Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Evangelical Christians here?

• 22-06-2012 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Are there any evangelical, Bible believing Christians posting here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Welcome. And yes there is many who post here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I think that most Christians believe the Bible one way or another! ;)

Seriously, there are several evangelical posters here. And welcome, it's good to see another Naas person in the forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

Plenty. Although we don't have official census figures I think among the posters Evangelicals are in majority here and we even have a number of pastors who post here regularly.

Welcome to the forum, enjoy it!
    Benny_Cake wrote: »
    In fairness, Evangelicals did not start this mess. :)

If Catholics called themselves Catholic it does not mean that the other Christians consider themselves not believing in the Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church as said in the creed.

If Orthodox called themselves Orthodox then it does not mean that other Christians consider themselves heterodox.

So it Evangelicals now call themselves Bible believing then the others should not panic either! ;)

Slav wrote: »
    So it Evangelicals now call themselves Bible believing then the others should not panic either! ;)

Absolutely, I was being strictly tongue in cheek - this actually came up on another thread recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭HamletOrHecuba

Most people who call themselves Christians in the west do NOT believe the Bible.

Once who blame God for the origin of death and corruption you cannot be said to be believe in the Bible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Hi, Welcome.

I'm one and there are others. A rough guess on my behalf is that about a fifth who post here fit that category. Catholics and Atheists are well-represent too. The odd Jew, Muslim and JW drop in.

Perhaps a well-formed poll would give an accurate figure.

John 6:63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. 64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him. 65 And He said, “Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.”

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NaasPreacher

Plenty. Although we don't have official census figures I think among the posters Evangelicals are in majority here and we even have a number of pastors who post here regularly.

Thanks, I am actually an evangelical pastor of a small church in Naas. Hence 'NaasPreacher' :-) .

Thanks to all for the replies.

Seriously, there are several evangelical posters here. And welcome, it's good to see another Naas person in the forum!

I understand what you mean, and guess I should have been clearer. I meant Bible believing in the sense of striving to make the Bible the ultimate source of faith and practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

My definition of an evangelical Christian is one that has an understanding for lost souls, one that is not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ, not ashamed to go out on the streets handing out salvation tracts or preach rom the pulpit, the street street corner and where ever else they can witness.

I understand what you mean, and guess I should have been clearer. I meant Bible believing in the sense of striving to make the Bible the ultimate source of faith and practice.

Actually, you were quite clear, don't worry about it. Just have to figure out which church you are pastor of now!:) I was quite surprised by the variety of churches in the town when I first moved here.

• Advertisement

My definition of an evangelical Christian is one that has an understanding for lost souls, one that is not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ, not ashamed to go out on the streets handing out salvation tracts or preach rom the pulpit, the street street corner and where ever else they can witness.

I think all those are great, but I tend to try to focus on getting to know people so that when I share my faith it has my like backing it up.

The tools you mention are great ones as well, for those the Lord leads in that direction.

Welcome to the forum, enjoy it!

In fairness, Evangelicals did not start this mess. :)

If Catholics called themselves Catholic it does not mean that the other Christians consider themselves not believing in the Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church as said in the creed.

If Orthodox called themselves Orthodox then it does not mean that other Christians consider themselves heterodox.

Wow! That's a good defence of the statement - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭HamletOrHecuba

Where is Naas?

The name sounds almost middle eastern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Where is Naas?

The name sounds almost middle eastern.

Traditionally it was the Meeting place of Kings of Ireland in the pre-Norman times. It's in Co. Kildare, not too far from Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Take the path to Aqaba, through the mountains of despair and stay on the N2 to Ballintuburd and that is where you will find the tribe they call Naas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Welcome to the forum. I hope to read what you have to have to say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Welcome indeed. If you're a pastor in a small church there, I'm guessing its not Open Arms you go to? :)

keano_afc wrote: »
    Welcome indeed. If you're a pastor in a small church there, I'm guessing its not Open Arms you go to? :)

Uh, no :)

Lets just say that we are quite a bit smaller than Open Arms :)

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Welcome to the boards, naaspreacher.

I've be wondering how to answer your question, so i'll give you two answers, feel free to choose the one you would like.

No, I am not an Evangelical Christian, i'm a Catholic of the Latin Rite.

Yes, I am an Evangelical christian.
    I am a Christian because I have given my life to Jesus and he is my Lord and Saviour.
    I am Evangelical because i believe in the full gospel of Jesus Christ, which he communicated to us while on earth, and which has come down to us in the power of the Holy Spirit through
    a)his inerrant word in Scripture (all of it, including the seven books you have probably ditched out of your bible),
    b)his teaching and actions handed on in the tradition of the Church (which scripture attests to in 1 Cor 11:2 'Now I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I delivered them to you.' and also in 2 THessalonians 2:15 'So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by our spoken word or by our letter.')
    c)and through the recieving of the power of Holy Spirit through baptism (Matt 28:19)

Or perhaps a third answer might help.

I love Jesus. I love his people, and you sound like one of them to me. I love discussing the bible and the meaning of things. And i love the mix of people on this board. What fun.:)

Advertisement