Trip grant

If you get BTEA you are not eligible for the maintenance portion of the grant however you may be eligible for the remaining portions.

The tuition fee element is only applicable in certain cases where the governments Free Fee initiative may not apply.

The rules regarding receipt of both BTEA and the maintenance grant were changed in 2010 so it was one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

dusf wrote: »
    As advised I am still going to apply no matter what but I thought I had heard it was one or the other, BTEA or SUSI.

I know a few years ago students were able to get BTEA, the entire grant, study, and work part time without any reductions to any payment.

If you get BTEA you also can apply to SUSI for a fee only grant

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Hello, sorry to interupt the thread, i thought i was better to ask here then create a new thread on BTEA, My question is do you have to apply for BTEA before a certain time? i.e is there a closing date for applications for it? Thanks

• Advertisement

I've been told its within one month from the start date of the course. Other people in our area were told it was by the 30th of September. Best thing to do is check with your local office I'd say.

Advertisement