Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Back to Education Allowance worth it?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭Guffy

HausOfTony wrote: »
    Are you still able to collect your JSA while you wait for a decision to be made re: BTEA?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

sorry if this has been asked already but.. can you recieve btea and a susi grant together?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

carzony wrote: »
    sorry if this has been asked already but.. can you recieve btea and a susi grant together?

I'm on BTEA and have just been approved for the student contribution/tuition fees. I won't be getting the maintenance grant though as its not possible whilst receiving BTEA

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ioc

hi guys just a question if be... im 27yr old a mature student this summer i want to go nyc on a j1visa and work! im on back to education allowence.. currently my first year also!.. how will this plan out for me when im back??...any advice would be grateful cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

I applied for btea last year, I started a level 7 degree in September, I was refused on the basis that I have an unrelated level 8 degree, I can only just about pay for the fees for semester 2 next week. Is there any way around this or does the system just look at it as 'I had my chance already'.
    I Was also refused the SUSI because at the time I had a bit of savings but that's been spent on petrol food living costs etc, obviously I need a part time job but that remains elusive, hoping to hear something in the next few days about an interview.
    I'm not trying to ride the system or anything but is there any assistance I could avail of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I applied for btea last year, I started a level 7 degree in September, I was refused on the basis that I have an unrelated level 8 degree, I can only just about pay for the fees for semester 2 next week. Is there any way around this or does the system just look at it as 'I had my chance already'.
    I Was also refused the SUSI because at the time I had a bit of savings but that's been spent on petrol food living costs etc, obviously I need a part time job but that remains elusive, hoping to hear something in the next few days about an interview.
    I'm not trying to ride the system or anything but is there any assistance I could avail of?

would you not do a level 9 then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

carzony wrote: »
    would you not do a level 9 then?

Unfortunatly for me I didn't do well enough in my level 8 only attaining a pass grade which prevented me from going on to do a post grad.
    Felt I had to cut my losses and start again with something else, after 3 years of my current course I'll have the option of going onto a level 8 with a 4th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tirchonaill86

How much can you earn while on BTEA without it affecting your rent supplement does anybody know please? Without it affecting your right to BTEA in the next year of your course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Hey just wondering how long it took for them to process your applications? sweating on mine as I need it badly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

So I take it people are applying for BTEA now? I assume you'll keep your current DSP payment until term starts in September??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Hey just wondering how long it took for them to process your applications? sweating on mine as I need it badly!

Last year I applied first week in August and I had an approval letter about a week later.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

How much can you earn while on BTEA without it affecting your rent supplement does anybody know please? Without it affecting your right to BTEA in the next year of your course.

working part-time during the year does not affect your BTEA* - however, your rent allowance and any other secondary allowance will be means tested from the start.

*if it is a permanent part time job this may differ and stories vary, however as if it is a different part-time job each year you should be ok.

Advertisement